PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping Pad suggestions?

PR Man
12-18-2010, 22:14
I like my Thermorest "self inflating" pad - but it is kind of heavy. The good news is - it is very compact.

I like the fact that I can roll it up and fit it inside my pack.

Does anyone have any good ideas on how to use a "closed cell" pad and keep from hanging it on the outside of your pack?

ec.hiker
12-18-2010, 22:20
how about taking the internal frame out of your pack and using your sleeping pad as the frame? I don't personally do this but some people do. I use a marine corps issued sleeping pad its not the greatest in the world but it was free. I roll it up and keep it on the outside of my pack I still have to adress the i don't want it to ge twet issue!!

4eyedbuzzard
12-18-2010, 22:25
Roll the pad loosely and stand the roll up inside your pack. Then push it out so that it is next to the outsides of the pack. Then pack all your gear inside that. The downside is you must pretty much empty the pack and repack every time you use it. Not a big deal to most, but some might not like doing this.

This is how many hikers who use super UL frameless packs use closed cell pads to help give the pack shape and structure as well.

skinewmexico
12-18-2010, 22:26
Put the closed cell pad inside your pack first, then pack all your gear inside it (the burrito). Or join the 21st century, and get something like a POE Ether Thermo 6.

BrianLe
12-18-2010, 22:56
Another alternative is to go with a couple of 1/8" thick thinlight pads by Gossamer Gear, and stack them. These are sufficiently low volume that you can fold them over and roll them up and put results into the pack body. This is what I'm tentatively planning for this coming year as I want to use my Packa (and hence can't have bulky stuff hanging off the pack). Mind you, I'm ALSO going to have a neo-air inflatable, but for someone who is inclined to be a little tougher, a 1/4" pad equivalent is 2/3 as thick as a standard 3/8" ccf pad --- FWIW.

Torch09
12-18-2010, 23:18
This is probably the opposite of what you want to hear, but when my pack cover failed, I tied my pad over the pack to keep it dry. Being closed cell, the pad doesn't absorb water so you just shake it off before using it for sleep.

swjohnsey
12-18-2010, 23:23
The Thermarest Prolite Short weighs 11 ounces.

PR Man
12-18-2010, 23:26
Thanks for the comments.

I think I'll try the "burrito" approach. I had considered that - but have not tried it yet.

See you on the AT !

Flippy
12-19-2010, 15:30
PR Man...I'm assuming that you are hiking on the AT and your concern is getting the sleeping pad wet. Also assuming you maybe sleeping in the shelters from time to time. I used a 3/4 Therm-a-Rest Pro Lite in 2004 on my AT thru-hike and it fits well in my pack - but weighs around 14 oz. Two punctures on the AT (Top and bottom). In all fairness I cowboy camp alot, and could be more careful.

My 3/4 Z-rest weighs almost 11 oz. that I used on the PCT and CDT. Didn't have to worry about punctures and no hard shelter floors to sleep on. I carry it on the outside of my pack, and it does rain quite a bit in the northern sections of the PCT and CDT. A couple quick shakes gets most of the water off the pad. I use a down sleeping bag with pertex coating which helps.

In 2006 on the AT I started with my 3/4 Z-Rest and ditched it in the Smokies for a full length Insul Mat 19 oz (I know 8 oz more), but I slept really well even on my side. No punctures. I prefer to cowboy camp or pitch a tent, but slept in a shelter or two in 2006.

Part of the reason I carry a close cell pad most of the time is that when break time comes - I can easily remove it and sit or lay down. Great when the ground is cold or damp. It's less comfortable when sleeping in shelters or other hard packed surfaces. If you are set on putting your sleeping pad inside your pack, an inflatable may be easier and more comfortable in the shelters on the AT.

Hope it helps!

Bags4266
12-19-2010, 15:37
Kooka Bay! True R-values, and lighter than any. Will custom make any size. Plain, down filled or synthetic. Cottage Company.

leaftye
12-19-2010, 15:39
Kooka Bay! True R-values, and lighter than any. Will custom make any size. Plain, down filled or synthetic. Cottage Company.

+1

...although I would still use a very thin EVA pad underneath it to help ensure that it lasts an entire thru hike. I'm not saying it wouldn't, but an EVA pad weighs little, and it can double as a sit pad...which I really like using on cold wet hikes.

Flippy
12-19-2010, 17:06
Bags4266 and leaftye...I looked at their website and the weight looks good as does the products. Any experience with durability I would appreciate. My Inslu Mat is durable, but also 19 oz.

Bags4266
12-19-2010, 17:39
Backpackinglight.com has many threads on their pad. I am going to be ordering one soon 60x25x 3.5 thick mummy in synthetic should come in around the same weight as my BA Air core (BA is 72" long though) Only thing is now I need to buy a BA pumphouse to inflate it.

leaftye
12-19-2010, 18:44
Bags4266 and leaftye...I looked at their website and the weight looks good as does the products. Any experience with durability I would appreciate. My Inslu Mat is durable, but also 19 oz.

Don't just look at the website. Even though there are a few pads listed on that website, in reality every pad is a custom made pad. Take advantage of that and select your width, length, thickness, type of synthetic insulation or grade of down and the quantity of either, as well as the type of fabric used.

milk
12-24-2010, 00:47
I bought an exped downmat 7 and I love it! I used it every night for a month and never lost sleep from being uncomfortable. It packs up so small but when pumped its still a few inches thick. I sleep on my side a lot and this pad is so great!

skinewmexico
12-24-2010, 03:31
Only thing is now I need to buy a BA pumphouse to inflate it.

No, you need the Instaflator - http://www.themillair.com/ - and some extra money in your pocket.

Bags4266
12-24-2010, 03:36
Yea I saw that it's pretty cool, but I was able to get a pumphouse shipped for $16. I could use it also for a clothes stuff sack.

juma
12-24-2010, 07:53
I had the stevenson DAM folks make me a expecially narrow version of their down air mattress because I always sleep on my side. It weighs 19 ounces and is probably R6 or so. Comfortable, tough, and warm.