PDA

View Full Version : Who's bringing a dog?

Sassafras Lass
12-19-2010, 11:52
I can't imagine going 6 months without petting and playing with a dog - is anyone bringing theirs? What breed/mix is it?

I am sans dog :( so I hope you folks won't mind my hugging yours!

We're leaving April 4th.

Sassafras Lass
12-27-2010, 23:01
. . . and no one's bringing a dog?

:)

Fog Horn
12-27-2010, 23:07
I haven't decided yet, but I won't be hiking till 2012. For me it depends on her training, both in hiking and obedience.

I'm thinking I'll make it easier on myself though, and take her for the more dog friendly stretches, and have friends and family shuttle her back home for the tougher/non dog friendly areas.

She is a mongrel, no breed. Right now she is about nine months old, so she'll be plenty old enough in 2012 to come with me

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s272/hdcbug/416.jpg

Mads
12-27-2010, 23:17
I will be bringing my dog for most of the way. She's a blue Wiemaraner almost two years old, really docile and full of energy. We are leaving the third week of March.

ChinMusic
12-27-2010, 23:30
I love bringing my dog on section hikes. He's like a kid before Christmas when he sees me getting my gear out. He's def made the connection. There is no place he seems happier than on the trail. It does adds a lot of work to the trip and I plan accordingly.

For a thru? No way. The logistics are just too difficult for me to take that on. I can see having him with me for selected sections but not for the whole trip. But that's just me.

If you choose to take you dog, know that it will be a lot of work. There will be places you can't go to with your friends. There will be sections of the trail that the dog will have to skip. There will be people on the trail that frankly do not like dogs even being there. Your thru will have a significant layer of complexity laid upon it.

Please have a back-up plan should things not work out. I wish you both the best of luck.

Fog Horn
12-27-2010, 23:53
Please have a back-up plan should things not work out. I wish you both the best of luck.

I will definitely have a back up plan and knowing me, a back up plan to my back up plan when it comes to my pup. I love her.

Like Gheparda though, I don't know that I could go five or six whole months without seeing her wagging tail and joyful eyes. Thats why I figure I'll take her for some stretches, but not for the whole trip. Ideally I'd like to factor in about a thousand miles for her, so roughly half of the trip.

ChinMusic
12-28-2010, 00:01
.... I don't know that I could go five or six whole months without seeing her wagging tail and joyful eyes. Thats why I figure I'll take her for some stretches, but not for the whole trip. Ideally I'd like to factor in about a thousand miles for her, so roughly half of the trip.
Good plan if you can work that out. I agree with you missing that wagging tail. I am def the same.

I don't know how often I would choose to bring mine. I would start without and play it by ear.

Sassafras Lass
12-28-2010, 11:26
Awwww, what a mug! She's really cute :)

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s272/hdcbug/416.jpg

Lone Wolf
12-28-2010, 11:30
most hostels and motels don't allow dogs. prepare to spend a lot of time in the woods

Fog Horn
12-28-2010, 12:03
most hostels and motels don't allow dogs. prepare to spend a lot of time in the woods

I've got all the ones that do highlighted in my book, and plan to call ahead before my trip to make sure it is still their policy and their pet fees are the same. I've also highlighted every town that lists a veterinarian, and will be talking to hers in depth before we go. She's cute and sweet though, and she seems to make more friends than I do, so I'm not anticipating troubles with other hikers all that much.

ChinMusic
12-28-2010, 12:16
I've got all the ones that do highlighted in my book, and plan to call ahead before my trip to make sure it is still their policy and their pet fees are the same. I've also highlighted every town that lists a veterinarian, and will be talking to hers in depth before we go. She's cute and sweet though, and she seems to make more friends than I do, so I'm not anticipating troubles with other hikers all that much.
Good planning. For my section hikes I do the same thing. Most of the time things work out, sometimes I leave him home.

Other hikers: Most will be fine with a well-behaved dog.....most. You still need to approach others as if they are in that "other subset" until proven otherwise.

Fog Horn
12-28-2010, 12:38
Noted, CM, thanks! My pup is guilty until proven innocent!

Pony
12-28-2010, 16:34
Be aware that some trail surfaces are a lot tougher than others. The Whites did a real number on the soles of my shoes, you can imagine what it could do to a dog's feet. A saw a guy coming off of Mt. Washington and the pads of his dog's feet were bleeding. He said "she'll be alright". I kind of wanted to push him off the mountain.

I like seeing dogs on the trail, but don't think I would ever take mine on a thru.

