PDA

View Full Version : How do I convince my parents this is safe?

Wobegon
12-20-2010, 12:54
I'm 22, and my parents won't be financially supporting my thru-attempt, but when I recently told them, my mother especially said that her friend hiked the AT in the 70's, and that I "definitely shouldn't be going alone" because people "disappear off the trail."

I realize I'm old enough to be making my own decisions, but I don't want to outwardly disobey them, or have them worrying I'll be slashed to bits every night. How do I let them know that the AT is safer than the major city in which I live now?

Thanks!

TheChop
12-20-2010, 13:04
Unlikely to happen on the AT. (http://media3.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/photo/2007/08/03/PH2007080301058.jpg)

My mother similarly freaked out although I'm older and she's had many more years of dealing with independence in her children.

The key to me was I got her involved in the hike. She's going to be my support person. We're gong to plan it together, etc.

Another condition was me carrying a SPOT. I also got the sweet Delorme GPS out of it as well. So that's a suggestion if it's financially viable to her/you.

The other way was telling her just how unalone you'll be. I passed over 100 hikers when I was going SOBO from Neel Gap in a day.

Get her AWOL's book or a DVD. I bought Appalachian Impressions from Mountain Crossings with the specific intention of showing it to my mom. It's a good overview of the trail.

I'd say if she's that concerned about you that means she likes being involved in your life. First off involve her in the hike. When you do that she'll realize the relative safety of the trail. Actually asking something from her in terms of time/action will get her invested in your hike. My mom went from being deathly afraid to being truly excited about it.

swjohnsey
12-20-2010, 13:06
Tell here that most of those who were killed/disappeared were female.

TheChop
12-20-2010, 13:09
Tell here that most of those who were killed/disappeared were female.

That just plays into the fear.

The real way to deal with that is to tell her that yes there are scary dangerous people on the trail but that you intend to be one of the dangerous scary people on the trail.

RaoulDuke
12-20-2010, 13:12
lol TheChop

DavidNH
12-20-2010, 13:32
Fargo Bill,

I echo the suggestion that you involve your parents in your hike. Have them send you mail drops. Call them once a week or more. get them to come visit you on the trail a few times. I should actually emphasize that last point more. Call them often during the first month is probably best way to put them at ease.

Beyond that, let them know that even if you start out solo hiking, you will rarely be alone. The AT is very well traveled. If you stay in shelters, there will be a dozen or so people with you every night. Plus hikers look out for each other.

Statistically, you are far safer on the AT then driving into town to go to a movie.

Wobegon
12-20-2010, 13:59
Thanks for the replies so far. I'll look into the SPOT messaging system for sure and think of other ways to keep them more involved.

bus
12-20-2010, 14:25
''disappear off the trail."

Tell her, "See Mom, on the trail I should have no problem!

Ogre
12-20-2010, 14:26
Another condition was me carrying a SPOT. I also got the sweet Delorme GPS out of it as well. So that's a suggestion if it's financially viable to her/you.

Yeah, this. I asked my wife to buy me one for Christmas. But carrying it is more my Christmas present to her than the other way around.

(Note: she gets actual presents too, I'm not that dumb :) )

Lone Wolf
12-20-2010, 14:29
I'm 22, and my parents won't be financially supporting my thru-attempt, but when I recently told them, my mother especially said that her friend hiked the AT in the 70's, and that I "definitely shouldn't be going alone" because people "disappear off the trail."

I realize I'm old enough to be making my own decisions, but I don't want to outwardly disobey them, or have them worrying I'll be slashed to bits every night. How do I let them know that the AT is safer than the major city in which I live now?

Thanks!

tell them you're either gonna do the trail or join the army and go infantry. kiddin' aside, you're a young man that can do what he damn well pleases

bus
12-20-2010, 14:31
But really, my wife was aworried about my section hike and suggested I recruit buddies to go with me. That wasnt the best option in the end. Coming home after a truncated hike, and talking with her about the amount of folks on the trail she suggested I go alone next time and meet liek minded hikers to walk with along the way.

