View Full Version : I Bet Against It

Pages : [1] 2 3

Lone Wolf
12-22-2010, 12:37
won't be done in 365 days unsupported
http://www.theinitiativesite.com/

Reid
12-22-2010, 12:42
Doesn't even sound fun to me. 240 miles a week?? not counting a massive logistical problems.

Luddite
12-22-2010, 12:43
I bet against it too. I don't know why anyone would want to do all that in 365 days.

Reid
12-22-2010, 12:45
or in my native tounge that's what we call "writing a check yo posterior can't cash."

SamXp
12-22-2010, 12:53
35mi/day for a year? Even with a huge amount of luck, it would be nearly impossible.

Lone Wolf
12-22-2010, 12:57
35mi/day for a year? Even with a huge amount of luck, it would be nearly impossible.

plus he's doing the NCT in winter which will be snow and ice covered. he's got virtually no long distance backpacking experience

Storm
12-22-2010, 12:58
I don't understand why he would want to start in the far north in the middle of winter. I think that would put the cabash on any big miles right off the bat. Lone Wolf is right as usual.

TheChop
12-22-2010, 13:01
Cynicism is easy. Hiking those four trails in a year is insane but he seems like he relatively knows what he's getting into. The odds are obviously stacked against him.

Lone Wolf
12-22-2010, 13:06
he seems like he relatively knows what he's getting into.

hmmmmm.i don't think he really does. dreams and reality are totally different

YohonPetro
12-22-2010, 13:09
I've been following his posts for about 8 months. I am in agreement that it's probably impossible, but I've also been hoping that he'll make a fool of me and complete successfully. I guess if the updates stop coming in then you'll know!

4eyedbuzzard
12-22-2010, 13:16
Do you think it's 50/50 even if supported?
I'm thinking weather and injury(s) are very likely to have something to say about anyone succeeding at this. One really bad footstep out of 30 million or so and it all ends.

Alpine Jack
12-22-2010, 13:36
i hope he does achieve it and blows us all away. I just don't see how it's humanly possible though!

kayak karl
12-22-2010, 13:44
LW is right. this is the equivalent of 6 AT hikes in ONE year.

jersey joe
12-22-2010, 13:57
Sure, the odds are stacked against him, but this can be done, and likely will be done one day. I'd give him a 3% chance of doing this...lots of variables...lots of chances for something to go wrong.

I especially like the map image he made on his site. Very easy to look at the map and see exactly what this guy is looking to do.

kayak karl
12-22-2010, 14:19
he'e also looking for support. not donations, but direct support to him. sorry, but this leaves lots of ????????????? in my mind.

Sly
12-22-2010, 14:43
Hmmmm...

Squeaky took 8.5 months to do the Triple Crown. This dude would have to equal that and then hike 4600 miles in 3.5 months.

Sly
12-22-2010, 14:47
Sure, the odds are stacked against him, but this can be done, and likely will be done one day. I'd give him a 3% chance of doing this...lots of variables...lots of chances for something to go wrong.

I especially like the map image he made on his site. Very easy to look at the map and see exactly what this guy is looking to do.

Yeah, the map is the best part of the entire idea.

IMO, unless it was totally supported, it's not humanly possible. Even supported, it would be about 1%.

Slo-go'en
12-22-2010, 14:53
Didn't we all beat this guy up pretty good a couple of months ago? Of course he hasn't got a chance of even getting close to doing what he wants to do. He likely doesn't have much of a chance of even starting..

Torch09
12-22-2010, 14:57
I don't understand why he would want to start in the far north in the middle of winter. I think that would put the cabash on any big miles right off the bat. Lone Wolf is right as usual.

I was thinking the same thing... maybe he plans on using x-country skis?:rolleyes:

Sly
12-22-2010, 14:59
Didn't we all beat this guy up pretty good a couple of months ago? Of course he hasn't got a chance of even getting close to doing what he wants to do. He likely doesn't have much of a chance of even starting..

Never heard of him.

I believe he'll start and give it a go. If he finishes the NCT, we'll see how long it takes him to figure out he's going to slow to complete all 4 in a year. Then what?

