PDA

View Full Version : Nature Boy considering record attempt

Nature Boy
12-21-2010, 00:02
Talk of Nature Boy going for a 60 day unsupported hike. I hear he is training in the mountains of North Georgia.

4eyedbuzzard
12-21-2010, 01:22
Maybe he and Crazyhair can start the same day and race. That would be exciting :rolleyes:. Okay not really, but it would be different.

max patch
12-21-2010, 10:06
Sure is easy to sit back in your lazy boy chair with a beer in one hand and the remote in the other and ponder....hmmn, 3 mph and hike 12 hours a day....piece of cake...

Lone Wolf
12-21-2010, 10:08
who is this nature boy?

4eyedbuzzard
12-21-2010, 10:36
Sure is easy to sit back in your lazy boy chair with a beer in one hand and the remote in the other and ponder....hmmn, 3 mph and hike 12 hours a day....piece of cake...
I thought it was 3 1/2 mph?:rolleyes: Anyway, I'm happy just getting from one shelter / campsite to the next. I shouldn't criticize. God bless 'em if running 80+ consecutive mountain marathons from GA to ME is what blows air up their skirts.

LW, all I know is that I remember a thread here that he (Natureboy) was the first NOBO to finish last year - sometime in mid May with a late Jan start, maybe 100 days or so start to finish?

10-K
12-21-2010, 10:50
I thought it was 3 1/2 mph?:rolleyes: Anyway, I'm happy just getting from one shelter / campsite to the next. I shouldn't criticize. God bless 'em if running 80+ consecutive mountain marathons from GA to ME is what blows air up their skirts.

LW, all I know is that I remember a thread here that he (Natureboy) was the first NOBO to finish last year - sometime in mid May with a late Jan start, maybe 100 days or so start to finish?

I heard plenty about Nature Boy from the thru-hikers that were racing up the trail trying to finish < 4 months last year..

Most all of them were miffed because he skipped the Smokies and was still claiming to be thru-hiking. :)

4eyedbuzzard
12-21-2010, 10:55
I heard plenty about Nature Boy from the thru-hikers that were racing up the trail trying to finish < 4 months last year..

Most all of them were miffed because he skipped the Smokies and was still claiming to be thru-hiking. :)

That thru-hiking stuff is certainly confusing. What were the rules on that again? :rolleyes: :D :banana
Oh, that's right, nevermind, I think it's been http://ui31.gamespot.com/1214/deadhorsebeat_2.gif

JEBjr
12-21-2010, 10:59
who is this nature boy?

“He's a limousine ridin', jet flyin', kiss stealin', wheelin' dealin' son of a gun. WOOOO!!”

It has to be Ric Flair. No way someone uses Ric's nickname for a trail name. :)

4eyedbuzzard
12-21-2010, 11:21
It has to be Ric Flair. No way someone uses Ric's nickname for a trail name. :)

Why not? Ric stole it too.

Nature Boy
12-21-2010, 11:26

I do like cake...!!!

neighbor dave
12-21-2010, 11:39

:-? no, i don't believe it, you mean there are hikers out there that don't follow the white blazes/ routes/ trail tread, that are claiming they hiked the trail/trails??? :rolleyes: what on earth have we become as humans:confused:
when will the first "google earth triple crown be claimed"?:D

max patch
12-21-2010, 12:01

Thats unfortunate. If true -- and I have no way of knowing -- then any future claims of setting any type of record simply can not be believed.

weary
12-21-2010, 12:23
Thats unfortunate. If true -- and I have no way of knowing -- then any future claims of setting any type of record simply can not be believed.
The three guys that I met in 1991 attempting records struck me as legitimate -- especially the "winner" who confessed to still having nightmares about the ordeal two years later.

But I take most of such claims with a grain of salt. Real records are set by having observers at the start, observers at every intersection, and at the end.

All we can ever know about a thru hike record is what the guy making the claim says he did. The world of record setters is full of charlatans.

My advice is to hike in whatever way you want, and then shut up about it. Send ATC and your favorite maintaining clubs some checks for all the good work they did to help your walk. That will make you feel even better than if you had applied for a 2,000-miler certificate.

Nature Boy
12-21-2010, 12:24

Why not ask nature Boy...?? Chances are he he might know....

Mr. Clean
12-21-2010, 12:31

Because lots of folk like something to bitch about...

Phreak
12-21-2010, 12:34
Because lots of folk like something to bitch about...
...amen!...