There should be a number of folks progressing at your speed that can watch out for you, and you them along the way.

Plus, the same undesireable folks that you may meet in town or near trailheads along the way could also be right down your street posing a threat on the way to market just as easy as posing a threat on the trail.

Maybe show her this forum and all the success stories and the loose network of folks on here that watch out for each other.

Miner
12-20-2010, 14:36
But the trail is dangerous. Don't lie to her. Many who hike the trail become professional bums afterwards and go from one adventure to the next. Even college graduates or those who made good money have thrown it all away to work low paying jobs just to pay for their next trip. That should be far scarier to most moms then what she imagines now.

As to SPOT. Their main use seems to be a method to calm the unreasonable fears of family members. However, I would NOT volunteer to carry a SPOT unless you are the one who wants it. For many of us, they are just dead weight in the pack that sometimes gets left behind somewhere and you have to go back for it since you left it out at the last break.

jesse
12-20-2010, 14:43
Just go. Let them deal with their problem.

Lone Wolf
12-20-2010, 14:46

yeah really

max patch
12-20-2010, 14:49
The Spot is a false sense of security. If it makes them feel good when they get "OK" message, how do you think they are going to react the first nite they don't get a message because the stupid thing broke or couldn't get a signal out. They're going to freak out. There are also instances (search the site or google) where expert hikers accidentally sent out the "need help" message and SAR teams were sent out. Oops.

Flippy
12-20-2010, 14:53
Fargo Bill,

You will not be alone. A couple thousand people every year attempt an Appalachian Trail thru-hike. Finding an open spot in the shelters at first can sometimes be a challenge - especially if the weather is bad.

May I suggest that you sit down with your parents and talk openly about their concerns with your hike. Take notes if you have to, and promise them that you will address each one of their concerns before you proceed with your hike. Try to emphasize that you want to put their minds at ease, and this hike is something you have wanted for a long time. It's as important to you, if you intend on finishing- that your family and friends support your hike. We sometimes refer to it as the vortex - but more on that another time. After Harpers' Ferry it's pretty much mental, unless you get injured.

I forget the stats, but I think 10 percent leave within the first 30 miles (Neels Gap), and by Damascus (Symbolic 1/4 way point) the number has dwindled quite a bit more. It will probably take you 5 or so weeks to reach Damascus. By Harper's Ferry around half of the hikers who make it to Damascus will leave too. Still there will be plenty of fellow hikers to hike with.

As the other hikers have mentioned keeping in contact and involving your family will help put their minds at rest for your safety. After the talk with your parents, if you post their concerns - we may be able to help you in addressing their concerns.

Wobegon
12-20-2010, 14:53

Oh, I will be going. I just don't want to create excess drama and bad blood in my family. It's important to me.

SkraM
12-20-2010, 15:11
Good for you...demonstrating your good character by honoring your parents. Your parents have raised a smart young man. However, good parents need to know when to let go. You did the right thing by asking them. They expressed their concerns and reservations. Now go hiking!

So Far
12-20-2010, 15:17
Look at all the bad things that can happen everyday living where u live...Now the AT. I was only alone twice on my AT thru-hike

TheChop
12-20-2010, 15:23
Oh, I will be going. I just don't want to create excess drama and bad blood in my family. It's important to me.

One way to not create excess drama is to not go into ultimatum mode. You won't leave for awhile so there's time for them to come around to it.

Flippy
12-20-2010, 15:31

I agree that you should hike.

My suggestion to address your parents concerns, doesn't mean that your parents must/will accept or approve of the way you addressed their concerns.

But in the end you will have listening to their concerns, responded to them, and made your own choice based on what you believe. It's part of growing up and they will come around hopefully sooner than later.

v5planet
12-20-2010, 17:49
Look at all the bad things that can happen everyday living where u live...Now the AT. I was only alone twice on my AT thru-hike

You can be in as much or as little company as you want, often, on the AT. Even if (when) you make tons of friends on the trail, most people still hike alone the majority of the time, from what I've seen. You may end up at the same camp site or shelter night after night, state after state, but the freedom of daytime solitude is a big part of what the trail was for me, and it's not that hard to find it.