That's why I don't like these "timed" hikes. IMO, if he were able to do it in 14 months that would be as good as a year.

Sly
12-22-2010, 15:03

Probably because the NCT has lower elevations, and maybe less snow, than the other three.

Don H
12-22-2010, 15:43
Is this guy related to Wildcowboy238?
Remember him, he was going to do 70 miles a day, "70 miles per day just means walking an extra couple of hours...."

Tilly
12-22-2010, 16:06
Probably because the NCT has lower elevations, and maybe less snow, than the other three.

Midwesterners and those living in western NY know about lake effect snow. Michigan gets a LOT of snow in the winter. It's probably just less dangerous because there is little elevation. No avalanches, etc.

Andrew Skurka did most of the NCT in the winter on his Sea to Sea route. I think he wore snowshoes?

Tilly
12-22-2010, 16:17
Although it looks like he won't be in the flatter midwestern portion of the NCT until March or so.

I've never been to the Adirondacks in January, but hiking 40 mi a day up there in the middle of winter will be quite a feat.

Sly
12-22-2010, 17:18
I'm not very familiar with the NCT but he should be out of the Adirondacks fairly quick. Is there much a terrain on the rest of the trail? It seems as though it would make for good cross country skiing or shoeing.

Jeff
12-22-2010, 17:34
According to the North Country Trail's most recent annual report:

Nimblewill Nomad in 2009 became the 8th person ever hike the entire length of the NCT. He required just under 10 months.

http://www.northcountrytrail.org/docs/NCT_2009_Annual_Report.pdf

weary
12-22-2010, 17:43
Let's all wish him happy trails -- and urge that he stop if it stops being fun.

fiddlehead
12-22-2010, 17:57
I don't see how he can do all 4 in one year.
Any 3, possibly.

Even if he skis the first one and hits 40-50 mpd, he still must hit the high sierra on the PCT when there won't be any food resupply roads open for 500 miles (until April or May)
That will be the tough part. (again, even with skis, 500 miles is too much food to carry)

If he takes his time on the first one and gets the PCT late enough, I don't see how he has time to finish the CDT and AT after an August start.
Just my 2 cents

Sly
12-22-2010, 18:07
According to the North Country Trail's most recent annual report:

Nimblewill Nomad in 2009 became the 8th person ever hike the entire length of the NCT. He required just under 10 months.

http://www.northcountrytrail.org/docs/NCT_2009_Annual_Report.pdf

A measly 15 miles per day.

I think it took Andrew Skurkka about 6 months to do the NCT (from Oct-May with a month off) during his C2C hike

quietly
12-22-2010, 18:08
Midwesterners and those living in western NY know about lake effect snow. Michigan gets a LOT of snow in the winter. It's probably just less dangerous because there is little elevation. No avalanches, etc.

Andrew Skurka did most of the NCT in the winter on his Sea to Sea route. I think he wore snowshoes?

I come from Northern LP Michigan. Yeah, pretty flat land, but very swampy and brushy. Plus, every step in snowshoes takes considerably more energy than a step in hiking shoes on a dry trail.

I do hope for him he has the time of his life, irregardless of if he makes it. It just kinda sounds like a stunt to me.

RGB
12-22-2010, 18:09
He will fail; reality trumps dreams. In the event that he does succeed (highly unlikely, I will burn all my gear and dance around it naked if he does [without yellow-blazing]) it will not be fun. If he doesn't train a ****load, he will injure himself within the first week or two trying to do those miles. His website screams naivete. But of course, despite my realistic (neither pessimistic nor cynical) assessment, I wish him the best.

Sly
12-22-2010, 18:18
Again, it's pretty sure he'll never make it in a years time.

The question is, barring injury, when will he give up trying? If he does 10 miles the 1st day and figures he'll never make it will he quit then?

If Andrew Shurka took over a year to do the easier 7800 mile C2C, who does this guy think he is?

beakerman
12-22-2010, 18:19
Never heard of him.

I believe he'll start and give it a go. If he finishes the NCT, we'll see how long it takes him to figure out he's going to slow to complete all 4 in a year. Then what?

That's why I don't like these "timed" hikes. IMO, if he were able to do it in 14 months that would be as good as a year.

