PDA

View Full Version : Amicalola Falls Trails Questions? Can you answer any??

whywoogy
12-20-2010, 00:40
Taking a day trip to the park. Wanted to see the top of Springer mountain and the falls.

1. How long does it take to get from the starting point of the approach trail to the top of Springer?

2. How long of a walk is the "base-of-the-falls trail" to the top of the falls area?

3. How long of a walk is the "creek trail" to the top of the falls area?

4. Which is more scenic, creek trail or base-of-the-falls trail?

5. When I get to the top of the falls from the base-of-the-falls-trail, can I link up to the approach trail? If so how long from the top of the falls to Springer?

I know everyone walks at different paces so please just give a general about response. Thanks! The info is much appreciated.

Bob McCaw
12-20-2010, 11:48
The official approach trail now goes right up the steps near the falls. Just keep following the blue blazes to get to Springer.

Except for the first mile, which is steep and involves climbing a lot of steel steps, the trail is nicely graded and easy. I'd guess the average time to do the first mile might be 45 minutes, and that after that roughly a 2-mile-an-hour pace would be typical.

Up and back is 17.6 miles. If you're comfortable with that number, the Approach Trail doesn't pose any particular challenges.

TheChop
12-20-2010, 12:22
Taking a day trip to the park. Wanted to see the top of Springer mountain and the falls.

1. How long does it take to get from the starting point of the approach trail to the top of Springer?

2. How long of a walk is the "base-of-the-falls trail" to the top of the falls area?

5. When I get to the top of the falls from the base-of-the-falls-trail, can I link up to the approach trail? If so how long from the top of the falls to Springer?

I know everyone walks at different paces so please just give a general about response. Thanks! The info is much appreciated.

1. One source says the Approach is 8.1 miles. The Amicalola map says 8.3 from the top of the falls. Like what was said above it depends on your hiking ability but I would say at 2 mph adding a mile for maybe 1000 feet of elevation change and then 30-45 for the stairs I'd budget five hours for myself but since you're asking me to tell you how long it'll take you. I'll say six. :)

2. Not long at all, less than a mile. The steps up the falls are the killer. I believe it's something like 1000 feet of elevation gain in maybe a 1/10 of a mile.

3. Looks about 1.7 or 1.8 on the map.

4. Stairs. Take the stairs. I haven't hiked the Creek Trail but the East Ridge Trail sucks and I'd recommend the stairs. East Ridge is a long crappy gravel road and then a bunch of steep canopied uninteresting switchbacks. (coming from the top of the falls)

5. The distance from the Approach to the top of the falls is "negligible" really. You don't feel like you're even on a hiking trail until after you get past the top of the falls. There's the motel at the top, bathrooms, soda machines, etc.

Amicalola Park is a fairly well developed park. I don't really consider the park proper to be all that great of a hiking park. It's fairly small and fairly crowded on good days. The falls are the park and the Approach Trail just happens to start there. Everything in the park itself is accessible by car. You can see the base of the falls, get in your car and drive to the overlook above it and walk further going to the grocery store. It'd definitely an attraction park where the state is protecting a specific attraction instead of protecting an area of general wilderness.

So if you're doing this during the shorter winter months you might want to just see the falls, drive to the top of them and hike from there to Springer Mountain.

Ladytrekker
12-20-2010, 13:37
Does it matter the steps will kill ya. LOL.....Done them know what I am talking about.

OnlyJohn
12-20-2010, 16:50
I grew up right near the falls. I even dated the ranger's daughter for a while. You should have tried to climb the falls before the prisoners built the stairs to the top. Someone was always trying to climb the falls on the rocks, falling down the side of the falls and killing themselves.
On that happy note, everything that has been said earlier is about accurate. Drive to the top of the falls and start your hike from there.
If you are hiking on the winter solstice, take the trail to the Len Foote hike inn. There is a solar calendar made on the grounds that is really cool on the winter and summer solstice.

Only John

solobip
12-20-2010, 17:43
If the 17 mile round trip is too much for your "day". Drive or hike to the top of the falls via stairs and return by way of the East Ridge Trail. Then exit the park at take FS 42 to the base of Springer, hike .9 to the top and back, very easily done on a "day" trip to the park. I say "day" because that usually means other people(non hikers) are on this trip and you want to sneak off and hike.

whywoogy
12-20-2010, 18:09
thanks for the replies and info, it is appreciated.

How many miles from the top of the falls is it to Springer?

Are there clear signs from inside the park to FS42?

Speakeasy TN
12-20-2010, 18:35
The directions to FS 42 can be found via a search on this site. You can drive to within .9 miles of the summit. The loop from the welcome center lot up the stairs and back down the east ridge is an even 2 miles. Both nice quick little walks. Or as stated above you can park dozens of yards from the top of the falls.

I did the loop a couple of weeks ago so I could get an "I survived......." T-shirt.:banana

weary
12-20-2010, 18:48
All of the above is reasonably good advice. I personally long ago stopped scheduling 17 or longer mile days. I sometimes may still do them. (well at least dream of doing so) But not as a result of planning.

If I wanted just go to the summit and return without the hassle of spotting cars, I'd just just walk to the top with a sleeping bag and something for supper and walk back down in the morning.

whywoogy
12-20-2010, 19:09
Weary and Lamar thanks for the info and your thoughts, all info is welcomed. However tryy to stay on topic and just answer the posed questions. This is the "straight-forward" section. My last two questions were;

1. How many miles from the top of the falls to Springer summit (the plaque)?

2. Are there clear signs in the park to FS42?

weary
12-20-2010, 19:33
Weary and Lamar thanks for the info and your thoughts, all info is welcomed. However tryy to stay on topic and just answer the posed questions. This is the "straight-forward" section. My last two questions were;

Okay. Let me try again. It's around eight miles from the top of the falls to the summit of Springer. The last time i was there there were not clear signs to FS 42 from the park. The road leading to FS 42, I think, was different than the road to the park.

But I was driven to the park by a friend of a friend so I may not have watched the highway as carefully as I otherwise might.

Lone Wolf
12-20-2010, 19:38

stop in or call the visitor center. they'll answer all your questions

max patch
12-20-2010, 20:08

1. About 8

2. No. Get your directions before you leave.

Harrison Bergeron
12-21-2010, 17:09
My son-in-law and I did the approach trail last summer. Skip the steps up the falls and start from the top, near the lodge, around 8:00. You'll be at Springer around noon, and back to your car before dark. It's a great hike. If you're still feelin' froggy when you get back to the car, you can run up and down the stairs once just to say you did it.