The AT is an exceedingly safe place to be. You just have to use sound judgment for when things get hairy, like you would anywhere else. If the weather's turned to ****, take shelter. If you don't trust someone, use caution around them. Don't slather yourself in peanut butter before you go to bed (hanging your food - or promising to, at least - is an even better idea). Treat the forest and its creatures (including other hikers) with respect, and little ill can come to you.

Most injuries on the trail are cumulative stress. My own hiking partner had to leave the trail because his simple blister turned into a massive open sore. Listen to your body - especially at the beginning, and again after about 1500 miles when new and exciting things start to break down - and you can nip most problems in the bud.

And if you DO get suddenly injured or need assistance ... I had passable Verizon coverage for most of the trail... there are many road crossings... and most importantly, there are many other caring people on the trail who will know you and help you if you are in a bind.

The trail stops being scary once you learn that almost everyone is good (if eccentric...), when you know what your limits are, and when you are adequately prepared. This website is a great resource; I used it extensively last year this time when I was planning my thruhike.

Discourage your mom from reading the first few chapters of A Walk in the Woods. Bryson likes to fear monger about bears and disease carrying rodents, and unreasonably caricatured 'psycho' hillbillies. It makes for good entertainment, but it's baseless (and probably just there to make him feel better about his failure). The biggest threat to a thruhike is a lack of preparation, mental and physical: if you don't know what to expect you might find yourself underequipped (or worse, unsure of how to use your equipment in a given situation), or you might discover that it's "not what you thought it would be" and get bored.

Speer Carrier
12-20-2010, 19:16
Show them pictures of Lone Wolf and Jack Tarlen and tell them if they don't let you go you'll let your appearance go until you look like these guys.

Lone Wolf
12-20-2010, 19:20
Show them pictures of Lone Wolf and Jack Tarlen and tell them if they don't let you go you'll let your appearance go until you look like these guys.

what http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=29128&c=534

Wobegon
12-20-2010, 19:27
Thank you everyone for your responses, especially those that empathize with the importance of family relations. Some great food for thought in this thread so far.

Skidsteer
12-20-2010, 19:44

Thanks!

You'e 22 and paying for it yourself.

You can and should be polite about it but in the end your parents don't get a vote.

DuctTape
12-20-2010, 19:47
Try telling them that it's safer than getting in a car and driving to work each day.

...or maybe they should be thankful that you don't want to join the military.

The truth is that most mothers are just impossible to convince of these things.

Blissful
12-20-2010, 19:49

Agree. Heck you are in much more danger at a college campus or on street. And 1000 times more likely to get killed in a car. But having a cell phone to call every once in a while is a good thing to do.

Jack Tarlin
12-20-2010, 19:55
Bill: As others have told you already, the Trail is a very safe place. There were something like 20 homicides in Minneapolis just this past year. There have been less than that many murders on or near the A.T. in the the last 50 years. Tell your folks you're safer there than you'd be at home.

Flippy
12-20-2010, 19:58
Another thing that may help, is ensuring your parents that you know what to do in case of a medical issue. I took Advanced Wilderness First Aid (5 days) after my 2005 PCT hike and mild case of hypothermia. I didn't see that coming, and I didn't like that feeling of not knowing what to do or look for.

There is a two day class that covers the basics, and may also show your parents that you are taking their concern for safety seriously.

http://www.nols.edu/portal/wmi/courses/wfa/

Maybe they will split the cost or pay for all it? If that's not an option pick up the book and read it -in addition to taking a local first aid class. Just another suggestion.

milk
12-24-2010, 00:00
Oh nice, I'm 22 too. This summer I rode my bike from Seattle to San Diego. The whole time while planning I told my mom "I'm not asking for your permission, I'm just letting you know my plans." For being a kinda rude method my mom took it well. I involved her in the planning and that was it. By no means was it safe. Nearly died 4 times. I don't expect the AT to be safe. But finding myself in a scene from Deliverance isn't too likely.. right? I'm more worried about tripping and bustin my face/head/leg. They need to accept the dangers and help you take all the precautions.

