PDA

View Full Version : Tarptent Moment vs. Rainbow

thelightinside
12-18-2010, 14:04
I've been looking at the Henry Shires Tarptents and can't decide between the Moment and the Rainbow. The Rainbow weighs a bit more but has more floor area. I also like that it can be freestanding with trekking poles. The product sheet on the website mentions hybrid bathtub floors that clip up to the walls...can someone explain this to me? Is it bugproof when "unclipped"?

I'm 5'6"...is there enough room in the Moment to put my pack at my feet or would it need to be beside me at the widest part of the tent?

All info/suggestions are appreciated!

Rocket Jones
12-18-2010, 14:13
I have the double rainbow. Yes, it's bugproof when unclipped. What the clipping does is raise the perimeter of the floor to make it a "bathtub" - i.e. raised lip all the way around. When the floor is unclipped the ventilation is just a bit better.

Also, a consideration for some, I use Pacer Poles and had to add new sleeves to the tent to fit the unique handles to use my poles for freestanding mode. Having done that, I've never used the tent freestanding. :)

Franco
12-18-2010, 17:44
You will fit comfortably with your pack inside either tent.
All of the Tarptents are fully sealed (bugproof) once you zip the door/s shut.
They all also set up "dry inside". (the floor/inner is not exposed to the rain during assembly)
The Moment can also be freestanding if you get the extra cross pole.
Freestanding can be particularly useful on platforms or hard ground but you still need to stake them down somehow.
The Moment stands up with two pegs so very easy do tie to a platforms as it is. Also easy to move around assembled if you change your mind once you set it up.
Essentially if you do like a lot of space , get the Rainbow. (in emergencies it can take two regular size mats so accommodate two adults inside)
Otherwise the Moment is a bit faster to set up , a bit lighter and less volume when packed.
Franco
[email protected] ([email protected])
did I say fast set up ?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWZQKivY2SA (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWZQKivY2SA)

skinewmexico
12-18-2010, 18:29
Plenty of room, either beside you, or at your feet. Or both. And I'm 5'10".

FamilyGuy
12-18-2010, 21:15
Having used both, I would go for the Rainbow. It has substantially more headroom, width, and usable length. I also found it much better at managing condensation.

TheChop
12-18-2010, 21:50
I've been looking at tarptents and it seemed like the Rainbow was the way to go. The only worry I had is having fairly broad shoulders I was worried about brushing against the sides so I'm thinking of doubling it up on the rainbow as it's only a few ounces heavier.

g8trh8tr
12-18-2010, 22:58
My vote is for the moment but honestly I don't think you could go wrong with either choice.

FamilyGuy
12-19-2010, 00:33
I've been looking at tarptents and it seemed like the Rainbow was the way to go. The only worry I had is having fairly broad shoulders I was worried about brushing against the sides so I'm thinking of doubling it up on the rainbow as it's only a few ounces heavier.

The Rainbow is really wide. In fact, I can two pads in there. This is the single version. I too have wide shoulders - you will be fine!

TheChop
12-19-2010, 00:55
The Rainbow is really wide. In fact, I can two pads in there. This is the single version. I too have wide shoulders - you will be fine!

I know floor space is wide. I was more talking about when you sit up in it. How's it handle that?

Franco
12-19-2010, 02:29
To clarify..
I am 5'7" so my comment about size had to do with my and the OP size. At 6'2"/6'3" and up the Rainbow would work better.

The Chop
Sitting up/shoulder room depends on the individual because both torso size and shoulder width can be different with two individuals of the same height.
(and also keep in mind if you use a mat or not and what type of mat. This is why you will get conflicting comments from people of exactly the same height...)
So here are a couple of measurements for the Rainbow.
In the center (more or less...) at 33" from the floor you have 22" across . That is from fly on one side to mesh on the other.
You still have about 4" from the vertical mesh door to the fly .
(in the 2010 version the non door side pulls out a few inches more than the previous versions)

Franco
[email protected] ([email protected])

FamilyGuy
12-19-2010, 11:08
I know floor space is wide. I was more talking about when you sit up in it. How's it handle that?

