PDA

View Full Version : Too cold

SalParadise
12-19-2004, 21:45
holy crap, it's 7 degrees and not even late into the night. People actually winter hike? I can't see why.

ed bell
12-19-2004, 22:00
Crowds have become a problem in some of my favorite backpacking areas. There are still ways around this in better weather, but nothing beats the COLD for crowd control. Our winters down here in the SC/NC mountains aren't as harsh as other places, but they still pack a punch. Once I discovered what quality down could do for my comfort, I haven't looked back.

Kerosene
12-19-2004, 22:13
Down to 3 degrees at 9 PM in Ann Arbor, Michigan tonight. That's still 30 degrees warmer than my coldest campout!

Tabasco
12-19-2004, 22:19
I did a quick 4 miles today at the Red River Gorge inside the Daniel Boone National Forest in Kentucky. It was 20 degrees and snowing. Just sad I have to go to work tomorrow or I would still be out there tonight.

Footslogger
12-19-2004, 22:32
holy crap, it's 7 degrees and not even late into the night. People actually winter hike? I can't see why.==================

We might have you beat out here in Wyoming. But like you ...I ain't headed out to hike.

'Slogger
AT 2003

steve hiker
12-19-2004, 22:50
People actually winter hike? I can't see why.
Try living down here near the tropics, where we didn't get our first night below 70 degrees until early November this year. Where we suffocate in muggy heat and humidity 10 months out of the year. Where you have to drive at least 600 miles north or northeast if you ever want to see snow.

l live for winter hiking. Fall hiking too, but winter is my favorite. There's no place better than in the southern Appalachians in the snow. Well, Montana in the snow is nice too, or Colorado. If Christmas committments weren't in the way I'd be somewhere on the AT between Davenport Gap and Damascus right now, where it's snowing :jump and everything is white and stunningly beautiful. Oh yeah, no crowds are a plus too.

In the north you may hate winter like we hate summer (all 10 months of it) down here. All a matter of perspective.

rainmaker
12-19-2004, 23:27
I agree with several of the posters. I just got back from a short circle tour of
the AT via Standing Indian Campground. No bugs, no crowds, great views and just enough snow and ice to make it interesting. And yes, down makes all this not just bearable, but downright comfortable. Can't wait to go again.

ed bell
12-20-2004, 00:21
I've seen it said here before, down booties. I have an ankle high pair that I wish were boot high, but they are still 100x better than frozen boots. If it's cold enough you can't overcome frozen hiking boots unless you are using high end winter boots. Being able to get total feeling back in your feet within MINUTES is a great moral booster.

rmtjr
12-20-2004, 00:36
Raked leaves in shorts and T-shirt yesterday. Swatted mosquitoes on Friday's day hike. I'm hopinhg for a long winter this season, say two days, Feb 10-11.

Newb
12-20-2004, 01:11
I'ts 17 degrees here in Alexandria tonight and it just gave us a dusting of ice. I'd hate to be in a shelter with naught but a sleeping bag tonight. You guys that do it are both insane and stalwart.

Newb
12-20-2004, 01:57
oh, also, the best "high end" winter boots I've ever had are my government issued Matterhorns. Thick soled, lined, and high on the calf. I stood in a foxhole in 20 degree weather at Fort Dix, New Jersey for 5 hours and my feet stayed warm. My gonads froze, but my feet laughed. For you gear heads I was wearing cotton boxers and cotton t-shirt, gov't issued Poly pro long underwear (top and bottom), winter weight BDU's, Gortex tops and bottoms, helmet liner, Korean war era Helmet thermal flaps/balaclava, kevlar helmet, wool glove liners, Korean war era leather (real leather) glove shells and a gov't issue poly/wool scarf. web gear, web belt, miles gear, m-16, 2 ammo pouches, 40 pound rucksack with chem-gear and 3 days food/water/tarp and Chapstick on my lips, too. My feet, once again were fine.

Nads froze.

zenribbits
12-20-2004, 04:00
It's about fifty degree's here, but we still have snow on the peak. Nothing like a warm day with views of winter.:sun

minnesotasmith
12-20-2004, 04:27
Who sells those down booties I keep hearing about?

The Solemates
12-20-2004, 10:58
Just got back from Utah. It was around 0 one night. It was a warmer week.

art to linda
12-20-2004, 11:20
2* with wind ( that puts it in the below zero ball park by more then a few degrees) and it's only 3 o'clock. Made being outside yesterday interesting if rather short termed ;) I enjoy being outside all year round but I'm a sun baby from way back...if the sun is out so am I, if at all possible, no matter what the temp. just have to watch that wind when it's cold.

tlbj6142
12-20-2004, 11:26
I don't mind the cold (couple more pounds of gear). I just hate dealing with fozen water and the short days.

