PDA

View Full Version : Balaclava for glasses-wearing folks?

Sassafras Lass
12-20-2010, 12:57
Didn't really see this addressed elsewhere so feel free to redirect me if this is a duplicate thread.

I wear glasses and me + balaclavas don't work, at least with the few I've tried on. I've got a Dick's and a Dunham's near me and some Big Box stores and that's it - to try on real gear I need to travel to Chicago, which I don't have the time or $$ for.

Are there are any tried n' true balaclavas that are glasses friendly?

Also need a hat - are there are any women's hats that have a double layer all the way throughout the hat, not just the earband?

Feral Bill
12-20-2010, 13:08
If you can find an old school wool balaclava it should work fine. I've used them for decades with no problem.

swjohnsey
12-20-2010, 13:10
Try the issue Navy wool watchcap, a little heavy but cheap and very nice.

Rocket Jones
12-20-2010, 18:06
I wear a Buff, and I'm hoping to get a wool or fleece one for Christmas. Incredibly versatile.

mudhead
12-20-2010, 18:45
Fogging or ear smashing?

I found a Seirus PowerStretch Balaclava that was cut below the lower lip. Functional for the fogging issue. Can wear a hat over (it with my hair):)

It does bother my ears over the glasses temple, the tightish stretch smashes the ears. Not alot but enough to be glad to take it off. I have thought about just trying to overstretch the fabric, but it is hard to find something that won't fog the specs once it goes really cold.

The shaped nostril things are claimed to avoid fogging, but I have never tried it.

If you are looking for a warmer hat, look for one with "60gram thinsulate." More of a male style lacking stay warm hat.

psyculman
12-21-2010, 06:56
This wind-stopper has worked great for me, including winter cycle commuting. It stretchs down over the chin if necessary. Get it 'large size' or XL. The "wind blocking" is the best. ($17)
http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___81420

Sassafras Lass
12-21-2010, 10:49
Thanks - I received another 30% off coupon for STP - I ended up getting the Komperdell balaclava http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/,2869U_Komperdell-Fleece-Balaclava-UPF-50-plus--For-Men-and-Women.html ; said it's windproof and I like that the stitching is 2 parts on the side, like my OR fleece/wool hoodie, fits on your head better.

Also picked up some Wickers Comfortrel midweight baselayers - anyone have those?

Roche
12-21-2010, 11:03
Here are a few suggestions: CatCrap - helps to reduce fogging; eyeglass strap - glasses stay put when I trip, I have a place to keep them when I take them off (around my neck); little 3M microfiber cloth to clean them.

I lived in Grand Haven for years - there is/was a decent outfitter in Holland but I can't remember the name (old age). And Gander Mountain near the GR airport - a decent place for gear

Sassafras Lass
12-21-2010, 11:39
CatCrap - helps to reduce fogging

I lived in Grand Haven for years - there is/was a decent outfitter in Holland but I can't remember the name (old age). And Gander Mountain near the GR airport - a decent place for gear

That's hilarious - I work in musical instrument retail and we have a product called Gorilla Snot, seems to offend the genteel ladies :) There are a few outfitters in Kalamazoo too that I haven't yet patroned.

Pringles
12-21-2010, 12:22
It's fun to go into outdoor stores and ask if they sell Cat Crap. If they do, it's just a normal transaction. If they don't, the looks they give you are wonderfully entertaining.
Pringles

Roche
12-21-2010, 13:02
It's fun to go into outdoor stores and ask if they sell Cat Crap. If they do, it's just a normal transaction. If they don't, the looks they give you are wonderfully entertaining.
Pringles

I've been using it so long I forget how "unique" the name is.

Pringles - how's the UP these days? My first backpacking trip was along Picured Rocks, one of the best in the Midwest.