PDA

View Full Version : Alcohol Re-Supply

No Cows
12-17-2010, 23:05
I would like to carry my alcohol stove NOBO on the AT and am curious how easy access is for re-supply in the towns along the trail? Or - does one need to mail drop their own supply? Thanks for the help......

BigHodag
12-17-2010, 23:17
No, you shouldn't need to mail drop alcohol fuel.

First a little alcohol goes a long way. Boiling water for 2 meals a day consumed only about 16oz over 2 weeks. 2 weeks is between 100 and 150 miles.

Within every 100-150 miles you should be able to refill your alcohol at hostels, outfitters, and hiker boxes. For example, at the end of my section hike, I left several ounces of alcohol at the Boiling Springs ATC office. There was other leftover fuel already by the door where I left mine. Alcohol retails for about 50 cents/oz.

An alcohol stove also burns HEET, methyl alcohol. You can find HEET at many gas stations and C-stores near road crossings.

That said, I'm sectioning north from DWG in 2011 and my main concern is aquiring alcohol fuel in DWG. I'm hoping the church hostel keeps some on hand and will telephone just before leaving. I'll also scout the two C-stores in town for HEET.

No Cows
12-18-2010, 00:31
Thank you for the info, very helpful.....

4eyedbuzzard
12-18-2010, 02:57
You can only mail methanol (flash point 12°C) via surface mail, and then only a quart at most if in a metal container - a pint if in non-metallic container in any single package.
http://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52apxc_011.htm

couscous
12-18-2010, 13:47
I get gallon cans of denatured alcohol for about $16.50/gallon or 13¢/oz. (Puts gasoline & diesel prices in perspective.) If places along the AT can sell it for 50¢/oz - that's a nice $47.50/gallon profit. Profit is always a good motivator for people to stock/sell items.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51wcGQRcbQL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

tiptoe
12-18-2010, 16:43
um, 50 cents an ounce seems high. I've paid 25 to 30 cents an ounce at outfitters, hostels, etc.

Monkeywrench
12-18-2010, 18:01
I never had any real problem getting alcohol along the trail. Most times I was able to buy however many ounces I needed to refill my bottle at hostels, outfitters, or the occasional motel. I can think of two times where I had to stop by a gas station or auto supply store and buy a bottle of yellow Heet.

BigHodag
12-18-2010, 21:56
While I'm sure various places vary in their retail per ounce prices, I was charged $.50/ounce by The Outfitter at Harpers Ferry. That's now my basis when planning a trail budget.

While we're on the subject, is alcohol available at the church hostel or HEET from the C-stores in Delaware Water Gap. I'm sectioning north from there next spring and will need to grab alcohol before I head into NJ. I can't bring it with me on Greyhound/Maritz.

Monkeywrench
12-18-2010, 22:06
While we're on the subject, is alcohol available at the church hostel or HEET from the C-stores in Delaware Water Gap. I'm sectioning north from there next spring and will need to grab alcohol before I head into NJ. I can't bring it with me on Greyhound/Maritz.

There is an outfitter in DWG. I don't know how much they charge for alcohol because I bought a few other things there and they gave me the alcohol gratis.

No Cows
12-19-2010, 00:01
Thanks for the input, helps with the planning and affirms my choice to carry my alcohol stove, I'm using a homemade stove and plan to carry some esbit tabs as back-up

Flippy
12-19-2010, 00:17
I quit using denatured alcohol in my alcohol stove many years ago. I buy the yellow HEET for less than $2.00/12 ozs at most places like hardware stores, grocery stores, and automotive parts shops. I've heard that it burns hotter, not sure about that. I can find in more readily in towns especially the further north you get. The Red HEET doesn't work well. Back in 2004 on the AT, I remember paying around 10-15 cents an oz for denatured alcohol.

Pony
12-19-2010, 13:29
um, 50 cents an ounce seems high. I've paid 25 to 30 cents an ounce at outfitters, hostels, etc.