I don't thnk the main achievement here is the time it takes I think his main goal is do do the trails non-stop. His goal is to do them in a year but I think that is secondary to the non-stop nature of the sequence.

Now how he defines non-stop is of course not established. Is he simply catching a cab at the terminus to the nearest airport then taking a cab to the next trail head or what?

To me that would be non-stop for sure but how abotu on the trail: any zero days? probably not with a one year goal in mind but maybe he walks real fast.

Has anyone done this sort of thing...hiked these trails back to back like this...regardless of time?

beakerman
12-22-2010, 18:20
I wish him all the luck in just hitting the trails and hope he finishes them in what he feels is a respectable fashion.

Big Dawg
12-23-2010, 22:53

most likely so,

but as someone on WB says from time to time... "at least he's (gonna be) out there". :cool:

Lone Wolf
12-23-2010, 23:01
most likely so,

but as someone on WB says from time to time... "at least he's (gonna be) out there". :cool:

not for long

TheChop
12-23-2010, 23:20
Has anyone done this sort of thing...hiked these trails back to back like this...regardless of time?

Since only 8 people have thrued the NCT I would imagine that answer is no.

Doing all four within the span of 2 years would be massively impressive.

The_Saint
12-24-2010, 00:58
I just love all the debbie downers on this site. It's always the same one that criticize the people trying to pursue their dreams. Is it because you're jealous? Is it because you're scared to actually try something crazy yourself? What good are you doing by even discussing this? If people's signature's are up to date, I see very few in here that have even thru hiked a long distance trail.

Tilly-Did we meet in 09"?

Lone Wolf
12-24-2010, 02:49
I just love all the debbie downers on this site. It's always the same one that criticize the people trying to pursue their dreams. Is it because you're jealous? Is it because you're scared to actually try something crazy yourself? What good are you doing by even discussing this? If people's signature's are up to date, I see very few in here that have even thru hiked a long distance trail.

it's cuz i know what it takes. i'm a realist not a pessimist. this ain't a dream. it's a nitemare :cool:

Doc Mike
12-24-2010, 05:33
But what is the advantage to pissin on someones parade. Their Idea, Their Hike, what does it matter. Do you think it makes you look better when you tear others down. There is a wealth of information on this site, but also some of the most cynical, critical, hike your hike my way kind of people i have ever met.
Is his hike improbable? absolutely if it was probable someone else would have already done it. Remember the 4 minute mile? I remember when it was said that it would never be done and now it is uncommon when it isn't.

HYOH
Best of Luck to all no matter what your dreams are.

Doc Mike

Mrs Baggins
12-24-2010, 06:39
The article should read "four OF the longest trails" and not "THE four longest trails" because he's wrong about that. He's leaving out the ADT and the ECT. And no I don't think it's possible, either.

Lone Wolf
12-24-2010, 06:45
the ECT is not a recognized trail

TrailSquirrel
12-24-2010, 10:37

I believe Andrew averaged about 30 or so miles per day

Phreak
12-24-2010, 10:55
Its better to try and fail than never try at all. I don't think it'll be done but I wish him the best of luck!

4eyedbuzzard
12-24-2010, 11:01
the ECT is not a recognized trail
Okay, granted it isn't recognized as such under any trail act or legislation, but it sure is easier than saying one hiked the Florida Scenic Trail to the Pinhoti Trail to the Benton Mackaye Trail to the Appalachian Trail to the International Appalachian Trail - I gots out of breath just typing it :D

George
12-24-2010, 11:08
sounds to me a very nice multi-year plan, why set yourself up for failure when you could actually enjoy these trails successfully in 2-3 seasons

Manwich
12-24-2010, 11:13
I could do that if i wanted to.

Nizhoni
12-24-2010, 11:30
I am hoping he can do it! It's sounds impossible but he might surprise us all!! Good luck to him and hopefully he can keep us all updated on this crazy adventure!!

mweinstone
12-25-2010, 10:27
id like to give examples of feats of human endevor possibly equaling, phisicly, what is proposed here .

their are military trainings at the highest levels where people work at a higher level for a longer period than this hike.

there are slave prisners who are force worked at a higher level of phisical output for longer.

some survivors of disasters have struggeled as hard, shakelton, the andes survivors,etc.

athleats may work at this level for years.

pyramid builders, arnold swartzenater,obsesive compulsives and forrest gump.

