PDA

View Full Version : POLL: Ultralight Gear, and Body Weight

waywardfool
12-17-2010, 11:41
Yesterday, I spoke with someone about backpacking, and he was extolling the virtues of going ultralight. But he was um, heavy. (And probably reading this for all I know.)

So...the question for the UL guys...how's your body weight? This guy was counting ounces, when he is probably toting an extra 50-75 pounds.

Just curious...poll is anonymous

Tom Murphy
12-17-2010, 11:46
Hahaha, this is a great question.

One thing to understand is that active overweight people have very strong leg and stomache muscles.

Still no how good or bad your phyiscal condtioning, a lighter pack makes it easier to enjoy your hike.

I am not a big miles guy so the "further, longer" theme never swayed me.

I lighten my load because I want a simplier wilderness experience and want to be more self-reliant.

Raul Perez
12-17-2010, 12:02
I'm muscular run 2-3 miles a day, lift weights, etc.

However, I'm 5'4" and weigh 158lbs so carrying a 40lbs pack didnt make much sense to me and was very overbearing over steep terrain. So I did my research and got my total pack weight for 5 days in the summer below 25lbs. Makes for longer miles and more enjoyable experience.

Slo-go'en
12-17-2010, 12:03
It doesn't matter how heavy you are to desire a lighter pack. Of course, big people need a bigger sleeping bag, a bigger tent, bigger clothes and a bigger pack to put it all in, so thier pack will never be as light as the bean pole hikers.

10-K
12-17-2010, 12:19
Every little bit helps but I too have often wondered why someone would spend $100 more to buy something that weighed a pound less when they could have saved money (buying less food) to lose a much larger amount of weight.

To each his own...

Kerosene
12-17-2010, 12:23
Carrying a lighter pack becomes more important with age also. I could probably still lug a 50-pounder for 15 miles, but my feet and back would feel like crap at the end of the day and my knees would probably declare a mutiny after 50 miles.

Also, I remember a slightly overweight guy telling me that his spare tire helps to counterbalance the weight on his back. ;)

TheChop
12-17-2010, 12:32
I didn't vote because I don't consider myself and Ultralighter by any means. I've got a huge frame and a 40+ pound pack doesn't bother me.

I could also stand to lose 50 pounds and I've redone my gear to get a 4-5 pound reduction in pack weight. But I'm well aware that losing 20 pounds would help far more than losing 7 ounces off my pack. I also know that thru-hiking is going to shred those 50 lbs.

couscous
12-17-2010, 12:51
The answer to the poll would vary whether it was answered by myself, my doctor or my wife. I figure as long as I'm under 1 kilonewton, I'm just a little more than I should be. My pack is usually 5%-8% of my body weight for 4-day stretches.

swjohnsey
12-17-2010, 13:31
At 169 I am BMI < 25. I plan to lose down to around 160 before I leave. A little extra weight makes a big difference running and probably hiking.

sbhikes
12-17-2010, 14:31
If anything it makes more sense to have a light pack if you are overweight because you already have all that weight pressing on your feet and spine.

I'm overweight but after a few weeks of thru-hiking I'm normal weight. Would I then trade out my light gear for heavier stuff? No way!!!

tuswm
12-17-2010, 23:10
I have all ways been real heavy for my size. I am thick. 5'8" 185+ but only 9% body fat. I have returned from hiking season under 150. 35 pounds on my body does make a big difference even when its the right type of weight. But its still nothing like 35 extra pounds in my pack.

Does anyone pay attention to cycling or car racing? There is a term unsprund weight. This refers to weight in the wheels and suspension of the car. If you can save one pound off the wheels of a bike or car its like saving 30 pounds on the body or frame. Its not just the weight but it is where the weight is.

Also I think a lot of in shape people consider them self a little over weight of 3 - 5 lbs over perfect.

leaftye
12-18-2010, 00:03
Right now losing body weight would make a FAR bigger difference than losing a couple ounces or even pounds out of my pack.