How do folks deal with water issues in the winter. Espeically when high is 15F?

Glee
12-20-2004, 12:35
oh, also, the best "high end" winter boots I've ever had are my government issued Matterhorns. Thick soled, lined, and high on the calf. I stood in a foxhole in 20 degree weather at Fort Dix, New Jersey for 5 hours and my feet stayed warm. My gonads froze, but my feet laughed. For you gear heads I was wearing cotton boxers and cotton t-shirt, gov't issued Poly pro long underwear (top and bottom), winter weight BDU's, Gortex tops and bottoms, helmet liner, Korean war era Helmet thermal flaps/balaclava, kevlar helmet, wool glove liners, Korean war era leather (real leather) glove shells and a gov't issue poly/wool scarf. web gear, web belt, miles gear, m-16, 2 ammo pouches, 40 pound rucksack with chem-gear and 3 days food/water/tarp and Chapstick on my lips, too. My feet, once again were fine.

Nads froze.
So are you saying that the only thing warm was your feet? Every other part of your body was freezing? I guess what I'm asking is how was your body core temp?

mdjeeper
12-20-2004, 13:18
19 here in boston at 11am today with nice swirly snow and heavy duty winds.. will make the evening drive home interesting, but wont get the chance to get out and play in the white stuff since they are calling for rain in two days <sigh>

Noggin
12-20-2004, 13:59
Got down to -14 last night on Mt. Mitchell, -11 at Mt. Leconte and -5 at Newfound Gap.

ed bell
12-20-2004, 17:51
Minn.smith- My pair were bought at Sunrift Adventures in Greenville/ Travellers Rest SC They are made by Sierra Designs. I think there may be another company who makes them. I'll never go out in sub- freezing conditions without them. They have almost no downside as long as the ground is frozen. (Except you can't hike in em)

ed bell
12-20-2004, 18:02
Mt LeConte reported a high temp of 15deg on Sunday and a low of -11deg F. The snow total was reported at 25 inches. WHOO HOO! I better call and see about some reservations for the old Icewater Springs/ Mt. LeConte Shelter loop.

C-Stepper
12-20-2004, 18:34
Bought a pair of Sierra Designs down booties at REI a few weeks back. They were near the socks,and I think the tag called the "down socks".

grizzlyadam
12-20-2004, 19:20
mr smith-

sierra designs makes a great down bootie. you can buy them online at quite a few places.

here (http://www.altrec.com/shop/detail/18080/) or here (http://www.shopslms.com/sidemedobo.html) or there (http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=47584242&parent_category_rn=4501306)

all three sites have them priced at roughly $32. they're definitely worth the price and sure to keep your feet toasty. :sun

Peaks
12-20-2004, 22:31
From the Adirondack 46ers:

When the weather is:

60 above zero: Floridians turn on the heat; Adirondackers plant gardens

50 above zero: Californians shiver uncontrollably; Adirondackers sunbathe

40 above zero: Italian & English cars won't start; Adirondackers drive with the windows down

32 above zero: Distilled water freezes; Adironcackers end swimming season

20 above zero: Floridians put on coats, thermal underwear, gloves, wool hats. Adirondackers throw on a flannel shirt.

15 above zero: North Carolina landlords turn up the heat to the highest level; Adirondackers have the last cookout before it gets cold.

Zero: People in Miami all die; Adirondackers close the windows.
10 below zero: Californians fly away to Mexico; Adironcackers got out their winter coats.

25 below zero: Hollywood disintegrates; Adirondack Girl Scouts start selling cookies door to door.

40 below zero: Washington DC runs out of hot air; Adirondackers let the dogs sleep indoors.

60 below zero: Icicles form on home in Mexico and Brazil; Adirondack Boy Scouts start planning a Klondike Derby.

100 below zero: Santa Calus abandons the North Pole. Adirondackers get frustrated because they can't strat the mini-van.

460 below zero: All atomic motion stops (absolute zero on the Kelvin scale); Adirondack public schools may close.

500 below zero: Hell freezes over; Winter 46ers say "Want to climb the Sewards tomorrow?"

Peter Mossberg
12-20-2004, 23:13
Minus -18 in northern NH right now.

http://weather.noaa.gov/weather/current/KHIE.html