Lone Wolf
12-25-2010, 10:34
happy haanakah matty

Don H
12-25-2010, 15:23
id like to give examples of feats of human endevor possibly equaling, phisicly, what is proposed here .

their are military trainings at the highest levels where people work at a higher level for a longer period than this hike.

there are slave prisners who are force worked at a higher level of phisical output for longer.

some survivors of disasters have struggeled as hard, shakelton, the andes survivors,etc.

athleats may work at this level for years.

pyramid builders, arnold swartzenater,obsesive compulsives and forrest gump.

You forgot Chuck Norris!

4eyedbuzzard
12-25-2010, 15:28
You forgot Chuck Norris!No one forgets Chuck Norris - there are only people who have yet to recover from the amnesia they suffered because he hit them so hard.

Frosty
12-25-2010, 21:59
But what is the advantage to pissin on someones parade. Their Idea, Their Hike, what does it matter. Do you think it makes you look better when you tear others down. There is a wealth of information on this site, but also some of the most cynical, critical, hike your hike my way kind of people i have ever met.
Is his hike improbable? absolutely if it was probable someone else would have already done it. Remember the 4 minute mile? I remember when it was said that it would never be done and now it is uncommon when it isn't.Sorry, hiking 35 miles a day, every day, for 365 consecutive days, is plain silly. It isn't like running a 4-minute mile at all. It is more like running a one minute mile.

He is going through the ADKs in the winter. 35 miles a day on snowshoes, making winter camps? Someone has never been backpacking in the winter before.

This is like that Cowboy guy from AZ who was going to hike the AT unsupported in 30 days. He walked 8 miles sans pack in two hours one afternoon on some flat land near Tucson, and said, "70 miles a day is therefore only 18 hours a day. I don't need more than 6 hours of sleep, so 70 miles a day should be easy to do."

Yeah, sure, Springer to Damascus in 6 1/2 days.

Frosty
12-25-2010, 22:07
Its better to try and fail than never try at all.Sometimes, some things. Not everything.

I didn't finish my AT thruhike. Twice. I'm glad I tried. I may try again sometime.

Nothing wrong with hiking. It's great. Nothing wrong with setting goals high. Doesn't mean they are achievable, and even if this 35-miles-a-day-for-365-days is a good idea, it doesn't mean it is possible.

GeneralLee10
12-25-2010, 22:22
Well..., good luck if he does make it. Though I do hope his ULA Circuit holds up to the 47 lbs he is talking about carrying in a 30 lb rated pack. Unless I missed read something there.

Copied from his site:

Right now total gear weight including everything from camera to socks and trekking poles to shoes adds up to about 27lbs even. Actual pack weight minus the gear I’ll be wearing is about 17lbs. This should allow me to carrying about 20 lbs of food at a time. That is the idea anyway. I’ll let you know when I get back.

Even if has 10 lbs of clothing on, that does not mean he will have it on at all times. Which in return he has to put it on his pack this making his "avg" pack weight go up. So to me seems like he will have the pack over loaded most all the time. If so I smell pack failure, if that pack does not fail I will be so impressed.

earlyriser26
12-25-2010, 22:50
This is the 3 min. mile. No way even a world class athlete could do this. No injuries? weather? Logistics? I would say it would be well less than 50/50 suported.

Shutterbug
12-26-2010, 00:06
Even if he skis the first one and hits 40-50 mpd, he still must hit the high sierra on the PCT when there won't be any food resupply roads open for 500 miles (until April or May)
That will be the tough part. (again, even with skis, 500 miles is too much food to carry)

That may be a tough part, but doing the Washington section of the PCT before August 1 is pratically impossible. The Washington Cascades are having heavy snow. The PCT won't melt out until August. To make his proposed time frame, he would need to do the Washington section by June. I don't believe it can be done.

