PDA

View Full Version : Big Agnes Sarvis SL2 3 season tent

wornoutboots
12-21-2010, 16:59
I can pick one of these up in like new condition for @ $75.00 any thoughts?

mcskinney
12-22-2010, 02:25
Each person will have their own opinions of course but when I'm looking to buy a tent I tend to follow a certain strategy.

Firstly, nothing over 2lb's per person for a 3 season tent, there are way to many good affordable tents that meet this criteria that it's really silly to brake this rule and carry the extra weight. The tent you're considering meets these rules.

Secondly, Carry only the amount of tent that you need, if you will be hiking with a partner or a large dog then a two person tent makes perfect sense... if you're going to hike alone with it the monkey on your back just went up by two needless pounds.
Thirdly, Condensation!! 2nd to being waterproof, condensation (@ least in my opinion) is the most important thing. Look for a tent within your price range that is well ventilated, I prefer tents with a peak vent. Read the reviews of any tent you want to buy and if condensation is a common topic then don't buy it.

Value is commonly the limiting factor in a shelter. $75 dollars is hard to beat for any shelter. I'd be hard pressed to offer any alternative to match that tent at that price short of a tarp, which some here will argue is all you need, and of course they are probably right.

As long as it pitches well, isn't too heavy, is waterproof, well ventilated, and isn't going to break the bank its a good shelter. Oh and dry entry vestibules are nice to have.

I just realized that I'm being hypocritical because my tent is 3 oz over 2 lbs when all components are brought along.

If its just for you I'd say choose another option, if the reviews say its OK and you are hiking with a partner then it might be a good shelter.

I didn't read any reviews because the research is one of my favorite parts of buying a new piece of gear and I didn't want to spoil it for you.

wornoutboots
12-22-2010, 11:25
Thx mcskinney! I'm going to pull the trigger

wornoutboots
12-23-2010, 18:16
Just bought it, a cool local seller & it's in great shape!!

mcskinney
12-23-2010, 19:01
Congrats!! looks like a cool shelter. dual vents, hybrid single/double wall, dry entry vestibule, the ability to roll back the fly on fair nights and see the stars with bug protection. You could go lighter for a fee standing two man shelter with bug pro, but not by much. You got a good price to boot. I'm sure a few here will say it's not a good thru-hiking tent, and since I haven't thru-hiked a trail yet I can;t comment there, but it looks to be a good backpacking tent which should translate.

Make sure to hike with your partner since you wont be able to split the tent between yourselves (1 person takes the fly, the other the tent body for emergency shelter if not around the other person), or have the other person carry a good groundcloth that could double as a shelter.