RockDoc
12-24-2010, 01:45
Yes, falls are probably the worst hazard.

Sickness after that (Lyme's).

Car travel to towns can be dicey sometimes, but generally an acceptable risk.

Being attacked by a human or an animal is probably less likely than where you are living now.

A life well lived has a minimum of "woulda, shoulda, coulda's".

Do it while you can. You won't always be free to hike for months.

AUhiker90
12-24-2010, 02:25
Just go man.. the trail is the safest place out there with some of the friendliest folks you will ever meet. This is just one of those decisions you need to make not your parents i promise you wont regret it. Its your time,money, and life, go livin

jersey joe
12-24-2010, 08:55
In my experience, the best way to get your parents onboard is to involve them in the planning. For me, I put my worried mother in charge of planning and executing my mail drops. She really embraced this role and eventually this translated over into her further support of my thru hike.

TheChop
12-24-2010, 09:05
But finding myself in a scene from Deliverance isn't too likely.. right?

Depends. Do you have a pretty mouth?

Northern Lights
12-24-2010, 13:18
As a mom, planning on section hiking the trail over the next few years. I would say that letting your parents know how important this is to you and that you really need their support and want them to be a part of this major accomplishment, might help them to understand how important it is to you.

Honestly, they aren't going to stop worrying about you the whole time you are out there. I know I wouldn't if it was my child. But it may make them feel better about you being out there if they are involved in the planning and can get a sense of your excitement to complete the hike.

When I told my kids that I would be section hiking the trail, they just said they weren't surprised. :D You could tell your mom that there will be other moms out there hiking, maybe that will make her feel better too.

Really I would like to take six months off and thru hike it, but that will have to wait until I retire.

mweinstone
12-24-2010, 13:44
the note in my pocket said,

"to whom it may concern. my son, matthew weinstone has my permission to hitchike between philadelphia and the appalachian trail, for the purpose of backpacking. sincerly, elaine weinstone, mother."

i was 14. i resented my hippy parents for doung this. i wondered why i was allowed to be alone so far from home. and at times, with mom and dad in europe or greece for the summer. unreachable. and all because, in my many permitted outings alone, i had ended up in the cop staitons being questioned about being a runaway . missing buses and finaly carrying a note i could show and the officers would just shrug and let me go . i showed my ticket and my note, and went from the dwg to duncannon for weeks at a time with no one at home . thats not being a good parent. and no kid should be given those freedoms. but you are older, maturer, have contacts and a phone.your AT has changed and is much more crowded and full of a tight knit group of professionals who manage every drop of trail and look out for one another. hiking has come far and gear makes it safe and communications are sound. the trail simply is healtheir, sainer,cheaper, better, funner and safer than most environs on earth. thats a statistical fact and a documented condition .we hear about a kid hikin, like kirby,...and we give him what he needs. a young kid, if not where older hikers in his groupe or area feel hes missing or late, the do what we do as a rule. and that is, protect and defend and respect and guide and watch over . its the code of the mountains. big storm,early on,....kids not shown up somewhere,...folks start worryin early,..because hes young. not because being young is any disadvantage. this exsperience cannot be enjoyed by bill because he needs your blessing and wont hike with out it and all because hes like you. hes a good person. the kind that deserves what it is hes asking for. witch is nothing short of a life long love of a healthy mind exspanding wonderful exsperience we call going for a hike. dont rename our sport dangerous please. its not. its fear you feel and fear bill will never feel about the trail. he has springer feaver. he must hike .`your responsible parents. the proof is in the pudding. hes fine. hes allready found us, whiteblazers are a formittable force. in the world of jedi hikers, we are the high council i like to joke!lol.