10-K
12-21-2010, 12:46

I was not far behind you when I started and faniced catching you - I stayed up with Frisbee for a few days before I threw in the towel on that one. Finally found my grove with Boomerang, Uncle Frank and Reckless.

Skipping the Smokies or not you were zipping up the trail at warp speed.

Luddite
12-21-2010, 12:50
Why not go hike the Colorado trail or hike across Death Valley? Whats the point of not resupplying when you're hiking on a trail where its possible to resupply?

fiddlehead
12-21-2010, 12:53
I'm looking forward to following you Nature Boy.
Good Luck.
I hope you have enough sense to ignore the naysayers.

Nature Boy
12-21-2010, 13:00
I was not far behind you when I started and faniced catching you - I stayed up with Frisbee for a few days before I threw in the towel on that one. Finally found my grove with Boomerang, Uncle Frank and Reckless.

Skipping the Smokies or not you were zipping up the trail at warp speed.

Sorry we didn't get a chance to meet. Last nobo i saw was Molasses and his dog Trash Can just north of Hot Springs. Toe Man, The Gent, And Tatto Joe were close behind or so I was told. Hope you had a great hike..!!!

max patch
12-21-2010, 13:12

10k is a straight up guy who wouldn't make up stories to post on the net.

So why did so many thru hikers say you were claiming to be a thru hiker even after you allegedly yellow blazed around the GSMNP?

10-K
12-21-2010, 13:17

So why did so many thru hikers say you were claiming to be a thru hiker even after you allegedly yellow blazed around the GSMNP?

Just to clarify....

I don't know (or care) if he skipped the Smokies or not.

It is true that I heard several times from other northbounders that he did skip the smokies.

So... I guess like the man said - just ask him - which you did. :)

Nature Boy
12-21-2010, 13:27

I entered to Smokies Feb, 10th and was greeted with wicked storm. I made it a little past Derrick Knob Shelter before the wind and deep snow got the best of me. I back tracked back to Fontana where Jeff and Nancy hooked me up with a ride. I then scored another ride into Hot Springs and then back to Davenport Gap. After reaching Katahdin I went back and finished the Smokies in June.
Thanks for asking...

the goat
12-21-2010, 13:33
Just to clarify....

I don't know (or care) if he skipped the Smokies or not.

come on.....you care a little, or you wouldn't have brought it up.

10-K
12-21-2010, 13:35
come on.....you care a little, or you wouldn't have brought it up.

No, really I don't - not even a little.

Sly
12-21-2010, 13:37

If he had already done them or planned on returning, I'd consider him a thru-hiker.

Sly
12-21-2010, 13:44
After reaching Katahdin I went back and finished the Smokies in June.
Thanks for asking...

This happens more than people think. The others see someone skip a section of trail and label them as liars and cheats, when in truth it's them that have the problem.

10-K
12-21-2010, 13:48
This happens more than people think. The others see someone skip a section of trail and label them as liars and cheats, when in truth it's them that have the problem.

I think the angst is that when there is a preceived competition and someone "cheats" by jumping ahead the problem isn't in the actual jumping ahead - it's jumping ahead and neglectinig to tell people that's what you did creating a false impression.

It'd be like running a marathon and skipping a section, crossing the finish line, then going back and making up the section you missed after you already got an "official" finish time.

Nature Boy
12-21-2010, 14:11
I've never met 10-K but I like him. He talks straight about what he believes. I understand when he says

neglectinig to tell people that's what you did creating a false impression.

that makes sense. I hiked the last 1,800 miles with out running into any other nobo's, not alot of people to tell. I didn't realizes I was creating a false impression, I was just hiking the Appalachian Trail.

jersey joe
12-21-2010, 14:23
Good luck in your attempt Nature Boy. I am sure you will learn something about your limits, record or not. Are you keeping a journal/log where we can follow your progress?

10-K
12-21-2010, 14:33
I've never met 10-K but I like him. He talks straight about what he believes. I understand when he says

that makes sense. I hiked the last 1,800 miles with out running into any other nobo's, not alot of people to tell. I didn't realizes I was creating a false impression, I was just hiking the Appalachian Trail.

Even though I only hiked an 800 mile section, I was listed as the 14th person finishing last year. Of the 13 people ahead of me, I talked to 5 of them at some length (eating, shelters at night, etc.) and they were all trying to finish asap. All 5 of these guys went through the Smokies, instead of around them, and the real issue was that your hike and their hike was not an apples-to-apples comparison.