Can't remember where, but I've paid 50 cents an ounce a few times. Usually it's around 30 cents. If possible I try to get Heet, for under $2 a bottle.

Hoop Time
12-19-2010, 17:51
I know it is against the rules, but if it came right down to it, if you stuck an unopened bottle of yellow HEET inside your pack, the bus driver is not going to be inspecting the pack.

Slo-go'en
12-19-2010, 18:20
I buy the yellow HEET for less than $2.00/12 ozs at most places like hardware stores, grocery stores, and automotive parts shops.

I have found that HEET is only available at auto parts stores like NAPPA down south. Something to do with it being used to cook meth. HEET is a little more common to find in non-auto parts stores here in New England, but is never a sure bet.

I wonder how brake fluid would work as a stove fuel? :-? That stuff seems to be available everywhere. I imagine it wouldn't work too well.

leaftye
12-19-2010, 18:55
I have found that HEET is only available at auto parts stores like NAPPA down south. Something to do with it being used to cook meth. HEET is a little more common to find in non-auto parts stores here in New England, but is never a sure bet.

That doesn't make sense. Maybe you're thinking of methanol, which is what's special about the red HEET. I believe it's actually a mix of methanol and ethanol. The yellow HEET is predominantly ethanol.

I wonder how brake fluid would work as a stove fuel? :-? That stuff seems to be available everywhere. I imagine it wouldn't work too well.

That's a terrible idea, although not quite as bad as using poison oak to scratch an itch.

Flippy
12-19-2010, 21:25
I know it is against the rules, but if it came right down to it, if you stuck an unopened bottle of yellow HEET inside your pack, the bus driver is not going to be inspecting the pack.

Depends. In 2004, I packed all my gear minus fuel & water, and rode the Greyhound to Atlanta. When I transfered in Atlanta, I picked up my pack and went through the terminal to transfer. The guy asked me if I was carrying a knife or fingernail clippers, and I said told him I was. It took alot of smooth talking to allow me to keep my knife in my backpack in the cargo area underneath the bus passenger area.

After the bus experience, I decided to fly home from Bangor, ME. I emptied my fuel bottle, and still had my knife in my backpack. The bus to the airport was running late, and when I arrived at the airport the told me I didn't have time to check my backpack, so I should just carry it on. It wasn't until after my last connection I realized that I had my pocket knife in my backpack.

Don't know how you plan on getting to the trail, but Josh and Leigh from the Hiker Hostel have a Thru-Hiker special that includes fuel at price that is hard to beat.

http://hikerhostel.com/prices.php

Doc Mike
12-19-2010, 21:26
leaftye you may want to check your facts. heet is methanol and iso-heet is isopropyl alcohol.

Cheapest way to by methanol is in 55 gal drum 180 dollars which is 2.6 cents per ounce. D&R distributers here will deliver to your house.

Doc Mike

4eyedbuzzard
12-19-2010, 22:26
leaftye you may want to check your facts. heet is methanol and iso-heet is isopropyl alcohol.

Cheapest way to by methanol is in 55 gal drum 180 dollars which is 2.6 cents per ounce. D&R distributers here will deliver to your house.

Doc Mike
Yep. Yellow HEET is methanol. Red HEET is isopropyl.

leaftye
12-19-2010, 22:54
Oops, you are correct. For some reason I was thinking there was a blend of methanol & ethanol and then totally mixed things up with the red bottle.

When I do use my alcohol stove, I mostly use 99% isopropyl alcohol. I figure if it's pure enough to put on my skin, it's good enough to burn. I've heard of people getting woozy with the fumes of other types of alcohol, especially with ethanol because of some of the impurities that also serve to denature it....I don't want to breathe that stuff if I don't have to. HEET claims the yellow stuff is 99.9% methanol and the rest of water...maybe so, but I'll stick with iso- unless I camp in an area too cold for iso- to light.