I will never be able to hike 25 mile days at 3+ mph overall average at my current body weight even if my backpack weighed exactly 0.0 ounces. If I lost 70 pounds of excess body fat I bet I'd be able to do it with ease.

Does anyone pay attention to cycling or car racing? There is a term unsprund weight. This refers to weight in the wheels and suspension of the car. If you can save one pound off the wheels of a bike or car its like saving 30 pounds on the body or frame. Its not just the weight but it is where the weight is.

It's a good thing we don't carry our packs on our ankles--a backpack is sprung weight.

Flippy
12-19-2010, 01:18
Going light is not a new concept, and Ed Garvey's real pack weight (not dry) was around 30 - 35 lbs on the AT. He supported the movement away from heavy packs and boots. It's been a while since I read his books like, "The New Applachian Trail", but he was an advocate of lighter weight backpacking for around 40 years ago now.

If you are a heavy person you probably need the support of a midweight shoe, otherwise with your combined pack weight you'll probably have feet problems at the very least.

I'm 5'9' and around 165 llbs and I've been able to get away with hiking in water shoes (25 ozs) when I'm keep my pack around 30 lbs or less and my body weight around 160 - 165 lbs. On the PCT and CDT you have to carry more food and water, as resupplies tend to be further apart.

In 2004 I lost 27 lbs from Springer to Hot Springs. I was really concerned about losing too much weight and being able to finish my hike at this rate. Most heavy hikers will loose a considerable amount of weight, and should be able to lighten up around Pearisburg. It still gets cold in the Mount Rogers area - Grayson Highlands above 5,000 feet, so keep the cool weather gear. My base weight after Pearisburg went down to 14 lbs and my pack weight stayed around 20 -25 lbs until I reached Katahdin on the AT.

Point is, after it warms up you will need to make some significant gear adjustments and by that time you will have lost quite a bit of weight. Also a new pair of shoes should be in order too. If I recall correctly from an old Army study - every pound you take off your feet is equivlant to 5-6 lbs off your back. So in my opinion, as much body and pack weight that your time and wallet can manage will make your hike much more enjoyable.

maybe clem
12-19-2010, 02:03
Being large makes it harder to be ultralight because you have larger (heavier) clothing, shoes, sleeping bag, pad, etc. Like sbhikes said, it would seem to make more sense to shave off as many ounces as possible from your gear if you're overweight because your body is already carrying extra weight.

Firefighter503
12-19-2010, 08:25
I am 6'0" and weigh in right at about 265. You would never guess it though. I am pretty active (hiking, sports, running (not as much as I should), work for the fire department). I wear XL everything, and my pack is about 18 lbs give or take before food/water. If I didn't have shorter legs than them, I believe I would keep up with my 6'3" 180 lb brothers with ease.

Miner
12-19-2010, 15:43
I originally got into UL because I was... well heavy with a heavy pack already around my waist. The heavier the body is, the lighter the pack has to be to be able to still backpack. And my experience with weight says that I'd rather carry an extra 40lbs in my pack then on my body. Your body has to work to keep alive and cool all that extra flesh.

I've since lost most of the extra body weight and life was even better on the trail with even higher daily mileage possible. No way I would add weight back in my pack now.

Mags
12-19-2010, 19:31
So...the question for the UL guys...how's your body weight? This guy was counting ounces, when he is probably toting an extra 50-75 pounds.

There are many gear hobbyists out there.. Spending time outdoors is secondary to collecting gear...and sometimes the physique shows that.

Easier to talk about, buy and collect gear than to actually use it.

Yeah..cynical view perhaps. But one, I think, has some validity.

leaftye
12-19-2010, 19:33
There are many gear hobbyists out there.. Spending time outdoors is secondary to collecting gear...and sometimes the physique shows that.

Easier to talk about, buy and collect gear than to actually use it.