That's all....there's really not any more to it than that and at the end of the day, it doesn't matter.

The irony is that you probably weren't even aware that this was going on behind you.

Nature Boy
12-21-2010, 14:41
Are you keeping a journal/log where we can follow your progress?Yes there will be a way to follow me, just not sure what that will be. Throwing around some idea's. Maybe use a smart phone or some kind of spot. Any ideas would be helpful.

10-K
12-21-2010, 14:47
Yes there will be a way to follow me, just not sure what that will be. Throwing around some idea's. Maybe use a smart phone or some kind of spot. Any ideas would be helpful.

Good luck on your upcoming hike BTW!

For the record, I've just been relating what I heard as I was hiking up the trail. I didn't mean to diminish your accomplishment or anything like that. In hindsight, I wish I had worded my first post in this thread differently.

jersey joe
12-21-2010, 14:51
Yes there will be a way to follow me, just not sure what that will be. Throwing around some idea's. Maybe use a smart phone or some kind of spot. Any ideas would be helpful.
I know that Galilee man updated very regularly, I believe from a smart phone carried on the trail. He had almost daily updates, until he got up north where I'm guessing coverage is pretty spotty. One thing that he didn't do was put dates and miles covered, so it was hard to figure out where he was when at times. It seemed like this was an easier method than what Karl did on his hike, third parties posting for him less regularly.

Nature Boy
12-21-2010, 14:54
Good luck on your upcoming hike BTW!

For the record, I've just been relating what I heard as I was hiking up the trail. I didn't mean to diminish your accomplishment or anything like that. In hindsight, I wish I had worded my first post in this thread differently.

no sweat...life is good

I'm amazed at what was unfolding behind me on the trail. It would have been a blast to hike with those guys...!!

Nature Boy
12-21-2010, 20:15
Has anyone heard a time frame for this? What kind of weight/gear etc...??

weary
12-21-2010, 22:37
....I'm amazed at what was unfolding behind me on the trail. It would have been a blast to hike with those guys...!!
Let me suggest you join them from time to time.

Lone Wolf
12-21-2010, 22:38
Let me suggest you join them from time to time.

why? sheeple

WILLIAM HAYES
12-21-2010, 22:57
I could care less about some guy trying to do the trail in quote some kind of record--its BS hike your own hike and enjoy it dont advertise your look at me wow attitude- 60 days is simply BS

weary
12-21-2010, 22:58
why? sheeple
Why not? He said he would have enjoyed joining them. Why not then?

Some might say that that would mess up his record attempt. But a record is only what the record setter claims it to be. In his mind, surely, taking a 10 day break to allow fellow hikers to catch up, won't hurt anything -- well in the minds of some White Blazers maybe -- but certainly not in the mind of Nature Boy, the only "official" judge in this matter. He needs only to subtract 10 days from his final tally, Voila. The record achieved.

Surely, the AT. The trail of trail angels. Can adjust it's records to please the desires of the hiking community.:-?

Blissful
12-21-2010, 23:04
Nature Boy you have a good head on you not to let posts get to you, and to be uh, good natured about it. :) Congrats on your finish, I think the hikers this year were amazing to hang in there with the awful snows they had. But they also did have fabulous weather from April on. That's when I did most of my SOBO.

Blissful
12-21-2010, 23:09
dont advertise your look at me wow attitude-

He didn't advertise it. Someone named Frankee started the thread.

jersey joe
12-21-2010, 23:21
I could care less about some guy trying to do the trail in quote some kind of record--its BS hike your own hike and enjoy it dont advertise your look at me wow attitude- 60 days is simply BS
I find that reading a journal about a 60 day attempt, or just following the progress is much more enjoyable than reading a journal about someone hiking the trail in 6 months. So, if you don't like it, that's fine, let others read about it and enjoy it.

Sly
12-22-2010, 01:22
I think the angst is that when there is a preceived competition and someone "cheats" by jumping ahead the problem isn't in the actual jumping ahead - it's jumping ahead and neglectinig to tell people that's what you did creating a false impression.

The essence of HYOH, it's no one business how someone else hikes, what they're carrying, how much, how fast, or when they hike. When people stop worrying about others they're able to enjoy their hike more.

Roland
12-22-2010, 02:39

You say HYOH and label his speed hike as BS, all in the same sentence. Now, that is funny! :D

neighbor dave
12-22-2010, 08:04
The essence of HYOH, it's no one business how someone else hikes, what they're carrying, how much, how fast, or when they hike. When people stop worrying about others they're able to enjoy their hike more.

