PDA

View Full Version : Marine Corps Issued Gortex rain gear

ec.hiker
12-20-2010, 00:58
I am thinking of using the gortex pants and jacket as an outer layer for extreme weather I have used it before and it is great. Does anyone else have any xeperiance with it> I will still have all my normal layers I will ised this when it is raining or snowing heavy and I want to stay dry. I have to full sets and one extra jacket. They arll newer sets one bing the new digital camoflauge and the others being the older patern
pants http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?VISuperSize&item=300505555606

jacket http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?VISuperSize&item=250714822491

and like I said I already have quite a few of them so they are free and would only use them for rain/snow suits.

leaftye
12-20-2010, 02:55
I have the older goretex. I love it, but I will never hike with it. It's not because it's heavy, although it is heavy. It's because it's bulky as hell. I have a couple 7000 cubic inch packs. That's as big as packs come. Even with packs that huge, I still wouldn't want to store that bulky military goretex clothing in it.

And if you hike in the rain or snow with those things on, you will be wet. You'll be wet from the inside out because there is not enough ventilation. So your skin stays wet, your clothing gets wet and the liner of the goretex clothing gets wet. That's not a big deal for day hikes, but it'd suck for a thru hike. The best compromise solution in my opinion is to use an umbrella or poncho.

ec.hiker
12-20-2010, 03:33
Thats odd I got my pants down to almost the size of the carboard insert on a roll of paper towels. ANd the jacket pretty close to the same. As for ventilation mine have open poket openings that go all the way to your inner layer all the way around. I were them fishing thru the rain and they work pretty good actually. I wonder if we have a different kind? I actually store it in the flap that comes over the top of my bag and covers the whole in the top of it and I have room to spare

I have the older goretex. I love it, but I will never hike with it. It's not because it's heavy, although it is heavy. It's because it's bulky as hell. I have a couple 7000 cubic inch packs. That's as big as packs come. Even with packs that huge, I still wouldn't want to store that bulky military goretex clothing in it.

And if you hike in the rain or snow with those things on, you will be wet. You'll be wet from the inside out because there is not enough ventilation. So your skin stays wet, your clothing gets wet and the liner of the goretex clothing gets wet. That's not a big deal for day hikes, but it'd suck for a thru hike. The best compromise solution in my opinion is to use an umbrella or poncho.

SGT Rock
12-20-2010, 08:22
My stuff is all the older stuff, it is VERY bulky. I keep it for trail maintenance and stuff, but don't hike with it.

4shot
12-20-2010, 09:52
I am thinking of using the gortex pants and jacket as an outer layer for extreme weather I have used it before and it is great. Does anyone else have any xeperiance with it>

you have stated that you already own it, "it is great", and you don't have any concerns about it's bulk in your pack. Then I think you should use it. Why would you not? (regardless of another hiker's experience with it).

Lyle
12-20-2010, 09:54
Only good use I've found for GorTex is as boot liners for sloppy winter hikes. Lots of better things out there for rain gear.

Spokes
12-20-2010, 10:05
My experience is Goretex (or any other proprietary waterproof breathable membrane material) in footwear has been pretty disappointing.

During the 2009 wet thru hike season, I found Goretex typically only lasted between 7-10 days of continuous use before water breached the material- and once it goes there's no turning back.

I wonder if rain jackets/pants would be the same way?

ec.hiker
12-20-2010, 14:12
I guess what I was looking for is to make sure that I would need something like that. I am starting my thru hike late feb early march. I wasn't sure if I was going to need basicly (a snow suit) oh ya if you take the interior liners out of the gortex suit they actually compress pretty good. I am taking them I'd rather have to much and have to send it home then not have enough. SInce I have so many of them I will probably take a set to Soruck with me maybe someone will want one of the jackets in exchange for a compression bag or something lol!!

you have stated that you already own it, "it is great", and you don't have any concerns about it's bulk in your pack. Then I think you should use it. Why would you not? (regardless of another hiker's experience with it).

4shot
12-20-2010, 15:32
that clears your original post up a bit then. I think you may find that a Goretex suit is a bit of overkill on the trail even with the start date you have in mind. Goretex will (imo) not prevent you from getting wet from perspiration even in lower temps while doing the early hiking so a suit like you have may be unnecessary weight. But as you suggested you can always send it home. I think you'll find a typical rain pant (early on) and raincoat with appropriate layers is more than sufficient. Good luck on your hike!

Pommes
01-17-2011, 06:09
I use my Goretex Parka and Pants as well as alot of other military gear i got in the Army. Personally i love it. Is it bulky? Sure. Is it heavy? Sure. However, its durable. I've seen other hikers snag a branch and next thing you know there is a gash in there $100 Columbia rain gear. My same Goretex set has lasted me through to tours in Afghanistan and one to Iraq. Not so much as a busted stitch. Thats with hundreds of miles of Afghan mountains under my boots.

Ironbelly
01-17-2011, 07:15
I agree that it is heavy. The pants are far from bulky and can be gotten pretty small like someone else mentioned about the size of the cardboard insert in a roll of papertowels. The parka is a little bulky, but I just keep it under my packs lid and it works for me.

I actually hike and showshoe with just my parka and a baselayer on in the winter. I open the pit zips up all the way and don't zip up the front. I find it strikes a good balance between warmth and staying dry. I have yet to overheat and sweat profusely doing this.

Hyoh and all that jaz, but for really foul weather these ecwcs items work great and are as durable as they come.