TOW
12-26-2010, 07:54
He is just telling everyone this for the publicity from those who do not have a clue....

mweinstone
12-26-2010, 08:28
when chuck norris goes to sleep, he puts on matt weinstone pajamas

mweinstone
12-26-2010, 09:06
in a large country mix...

1 motivated sob
4 healthy trails
heckels and cheers to cover
bag o' food the size of bag o' tricks

hike until trauma x pirate x wolf23000 x lwolf x squeeky x google
skim off ms and searve proud on a bed of calluse

tips: add coconut monkey, wizzard or cannoe paddle for more heckel

gunner76
12-26-2010, 11:20
I hope he can pull it off. Many things have been accomplished by people whom were told it could not be done.

Regardless, it should make for interesting reading.

weary
12-26-2010, 11:29
I hope he can pull it off. Many things have been accomplished by people whom were told it could not be done.

Regardless, it should make for interesting reading.
Maybe. But every year about this time we are told about schemes that those of us who have been around trails for a bit, know cannot succeed. As near as I can tell, most don't even begin. Or end so quickly that the guy quietly fades away without a report.

There are probably others. I don't pay much attention. Because even if success is claimed it is only the claimant that knows for sure. But so far this season I've noticed a couple of "almost certain to fail" ideas.

Please let me know how they come out in case I'm not listening.

RGB
12-26-2010, 11:44
Is his hike improbable? absolutely if it was probable someone else would have already done it. Remember the 4 minute mile? I remember when it was said that it would never be done and now it is uncommon when it isn't.

HYOH
Best of Luck to all no matter what your dreams are.

Doc Mike

I'm simply replying to the question raised in the thread... Do I think he can do it? Absolutely not. The logistics, the weather, his experience...no.

Ultimately, my signature says it all.

Half Note
12-26-2010, 14:23
"It will be the first ever, attempt of the “All-In Trek"."

And how does he know this? Just because no one has posted it on a self-made site like a jackass doesn't mean it hasn't been done before. I'm amazed at how self-absorbed some people are. The funny part is, is that he hasn't done anything yet. It would make way more sense to do it after the fact, if successful.

But yeah, I'm in on that he won't make it.

neighbor dave
12-26-2010, 14:32
:-?it can be done, i already did it, i "aero" blazed it:rolleyes:

Turtle Feet
12-26-2010, 15:03

And how does he know this? Just because no one has posted it on a self-made site like a jackass doesn't mean it hasn't been done before. I'm amazed at how self-absorbed some people are. The funny part is, is that he hasn't done anything yet. It would make way more sense to do it after the fact, if successful.

Sam is not self-absorbed (no more than the rest of us), nor is he a "jackass". Sam is an acquaintence of mine - we met this past summer when I was trying to help him set up an income-stream during his hike.

Over the course of a few of conversations, personally (and I like you a bunch Sam), I would have to agree that this hike will not be finished in 365 days, but my impression is that Sam will keep going. Barring injury, I would say he'll finish the hike - but most probably not in 365 days. I would consider even 18 months to finish an amazing feat!

Sam is a great guy and I think most of you here would be suprised to find him very likeable. Whether we think he can or can't is immaterial, he's going to try, and I think we should all applaud him for pursuing a goal. If you don't like the way he's going about setting accountability for himself - too bad. That's his thing, not yours.

Now let's just all hold hands and sing Kumbaya! :cool:

Half Note
12-26-2010, 15:38
Yeah, he just created a site saying "Look at me". He's not self-absorbed, I change my mind about him.

It's cool that he has put PayPal up to give people the opportunity to just give him money.

DavidNH
12-26-2010, 18:23
Let me get this straight. You plan to hike the AT, the PCT the Cont Divide AND the North Woods Trail all in one year, consecutively and with NO time off?

No way. I will also vote very heavily against your accomplishing this.

Also, how could attempting this possibly be fun? you're going to be doing 30-40 mile days rain or shine every single day. Man an experience like this would turn me off of hiking altogether and permanently too!

DavidNH

RGB
12-26-2010, 18:47
Yeah, he just created a site saying "Look at me". He's not self-absorbed, I change my mind about him.

It's cool that he has put PayPal up to give people the opportunity to just give him money.