AMEN! i agree wif sly.

10-K
12-22-2010, 09:11

Right, I totally get it Sly.

But if people think they are in a competition of some sort then you'd have to add to that the agreement that everyone is hiking the same "course" as they HYOH.

Again, using a marathon as an example, you can RYOR (run your own race) any way you like but you have to stay on the course. You can't skip miles 3-6, finish the race and get an official time and then go back at your leisure and run miles 3-6 so you can say you ran the whole marathon. It wouldn't be fair to the other people whose time *included* miles 3-6.

The whole thing is academic - I do agree with you in principle.

As has already been noted, Nature Boy most likely wasn't even aware of that people behind him were complaining. It's hard to play by the rules if you don't even know you're in a game.

Wilson
12-22-2010, 09:35

But if people think they are in a competition of some sort then you'd have to add to that the agreement that everyone is hiking the same "course" as they HYOH.

Again, using a marathon as an example, you can RYOR (run your own race) any way you like but you have to stay on the course. You can't skip miles 3-6, finish the race and get an official time and then go back at your leisure and run miles 3-6 so you can say you ran the whole marathon. It wouldn't be fair to the other people whose time *included* miles 3-6.

As has already been noted, Nature Boy most likely wasn't even aware of that people behind him were complaining. It's hard to play by the rules if you don't even know you're in a game.
Yeah, If it was a race it would be nice to let the dude know. He would have probly have left those whiners in the dust anyway.

Wilson
12-22-2010, 09:46
Since he's going for a record attempt, they could come back and have a REAL RACE. That would be pretty cool.

Mags
12-22-2010, 10:24
Enough of this HYOH crap...it is HMHDI (http://www.pmags.com/hike-my-hike-damn-it-hmhdi).

10-K
12-22-2010, 10:40
Enough of this HYOH crap...it is HMHDI (http://www.pmags.com/hike-my-hike-damn-it-hmhdi).

As soon as we can agree I'm right we can let this go....

BTW, my gear is the best too.... :)

CrumbSnatcher
12-22-2010, 10:46

if this was about his speed record attempt i agree with you, but wern't we talking about his regular thruhike last year? if he went back and filled in the missing miles in the same year he completed his thruhike.

4eyedbuzzard
12-22-2010, 10:55

You're late. ;)

the goat
12-22-2010, 11:05

the analogy would be fitting if a thru hike was a competitive race. since it isn't, the analogy doesn't really fit.

10-K
12-22-2010, 11:10
if this was about his speed record attempt i agree with you, but wern't we talking about his regular thruhike last year? if he went back and filled in the missing miles in the same year he completed his thruhike.

Really all I know for sure is what I heard from other hikers.

The issue isn't the completion, it's getting the #1 finisher spot for 2010 nobos...

I'm repeating myself now but my impression is that the people behind him got upset because he was getting the "Glory" of being #1 without hiking the complete trail.

I'm guessing this has never happened before... :)

Mags
12-22-2010, 11:12
You're late. ;)
Implying my response is too much of the standard Greek Chorus? :)

CrumbSnatcher
12-22-2010, 11:37
Really all I know for sure is what I heard from other hikers.

The issue isn't the completion, it's getting the #1 finisher spot for 2010 nobos...

I'm repeating myself now but my impression is that the people behind him got upset because he was getting the "Glory" of being #1 without hiking the complete trail.

I'm guessing this has never happened before... :)
did he claim to be first? if so yeah thats probably not right.
i thought shrek likes to be 1st. what happened to him?:D

Captain Blue
12-22-2010, 11:40
I wonder where the Appalachian Trail Conservancy got their information when they made this post on their Facebook page on June 7?

Appalachian Trail Conservancy Nature Boy, the first thru-hiker of the 2010 season to reach the A.T. Visitor Center, has made it to Katahdin! Here he is with the "Final Summit" sundae in Millinocket Maine, immediately after he finished his hike. Though he finished the Trail, he didn't complete the sundae - "the banana did me in" he says. Congratulations Nature Boy!

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/photo.php?fbid=399207492395&set=a.142376382395.123009.16218202395&comments

Red Hat
12-22-2010, 11:47
I enjoyed meeting you, Nature Boy, on my hike this year. You were as pleasant in person as you are on WB. Nice to see your plans for next year. Best wishes~

fiddlehead
12-22-2010, 12:22
Nothing like a speed hike, record attempt to bring out the emotions on whiteblaze.
2 of them going on right now.
The other one has over 8,000 views in a few weeks.
This one will surpass it IMO.

max patch
12-22-2010, 12:39
10-k gets it.

