PDA

View Full Version : any hikers on here younger than 40??

catingeorgia
12-16-2010, 20:39
so i'm 27 years old and i backpack on a regular basis. i find these forums very educational, entertaining, and satisfying. the only issue i have is trying to find others in their 20's who i can meet and devolope friendships with on here. really no disrespect to the "older" wise men and women of the community, but i feel like maybe someone my age would be able to see me at my level better. if anyone is interested in making a new friendship, developing a relationship with another likeminded individual, or doin some backpacking then send me a friend request or pm and lets talk. thanks
:welcome

lucidglassj
12-16-2010, 23:12
I hear ya... I'm 26 and I don't know many people my age who like to backpack. I'm in Florida so I usually do part of the Florida Trail but I want to hike the AT but haven't had time yet. I often hike with people much older than me but I don't mind much... they know what works and what doesn't. I want to do the Pinhoti Trail in AL but I don't want to do it by myself because there's not too many people on the trail. I think I might have a couple weeks to do the AT in GA sometime next year. So many plans, so little time.

4eyedbuzzard
12-16-2010, 23:12
Just curious, but if you're trying to meet other hikers in their 20's (that would be <30 right ?), why would you ask "any hikers on here younger than 40"?

There sure seem to be a lot of "20 somethings" that post regularly on here. Then again, you're more in the minority now compared to when I was your age. My generation intentionally had fewer children so we could keep control of the political system, keep our SS, and make y'all pay for our retirement. We're evil. :D :welcome

ec.hiker
12-16-2010, 23:51
I think maybe the reason for the " in there 20's" part of his message is probably due to the fact at 27 you are still trying hard to hold onto the 20's!! Atleast I was I am 30 now and age isn't really a factor when hanging with friends but it is refreshing to see people my own age group on here and yes cat you are in my age group bro alot more than the early 20's age group!! I sent ya a message if you ever want to get together brother i am always down. I love to hike and try to go as much as I can!I am going to Soruck and wonder what the age diversity there is going to be. But the more I think about it the more it seems the age probably is the last thing I need to worry about we have Hiking in commom and that is alot in common if you really think about it.
Just curious, but if you're trying to meet other hikers in their 20's (that would be <30 right ?), why would you ask "any hikers on here younger than 40"?

There sure seem to be a lot of "20 somethings" that post regularly on here. Then again, you're more in the minority now compared to when I was your age. My generation intentionally had fewer children so we could keep control of the political system, keep our SS, and make y'all pay for our retirement. We're evil. :D :welcome

Ron Haven
12-17-2010, 00:55
Georgia Cat, the mass majority of thru hikers is under 40.

hobbs
12-17-2010, 01:11
Georgia Cat, the mass majority of thru hikers is under 40.
heard nothing but great things about you Mr Raven cannot wait to meet you and your family on my NOBO this spring. Please save me a spot. LOL have a goodin!

Mags
12-17-2010, 01:25
I had more fun in my 30s than I ever did in my 20s... :)

(Better shape, I am an active 4 season outdoor person, starting doing more about when I turned 30, dated a hell of a lot more too. Not coincidentally, I did the PCT in 2002 at 28 and never looked back)

Now, get off my lawn...:D

http://fabien.herbaut.free.fr/images/Abraham_Simpson.png

on_the_GOEZ
12-17-2010, 02:48
age is just a number. I find older people to be more interesting because of their experiences, which lends way to knowledge.

Speakeasy TN
12-17-2010, 07:52
The whippersnapper is in for a rude awakening! I hope he gets passed by one of our 50+ yr-old female members. That should keep him shook up well into his 30's! :banana

misadventurers
12-17-2010, 11:58
We (myself and my fiance) are 25. I mostly hiked alone for years until meeting my partner, because like you I found that none of my peers were into hiking like me. We've been trying to get geared up for backpacking since our very first date (hiking!), but unfortunately most of our time and money goes into starting our careers right now.

Our first backpacking experience will be on the North Carolina/Tennessee portion of the trail for a week in June - our honeymoon! (Most people - 20s or not - think we're nuts for this.)

kayak karl
12-17-2010, 12:09
but i feel like maybe someone my age would be able to see me at MY level better.
please explain?????

Teeah3612
12-17-2010, 12:17
On my section hike last May I met high school seniors and senior citizens, both ages where great folks and the fact that we had hiking in common bridged any ages differences.

TheYoungOne
12-17-2010, 12:24
I do find it funny. The just started hiking the AT, and my first hike I ran into 5 other hikers. and every one was over 50. I'm 40 and I felt like a young whipper snapper.

I camped and hiked a lot as a kid, and I did not get back into it again until I hit the mid 30's. I kick myself for that wasted time between 18 and 26. I had some adventures, but most of it involved boozing and partying. I could have easily thru hiked the AT back then. Now I have a wife, kid, and career, and responsibilities. The next oppurtunity I will have to thru hike will be as I approach retirement.

