PDA

View Full Version : Layering System

bailcor
12-20-2004, 21:06
First cold snap here in Connecticut, so decided to rise early and test out my new layering system. Thought some might be interested in my observations. I got up at 06:00am with the temperature at 9 degrees with wind gusts between 10 - 20 miles an hour, taking the wind chill below 0. Stepped outside dressed in the gear listed below and set my stop watch for 30 minutes with no activity. I was surprised that I remained quite comfortable as I was prepared to go back into the house and put on my shell. I then began a 6 mile walk into what was then still night. After the first mile I had unzipped the R.5 top, Houdini, and the Thermawrap. After the second mile I had discarded the Themawrap (my primary layer) altogether and finished the remaining 4 miles in total comfort. At no time was the system challenged and I felt it could hold up in temperatures below those described above. The two items that I was particularly impressed with were the Houdini Windshirt and The Thermal Mittens. I could feel that the windshirt was protecting me from the arctic blast, allowing the R.5 top to insulate me as it should. The Zyflex Thermal Mittens are amazing at only 2.8 oz’s, highly wind and rain resistant while providing digital warmth. I didn’t use the Thermawrap that much but realize that it would be very important when I stopped activity. Would appreciate your experiences, comments, and suggestions.

Patigonia - R.5 top 8.0 oz
R.5 Tights 6.5 oz
Houdini Windshirt 4.0 oz

Montbell Thermawrap 8.0 oz

Zyflex Thermal Mittens 2.8 oz

Ex Officio Explorer Pants 9.0 oz

Rei Balaclava 1.5 oz
Watch Cap 3.0 oz

Total 42.8 oz

Kerosene
12-20-2004, 21:53
I take it you're referring to the R.5 top, not an R5 (they do carry R1-R4). It is amazing at how much heat your body can generate when you're walking at a brisk pace.

Folks might also want to consider the Montbell U.L. Wind Shirt (https://www2.montbell.com/america/asp/products/Spg_shosai.asp?cat=2101&hinban=2303163), which comes in at 2.6 ounces, for about the same price as the Houdini.

The Hog
12-21-2004, 09:09
Bailcor, it sounds like you've found a great system, how much did it cost? I regularly cross country ski here in Northern Vermont (at wind chills as far down as fifty below) and am always amazed at how much heat your body can generate while hiking, skiing, etc. It's when you stop that you really need the serious layering. I used to swear by wool, but now use synthetics and fleece.

gravityman
12-21-2004, 12:02
I take it you're referring to the R.5 top, not an R5 (they do carry R1-R4). It is amazing at how much heat your body can generate when you're walking at a brisk pace.

Folks might also want to consider the Montbell U.L. Wind Shirt (https://www2.montbell.com/america/asp/products/Spg_shosai.asp?cat=2101&hinban=2303163), which comes in at 2.6 ounces, for about the same price as the Houdini.

Except that the montbell windshirt does not have a hood. I personally like the hood, but if you are carrying a shell that has a hood, then you don't need it.

Gravity

bailcor
12-21-2004, 12:13
Hog - As you know the lighter you go the more it’s going to cost you. Shop around and you can usually find sales on most of these items.

Patigonia - R.5 top $79.00
R.5 Tights 59.00
Houdini Windshirt 135.00
Kerosene mentioned the Montbell UL Wind Jacket sells
at www.argear.com for $89.00. They make a good product.
Only 2.6 oz’s. No hood though.

Montbell Thermawrap 119.00
You can get this on sale at www.argear.com

Zyflex Thermal Mittens 14.00
Fleece lined, very light and very effective.
www.zyflex.com

Ex Officio Explorer Pants 65.00
I bought the convertible.

Rei Balaclava 12.00
Watch Cap 12.00
Total - $495.00

Kerosene
12-21-2004, 13:26
Except that the montbell windshirt does not have a hood.Ahh, there's the weight differential. Yes, a hood would be a nice feature in a light drizzle or if it's too warm for the balaclava/watch cap combination.

Drala Hiker
12-26-2004, 17:51
Bailcor, nice to see a report on something from Zyflex. I've been interested in their apparal ever since Backpacker had a good review on a Zyflex shirt. Their prices are so reasonable that it's hard to believe their gear is so good. How did you come to purchase a pair of Zyflex gloves? Sounds like they're worth ordering.

Kerosene
12-26-2004, 18:52
I bought the long-sleeve Zyflex shirt back in 2001 and used it on one section hike. I really liked the stretchiness, but I went with a more breathable, lighter weight, and faster drying Duofold CoolMax Alta long-sleeve shirt for my fall hikes.

bailcor
12-26-2004, 19:39
Actually was introduced to Zyflex before I retired and got back into backpacking. I play Platform Tennis which is done in the winter inside of a wire cage. On cold days we start with a lot of sweaters, etc and end up playing in our tee shirts. One of the players showed up in a Zyflex shirt and played many sets in total comfort. I got one and have been a fan ever since. I have the mittens because they are fleeced lined, light weight, and highly wind and water resistance. They kept my hands very warm in temperatures below zero. They also have themal gloves but have not tried those.