PDA

View Full Version : Personal Locator?

SwingLow
12-21-2010, 21:02
I was looking at different personal locators. SPOT seems to have a lot of extra fees attached and bad reviews on customer service. Does anyone know of any good Personal locators/trackers?

Phreak
12-21-2010, 21:06
SPOT 2 works perfectly. I've used both the original SPOT (eh, it worked ok) and SPOT 2 and have never needed to contact customer service for any issues.

niners
12-21-2010, 21:45
I have a Spot 2 and have had no problems with customer service. I did have to contact them, and they solved my issue right away.

The device it's self works exactly like they claim. I got it to alleviate the fears of people at home, and it has done just that.

couscous
12-21-2010, 21:57
I was looking at different personal locators. SPOT seems to have a lot of extra fees attached and bad reviews on customer service. Does anyone know of any good Personal locators/trackers?
Not sure why you feel you need to be tracked. One option is to just use your cell phone and give those concerned a call every couple days. Another is to break enough laws to get a complementary GPS Ankle Monitor (http://www.gpsanklemonitor.com/products.html). :D

Tom Murphy
12-21-2010, 23:18
SPOT is not really a PLB. It is a sat. phone without voice capability. If that is what you are looking for, this version is being reported as working alot better than the 1st generation.

Real PLBs are much, much, more reliable and are part of the government SAR system for planes and boats. ACER Electronics and 406link.com have duplicated the "I.M OK" features of the SPOT.

BrianLe
12-22-2010, 15:51
In the context of this being a thru-hiker thread, I agree with couscous. I see two reasons why a thru-hiker might carry a SPOT (2):

(1) Parents, spouse, or someone you're close to essentially demands it. If this is the case, see if you can talk them down, as you're the one that has to live with the item, not only carrying it around, but fiddling with it once (or more??) per day, plus there's the chance that if you miss a checkin for all sorts of reasonable reasons that they respond disproportionately (getting search and rescue squads and local law enforcement looking for you ...).

(2) You really really want to plot exactly where you are each day. I actually plan to do this on the CDT this coming year, but if it's the AT you plan to thru-hike, there are so many very well calibrated "here I am" points along the trail, and in particular all the named shelters, that it's quite easy to nail down where you are to a pretty accurate degree each day. Just jot it down in a notebook or something. Faster, easier, less hassle than using SPOT.
I guess if you want a blog that shows your location in real time, SPOT could be helpful there.

I'm not anti-SPOT (again, I plan to use one this coming year), I just don't see it on the AT for a thru-hiker walking during sort of standard thru-hiker season.

skinewmexico
12-22-2010, 16:51
Spot 2 recieved a "highly recommended" rating recently on BPL, but it's no PLB. The average hiker probably doesn't need a PLB either.

Mags
12-22-2010, 17:00
The Spot 2 seems to be rock solid vs the original one. Within its limitations (as others have pointed out), it seems to work well.

wrongway_08
12-22-2010, 17:17
You got a cell phone? Then why carry extra weight and all that. You can Have your GPS turned on and they can track you that way. Just carry an extra battery and you'll be fine.

This is for the A.T. use of course - the trail is so well marked and easy to just text or call, no need to carry extra weight and items to keep after.

But if it makes the family feel better that you carry extra weight, then by all means carry it. The Spot 2 has had the best reviews that I have seen so far.

Shutterbug
12-22-2010, 18:58

There are basically three types of personal locators. Each was developed for a different reason:

1) PLB -- The Personal Locator Beacon was originally developed for military purposes. I carried one when I was a pilot in the USAF. It is turly an emergency beacon. It is against the law to activate it unless you are in an emergency situation. The United States Air Force will manage any response. PLBs are heavy and expensive.

2) SPOT -- The SPOT is a commercial version of the personal locator beacon. The primary difference is that one doesn't have to be in an emergency situation to use it. If you activate the 911 feature, the response will be through the local law enforcement. There are several levels of service available. The SPOT is lighter than a PLB and less expensive than a sat phone.

3) Cell Phone -- You can purchase a cell phone APP that allows your cell phone to function similar to the SPOT. It works when there is cell coverage. I don't have personal experience with the cell phone tracking, but really have not considered it because most of the places I hike don't have cell phone coverage.

RichardD
12-23-2010, 00:31
I used the Spot2 this year, my wife and adult children would get my pre recorded e mail each day and could zoom in to see where I camped in the wilderness. Not once did it fail to send the e mails. I did not use tracking, its an extra service and uses up the battery.
The net result was far less anxiety for my family. They were also very reassured that should something bad happen I could send an SOS.
The device is really for those left at home, it worked perfectly every time.