Maybe that is why you see so many older folks. They have the time and the income to do it.

skinewmexico
12-18-2010, 01:54
Maybe that is why you see so many older folks. They have the time and the income to do it.

And we did a terrible job of making our kids love the outdoors, for the most part.

ec.hiker
12-18-2010, 02:54
Something that is really weird is I used to be a really heavy drinker before my daugher was born and all I hung out with were old drunks now it seems i hang out with older hikers maybe I am just an old soul or someting

juma
12-18-2010, 16:25
I think this is the real situation - people who like to hike are rare no matter what the age. That they do get along well with each other, despite age differences, is because they all share some personality traits and an interest.

catingeorgia
12-18-2010, 19:59
please explain?????

MY level as in reference to "another like minded individual"...maybe someone who shares MY common interests other than backpacking...like climbing, beer thirty, and staying up past 9pm...jk but someone who is closer to my age really. meeting a lot of cool people now though after this thread so thanks for the responses everybody. i still enjoy a good conversation with anyone no matter the age so wise men and women dont be shy and send me a friend request because i enjoy meeting new people. i sure could use a good mentor. thanks

PEACE:cool:

kayak karl
12-18-2010, 20:36
i'm confused. you want a MENTOR?????????mentors tend to be older just by definition.
beer, up late and climbing drunk at nite?????? whatever floats you boat. :)

wornoutboots
12-18-2010, 20:50
I think this is the real situation - people who like to hike are rare no matter what the age. That they do get along well with each other, despite age differences, is because they all share some personality traits and an interest.

Well Said! The wilderness brings us all together due to our love & respect for it.

RANT -I have hiked with all types of hikers but I will say i did run into a group of some of the rudest ones I have ever encountered last year, they were thru hikers that were so proud & arrogant because they had hiked 400 & something miles. No offense to the 20 year olds because I have some awesome friends on & off the trail that age, but I learned from that that some ppl hike the trail to wear it as a feather in their cap & some do it for their love & bond with nature itself. To each their own, the good thing is the forest is a BIG place & if someone rubs you the wrong way, ignore them & thats the end of it.

lilricky
12-18-2010, 20:57
And we did a terrible job of making our kids love the outdoors, for the most part.

What? Whats wrong with dropping them way out in the sticks and driving off? :D

10-K
12-18-2010, 21:00
It's a fair question.

I've got friends that are older and younger than me but the people I seem to have the most in common with as far as life goes are the ones -/+ 5 years of my age.

wornoutboots
12-18-2010, 21:05
It's a fair question.

I've got friends that are older and younger than me but the people I seem to have the most in common with as far as life goes are the ones -/+ 5 years of my age.

I do agree

jerseydave
12-18-2010, 22:19
I'm 28............ with 20 years experience at it.
Age truly is only a number.
I actually still feel about 30 mentally, my body unfortunately disagrees.
One of my biggest fears is being old and nearing death, yet in my mind envisioning myself as 30ish wondering were all the years went.
Enjoy your youth, no matter how old you are!

Firefighter503
12-19-2010, 11:40
I am 25. Where are you located?

Nizhoni
12-24-2010, 12:51
I'm 29. Section hiking is my style....boss will not give my 6-7months off for a thru hike....but enjoying it all the same ;-)

Roche
12-24-2010, 13:45
Cut to the chase - you're just looking for chicks. Speaking of which, did that guy every find an "earthy" hiking partner?

Reid
12-24-2010, 14:39
I wouldn't get an internet site confused with the outdoors.

Joshuatree
12-24-2010, 18:31
I think the under 40 comment was just to keep from calling 30 somthings old. Just wait it will hit him one day he will be out and some cutie 21 year old will ask his age and when he replys she'll give him the classic "wow thats old" had that happen to me and I was only 26 at the time.
I find it hard to find people of any age who enjoy hiking and the couple I have found flat refuse to do any hiking other then out west even though they own a house within an few hours drive of most the AT and live within a couple hours of some major midwest hiking hot spots.

NCcummins
12-26-2010, 00:45
I'm 21 and plan on leaving for a thru hike around March 12th-15th. I'm from Asheville, NC

rapchizzle
12-27-2010, 15:55
I'm 22 and surprisingly can't find many people around Charleston who like to backpack much. I mean, I understand the "mountains" are 4 hours drive but still... I was a guide this summer and have dozens of friends around the country that enjoy backpacking but they're so far away, it's almost not worth it to go hike with them. What part of GA are you in?

Roche
12-27-2010, 18:54
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=58807&highlight=earthy+hiker

Joker4ink
12-27-2010, 20:03
I'm 29 from CT. If you every make it up here and need a shuttle or want a partner for a day or two let me know.