When out for a hike you can hike however you please. Blue blaze, aqua blaze, yellow blaze, no one cares.

But when involved in a "competition" -- first thruhiker to finish, fastest unsupported trip, whatever -- there are certain rules that must be adhered to in order to claim your "victory".

weary
12-22-2010, 12:41
As soon as we can agree I'm right we can let this go....

BTW, my gear is the best too.... :)
Yeah. But my gear sets a record also. It's the worst on the trail.

CrumbSnatcher
12-22-2010, 14:18
10-k gets it.

When out for a hike you can hike however you please. Blue blaze, aqua blaze, yellow blaze, no one cares.

But when involved in a "competition" -- first thruhiker to finish, fastest unsupported trip, whatever -- there are certain rules that must be adhered to in order to claim your "victory".
thats what i said

Nature Boy
12-22-2010, 14:19

Hey guys, I was just hiking the Appalchian Trail.

I signed the log book at Katahdin Stream "A Magically Brutal Hike", ate my sundae(almost), hung out with some friends for a few days, and then return to the Smokies.

I was not trying to be the first finisher, I was not going for "Glory", I was just hiking the AT.

CrumbSnatcher
12-22-2010, 14:34

I signed the log book at Katahdin Stream "A Magically Brutal Hike", ate my sundae(almost), hung out with some friends for a few days, and then return to the Smokies.

I was not trying to be the first finisher, I was not going for "Glory", I was just hiking the AT.
thats why i asked did you claim to be number one?
I agree if your setting records and all you need to be honest and up front.
but when i first read this thread, I had a feeling you were just hiking to hike.
you never know whats going on behind you on the trail, and all the hikers behind you know, is the gossip of the trail register. you seem to be a cool dude:cool: but did i read you pussed out on the sundae?

Sly
12-22-2010, 14:35
10-k gets it.

10-K may get it, and NatureBoy certainly gets it. It's the hikers that were behind NatureBoy, and you, that don't get it. NatureBoy got into their head and ruined their hikes. LOL... too bad for them.

the goat
12-22-2010, 14:39

the analogy would be fitting if a thru hike was a competitive race. since it isn't, the analogy doesn't really fit.

I wonder where the Appalachian Trail Conservancy got their information when they made this post on their Facebook page on June 7?

Appalachian Trail Conservancy Nature Boy, the first thru-hiker of the 2010 season to reach the A.T. Visitor Center, has made it to Katahdin! Here he is with the "Final Summit" sundae in Millinocket Maine, immediately after he finished his hike. Though he finished the Trail, he didn't complete the sundae - "the banana did me in" he says. Congratulations Nature Boy!

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/photo.php?fbid=399207492395&set=a.142376382395.123009.16218202395&comments

sorry 10-k, i now see what you were talking about. i stand corrected, your analogy fits.

i guess i wasn't really aware that finishing first was that big of a deal to northbound folk; us sobos scoff at such things.:D

the goat
12-22-2010, 14:40
speaking of which, where was the ATC to conduct an interview with me as the last sobo to finish in 2001?

Nature Boy
12-22-2010, 14:42
but i did i read you pussed out on the sundae?

Yeah, the sundae humbled me, that banana in the bottom of the bowl was evil...!!!

I guess I will have to hike the trail agian to redeem my icecream eating credibility...!!

royalusa
12-22-2010, 14:46
When we hiked in 2008, upon reaching the Ranger Station at Baxter, the Ranger logged us either to the "NOBO" Log or to the "Flip-Flop" Log based on what we said we were. That's how we got our number as to where we finished. I would imagine that there was a SOBO Log and a Section Hiker Log as well, but I don't recall them being mentioned. Is this still how it works? If so, sounds like the wrong Log was used, as Nature Boy has pointed out (here on WB a few posts ago), he is a flip-flopper, having flipped back to the Smokies to finish his thru-hike. Could have been a clerical mistake or a misunderstanding or an assumption or an error ... or whatever. It'll never be 100% accurate, as humans are involved.

