PDA

View Full Version : Work/TV Treadmill

sbhikes
12-17-2010, 15:38
I'm on the work/TV treadmill and I want to get off but I don't know how.

Deadeye
12-17-2010, 17:45
Can't do much about work, but just unplug the @#$ TV.

Cookerhiker
12-17-2010, 17:58
I've been off TV for 4 years now and don't miss it. It was easy! Just today, my internet company called me to offer their super special for a new package including TV with 300+ channels yada yada. They don't know how to respond when I tell them I don't watch TV.

The only time I missed it was when I really wanted to watch the World Series (lifelong Giants fan) and managed to find a bar with the games broadcast.

neighbor dave
12-17-2010, 18:23
:-?:-?
with all due respect, good grief, it seems you're complaining about having a job, a tv, and access to a treadmill.
a suggestion, "volunteer" the rest of your life to helping others,(for a bed and meals) in a country where that's the least of their worries.:sun

Skidsteer
12-17-2010, 18:45
Kill your TV or quit your job.

I killed my TV(meaning I have no cable or antenna). I haven't even watched the Super Bowl in the last three or four years. I go on Youtube to see the funny commercials my friends talk about occasionally.

Haven't gotten bored yet.

Carbo
12-17-2010, 18:56
I'm on the work/TV treadmill and I want to get off but I don't know how.

This is drastic but it worked for me. Get up around 4 AM for several mornings. In a few days you'll be sleepy enough to go to sleep by 9-10 PM. In the morning you'll have a leisurly 3+ hours to have coffee, breakfast, read, whatever, and get ready for work. The change in schedule seems to add a bit of a spark to the daily grind. Whether this is for you depends on your particular circumstance, spouse, kids, etc. A side benefit of this is, if you continue on the weekend, you get one heck of a long day Saturday and Sunday to do stuff.

sbhikes
12-17-2010, 19:02
Hey Carbo, that's a truly unique idea. I already go to bed at 9 so I guess I'd be going to bed at 7? I suppose that's okay.

Iceaxe
12-17-2010, 19:08
I agree with Carbo. My late Grandmother used to say: "It's the sleep you get before midnight that counts."
Anyhow I have been TV less for 3 years now.. Then the computer became my time waster!
Anyhow hang in there Piper! It sounds like you have the off-season blues. Start planning your next adventure. It's the best cure I know.
:sun

10-K
12-17-2010, 19:15
Start planning your next adventure. It's the best cure I know.
:sun

+1 I've always got something planned, whether it is a race or hike or something else that requires me to be active in order to perform when the time comes.

Sierra Echo
12-17-2010, 19:29
Take up spelunking!

Wise Old Owl
12-17-2010, 20:42
What? where was the room for the treadmill? Back to nature for you!

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_-VPQcDFmaYc/SprGO1W_70I/AAAAAAAABhI/_LnMFgEfmm0/Outhouse+with+satellite+dish+%282%29.JPG

Cookerhiker
12-17-2010, 21:09
....Anyhow I have been TV less for 3 years now.. Then the computer became my time waster!...

Ain't that the truth!:rolleyes:;)

sbhikes
12-17-2010, 21:16
Let me expand on my complaint/question. I'm in a relationship with someone on the work/TV treadmill. How do I get off the treadmill and leave him to die in front of the TV without making him feel like I'm leaving him?

Luddite
12-17-2010, 21:24
Hold the rails and put your feet on the side so they aren't on the belt. If you have a remote, now is the time to use it. If not, slowly step back and off the machine and walk to the TV to turn it off manually. Unplug the treadmill and call the manufacturer.

Kerosene
12-17-2010, 21:26
Go for long, extended walks each morning and evening, and take the dog while you're at it. If he doesn't miss seeing you after awhile, then you shouldn't feel guilty about leaving.

If you want to be a bit more proactive, think about a goal you might enjoy accomplishing together that can be measured in increments. Weight lost, pounds lifted, miles run, hours of volunteer work, houses built, stairs walked, languages learned, songs memorized, whatever.

weary
12-17-2010, 21:59
Work is a given for most of us who failed to inherit fortunes. Having done both, I prefer work that pays more than minimum wages. Of course the best work is work one enjoys doing. I've found there was nothing better than being paid for doing things I thought useful and fun to do. Looking back, I can think of a variety of jobs I could have enjoyed doing. But I lucked on one of them and rode it for 30 years. I sometimes think I might have enjoyed a more lucrative profession just as well. But the role I chose gave me such a sense of satisfaction, I kept right on doing much the same after I retired, even though no one was paying me.

As for television, I disagree with those that claim living without television is a good thing. Mine stays in my house and gets turned on for a bit most days. I find the news hour, some of Frontline and some other bits of public television educational, useful and often enjoyable. I even watch an occasional network news show to see what the rest of the world finds important.

