PDA

View Full Version : Western Mountaineering Highlite

hontassquirt
12-17-2010, 01:17
Does anyone have any feedback they could offer me on this bag? I've gone through a few bags to keep going lighter, and now I'm looking at the WM Highlite as the keeper. I want a good bag that will last us for a while, and that we can take on our thru. Coming in at a pound for a 6' bag with 850 fill, I'm liking it a lot. We take good care of our gear, so I can deal with "gentle care". But from what I've read on the internet, it's extremely gentle. And we all know everything on the internet is true. My thru is with a 11 year old. And although she takes care of her stuff (probably, better than most adults), I don't want to get it for her if I'm going to be constantly gasping at "don't move left or you'll roll over on that shoe and rip the material!", and the like. I'd love to hear your opinions if you have, or have had, a Highlite. Thanks! :sun

WhoDey
12-17-2010, 01:48
I have a Highlite and although the material is a little more delicate, you do not really need to baby it. I have found it plenty durable as long as I am paying attention to what I am doing. It is easy to take care of the material when you are asleep, the hard part is when its in your bag. Just do not put it in your bag with crampons or a bunch of tent stakes. I have found the material to be more durable than any of the other ultralight materials that most jackets are made out of. As for rolling on a shoe, as long as it isn't a metal cleat you will be fine sleeping in it. I love mine by the way and I haven't even had one tear. Hope that helps

hontassquirt
12-17-2010, 02:42
Yes, it helps a lot...thank you! I'm sitting here wondering how long it'll take me to hit the "buy now" button, but I just couldn't do it until I heard someone's feedback who actually has one. In one respect, I can't understand how they'd make a bag so fragile that you can't move in it. But then, I'm thinking...with what some people will deal with to do UL, maybe so! I just didn't want to throw down that kind of money without asking ONE person who's got one. thank you - your response helped a lot. I finally hit the button :cool:

Dogwood
12-17-2010, 03:53
I have a WM Highlite I've been using steadily for 3 yrs in a row for more than 2000 trail miles per year.

Even though I understand and know how to care for UL gear, which this bag is, I would not say it is especially fragile. For most hikers this would be their summer bag. It has no draft tube. It is a rather minimal bag, although I often combine this bag with an UL bivy sack(6.7 oz) and wear some clothing to sleep to sleep comfortably down to 25*.

Do be aware of the hip and shoulder dimensions. They are rather tight for me which took me some getting used to. If you, or your daughter, are too wide in the shoulders and/or hips for this bag it might result in putting undue stress on the zipper and zipper flys. This snug mummy fit is part of the bags design of reducing wt to a minimum but still having enough down in the right places in the boxed stitched confugurations. IMO, WM, GENERALLY, gives their bags accurate or slightly conservative temp ratings. This bag follows suit.

Yes, mine is 17 oz in size long!

I think I have properly cared for this bag. I have washed it with Down Wash at least 10 times. The down still retains its loft as when new. I may renew the DWR soon though.

Ender
12-17-2010, 09:21
I have the Ultralite, which is the Highlite's big brother. Same fabric. It is not fragile. Just don't be dumb when using it and it'll last you for years. Mine has 1700+ miles on it already, and it's still as good as new.

My only thought for your choice of bag though is that it probably won't be warm enough if you start early in the season. It gets very cold in the mountains at night in the spring (or fall if your hike runs later into the year). You'll want a 20* bag for those months.

bulldog49
12-17-2010, 09:26
I've had mine for a few years and treat it no differently than I've treated other bags and had no problems. It is as light and warm as WM claims it to be, no marketing hype. You won't regret the purchase.

skinewmexico
12-17-2010, 11:31
Bent Gate puts those on sale every once in a while.

4eyedbuzzard
12-17-2010, 13:25
I have a Caribou which is a slightly larger girth bag. It's microfiber with quilt through construction like the Highlite, so I can't attest to the Pertex material durability, but WM makes good stuff. They aren't going to field a bag that will fail will normal use.

