PDA

View Full Version : Resupply in SNP

Ashman
12-21-2010, 22:46
This summer my wife and I and taking our two girls (9 and 11) on a hike through the SNP. We will primarily be doing to AT but will do a few side trails as well. We are planning on low miles per day and 10 to 14 days to do the trip. Can you mail packages for resupply to the camp grounds or waysides?

Lone Wolf
12-21-2010, 22:48
no...........

Blissful
12-21-2010, 22:49
No, but you can resupply at the campstores and waysides, though it is a bit pricey.

Downhill Trucker
12-29-2010, 05:07
You can cache if you are on wheels to get there.

The waysides are great... not cheap but probably cheaper than the gas you'll use to cache.

You can probably account for a few meals at the waysides as well. The little ones will really enjoy a cheeseburger after two days of trail food. The restaurants are a real nice grab, and a beer for the adults!

Have fun!

Helios
12-29-2010, 06:33
Blackberry milkshakes make the waysides worth the stop - IMO! Hard for me to hike by them while I'm in the park during their open season.

cravj1988
12-29-2010, 09:20
SNP is a great place to hike with a family. When I go thru there again I'll take no more than 2 days of food. The resupply at waysides and campgrounds are wonderful. The milkshakes will be in your dreams for months.

MkBibble
12-29-2010, 13:33
Thinking of doing the same section in late May or early June (as soon as they are out of school), but I'm concerned that the trail will be crowded with thru-hikers. Any opionions on the best time for this section? Any other section suggestions? thanks!

Spokes
12-29-2010, 13:45
Plan on snacking at the waysides............ and spending some bucks.

The Snowman
12-29-2010, 16:54
spring and fall are nice times to do SNP. just try to avoid the spring wild flower weekend . the park really fills that weekend.

Helios
12-29-2010, 16:56
The peak fall color season was horrendous. I went out on a Thurs - things were quiet. I tried driving out of the N. entrance on a Saturday - WOW! Never seen so many people. Rangers were directing traffic in Front Royal up to the park entrance.

Peak Thru hiker season is nothing compared to that.

Cookerhiker
12-29-2010, 18:01
Thinking of doing the same section in late May or early June (as soon as they are out of school), but I'm concerned that the trail will be crowded with thru-hikers. Any opionions on the best time for this section? Any other section suggestions? thanks!

I think late April & early May are nice times to hike SNP. You'll see some thruhikers but it won't be overcrowded, especially during weekdays. Early wildflowers are out and leaves are still barely budding at the higher elevations.

But that timeframe probably doesn't work for you if you're bringing your kids. Re. late May/early June, I'd suggest you hike a bit further south - perhaps the southern district of SNP (between Swift Run Gap and Rockfish Gap/Waynesboro) and further south where the AT parallels the Blue Ridge Parkway. The Trail doesn't cross BRP as frequently as Skyline Drive. Hiking further south gives you 2 advantages: (1) you probably have a few less thruhikers around and (2) you also have less locals out for short section hikes.