Getting addicted was never a problem. I tended to work odd hours as issues that needed investigating arose, so I rarely managed to see two episodes of anything in a row. You'll find the same is true even in retirement if you remain, or get involved in community, conservation, or trail matters.

Don H
12-17-2010, 22:35
I watch the TV while I'm on the treadmill;)

Carbo
12-17-2010, 22:42
Let me expand on my complaint/question. I'm in a relationship with someone on the work/TV treadmill. How do I get off the treadmill and leave him to die in front of the TV without making him feel like I'm leaving him?

I still don't get it. You want to leave him to die in front of the TV, but you are concerned about his feelings?

I guess the best thing to do is go ahead and leave him, when he's dead he won't have any feelings to worry about [shrug]. I know I'm missing something.

Tinker
12-17-2010, 22:55

I'm reading that the "Treadmill" is a figure of speech. Some others read that you use a physical treadmill.

I would invite my mate to get up early with me and take a quick walk if the weather isn't too bad before coffee or breakfast. As long as you inform him of your intentions I doubt he'll hold it against you.

kayak karl
12-17-2010, 22:58
and when you hike?????????

Iceaxe
12-17-2010, 23:01
It sounds like you may have already "left him" emotionally.
Ya know.. I had a grilfriend dump me suddenly. It totally came out of left field. I was pissed for a long time about it. But looking back now I am glad she was honest and didn't pretend to want to be with me just to save my feelings.
How ironic that i was just thinking back to all the cool trail couples I have met over the past two years. I thought how great it would be to be like them and have someone to share trail life with. I suppose there is also a compromise in any relationship.
The question is whether the compromise is mutually beneficial.
I know that once on the PCT I felt like I was compromising by hiking slower for a friend. I ended up leaving her behind. I felt like an ass but it was the right thing to do. I did not want to harbor resentment over something as simple as a different hiking pace.
I suppose people can have a differing "pace" through life as well.
Maybe I should shut up now... I am definitley not the one to give advice on this subject!
I hope you make the decision that brings you the most happiness.

DapperD
12-17-2010, 23:23
Let me expand on my complaint/question. I'm in a relationship with someone on the work/TV treadmill. How do I get off the treadmill and leave him to die in front of the TV without making him feel like I'm leaving him?The simple answer to this is, you can't:-?. I know not too long ago you posted a thread about your 60 year old boyfriend having a "cardiac event" while you were out hiking together:http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=66763 I don't know if this is the person who you are now saying is currently "chained" to the sofa in front of the television (possibly because he was/is recovering from his health/medical scare?) I think that no matter what you do, if someone is unwilling to accompany another on physical outings/recreations, etc...it is not going to change or get any better(unless of course he is recovering from his health setback and truly wants to get back out with you to do physical recreations like hiking, etc...) In my opinion, and from your threads, it appears you are not interested in the current type of job you perform. You have stated over and over that after your PCT hike you do not find your current office type job at all rewarding, and you appear to daydream more and more of being back in the outdoors, hiking again, enjoying outdoor life, etc...What is the answer? Maybe for yourself the answer is finding a physically demanding job, working in the great outdoors. Enjoying the outdoor life and being paid for it at the same time. Is it possible to relocate? Maybe it might be worth it to you to do just that. If you really want adventure, consider a move to Alaska! Seriously, outdoor type women are in great demand there:D:sun!

DapperD
12-17-2010, 23:44
It sounds like you may have already "left him" emotionally.
Ya know.. I had a grilfriend dump me suddenly. It totally came out of left field. I was pissed for a long time about it.That's one thing most guys continuousley fail to understand. Women don't give any warning. When they make up their minds to leave us, it's sudden and sure and we're dumped and left scratching our heads:eek::D.:welcome

Wise Old Owl
12-18-2010, 09:44
Wow what a thread swerve and crash. Dapper D {you da man}

Diane I cannot begin to tell you how many times my wife and I have had stuff happen, you need to talk this one out with the TV off, Parts about the relationship is the support you give each other and working together. Get him off the couch get back outside if the weather's good. Above all don't dump about everything that is going wrong, pick one thing and work on solving it. Good Luck.

*I have been married 27 years.
*I am supporting her this week with her mothers passing.

Wise Old Owl
12-18-2010, 09:52
Why not help him get back on the trail even if its in a limited capacity?

chief
12-18-2010, 13:46
I suspect he's wondering why you're not gone yet. I mean, who wants to be around an unhappy person!

Rocket Jones
12-18-2010, 14:18
Diane, any kind of situation like this demands honest and open communicaton between you two. One or both of you might not like the outcome, but talking it out (and listening) will usually result in coming to the best decision for you both - as a couple. Then again, you might be surprised at an answer that you may never have come up with individually.

The fact that you're having these thoughts means it's time to talk.