That said, IMO the biggest drawback to the Highlite is that it only has a half zipper. Saves a few ounces, but my experience with a similarly rated (for temp) half-zip bag is that as you use it predominantly in the summer the half zip detracts from the versatility of the bag - you cant zip it open over your lower legs / feet when it's warm.

To get the increased versatility of the full zip, I'd opt for the Megalite , Caribou, or Summerlite with their full zips even though they weigh a few ounces more. Just my opinion, others will differ.

WhoDey
12-17-2010, 14:46
You can't go wrong with any WM product. Most people do not like the half-zip but I have never had a problem with them. If it is warm I will just stick a leg or two in the bag and drape the rest over me. My legs never really overheat like my torso does so as long as I can vent my torso, I will be fine. You will be surprised when you first get it at just how light it actually is

hontassquirt
12-17-2010, 20:25
i'm righty - right handed everything...but have always had left zip bags (not by choice), and it aggravates me to no end. i was so excited to see that WM offers BOTH left and right zip! I'm in right zip heaven right now!!! and the half zip feature is actually ok with me. i'm such a cold sleeper that i always have to sleep with something wrapped around my shoulders/neck, and feet. so luckily, this isn't a negative for me. but can definitely see how it would be a problem for a warmer sleeper...

Funny story now that we're talking cold sleeping. My first real backpacking trip ever, i was in the snow with a thermarest...ONLY a thermarest, a 600 fill marmot bag (with less fill underneath your body than on top), -5 degrees after wind chill factor, and sleeping next to a windy river. needless to say, it was the most painful and uncomfortable experience i've ever endured. i've been hooked on backpacking since.

i currently have a 15 degree, 850 fill marmot helium that I'm contemplating trading for a 10 degree, 850 fill WM Versalite. I'll get 5 degrees more coverage, save 4 ounces of weight, and get a draft collar with the versalite. i don't NEED to change bags, but i can afford it this month if it's justifyable. like i said before, i have to sleep with something cuddled around my neck, so i've been looking at going to a bag with a draft collar anyway...just expected to find a cheaper one. but you can't beat 2.2lbs for a 10 degree down, 850 fill bag. i've never had a bag with a draft collar, so I always have to bring a mini fleece throw (extra weight that I'm trying to get rid of) or a scarf (fine during winter months, but not in warmer months, which causes extra weight again) when i ran across the versalite. opinions on bags with draft collars versus one's with none? opinions on if this is a sensible trade up or not?

perhaps i'm making excuses to do it, but if we have two 10 degree bags, and two 35 degree bags, we only need 2 bags each to get through any kind of weather (that we'd be sleeping in). i don't want to have a bag for every 15 degree weather variance like i've seen some people do. i'd rather put more money into one good bag than separate it into several, cheaper bags. Your take?

Dogwood
12-18-2010, 01:53
4eyedbuzzard, brings up the valid pt of the half zip on the WM Highlite, which I forgot to mention, and some hikers may have an issue with. Personally, I love all the bags I own with half zips: WM Highlite, Valandre Mirage 3/4, and the 2006 Marmot Helium. Some hikers may want the longer zip for additional venting. This certainly can be an isue for some hikers if they find themselves using a 35 * bag in much warmer temps than expected. I get around needing the extra venting of a long zip by micro managing my sleeping temp by wearing/removing asst clothing and accessories(gloves, hat, bacalava, thermals, down booties, etc) and fine tuning the temp rated bag I'm carrying for the conditions I'm most likely to encounter on a specific hike or for different times/sections of a hike. I RARELY/never feel overly hot, and therefore require the extra venting, because my bag is NEVER rated for TOO LOW(too warm) for the temps I think I will be experiencing.

Dogwood
12-18-2010, 02:05
When the day comes that my Marmot 2006 Helium(1/2 zip, 2 lbs 1 oz in long version, solid 15 * bag!) finally goes to gear heaven I have given serious consideration to replacing it with the WM Versalite as you also have noted Hontassquirt. I will be sad to see my Helium bag depart though! That's was a GREAT bag in 2006!