I think I'm going to make a website about how I'm going to be the first person to walk across the Great Wall of China naked. I'll have PayPal up so, you know, people can donate to the cause.

karo
12-26-2010, 19:07
when chuck norris goes to sleep, he puts on matt weinstone pajamas
LOL, What a character!

Phreak
12-26-2010, 19:46
Also, how could attempting this possibly be fun?
To each his own. What you find miserable, others find challenging.

Half Note
12-26-2010, 20:11
I think I'm going to make a website about how I'm going to be the first person to walk across the Great Wall of China naked. I'll have PayPal up so, you know, people can donate to the cause.You had me at, "I think I'm going to make a website..."

Just name your price.

Lone Wolf
12-26-2010, 20:22
Let me get this straight. You plan to hike the AT, the PCT the Cont Divide AND the North Woods Trail all in one year, consecutively and with NO time off?

No way. I will also vote very heavily against your accomplishing this.

Also, how could attempting this possibly be fun? you're going to be doing 30-40 mile days rain or shine every single day. Man an experience like this would turn me off of hiking altogether and permanently too!

DavidNH

you damn realist you! you need to rejoice in his dream :cool:

Cabin Fever
12-26-2010, 20:25

That's a lot of mouth from someone with less than 50 posts and has not thru hiked the Trail yet. Granted I haven't either, but I have got enough miles in to speak my mind.

rickb
12-26-2010, 20:36
Would it be considered bad form to post a poll asking people how long they expect this trip to last, and the reason which will be given for the quest to be abandoned?

I am thinking this might violate terms of service, but I am not sure. Should replies be anonymous?

Perhaps we could create a pool, with the winner to take all? Or would that be tacky?

4eyedbuzzard
12-26-2010, 20:38
That's a lot of mouth from someone with less than 50 posts and has not thru hiked the Trail yet. Granted I haven't either, but I have got enough miles in to speak my mind.Hey Cabin, I'll put in the smilies Half Note left out (I'm thinkin' he didn't think they would be necessary)

It's cool that he has put PayPal up to give people the opportunity to just give him money. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Lone Wolf
12-26-2010, 20:40
Would it be considered bad form to post a poll asking people how long they expect this trip to last, and the reason which will be given for the quest to be abandoned?

I am thinking this might violate terms of service, but I am not sure. Should replies be anonymous?

Perhaps we people could create a pool, with the winner to take all? Or would that be tacky?

if i came on here or through a website and announced i would attempt some record i would expect feedback. good and bad. not tacky at all to create a pool. 3 weeks at the most

Sly
12-26-2010, 20:43
Barring injury, I would say he'll finish the hike - but most probably not in 365 days. I would consider even 18 months to finish an amazing feat!

Perhaps that's how he should have announced his hike to begin with. Whatever time it takes to hike the 4 trails will be a record and takes off any pressure to get through any section in a certain number of days.

4eyedbuzzard
12-26-2010, 20:45

Perhaps we could create a pool, with the winner to take all? Or would that be tacky?
TOS 2 states that members cannot "...posts that ridicule, belittle, taunt, mock, or assault the character of other members."

1) Is he a member? Not that it would be particularly good form to ridicule a non-member anyway, but . . .
2) As long as the poll isn't worded in an insulting manner, why wouldn't it be germane to the discussion? He has a public website devoted to his attempt at hiking (at least partly the entire AT) and raising money to do the same.

Sly
12-26-2010, 20:49
3 weeks at the most

Much longer if the dude is serious about completing all 4 and doesn't hold to a one year limit. Without the limit he could do it. Trauma hiked 10,000 miles in a year (ECT, PCT, CDT) with 26 days off.

rickb
12-26-2010, 20:51
TOS 2 states that members cannot "...posts that ridicule, belittle, taunt, mock, or assault the character of other members."

1) Is he a member? Not that it would be particularly good form to ridicule a non-member anyway, but . . .
2) As long as the poll isn't worded in an insulting manner, why wouldn't it be germane to the discussion? He has a public website devoted to his attempt at hiking (at least partly the entire AT) and raising money to do the same.

It might be simpler is we just had a three week over/under. If he made it a month, we could do another one?