Fog Horn
12-28-2010, 18:01
Be aware that some trail surfaces are a lot tougher than others. The Whites did a real number on the soles of my shoes, you can imagine what it could do to a dog's feet. A saw a guy coming off of Mt. Washington and the pads of his dog's feet were bleeding. He said "she'll be alright". I kind of wanted to push him off the mountain.

I like seeing dogs on the trail, but don't think I would ever take mine on a thru.

He should have been checking his dogs pads every day, and booty them when they begin to look worn. I would never do that to my pup :(

For anyone else hiking with a pup or considering it, I found this article to be REALLY helpful in making my decision:

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/atf/cf/%7BB8A229E6-1CDC-41B7-A615-2D5911950E45%7D/fido.pdf

ChinMusic
12-28-2010, 18:40
Booties are almost a must in some rocky sections. I have not been the Whites or Penn, but I would think they would require boots.

The only time I ever hurt my dog was on a simple walk on a local bike trail. It was a hot day and the asphalt was hot enough to burn his pads. I had to carry him once he starting limping.

Fog Horn
12-28-2010, 19:40
Booties are almost a must in some rocky sections. I have not been the Whites or Penn, but I would think they would require boots.

The only time I ever hurt my dog was on a simple walk on a local bike trail. It was a hot day and the asphalt was hot enough to burn his pads. I had to carry him once he starting limping.

I'm really loving this thread because I'm picking up a lot of insight here, so thanks Gheparda for making it!!

I considered this in my planning as well, if I would be able to carry her. Right now she is topped out in frame at 31.7 pounds, and I figure she may add a pound or two more of muscle weight (I run her a lot) but her frame hasn't grown for two months now. I can handle carrying her for a couple of days if I have to, to get her to the vet. My sis in law wants to bring her dog, if she comes with me, and he is around seventy pounds. I'm not sure we could manage his weight even if we carried him together. Weight of pup was a huge deciding factor for me, and will be a big consideration on what parts of the trail I'll bring her out for.

ChinMusic
12-28-2010, 20:10
Mine is 31 or 32 pounds as well.

"A couple of days"??? I only carried mine for about a mile and my arms were totally fried. Try it.

Fog Horn
12-28-2010, 20:14
Mine is 31 or 32 pounds as well.

"A couple of days"??? I only carried mine for about a mile and my arms were totally fried. Try it.

LOL, I've done a couple rucks with a front pack and a back pack, the front pack weighing more than my pup. I'm pretty sure that rigging a tarp up to help me carry her and strapping her to my front would allow me to get her from a to b. I'm not saying I would WANT to, but if I had to, I could.

ChinMusic
12-28-2010, 20:16
Yeah, strapping it up some way would have to be the way to go. I have good, strong arms and was toast.

Wise Old Owl
12-28-2010, 20:17

And that's a bad thing ...... Right?:rolleyes:

suppose I start to howl at the moon.... Does that require therapy?

Lone Wolf
12-28-2010, 21:14
if you're gonna try to walk the whole trail with a dog then carry all the food and water for that dog. let her/him walk free. no pack

jsstewar
12-29-2010, 19:35
And that's a bad thing ...... Right?:rolleyes:

suppose I start to howl at the moon.... Does that require therapy?

nah, you can start howling at anytime, no need for you to seek therapy beforehand :p

And lone wolf, thank you for that sage piece of dogma (hehe) but aren't we supposed to 'hike our own hike' friend? I'm pretty sure that every animal is able to carry an amount that's proportional to it's size, and I don't think that two legs is a determinate factor. Plus, I'd bet that these dogpack-making companies have some puppy lovers working for them with the needs of their favorite mutts in mind. but it's just my opinion.

CrumbSnatcher
12-29-2010, 19:49
theres no problem hiking your own hike! but when it comes to the best friend along on the journey LW is just trying to help & is talking from experience watching tons of dogs coming off the trail injured! no matter what a dog can or can't carry, dogs are not a true pack animal. and they do try to tell you when somethings wrong but most owners overlook or just plain oblivious to whats going on. most hikers either want the dog to look cool by wearing the pack or they just can't handle the extra weight of the dogs gear in thier own pack, period!

CrumbSnatcher
12-29-2010, 19:50
and theres alot more than just ''whos bringing a dog'' alot of work but very rewarding if you do it right:):cool:

CrumbSnatcher
12-29-2010, 19:52
best way to carry the dog is over the neck and shoulders
i carried my 90pd. dog for a mile once. this is the only way i could of carried her

Fog Horn
12-29-2010, 19:59
best way to carry the dog is over the neck and shoulders
i carried my 90pd. dog for a mile once. this is the only way i could of carried her

I thought about this because I read in a book (or in this forum, not sure really) that there were parts of the trail where you have to put your dog over your shoulder to climb up ladders and rocks and whatnot. In this position I'm betting if they don't move much that you could rest her on the top of the pack just a little bit, and then some of her weight would go down to your hips.

