PDA

View Full Version : Mont-bell UL Spiral or UL Super Spiral

waldick
12-19-2010, 22:16
Maybe i haven't searched enough, but can somebody give me an idea of the difference between the two models ....the down versions

Looking for an x-mas present...for me :)

tammons
12-19-2010, 22:22
Spiral is more narrow and I think they only come in right zip. At least mine did. Being slimmer they are lighter.

The super spiral is the really stretchy bag. Similar to the old hugger bags but with spiral stitching.

Never owned a super spiral, but I will say at 6'3 that the hugger bags are the only bags I have been able to sit up in zipped with my legs crossed. Very roomy and very warm.

If you want a really roomy bag that is warm then I would get the super spiral.

If more concerned about weight then the spiral.

Also if you are 6' even get the long.

waldick
12-19-2010, 23:25
Thank you for the reply...I'm about 5'11'' 200lbs. so i like the extra room.
For the difference in price and weight, i think i'll go for the UL version. Now the only question is #1 or #3. I generally don't hike in cold weather (below 20s at night), so I'm leaning towards the #3...

tammons
12-20-2010, 00:06
For me all the MB bags are accurately rated.

Smile
12-20-2010, 01:27
Already a thread about these bags here:http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=67079&highlight=Montbell

Ladytrekker
12-20-2010, 13:45
Montbell Super Spiral Down Hugger #1 (650 down)
Got mine this week and used it this weekend. Love it. Had room to turn over and was toasty warm in the low 40's. This is a 15 deg have not tried it that low yet but I sleep cold and was able to sleep in very lightweight clothing and I usually am in hat, gloves, under armour, etc. So very happy.