As for the reason how about three choices: Unusual weather, sever sprain, or none given?

There should be a prize though.

You did say he was a non member, correct?

Lone Wolf
12-26-2010, 20:54
Much longer if the dude is serious about completing all 4 and doesn't hold to a one year limit. Without the limit he could do it. Trauma hiked 10,000 miles in a year (ECT, PCT, CDT) with 26 days off.

this kid has ZERO experience with long distance, multi-day, high mileage backpacking

Mongoose2
12-26-2010, 21:07
I think I'm going to make a website about how I'm going to be the first person to walk across the Great Wall of China naked. I'll have PayPal up so, you know, people can donate to the cause.

There's no way you'll make it across the wall.....I'll bet heavily against you!

WILLIAM HAYES
12-26-2010, 21:17
no point to it at all -the guy is wasting his time thinking about it
hillbilly

mweinstone
12-26-2010, 21:24
im all in with the kid. final answer.lets do this thing.

Mongoose2
12-26-2010, 21:28
Walking dude has very little experiance and he wants to hike the entire great wall naked??!! Not possible I say!!

Lone Wolf
12-26-2010, 21:31
There's no way you'll make it across the wall.....I'll bet heavily against you!

Walking dude has very little experiance and he wants to hike the entire great wall naked??!! Not possible I say!!

you're gettin' it

RITBlake
12-26-2010, 21:42
This is nothing more then a grand fantasy. Anyone who thinks otherwise is as foolish as the hiker and the route in question.

mweinstone
12-26-2010, 21:43
if he does it, he'll finish on springer. witch means he may go to damascus on the way home. witch means lwolf will meet him. witch means lwolf will buy him a beer at dots and then really open up to the dude. witch is something i might be tempted to bet against. but im all in with lwolf cryin and sobbin and shakin the guys hand and bein all humbled and needin a tissue. im all in with this. final answer.

Lone Wolf
12-26-2010, 21:46
if he does it, he'll finish on springer. witch means he may go to damascus on the way home. witch means lwolf will meet him. witch means lwolf will buy him a beer at dots and then really open up to the dude. witch is something i might be tempted to bet against. but im all in with lwolf cryin and sobbin and shakin the guys hand and bein all humbled and needin a tissue. im all in with this. final answer.

i bet against minnesotasmith and said if he made it to damascus i would buy him dinner. which i did. his goal was attainable

mweinstone
12-26-2010, 22:08
wolf sounds a little choked up when he mentions the sith.i bought the sith dinner when he finnished. twice! both times steaks, both nites at the white heart. i miss mini on the blaze. it aint right.

mweinstone
12-26-2010, 22:13
after i talk to luke on the phone, i always think of the woman who brought food to moses's mom and sister when they were lepers. i wish i could bring him back. he could give this dude trail numbers and snowfall charts till he was blue. he was like the library at alexandria of snowfall charts. hey,...ya gotta be somthin.my personal life goal is to be baltimore jack.

Half Note
12-26-2010, 23:52
That's a lot of mouth from someone with less than 50 posts and has not thru hiked the Trail yet. Granted I haven't either, but I have got enough miles in to speak my mind.LOL, what? I'm sorry my "mouth" has offended you. Curse me and my personal opinion!

Post count? So if I had more posts on WhiteBlaze my observations would be more valid?

I'm simply voicing that I feel that it is pretty arrogant post a site seemingly to gain praise but, not actually having done anything yet. And to top it off, asking for money in the process. But I guess I'm just not one for accolades. What's the hubbub?

That being said, I hope the guy DOES finish and has a safe hike. I could care less his time frame of doing so, it's going to be an awesome journey regardless.

It's not like I wished death upon him. Hike along.

The_Saint
12-26-2010, 23:59

So says the guy that hasn't done anything yet himself. We'll see how you do on the AT, Tough Guy.

Half Note
12-27-2010, 00:18
So says the guy that hasn't done anything yet himself. We'll see how you do on the AT, Tough Guy.
Oh Lord, well when you find me boasting about my potential thru-hike, feel free to talk.