hikerboy57
12-24-2010, 13:48
Get them involved in planning your adventure. get a copy of the AT thru hikers companion, maybe a set of maps, so they can see how close to civilization you'll be travelling, with regular stops in towns. When they can see this isnt "Into the Wild" and understand that you're never truly isolated, they'll have more confidence in your safety.Tell your Dad its like playing 6 months of golf without the clubs and balls-"A good walk-unspoiled" would be how Mark Twain would put it.

bigcranky
12-24-2010, 14:35
Dang, Matty, that was an awesome post.

LoneRidgeRunner
12-24-2010, 14:43
My parents are of the kind who also think that whatever can go wrong will and that NOTHING ever goes right. I'm 56 going on 57 and dread telling mine of my plans also but ..just tell em you're going to hike the AT and that is that and then just do it. If you seek full approval from people before you do something important in your life you will never do anything. People disappear much, more often from the city streets than the AT so should no one ever go to town?

Wise Old Owl
12-24-2010, 17:59
I keep thinking someone should make an article for this.

shelterbuilder
12-24-2010, 18:07
Yep, get your parents involved in the support-end of your hike, and instead of a SPOT, consider a cell phone for you and them if they don't have one (Trac-fones use EVERYBODY's cell systems, so you tend to have more universal coverage - plus, your folks can send you airtime, so they can "stay involved" that way, too).

DON'T promise to call on any kind of a schedule, because if you don't have coverage at "the appointed time", THEY MIGHT FREAK OUT! But texting a message when you're able can go a long way toward relieving your parents' on-going fears about your well-being.

By all means, let them know about WhiteBlaze, and tell them to log on and read some of the posts - this site has a wealth of information and some very knowledgable people, and your folks can get some of their questions answered/fears put to rest just by reading.

And be happy that your parents care enough about you to worry, and are still around to do it. :)

DapperD
12-24-2010, 21:16

Thanks!It's hard to convince your parents, the people who raised you your whole life, that you will be safe being outdoors day after day hiking, sleeping, and journeying thru different towns and states for months on end. As other's said, getting them involved and educating them about what you are going to be doing will certainly help, but there will always be a certain amount of worry involved when it comes to concerned parents. Try to stay in touch with them when possible, and if you are able to hike with other's, let them know you aren't alone. Good Luck

SassyWindsor
12-25-2010, 02:08
Ask them which trail would they recommend, the AT or the Iranian border. Then go from there.

h. hastings
12-25-2010, 14:08
Don't try to convince them it's safe. Work on convincing them that you are prepared for and capable of dealing with any situation you might reasonably find yourself in while on the trail.

wrongway_08
12-25-2010, 20:57
HHHmmmmmm, how many people do they know who have been affected by a lost/murdered or raped thru-hiker or hiker?

Now how many people do they know that have been affected by a non-trail murder, rape, drunk driver, assualt .........

willing to bet they know or are affected by no one from the first question and at least 1 or more from the 2nd.

Heck, if anything they should be telling you to spend your life in the woods - away from all those crazy people running free in our streets!

catingeorgia
12-25-2010, 21:12
temet nosce...

Sierra Echo
12-25-2010, 21:44
Your parents are worry warts! I plan on thru hiking Georgia in May and I'm a chick. I will not only be doing it alone, my dad is gonna drop me off at the trail head. My parents are very supportive of my hiking.

Jim Adams
12-26-2010, 00:43
More people were killed in Minneapolis last year than on the trail since it was created. You're not safe at home...go hike!

geek

BradMT
12-26-2010, 01:33
I guess if I were 22 I wouldn't be especially concerned about convincing my parents of anything... I'd just quietly and politely make my plans and go.

Sierra Echo
12-26-2010, 10:36
I guess if I were 22 I wouldn't be especially concerned about convincing my parents of anything... I'd just quietly and politely make my plans and go.