Unfortunately in these times, the inverse may be true, even for those gear whores.

waywardfool
12-19-2010, 19:35
In all fairness I will add this, since I started the poll...I got married a few years back, got some hired help and grew my company and got busier and busier....and hiked less. I got up to about 240, am 209 now, heading back down to what is "right" for me (6'3, big framed) at 190-195. Pack weight has remained pretty much the same from what it was 15 years ago when I was going often, about 35# fully loaded, water, food, etc, for 4-5 days. When I drop that last 15 or so pounds....I really don't care much (yet) about another 3 or so I could easily squeeze out of my pack.

Mags
12-19-2010, 19:44
Unfortunately in these times, the inverse may be true, even for those gear whores.

When I was unemployed last year, I did more outdoor stuff than any other time (multi-month thru-hikes excluded) and, with the exception of trail shoes, did not buy any new gear.

I made do or did without.

I am in very good shape now (slightly above my PCT thru-hike weight, but with more muscle mass on the upper body)...I was in AWESOME shape (all that backcoutry skiing..I did not have a 'six pack' but I was pretty darn close. Backcountry skiing is the best outdoor exercise. Period.) when I was out of work.

:)

Phreak
12-19-2010, 19:56
5'10", 162 pounds, <8% body fat.

Luddite
12-19-2010, 20:39
6' 10", 215, 1% body fat.

j/k

10-K
12-19-2010, 22:05
6'2" ... whats fat?

ClassY
12-20-2010, 12:57
6' flat and 167lbs.
Im trying to save gear weight but will also be conscious about the food and water that I carry as well.
5 liters max capacity. But will proly only hike w 3 or 4. Food weight is also big for me as I know some people dont put that into account.

In the mean time, I am training with a 50lb pack.

~ClassY

Flippy
12-20-2010, 15:19
6' flat and 167lbs.
Im trying to save gear weight but will also be conscious about the food and water that I carry as well.
5 liters max capacity. But will proly only hike w 3 or 4. Food weight is also big for me as I know some people dont put that into account.

In the mean time, I am training with a 50lb pack.

~ClassY

It's nice to have a large water carrying capacity, so when you are in camp you only have to make one trip for dinner and breakfast plus what you need to start the next morning with. While hiking on the AT, usually 2 liters is about all you need - assuming you start the day out hydrated. There are some dry and hot sections, where you may have to carry more. Cutting back to 2 liters will save you 2-4 lbs. On my first AT hike I always carried too much water.

Food is another good place to cut weight. I can't tell you how many times I walked into town with 1-2 days of food leftover (again 2-4 pounds) I always try to carry one emergency meal, just in case. But like most hikers I arrive at my next resupply with more food than I should.

Also when leaving town your pack will be at it's heaviest, and you will be hiking uphill to/on the trail with all that extra weight. Learning how to plan for food and water can significantly cut your pack weight down. 4-8 lbs maybe. Have fun on you hike!

Dogwood
12-21-2010, 00:10
But I'm well aware that losing 20 pounds would help far more than losing 7 ounces off my pack. - TheChop

Right now losing body weight would make a FAR bigger difference than losing a couple ounces or even pounds out of my pack. - Leaftye

I think this is the direction the OP was wanting to head. Makes sense to me!

I find it ironic that I notice UL'ers, of which I am one, time and time again, heading into their next resupply, hauling up to an extra 1/1/2 lbs of trail food each time. These same UL'ers will trim down their toothbrushes, brag about their UL Cuben fiber minimalist tarps, never carry more than one pr of the lightest wt socks, wear the flimsiest shoes that resemble ballerina slip-ons, and demonstrate to me all the straps they have trimmed on their packs. Humm?

I'm 6'4" 205-210 lbs with a med muscular build, mostly an ectomorph with some endomorph traits. Can't give an accurate % of body fat. When thru-hiking I prefer to lose 10- 15 lbs during my hike.

Dogwood
12-21-2010, 00:13
Um! Luddite is a ectomorph from Skinnyville!