Sly
12-22-2010, 15:11
When we hiked in 2008, upon reaching the Ranger Station at Baxter, the Ranger logged us either to the "NOBO" Log or to the "Flip-Flop" Log based on what we said we were. That's how we got our number as to where we finished. I would imagine that there was a SOBO Log and a Section Hiker Log as well, but I don't recall them being mentioned. Is this still how it works? If so, sounds like the wrong Log was used, as Nature Boy has pointed out (here on WB a few posts ago), he is a flip-flopper, having flipped back to the Smokies to finish his thru-hike. Could have been a clerical mistake or a misunderstanding or an assumption or an error ... or whatever. It'll never be 100% accurate, as humans are involved.

Semantics. I don't know how NatureBoy logged in but he hiked 2100 miles north and 75 south (or did he do them north?). If it were me I'd consider myself a Nortbounder.

So now the questions is, did any other finish in Maine before NatureBoy finished in the Smokies? If he's claiming victory IMO, he's a (fill in the blank).

Jeff
12-22-2010, 16:11
NatureBoy,

Great meeting you at Hiker Hostel this past October.

It's always more fun to hike than to read about hiking on the internet.

10-K
12-22-2010, 16:51
Natureboy - was that the sundae at The AT cafe in in Millinocket?

I took one look at it and said, "no way..". That thing would put me in insulin shock at best...

Wilson
12-22-2010, 17:20
Semantics. I don't know how NatureBoy logged in but he hiked 2100 miles north and 75 south (or did he do them north?). If it were me I'd consider myself a Nortbounder.

So now the questions is, did any other finish in Maine before NatureBoy finished in the Smokies? If he's claiming victory IMO, he's a (fill in the blank).
That's a good question. Letting a false impression of victory go uncorrected is the same as lying.

Sly
12-22-2010, 18:03
That's a good question. Letting a false impression of victory go uncorrected is the same as lying.

Since when does a thru-hike constitute victory?

Unless NatureBoy had a bet going, which it doesn't sound like there was, there is no victory.

fiddlehead
12-22-2010, 18:33
speaking of which, where was the ATC to conduct an interview with me as the last sobo to finish in 2001?

Hey, nice to meet ya Goat.
I was the first SOBO'er to finish in 2001.

Pieps and I finished at Springer on Feb 10th that year.
(but we did blueblaze the Creeper Trail) (saving Max Patch the trouble of pointing it out now)

Sly
12-22-2010, 18:38

(but we did blueblaze the Creeper Trail) (saving Max Patch the trouble of pointing it out now)

I thought you started in 2001 and finished in 2002?

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/5/1/3/7/z100miles.jpg
(Caption: Over 100,000 miles of Long Distance Hiking)

Left to right- Nimblewill, Pieps, Lu, Shirt, Fiddlehead, Tom, Sly ;)

fiddlehead
12-22-2010, 18:43
I thought you started in 2001 and finished in 2002?

Oh yeah! Seniors moment. sorry

How do you remember all that stuff Slyman?

Nature Boy
12-22-2010, 18:51
Hey guys, all I did was a thru-hike.

All talk of me being the first was from others.

I was not in a competion with anyone other than myself.

Natureboy - was that the sundae at The AT cafe in in Millinocket?

Thats the one....!!

Sly
12-22-2010, 18:53
Oh yeah! Seniors moment. sorry

How do you remember all that stuff Slyman?

Not sure, I remember lots of trivial stuff, like the Fat Tire you left me in the middle of nowhere in Montana!

I have that on slide, need to get those scanned.

Sly
12-22-2010, 19:00
All talk of me being the first was from others.

I was not in a competion with anyone other than myself.

You're OK in my book and I don't even know you. I especially love the way you have the others all bent out of shape. Good job. :D

Best of luck if you try and set the record. If I can be of any help feel free to ask.

weary
12-22-2010, 20:36
It's always more fun to hike than to read about hiking on the internet.
That because hikers are just trying waLK and to have an enjoyable time doing so. 99.99 percent of us didn't apply labels to our efforts. The 0.01 percent with labels are the subject of most of the WB disusssion.

Since there is absolutely no way to check the labelers achievements, if any, there is opportunity for endless discussion by all who for whatever reasons care one way or the other.

John B
12-22-2010, 20:47

That made me laugh aloud. Thanks, I needed it.

Wilson
12-22-2010, 21:04
Since when does a thru-hike constitute victory?

Unless NatureBoy had a bet going, which it doesn't sound like there was, there is no victory.
You Sly, talked about someone claiming victory in post 71, who were you talking about?

Wilson
12-22-2010, 21:10

No claim to victory there....Good luck, I hope u set a new record this year.