Tom Murphy
12-23-2010, 11:37
I used the Spot2 this year...Not once did it fail to send the e mails...it worked perfectly every time.

Thanks for the review.

What general area were you in?

The reason I ask is that I do wonder how well the device will work in dense forest and deep valleys of VT, NH, and ME.

10-K
12-23-2010, 11:42
I used the Spot2 this year, my wife and adult children would get my pre recorded e mail each day and could zoom in to see where I camped in the wilderness. Not once did it fail to send the e mails. I did not use tracking, its an extra service and uses up the battery.
The net result was far less anxiety for my family. They were also very reassured that should something bad happen I could send an SOS.
The device is really for those left at home, it worked perfectly every time.

What's the difference between extra-cost tracking and people seeing where you are every night for free?

Does an OK message give someone your ability to see where you are on a google map?

Phreak
12-23-2010, 14:51
What's the difference between extra-cost tracking and people seeing where you are every night for free?

Does an OK message give someone your ability to see where you are on a google map?
OK messages are delivered with a link to your location in Google Earth. The tracking is like a 'bread crumb' track in a GPS. It sends your location every 10 minutes.

Shutterbug
12-23-2010, 14:56

If you want to see an example of the track feature, check my web site. I climbed Mt. Wrghtson last week. The tracks will show until Saturday.

http://www.davemcclung.com be sure to view with the "hybrid" tab.

10-K
12-23-2010, 15:02
So pushing the OK button just leaves 1 location that can be viewed by the family back at home whereas with the tracking option they can literally sit there and watch you hike all day?

Couldn't you just hit the OK button when you took breaks, ate lunch, etc. and accomplish the same thing (though with fewer google earth locations)?

Another question... What exactly are the fees - $100 for the basic service - what else?

couscous
12-23-2010, 16:08
Basic Plans - http://findmespot.com/en/index.php?cid=103
Additional Services - http://findmespot.com/en/index.php?cid=110

Had one for two years, but found it was easier (for me) to just text folks back home with whatever message I wanted and my location.

Jun 5 - 9:36 - Perfect weather for AT Museum grand opening.
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=40.032608,-77.305623&z=17

Phreak
12-23-2010, 17:10
So pushing the OK button just leaves 1 location that can be viewed by the family back at home whereas with the tracking option they can literally sit there and watch you hike all day?
Yes.

Couldn't you just hit the OK button when you took breaks, ate lunch, etc. and accomplish the same thing (though with fewer google earth locations)?Yes, this is the way I use my SPOT. I send OK msg as I break camp, during lunch break and when I arrive in camp for the evening.

Another question... What exactly are the fees - $100 for the basic service - what else? Here is a link -Additional services (http://findmespot.com/en/index.php?cid=110)

J5man
12-23-2010, 17:10
SPOT 2 works perfectly. I've used both the original SPOT (eh, it worked ok) and SPOT 2 and have never needed to contact customer service for any issues.

Ditto and it is half the size and weight.

10-K
12-23-2010, 17:42
Yes.

Yes, this is the way I use my SPOT. I send OK msg as I break camp, during lunch break and when I arrive in camp for the evening.

Here is a link -Additional services (http://findmespot.com/en/index.php?cid=110)

Do you leave your SPOT on all day or turn it on just to send OK messages?

Phreak
12-23-2010, 18:26
Do you leave your SPOT on all day or turn it on just to send OK messages?
I leave mine all the time during my hikes. I only turn it off once I'm back at my vehicle and headed home.

wornoutboots
12-23-2010, 18:42
I leave mine all the time during my hikes. I only turn it off once I'm back at my vehicle and headed home.

I leave mine off & only turn it on when I'm sending a message. I don't have the "tracking" service so I don't have a reason to turn it on?

10-K
12-23-2010, 23:28
I leave mine off & only turn it on when I'm sending a message. I don't have the "tracking" service so I don't have a reason to turn it on?

That's what I was wondering... why leave it on if you don't have the tracking service?

Is it waterproof - is rain and moisture an issue?

RichardD
12-24-2010, 12:14
Thanks for the review.

What general area were you in?

The reason I ask is that I do wonder how well the device will work in dense forest and deep valleys of VT, NH, and ME.

I used the Spot2 on the JMT, also I used it each evening while on a long car camp tour of the west in order to keep family informed. When you first try to send the OK message a GPS light comes on, green if its located, red if not. If its red just move a little for a better sky view and it always turned green.
I mostly sent one message from camp from which my children could click on the link and zoom in to see exactly where I was camped. Occasionally I would send another OK message from some high point such as the summit of a mountain.
Sometimes I forgot to send the message before retiring to my hammock and I found I could send from inside the hammock under the tarp.
Thinking back, the only time the GPS showed red was when I tried to send from the window of a rare hotel room or from inside the car, a little repositioning and it turned green. It never showed red when I was out camping.