-Steve

Nizhoni
12-27-2010, 20:17
I'm 22 and surprisingly can't find many people around Charleston who like to backpack much. I mean, I understand the "mountains" are 4 hours drive but still... I was a guide this summer and have dozens of friends around the country that enjoy backpacking but they're so far away, it's almost not worth it to go hike with them. What part of GA are you in?

Hey rapchizzle.....My Hubby and I are 29&27 here in Savannah, Ga.....we both love hiking...Just got back from AT (North Ga part) for a bit of winter hiking.....Maybe we will eventually see you on the trail....Happy hiking ;-):banana

LoneRidgeRunner
01-01-2011, 22:22
I'm 25 with nearly 32 years experience. I have trouble finding ANYONE at ANY age who hikes except here on whiteblaze....It amazes me how many people are terrified of the woods (at every age) yet they will hang out in some of the roughest honky-tonks and walk the city streets at 3 am and drive home after a fifth of Jack Daniels..I knew a guy who suddenly got interested in backpacking, spent hundreds, even a few thousand bucks ( if you get quality gear it can add up in a hurry) on equipment 20 years ago and this guy has NEVER spent a single night in the woods. He's "scared" to go alone and he's such a rectum...lol..that no one will go with him...lol..I did a few day hikes with him and he's just not someone anyone you would want to share a campsite with even in separate tents..so if you can find a compatible hiking partner at ANY age consider it a blessing and forget the age differences...I actually prefer the soloing myself as I can set my own schedule, pace, etc and don't have to listen to any one's whining..etc...

Sonno
01-09-2011, 15:28
Less than 40... Check.
/wave :D

Bearpaw
01-09-2011, 16:21
I'm under 40 for another 5 months, so I guess I can help you. However, after June, you'll just have to pack sand. ;)

I know the trails in Nothern Georgia and southern Tennessee pretty well, so let me know if you have questions about them.

Cookerhiker
01-09-2011, 16:42
so i'm 27 years old and i backpack on a regular basis. i find these forums very educational, entertaining, and satisfying. the only issue i have is trying to find others in their 20's who i can meet and devolope friendships with on here. really no disrespect to the "older" wise men and women of the community, but i feel like maybe someone my age would be able to see me at my level better. if anyone is interested in making a new friendship, developing a relationship with another likeminded individual, or doin some backpacking then send me a friend request or pm and lets talk. thanks

I can understand why you'd prefer hiking with your age group: you don't want to suffer the embarassment of a 60-something leaving you in the dust:D (Just messin with ya - welcome to WB!

I had more fun in my 30s than I ever did in my 20s... :)

(Better shape, I am an active 4 season outdoor person, starting doing more about when I turned 30, dated a hell of a lot more too. Not coincidentally, I did the PCT in 2002 at 28 and never looked back)

Now, get off my lawn...:D

http://fabien.herbaut.free.fr/images/Abraham_Simpson.png

LOL - BTW, I'm in better hiking shape now than when I was in my 20s.

I'm 29. Section hiking is my style....boss will not give my 6-7months off for a thru hike....but enjoying it all the same ;-)

Yep, did my first AT section backpack at 29, finished the Trail at 57. Perhaps it won't take you as long....

FatherTime09
01-09-2011, 22:15
Seems like in your original post you were referring to whiteblaze in particular, and while I don't tend to pay attention to age on here, I thought I'd share my experience on the trail. I started out at Amicalola Springs, April 2009 and hiked as far as Damascus, VA. My first day on the trail I met a few people near my age (25 at the time), also shared some wine with a couple probably in their 40's. Never saw any of them again, but we all shared a fun first night on the trail nonetheless. After that, I definitely met quite a few people in my age group and we developed a good group of friends. As fate would have it, I also met a girl out there who was the same age, had tons in common with, and she is now my wife and mother of our child (due in August)! So, just goes to show, there's people your age out there, even people you may have a lot in common with. I was also hiking alone a lot myself before I went on the AT.

double d
01-09-2011, 23:42
Sorry Cat, I'm over 40 now (42.5 years old, 43 in June), so we can't be friends, as I don't trust anyone under 30!!!!!!!!! (Haaaaaa just kidding).

TheYoungOne
01-10-2011, 12:04
Cut to the chase - you're just looking for chicks. Speaking of which, did that guy every find an "earthy" hiking partner?

Ohh if that is the case, then I'm looking for a female hiking partner, that is into tubby 40 year old married men :p

the judge
01-22-2011, 15:18
I'm 27, hike all the time. my hiking buddies are 22 years old. have plenty of people around here that are willing to go hiking at any time, just most of them are not in shape to keep up with my group. I do get a lot of "you're going hiking today? isn't it a little cold?".

SwingLow
02-17-2011, 19:39
I'm 23 and don't get to go hiking very often because no one wants to come with me :(. I am having a hard time finding a partner for my thru-hike, around April 1st, too.