PDA

View Full Version : thruhikes reported to ATC

lobster
12-20-2004, 22:46
Is there a list online of the hikers who over the years have sent in for their certificate?

Boy, wouldn't it be fun to point out those who didn't hike all the miles!

Blue Jay
12-21-2004, 08:16
Is there a list online of the hikers who over the years have sent in for their certificate?

Boy, wouldn't it be fun to point out those who didn't hike all the miles!

Only if you have no other life.

The Old Fhart
12-21-2004, 08:58
There is a list but it isn't put there to satisfy anyone's personal vendetta.

lobster
12-21-2004, 14:22
Lighten up! What personal vendetta. Just to cause a little fun!

lobster
12-21-2004, 14:34
What's the online website that has the names?

The Solemates
12-21-2004, 15:11
I cant find anywhere online that the ATC has them posted. They must keep only paper copies.

Blue Jay
12-21-2004, 15:35
Lighten up! What personal vendetta. Just to cause a little fun!

You could lighten up on the people on the list. Are you absolutely sure you hiked every last inch of the trail. If you need the list so much, why don't you spend a few bucks and join the ATC. You want some fun, take Baltimore Jacks advice and donate some money to the USO. Once again get a life.

Jack Tarlin
12-21-2004, 20:25
The ATC does indeed have a list of everyone who's reported in to them that they've completed a thru-hike, but the list is not on-line, nor, to my knowledge, is it accessible to the public. I suspect that is done out of respect for people's privacy, and also, so that the list can't be used for any commercial purposes.

The ATC is certainly aware that many of the people that have filled out "completion" forms have not completed the entire Trail, and quite rightly, they don't really care. The submission of completion forms is done on the honor sysytem, and the ATC lacks the manpower, the energy, the wherewithal, and most of all, they lack any interest in determining who has, and who has not actually completed the Trail. Evidently, they quite rightly feel that there are more important demands on their time, and more significant things to worry about.

Lugnut
12-22-2004, 03:09
[QUOTE=Jack Tarlin]The ATC does indeed have a list of everyone who's reported in to them that they've completed a thru-hike, but the list is not on-line, nor, to my knowledge, is it accessible to the public.

An updated list is published each year in the ATN.

jersey joe
12-22-2004, 14:20
The ATN IS in fact online. Thru hiker names can be found in the spring, usually May issues. Here are links to the past couple years with names...
http://www.appalachiantrail.org/about/pubs/atn/archive/ATN03May.pdf
(My name is in this one "Jersey Joe" for my 02' thru hike)

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/about/pubs/atn/archive/ATN04May.pdf

rickb
12-22-2004, 14:46
"Evidently, they quite rightly feel that there are more important demands on their time, and more significant things to worry about."

IMH (and uninformed) O, it is only a matter of time befor the ATC abandons the 2000 Miler recognition all together. I'd put the over/under at 3 years.

Rick B

rickb
12-22-2004, 14:52
FWIW, the ALDHA published a Yearbook with the name, trail name and home town of the first 50 years' of thru hikers.

In this same yearbook they published Earl Shaffers' first journal-- the one where he details how he missed some of the official trail in the Whites because he had his maps mailed late. Not that the ATC cared about that, or should have, so far as it came to determining that he earned the right to be listed as a 2000 Miler. He was.

Rick

Lobo
12-22-2004, 15:22
http://www.appalachiantrail.org/about/pubs/atn/archive/ATN03May.pdf

For four more years of 2000 milers(not all thru-hikers!) change the ATN03 to ATN04 for the '03 names, ATN02 for '01, ATN01 for"00, and ATN00 for'99.