Someone told me that I should bring something like a tranquilizer or something to make her sluggish (I'll talk to the vet about it) in case she gets injured, or quilled, and I've got to administer first aid and/or carry her. Not sure about this route yet, but like I said, I'll talking to pups vet.

jcazz
12-29-2010, 20:22
I found several places that the books said they didn't allow dogs, but they did if you asked. I think it depends how well behaved the dog is and some luck. Last year the owner at a place in Harpers Ferry let me have a cabin with my dog no problem for the price of a tent site...same thing in NJ.

ChinMusic
12-29-2010, 20:22
I thought about this because I read in a book (or in this forum, not sure really) that there were parts of the trail where you have to put your dog over your shoulder to climb up ladders and rocks and whatnot. In this position I'm betting if they don't move much that you could rest her on the top of the pack just a little bit, and then some of her weight would go down to your hips.
My experience with the AT and dogs is in the south. My 31-lb Cockapoo had zero problem with Mt Albert (which is said to be the most difficult in the southern half) and even climbed Albert with ice on the rocks.

I imagine up north is where it can get dicey for dogs. IMO you got no worries for a few months.

Bama Jack & Sadie
12-29-2010, 20:29
Had to carry my 45 lb hiker off the mountain after she stepped on copperhead. A mile and a half was about my limit and luckily, that is how far it was to the service road where my brother picked us up. Sorry the pic is fuzzy but you can see a double dose of children's benedryl and copperhead venom made Sadie a little loopy. I will not go hiking without my 'Sadie Bum'.

CrumbSnatcher
12-29-2010, 20:56
I found several places that the books said they didn't allow dogs, but they did if you asked. I think it depends how well behaved the dog is and some luck. Last year the owner at a place in Harpers Ferry let me have a cabin with my dog no problem for the price of a tent site...same thing in NJ.
my dog was allowed in tons of hotel,motel,hostels,private homes
she was well behaved and not rowdy or out of controll. she was a gentle soul. never try to just sneek a dog in. be honest and up front. once they saw my dog it was usually not even a second guess.
my dog had its own couch at kincora(bob loved bear) he would tell hikers to not bother the dog. miss janet took good care of my dog at times.
the funniest stay ever was at the birdcage in dalton ma. my dog bear was the first and only(at the time) to be allowed inside the home,rob had a big ole' black dog named tinker i think? he was like half great dane and lab or whatever? but he was over 100 pounds and solid muscle!and he had killed a dog in his past. rob slowly intruduced bear to him and he was either in love or fascinated or whatever. but he acted afraid of her and jumped anytime she walked past. funny ****!
the rendvuos motel always let my dog stay
the motel in daleville
motel in waynesboro
hell my dog has stayed in the vernon NJ. church hostel
whitewolf inn in maine
packrats hostel in glenncliff nh.
just be nice and honest when aquiring about a room. if they say no, just move on and try something else

CrumbSnatcher
12-29-2010, 21:02
theres no problem hiking your own hike! but when it comes to the best friend along on the journey LW is just trying to help & is talking from experience watching tons of dogs coming off the trail injured! no matter what a dog can or can't carry, dogs are not a true pack animal. and they do try to tell you when somethings wrong but most owners overlook or just plain oblivious to whats going on. most hikers either want the dog to look cool by wearing the pack or they just can't handle the extra weight of the dogs gear in thier own pack, period!
FWIW, i was refering to dogs on thruhikes, it can be a grind day after day. not putting down anyone for using a pack. at least i didn't mean to come off that way. **** some dogs love the pack, and most probably don't mind it.

Fog Horn
12-29-2010, 21:21
Had to carry my 45 lb hiker off the mountain after she stepped on copperhead. A mile and a half was about my limit and luckily, that is how far it was to the service road where my brother picked us up. Sorry the pic is fuzzy but you can see a double dose of children's benedryl and copperhead venom made Sadie a little loopy. I will not go hiking without my 'Sadie Bum'.

CUTE PUP!! I was reading about the snake bites and how as long as you get them to help ASAP then most dogs recover just fine. I'm glad your pup is okay!

ashleigh22
12-30-2010, 03:03
Sadly, we will not be leaving this upcoming year, but in 2012 my girl, Aliyah, will be hiking with me. She is a must have due to medical conditions, so she cannot stay at home! Our other pup, Scrap, will be staying with my brother. He will definitely miss his best friend!

Glad to hear of all the pups that have been or will be on the trail!