Fog Horn
12-24-2010, 12:43

I was considering the SPOT for my core group of back home supporters when I thru, but my boss is worried that it would put me in danger if people knew exactly where I was the whole time, or rather, if the wrong person could find that information.

If you leave off tracking, and only send the OK message, then it ONLY goes to the ten emails you previously set up, correct? Or does it also go to some website somewhere?

Wise Old Owl
12-24-2010, 12:57
I was considering the SPOT for my core group of back home supporters when I thru, but my boss is worried that it would put me in danger if people knew exactly where I was the whole time, or rather, if the wrong person could find that information.

If you leave off tracking, and only send the OK message, then it ONLY goes to the ten emails you previously set up, correct? Or does it also go to some website somewhere?

That a hell of a different take on things. I can't imagine why someone would want to do that... Do you know any mean people?:rolleyes:

TheChop
12-24-2010, 13:02
That a hell of a different take on things. I can't imagine why someone would want to do that...

His boss made him an offer he couldn't refuse.

kayak karl
12-24-2010, 13:12
these are waypoints uploaded to google map

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&gl=us&ie=UTF8&om=0&oe=UTF8&num=200&start=400&msa=0&msid=208353935963662732477.00045653637a1e7b4d0b5&ll=37.03764,-81.488342&spn=1.015075,1.766052&z=9&iwloc=000464002ca54a3de6a45 3 Pages

notice the time gaps. longer then 10 min a lot of times. needed to be on top of pack to work. there was no leaves on the trees.

same map embeded in journal.

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=258977

i don't carry it anymore. was fun and family knew i was safe, but now they don't care (or don't worry):-?

couscous
12-24-2010, 13:16
You choose whether you want your adventure public or private. The ten OK messages go out as either email messages or cell text messages to whoever you specify. If you use postholer.com (http://postholer.com/journal/help.php?#spot) - your OK messages can update your online journal. I used to have my cell phone as one of the 10 so I could confirm the OK message went through.

Shutterbug
12-24-2010, 13:51
You choose whether you want your adventure public or private. The ten OK messages go out as either email messages or cell text messages to whoever you specify. If you use postholer.com (http://postholer.com/journal/help.php?#spot) - your OK messages can update your online journal. I used to have my cell phone as one of the 10 so I could confirm the OK message went through.

With the new Delorme Spot, you can also post your location with a message to Facebook so that all your friends can know where you are (not always a good thing).

SunnyWalker
12-25-2010, 19:45
Huh, huh "device is for those at home" . . . until you have an emergency! Then it'll save your bacon!

LPoo I know of Spot and there is one other similar device out. If you do a search of Youtube for Spot the other one will come up also.

I feel Spot and similar devices are good for solo wilderness hikers.

SwingLow
12-26-2010, 10:30
Thanks everyone!

wornoutboots
12-26-2010, 10:40
Is it waterproof - is rain and moisture an issue?[/QUOTE]
I treat mine like a cell phone, I keep it in a heavy feezer ziplock, I wouldn't say it waterproof.
One thing about coverage, I was really happy when I sent a message from Spence Field in a HEAVY fog & down pour, the message went right out (I checked to see with my cell phone, I have it set up so it sends me a message as well). I leave it in the ziplock & set it out in an open area

Phreak
12-26-2010, 11:39
Is it waterproof - is rain and moisture an issue?
Waterproof to 16.4 feet for 1 hour. I keep mine strapped to the back of my pack and have never had an issue hiking with it in the rain.

Wise Old Owl
03-10-2011, 10:36

One must understand that its human nature to complain even when there is nothing to complain about.... :rolleyes:

10-K
03-10-2011, 11:52
One must understand that its human nature to complain even when there is nothing to complain about.... :rolleyes:

Did you mean to say that last year and just now remember? :)

Wise Old Owl
03-11-2011, 20:13
Uhh Yea.... - Busted.

Nearly Normal
03-12-2011, 07:32
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gR5zo2vp6g&feature=related

V Eight
03-12-2011, 09:27
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gR5zo2vp6g&feature=related

I hate shopping, (unless it's for gear:D) but not waiting in line at the check out at the grocery store would be nice.

Buzz Saw
03-12-2011, 18:24
Took mine to Arizona last week hiking in the desert and my Spot II worked great. Google maps zoomed in and I could see the single track with the location right on the path.