PDA

View Full Version : Headlamps and Lumens

Bags4266
12-20-2010, 16:52
I have search countless threads but can't find my answer. We or I know the more lumens the brighter the lamp. My question is how many Lumens are in headlamps that are 1 watt. Thanks:-?

couscous
12-20-2010, 17:37
No fixed answer as improvements continue to be made with LED. The current record is over 300 lumens/watt, but most headlamps will probably be in the 25-80 range.
http://www.headlampzone.com/headlamp-comparison.html - might be useful.

jeremesh
12-20-2010, 17:37
not positive but I think even comparing two lites with the same wattage, there are a lot of other variables that determine the lumens. Do you have a particular headlamp in mind that you want to know the lumens on?

Bags4266
12-20-2010, 17:41
not positive but I think even comparing two lites with the same wattage, there are a lot of other variables that determine the lumens. Do you have a particular headlamp in mind that you want to know the lumens on?

Not really, I have a Princeton tec. 43 lums. And I was looking at Steep and Cheap, the had a Black Diamond Spot with One Watt. I just wanted to know how many more Lums would that be over mine?

jeremesh
12-20-2010, 17:44
Not really, I have a Princeton tec. 43 lums. And I was looking at Steep and Cheap, the had a Black Diamond Spot with One Watt. I just wanted to know how many more Lums would that be over mine?

Its hard to tell with a lot of these because they have more than one LED. The SPOT ranges from 4 to 75 lumens depending on how many of the LEDs you have on.

I have the princeton tek remix, not sure how many watts it is but I love it... it has a super bright led and then three regular leds... I can see 100 feet down the trail or just barely enough light to read by. I highly recommend it.

FamilyGuy
12-20-2010, 18:14

Ah yes, that is / was the previous generation Spot with 50 lumens. The new one (2011) version has several upgrades, one being an increase to 75 lumens.

30 lumens is enough for night time hiking, in my opinion. But for the same price as last year, 75 lumens is tempting....

Bags4266
12-20-2010, 18:33
Family guy on Steep and cheap I believe they said it's the 2010 model. Still would like to know what one watt is equal to.

burntoutphilosopher
12-20-2010, 19:37
. . . as an aside to this:

i have found many headlamps to be too bright for functional use. i have ended up using my princeton Tech 'Byte' more often than my Remix for my night call outs.

to the person considering the BD Spot, i returned mine back to REI. first headlamp i ever returned. really poorly made (mine was anyway) and not waterproof ... i would put your hands on it before you commit.

Jayboflavin04
12-23-2010, 07:54
i have the black diamond spot...night hiked with it. Worked great. left it on for a whole night one time.....batteries lasted for a long time after that. good product even tho you pay for the name.

Sierra Echo
12-23-2010, 08:08
I have a black diamond spot with 75 lumens. But I just bought a coleman max flashlight at wally world for spelunking. it has a whooping 137 lumens. This flashlight rocks and it only cost about $25!

Wise Old Owl
12-23-2010, 10:52
I have a black diamond spot with 75 lumens. But I just bought a coleman max flashlight at wally world for spelunking. it has a whooping 137 lumens. This flashlight rocks and it only cost about $25!

You are clearly hooked.:cool:
http://www.aillweecave.ie/cave_flowstone_l.jpg

Sierra Echo
12-23-2010, 21:12
You are clearly hooked.:cool:
http://www.aillweecave.ie/cave_flowstone_l.jpg

I'm lovin it, WOO!
Now tell me where THAT cave is cause I wanna go there!~