Very well. I am between 6'1" and 6'2" and have no problem sitting on a 2.5" NeoAir. Still a few inches left of head room! The nice thing about the Rainbow is that the headroom is consistent through almost all of the length. With the Moment on a 2.5" pad I would have to slide forward on the pad to sit up without grazing my head (like the Hilleberg Akto, although that tent has more usable length and wider ends than the Moment). I almost always touched the walls in the Moment and with the inability to manage condensation as well, I had the dreaded wet sleeping bag a few times. No such issue with the Rainbow. I think Henry nailed this design and it is still unmatched by anything he has except for the Scarp.

thelightinside
12-19-2010, 18:58
Thanks for all the info! I think I'm going to go with the Moment since it's lighter.

skinewmexico
12-20-2010, 01:50

That's why I'll probably sell my Moment. I could always use the Rainbow with my son in a pinch, should a tent disaster occur on a Scout trip.

10-K
12-20-2010, 08:20
Does the Rainbow have a vestibule (looks like it doesn't....)?

Johnny Thunder
12-20-2010, 08:42
the rainbow has a good sized vestibule. big enough for a pack, food bag, and boots all under the canopy.

TheChop
12-20-2010, 08:59
Very well. I am between 6'1" and 6'2" and have no problem sitting on a 2.5" NeoAir. Still a few inches left of head room! The nice thing about the Rainbow is that the headroom is consistent through almost all of the length. With the Moment on a 2.5" pad I would have to slide forward on the pad to sit up without grazing my head (like the Hilleberg Akto, although that tent has more usable length and wider ends than the Moment). I almost always touched the walls in the Moment and with the inability to manage condensation as well, I had the dreaded wet sleeping bag a few times. No such issue with the Rainbow. I think Henry nailed this design and it is still unmatched by anything he has except for the Scarp.

Ordered the Rainbow last night. I was originally going Double Rainbow but you guys have convinced me. I have been using a Hubba Hubba and the layouts seem pretty similar. I'm excited about cutting off 2 plus pounds!

HeartFire
12-20-2010, 10:21
Have you looked at the new LightHeart Awning tent? http://www.lightheartgear.com (http://www.lightheartgear.com/)

10-K
12-20-2010, 17:29
I broke down and bought a Rainbow today.

I'm glad this thread came about because I was tempted by the Moment but because of my height and torso length the Rainbow sounds like a better bet.

Heartfire - your tents look nice and I've heard nothing but good about them but I was looking for a tent that could be pitched stakeless....

FamilyGuy
12-20-2010, 19:41
Nice choice. I think being a taller, larger fellow, you will be most pleased with the Rainbow. Classic design.

Report back once you get it.

Big Dawg
12-20-2010, 20:29
I broke down and bought a Rainbow today.

I'm glad this thread came about because I was tempted by the Moment but because of my height and torso length the Rainbow sounds like a better bet.

I'm 6'5". I own a Double Rainbow & a Moment,, and the Moment is longer,, and the one I prefer by far. Even though the floor length of the Moment is 4" shorter than the DR/R (Double Rainbow/Rainbow), the overall length of the Moment is 110".

The canopy of the DR/R extends just an inch or so beyond the floor on each end, whereas the canopy of the Moment extends 13" on each end. NO CHANCE of my sleeping bag touching each end of the Moment, but it would touch the ends on my DR, causing me to sleep diagonal to avoid this issue. And even diagonal, I occasionally touch the ends which is no big deal unless there's condensation which wets my bag.

Also, I love the small overall footprint of the Moment.

.....just something to consider

FamilyGuy
12-20-2010, 23:33
Yes but the entire length is NOT usable, whereas with the Rainbow it is.

Every night sleeping in the Moment, my sleeping bag got wet. I would not touch the end but because of the very narrow ends I would touch the sides.

Never been wet in the Rainbow.

Horses for courses. YMMV and all that.

I'm 6'5". I own a Double Rainbow & a Moment,, and the Moment is longer,, and the one I prefer by far. Even though the floor length of the Moment is 4" shorter than the DR/R (Double Rainbow/Rainbow), the overall length of the Moment is 110".

The canopy of the DR/R extends just an inch or so beyond the floor on each end, whereas the canopy of the Moment extends 13" on each end. NO CHANCE of my sleeping bag touching each end of the Moment, but it would touch the ends on my DR, causing me to sleep diagonal to avoid this issue. And even diagonal, I occasionally touch the ends which is no big deal unless there's condensation which wets my bag.

Also, I love the small overall footprint of the Moment.

.....just something to consider

Big Dawg
12-21-2010, 10:55
Yes but the entire length is NOT usable, whereas with the Rainbow it is.

sure it is... I put my boots on one end and other mics items on the other. The items just have to be things that could possibly touch wet ground since the "floor" of those ends are mesh. And my "long" sleeping bag has room to stretch out and not get wet on the ends.