Maybe he plans on living in their basement til he is 45?

wornoutboots
12-26-2010, 10:44
temet nosce...

Very Nice :)

Harrison Bergeron
12-27-2010, 13:42
I'm 56 and when I told my mom I was planning to hike as much of the AT as I could stand next year, she freaked out.

Which was very weird considering that I left home at 16 when I was kicked out of school for experimenting with mind altering chemicals during my dumbass phase, then spent a few years hitch-hiking all over the country during my hippy phase, rode a Harley and hung out in biker bars during my biker phase, launched nuclear bombers from the #3 nuclear target in the country during my GI-Joe phase, and flew airplanes that I built myself during my (on-going) pilot phase.

The most dangerous activity in my entire life has turned out to be cube-dwelling as a computer programmer at various Fortune-500 asylums. After 30 years of that, the only thing that keeps me from eating a pistol is a regular tramp in the woods -- and for some reason she finds THAT activity to be the one that's dangerous.

If you ask me, the whole problem with this country is that everybody's started listening to their mothers. Here's the facts -- "safe" ain't one of the options. Nobody's getting out of here alive.

Live your own life, guy. If your mom has a problem with it, just keep it to yourself.

Carbo
12-27-2010, 14:22
Based on your age you will need to convince:

self
parents
girlfriend
wife
(2nd wife)
(3rd wife)
kids
employer (somewhere in the mix)
doctor (by now it's too late)

I shoulda, woulda, coulda, but now I can't because I spent my life convincing all the above.
The End.

rapchizzle
12-27-2010, 15:46
I say that if you're 22, just go for it. Especially if you're supporting yourself financially. I'm in the same boat as I'm 22 and almost 100% financially independent. My parents are excited as hell for me though as I'm pretty independent and can take care of myself. If you prove to them that you're able to stand on your own two feet and deal with adult situations yourself in a mature manner, I don't see why they'd have much of a problem with agreeing to what YOU want to do with YOUR life.

C Seeker
12-27-2010, 16:07
I wanted to hike the trail since my parents took me on it for a day hikes when I was 5-7 years old. But my parents normaly think that I will change my mind 100 times before I actully do it. So when I went back to my parents at age 15 and told them I will be hiking at age 17, the day after I graduate they still pushed it off. Then slowly through that year and the next they saw that I really am going to do it and started to worry. I got my mom into backpacking and I took her on a 5 day trek on the trail. That is what got her not to worry about me on my hike. Only thing that she worries about now is when I get into towns and close to towns. My dad still alittle scared but with my mom talking to him alittle and explains everything makes it alittle better.

Most I can say is either get your parents into hiking so they can understand what you want to do and how safe it is. Or gvie them books about people who once hiked the trail so they can the experince. I've done both with my mom and now she wants to hike with me, and will be hiking with me for the first week or two, this upcoming June when I graduate. Communication is the key. Just talk to them, and let them know you will call home every now and then.

bigcranky
12-27-2010, 16:34
Carbo, you forgot:

Mortgage Company

wrongway_08
12-27-2010, 16:35
Really, go for it. They will get over it. It will take you longer to convince them its safe - then to show them by doing it.

Carbo
12-27-2010, 17:49
Carbo, you forgot:

Mortgage Company

Oh yeah, I forgot, that's a biggie. I'm getting old, lately I even forget to pull up my zipper [ON MY JACKET!]:D.

Dogwood
12-27-2010, 18:42

Thanks!

With due respect to your mother she needs to get over her irrational fears by being made aware of the REAL risks involved thru-hiking the AT! Hiking the AT is MUCH safer than MANY of the riskier activities she probably engages in on a daily basis. I would ask her if she ever plans on riding in or driving an automobile. Thru-hiking the AT is safer than riding in an automobile! She just understands and is familiar with riding in an automobile so she accepts those risks, however unsafe they may deemed, without thinking about it.