WM is a name I trust in sleeping bags to replace it! Would like that bag in a 1/2 zip too!

4eyedbuzzard
12-18-2010, 02:45
4eyedbuzzard, brings up the valid pt of the half zip on the WM Highlite, which I forgot to mention, and some hikers may have an issue with. Personally, I love all the bags I own with half zips: WM Highlite, Valandre Mirage 3/4, and the 2006 Marmot Helium. Some hikers may want the longer zip for additional venting. This certainly can be an isue for some hikers if they find themselves using a 35 * bag in much warmer temps than expected. I get around needing the extra venting of a long zip by micro managing my sleeping temp by wearing/removing asst clothing and accessories(gloves, hat, bacalava, thermals, down booties, etc) and fine tuning the temp rated bag I'm carrying for the conditions I'm most likely to encounter on a specific hike or for different times/sections of a hike. I RARELY/never feel overly hot, and therefore require the extra venting, because my bag is NEVER rated for TOO LOW(too warm) for the temps I think I will be experiencing.
I also just like being able to move around a bit more. The half zips don't allow me to move my knees around to a comforable position sometimes - I'm a side sleeper and change positions a lot. Some (many) don't have these issues so a half zip isn't as much an issue. I tried on (out) a Highlite and just felt too confined in it - it is fairly snug for a 6'0" 200lb person.

Kerosene
12-18-2010, 08:46
One other point to note on the HighLite that hasn't been mentioned yet: This type of lightweight design gets a lot of its warmth from its tight-fitting design. Basically, if you want to come anywhere near its 35-degree temperature rating, you're going to want to have it cinched tight around your head to avoid venting the warmed-up air as you shift your sleeping position.

Of course, other mummy bags use this same approach, but I've found that the HighLite's low loft and minimal down fill makes it more apparent. Whereas with my 20-degree UltraLite I don't typically tighten the hood and collar around me until it gets below freezing, with the HighLite I've got to cinch everything up below 50.

Great bags at incredible weights (35F HighLite weighs 16 oz; 20F UltraLite weights 26!). They've held up very well for me, without a whole lot of special care, although I tend to be easy on my gear.

just dad
12-18-2010, 21:57
My son (age 10) and I have been using the WM Highlight for the past three years. My daugher (age 12) has been using the WM Summerlight. She preferres the full length zipper. These bags are well made and have held up to my kids' use.

hontassquirt
12-19-2010, 02:22
When the day comes that my Marmot 2006 Helium(1/2 zip, 2 lbs 1 oz in long version, solid 15 * bag!) finally goes to gear heaven I have given serious consideration to replacing it with the WM Versalite as you also have noted Hontassquirt. I will be sad to see my Helium bag depart though! That's was a GREAT bag in 2006!

WM is a name I trust in sleeping bags to replace it! Would like that bag in a 1/2 zip too!

Yes, I feel your pain. Totally love the Helium myself, but I'm afraid it's time for me to say farewell to my faithful companion. Sadly, I have NO experience with WM to date. I hate to let go of Marmot, but I'm afraid it's time........

hontassquirt
12-19-2010, 02:24
They've held up very well for me, without a whole lot of special care, although I tend to be easy on my gear.

I haven't washed a bag yet! I'm so scared to damage it that I just treat it like a newborn baby...hoping and praying I don't get it dirty. So pitiful, I know...

hontassquirt
12-19-2010, 02:26
My son (age 10) and I have been using the WM Highlight for the past three years. My daugher (age 12) has been using the WM Summerlight. She preferres the full length zipper. These bags are well made and have held up to my kids' use.

that's great news. sounds like you and your kids are experienced, yet gentle on your gear. myself and my daughter are the same, so it puts my mind at ease knowing that it's not going to tear to pieces if you look at it wrong. :D