Every night sleeping in the Moment, my sleeping bag got wet. I would not touch the end but because of the very narrow ends I would touch the sides.

hmmmm,, my bag has never gotten wet from the sides. not sure what's happenin to ya there.

Never been wet in the Rainbow.

my ends have gotten wet in my double rainbow

Horses for courses. YMMV and all that.

yahhhh,, potato potata

10-K
12-23-2010, 08:36
My Rainbow came yesterday. I set it up with trekking poles in the basement and seam sealed it.

My impression is that it's a lot roomier that my Lunar Solo and definitely easier to pitch. There's plenty of room and I especially like the ability to sit up straight from a lying down position without having to do any contortions.

I do have a question though... When pitching with stakes instead of poles - does pulling the corners tight keep the arch pole straight? Seems like it will fall to one side. Without the velcro strap to secure the trekking pole on each end of the arch pole the tent body leaned heavily to one side.

Johnny Thunder
12-23-2010, 09:42
yeah it holds straight. you'll get the hang of it quick.

my basic setup is to:

put in the pole. stake the door (zipped) and the rear. move the base of the pole (both sides) so it's straight up and down. stake one end and then pull the other tight at 45 degree angles. then use the tensioners. don't push the stakes in (leaving yourself an inch will help with the breathing). stake so that the tensioners are as far out as possible. this helps with the breathing, too.

skinewmexico
12-23-2010, 11:56
I haven't been real impressed with how my Double Rainbow sets up with trekking poles. But I don't do that anyway.

10-K
12-23-2010, 14:31
I just set the Rainbow up in the yard with stakes and I'm really impressed. What a great design.

My goto tents are now the Rainbow and my Lunar Duo.

Big Dawg
12-23-2010, 19:08
I haven't been real impressed with how my Double Rainbow sets up with trekking poles. But I don't do that anyway.

yeah,,, same here.

thelightinside
12-24-2010, 12:39
What about a ground sheet? Is it worth the weight?

skinewmexico
12-24-2010, 12:53

Depends on where you live. If I don't use one, I get holes. Sometimes get holes in the ground sheet just spreading it out.

bigcranky
12-24-2010, 14:39
I had a Double Rainbow, traded it for a Lunar Duo (for hiking with my wife), then bought a Moment for solo hiking. All of them are well designed and well made. The Moment is great -- easy and quick to set up, plenty of room for a tall hiker and gear, etc.

Big Dawg
12-25-2010, 17:13

depends on who you ask. I use this (http://jwbasecamp.com/Articles/Silnylon1/index.html) lighter option that doesn't require dealing w/ an extra fabric (ground sheet -- tyvek, plastic, etc). It gives you that extra layer of protection for just an ounce or two.

DLANOIE
12-25-2010, 20:41
depends on who you ask. I use this (http://jwbasecamp.com/Articles/Silnylon1/index.html) lighter option that doesn't require dealing w/ an extra fabric (ground sheet -- tyvek, plastic, etc). It gives you that extra layer of protection for just an ounce or two.

So how does it work for you? Do you like it and was it easy to DIY?

Big Dawg
12-26-2010, 14:00
So how does it work for you? Do you like it and was it easy to DIY?

Works great. It gives me that extra floor protection I feel like i need sometimes. Most campsites, I feel a ground sheet is not necessary. But then every once in a while I come across a site that makes me cringe at the thought of nothing between the ground and my silnylon floor.

With the silnylon floor treatment, you're basically painting on the equivalent of a 2 or 3-mil plastic. I apply on the bottom, heavier in the center where you'll be sitting, and lighter around the edges/ends. Then I apply on the top/interior of the floor, only in the center (2'x3' section). The slurry is easy to make, and easy to paint on. It's painted on all my silnylon floor tents. It works for me!

rapchizzle
12-27-2010, 15:53
I have the Moment and love it. It's light as anything and roomy enough for me to be comfortable in. If I needed to, I could put my pack inside at my head or feet but I usually leave it out by a tre in a pack cover or in the vestibule. I'm 5"11 and it's roomy enough for me so at 5'6" I don't think you'll run into much problem.

hillsanddales3
01-06-2011, 15:23
Hey Lightinside. I have a recommendation for your Moment. If not using the cross poles, replace the 2 pegs (that come with it) with 2 longer ones. I have a Moment and, depending on the soil and the wind conditions, I found 2 larger pegs would hold it down more securely. Guy as necessary. Great little shelter IMO. I'm 5' 7" and have plenty of room, it's VERY quick to set up, think a minute! Good Luck!