PDA

View Full Version : Buckeye trail

catingeorgia
12-18-2010, 20:09
just wondering if anyone has any experience on the Buckeye Trail or opinions about it. thanks

max patch
12-18-2010, 20:34
You can spend an enjoyable day on the trail at Hocking Hills SP in SE Ohio.

couscous
12-18-2010, 21:09
Lots of sections still involve road walking. Many areas have no trail-side camping options. 5,000+ people will hike part of the trail in Hocking Hills on the 3rd Saturday in January .. Hocking Hills Winter Hike (http://www.heartofhocking.com/Winter_Hike_Hocking_Hills.htm).

catingeorgia
12-18-2010, 22:03
Lots of sections still involve road walking. Many areas have no trail-side camping options. 5,000+ people will hike part of the trail in Hocking Hills on the 3rd Saturday in January .. Hocking Hills Winter Hike (http://www.heartofhocking.com/Winter_Hike_Hocking_Hills.htm).

great! i live in cincinnati and was looking for some local get togethers in jan. ive heard of hocking hills but never had the pleasure to go. there is a backpacking trail up there listed in backpackingohio.com that i have been wanting to try...are you (or any other WhiteBlaze members) going there for the hike?

catingeorgia
12-18-2010, 22:06
great! i live in cincinnati and was looking for some local get togethers in jan. ive heard of hocking hills but never had the pleasure to go. there is a backpacking trail up there listed in backpackingohio.com that i have been wanting to try...are you (or any other WhiteBlaze members) going there for the hike?

im sorry...its backpackohio.com

Storm
12-18-2010, 22:21
The only sections I've hiked are the tow paths near Massillon. They are very flat, pretty boring with limited camping.

couscous
12-18-2010, 23:03

I'm planning to be at the Hocking Hills Winter Hike, been there the past 10 straight years. You may have seen Zaleski on backpackohio.com .. great place to go backpacking.. not too far from Hocking Hills.

Lostone
12-19-2010, 00:29
Section hiking it is ok, son and I have completed roughly 500 miles of it. There is very little legal trail side camping or water. Lots of road hiking too.

The hocking hills winter hike is a terrible event. You walk in a single file line for 6 miles in mud with people who don't hike and are not dressed for the weather.

We hike it the week before, we do 12 miles from old mans cave to ash cave and back. be careful the steps are really slipper, wear yaktrax or some other traction aid.

LIVESTRONG
12-19-2010, 20:55
been doing the hike for years,

last year we set up a booth for the BTA at the halfway point and gave out info on how to volunteer and get involved,

We just purchased over 300 acres in southern ohio to get the trail back to where it was previously.
I maintain a section near old mans cave, 3 weeks ago and a few others were doing work down there to help have the trail ready for the hike.

Lostone is correct though, last year 5000+ people and it was in the 20's-low 30's. some years when it's really bad a lot less people will be out there though.

LIVESTRONG
12-19-2010, 20:57
http://www.buckeyetrail.org/ to order maps and discover hikes near you.

and become a member of course.

restlesss
12-19-2010, 21:06
Haunt done any buckeye trail but am always looking to go somewhere. If you are planning any trips let me know. Would love to join.

couscous
12-20-2010, 17:12
The hocking hills winter hike is a terrible event. You walk in a single file line for 6 miles in mud with people who don't hike and are not dressed for the weather.

I enjoy a winter walk with friends, meeting new people and the scenery.
http://twchikers.com/hocking2010/img_0637.jpg

Pioneer Spirit
12-22-2010, 18:12
I've hiked a little over 500 miles of the BT crossing all sorts of terrain. You have rough hills in the east and south and flats on the west and north. About 60% or so of the trail is roadwalk, the BT folks strive to move more of it off road when possible.

The trail is 1440 miles long, or rather in circumference since it's billed as the largest loop trail in the US. The difficulty for me is finding folks to shuttle me around as needed since I don't have the 10+ weeks free to do the trail all at once. Most parts tend to avoid high population areas but you do pass into resupply towns on occasion.

I've walked 25 miles in a straight, flat line in the north but zig-zag all day in the southern hills and end up practically in view of where you started.

While the BT is a circle, there are three or four spurs and loops as well. A spur in the south runs from Milford to Eden park in Cincinnati, a spur that runs to Lake Erie shore and 'the stupid' loop near Marietta. The loop is mainly for the ADT trail to leave the state for WVa.

The ADT and NCT share section of the BT although they are not certified on roadways.

I'll be on the trail tomorrow in the south below Peebles to complete the Shawnee section map. Just look on the BT page http://buckeyetrail.org/ for events.

Join up

Pioneer Spirit
12-28-2010, 19:21
One more side note. I'm leading a small group of < a dozen on the January 15th Hocking hills hike for the 4th year in a row. Come on down and join us or send a note. I have now returned to live in the area again, my ancestors held dances and reunions in Ash Cave since the late 1800's.

Atlasquest.com

schnikel
12-28-2010, 22:45
One more side note. I'm leading a small group of < a dozen on the January 15th Hocking hills hike for the 4th year in a row. Come on down and join us or send a note. I have now returned to live in the area again, my ancestors held dances and reunions in Ash Cave since the late 1800's.

Atlasquest.com

I am interested. where are you meeting at and what is the hike? I do maintenance on the BT down by Ash cave.
Schnikel

elray
12-29-2010, 00:03
The Winter Hike is only a few weeks away and is a wonderful introduction to the Buckeye Trail and a great way to start the new year. This section of the trail is dedicated to Grandma Gatewood who led the hike for many years.

Pioneer Spirit
12-29-2010, 19:35
I usually meet the folks near the parking lot, I'm frequently the first truck in the lot at Old Man's cave. The winter hike deviates from the BT on a much wider, easier trail before picking up it up at Cedar falls.

The BT out of Old Man's cave is too 'rough' for the 3-5 thousand + hikers on that date. Some years it frigid and some years muddy. I place a large orange and black checkered flag in the back of the truck so people can find me.

I do not have an official hike scheduled on the BT web page, they have one at Ft Hill on the same day. I will submit my proposal to them and see if they post it.