Your mother is another example of someone who is not aware of the stats, being disconnected with nature/the outdoors, and has allowed herself to be programmed with the over hyped messages of the mass media fear mongers and others entrenched in fear/worry! You might lovingly, patiently, and knowledgably point these aspects out to her! At that point I would let her decide if she wants to continue living a fear based life rather than a faith and wisdom based life! This is going to sound harsh, unloving, and maybe even cruel, but it is not your responsibilty, as son, father, friend, etc, to be dragged into or dragged down by your mother's unbelief, worry, and fear! DO not allow your mother's fear, disgused as worry, no matter how lovingly she puts it, make you worry and fearful too!

mweinstone
12-27-2010, 21:50
i belive bills mom is cool. not a worry wort. she raised a son who is adventuous and sane. thats alot to do.and you sound more than harsh. moms have a licence to worry and a badge to arrest.

soulslosher
12-27-2010, 21:56
Well.. I am 22 and am planning my thru-hike.. My parents haven't really expressed their "security doubts" yet, and if they haven't by now, they probably won't.

Just try to involve your parent in your hike as much as possible-- in planning and when on the trail as much as possible when in towns, etc.

Also, have her realize that it is part of growing up.. flying the nest. Should you go hiking for about 6 months, it may be good for her in loosening her reigns on you..

God speed.

vauxy
01-19-2011, 16:07
I'm 18 and my mom wasn't exactly thrilled at first, but I kinda took the same approach as Milk. I told my parents that this was something I really wanted to do and that I wanted their support, but ultimately the decision was mine. I am also taking a spot, just to add to their comfort.

Tiny Dancer
01-19-2011, 16:10
Oh good... thanks that will really help me with convincing my parents....

Sickmont
01-19-2011, 16:52
My daughter went to Chennai, India for 2 months when she was 18 with YWAM to do mission work last year. I kind of flipped a bit at first, but then realized that i couldn't stop her if i tried. We had a lot of heart to hearts about it. The call to spread the word of the Gospel and to help the unfortunate and the sick is way too strong for her to ignore and for me to try to stop. In fact, she leaves for Antalya, Turkey in April for a whole YEAR. I'm still bugging out a bit about that one. But i do support her and ANYTHING she does or chooses to do 110%.

Odd Man Out
01-19-2011, 17:31
My daughter went to Chennai, India for 2 months when she was 18 with YWAM to do mission work last year. ... In fact, she leaves for Antalya, Turkey in April for a whole YEAR. I'm still bugging out a bit about that one. But i do support her and ANYTHING she does or chooses to do 110%.

I wish my 18 year old daughter went on mission trips to safe places like India and Turkey. Instead she went to Haiti and Juarez Mexico. I would never let her hike the AT, you know with all the earthquakes and drug wars they have there.;)

harryfred
01-19-2011, 20:18
tell them you're either gonna do the trail or join the army and go infantry. kiddin' aside, you're a young man that can do what he damn well pleases
The cat should do that and then do the trail. I've met two jar heads that were doing the trail before they went back in.

harryfred
01-19-2011, 20:20
I wish my 18 year old daughter went on mission trips to safe places like India and Turkey. Instead she went to Haiti and Juarez Mexico. I would never let her hike the AT, you know with all the earthquakes and drug wars they have there.;)
LM**O
Yeah the message is too f****** short.

harryfred
01-19-2011, 20:25
More people were killed in Minneapolis last year than on the trail since it was created. You're not safe at home...go hike!

geek
Google about any college campus and you will find the same thing. YOU ARE SAFER ON THE TRAIL than just about any college.

Wobegon
01-19-2011, 22:39
Here's an update... WE'RE ALL GOOD.

See you all on the trail in March!

Grimelowe
01-19-2011, 23:43
Isn't asking WBers for advice like asking the crazy people how to get out of the asylum?

Moms will worry. Be respectful to mom. Go on your hike.

SurferNerd
01-19-2011, 23:46
Do what my fiance did..buy a PLB.

Wags
01-20-2011, 00:24
you go out and return. any scary adventures you share with them 5 years from now...