P.S. - Give me money

Dogwood
12-27-2010, 01:35
I like Sam's vision and purpose statements at his website! I like BIG thinkers! I like that he is, at the very least, attempting to make his dreams and reality the same! Can't say that about everyone! I like that he is trying to inspire and motivate others to what's possible in the face of enormous challenges and going against the flood of Naysayers. Personally, I hope he makes it and comes on WB reminding all those that said he couldn't do it that he did it.

Even if it did take more than 12 months I would find it a GREAT hiking accomplishment! My question to Sam is, "why limit yourself to 1 yr? Isn't it enough to accomplish this feat in any length of time?" Wouldn't that motivate and inspire folks too, especially considering you hiked through at least one winter and with no experience and you hiked unsupported AND... AND...?"

It takes some good fortune(good weather, no injuries, never getting lost), tons of stamina, and solving a HUGE amount of logistical complexities to pull something like this off! I would think long distance hiking experience and familiarity with the trails would help too! Everyone I'm familiar with(Scott Williamson, Andrew Skurka, Francis Tapon, Trauma, etc) that set records or who acoomplish extraordinarly fast speed hikes does so with much planning, preparation, and have a good level of experience either in hiking or an activity related to hiking.

Now, do I think he totally understands what he's up against? - NO! 35 miles per day with zero long distance experience, no days off, no support, hiking in winter conditions trying to avg 35 mpd with route finding involved even if he did have snowshoes and/or skies - Could be HARD!

I often wondered about the details of how the Triple Crown was hiked in one calendar yr by the 3 that I know who have stated they have accomplished this task? I suspect, OFTEN, something is being left out of the details that made these feats possible!

I would think he could more gently ease into his 35 MPD(LOL!) if he leap frogged around, at least once, from trail to trail hiking the sections of the southern PCT and CDT, and possibly the AT, for example, where he could post BIG miles at the get-go where he had better weather and easier hiking rather than start a winter hike through the northern U.S. on the NCT?

beakerman
12-27-2010, 01:49

It does seem a bit pretentious but have you considered this is like one of those New Years Resolutions...we all make them but it seems to me the ones most folks keep are the ones they tell others about...

Maybe this guy put this together as additional motivation to at least start and maybe to keep moving on down the trail.

Like I said earlier I think everyone here is sticking on this one year thing...its a target but not the major goal. I read it as doing the set of trails consecutively and "non-stop"...with a secondary goal of finishing in a year.

I don't think he'll make it non-stop but I'm not busting his chops for it. I wish him all the luck and hope he proves most of the folks here wrong.

Lone Wolf
12-27-2010, 01:56
Like I said earlier I think everyone here is sticking on this one year thing...its a target but not the major goal. I read it as doing the set of trails consecutively and "non-stop"...with a secondary goal of finishing in a year.

this one year thing IS the major goal. read his statement

SassyWindsor
12-27-2010, 02:42
He would be lucky to hike the AT about 6 times in a row within a year. When you bunch the AT in with the tougher CDT and the other 2 trails you got the making of nothing more than a publicity stunt. Maybe he wants to get some free gear from manufacturers or something. I say he falls short by at least 25%, assuming he gives it a good try.

SassyWindsor
12-27-2010, 02:51
I do realize that the coordination of weather and actual hiking has to be done, so my reference to hiking the AT 6 times in a single year would be almost impossible due to weather and having to access Katahdin as well as going over the whites. But even if weather wasn't a problem, completely hiking the AT every 2 months for a total of 6 thru hikes in a year would be pretty amazing.

RGB
12-27-2010, 04:05

Hey, you have no idea how much experience I have at getting naked. ;)

RGB
12-27-2010, 04:13
That's a lot of mouth from someone with less than 50 posts and has not thru hiked the Trail yet. Granted I haven't either, but I have got enough miles in to speak my mind.

Well once I get my degree I'll walk up to Bill Gates, wave it in his face, and tell him he doesn't know jack ****. That'll show that uneducated drop-out moron.

Dogwood
12-27-2010, 11:39
Well once I get my degree I'll walk up to Bill Gates, wave it in his face, and tell him he doesn't know jack ****. That'll show that uneducated drop-out moron.

That's one of the most ignorant, condescending, and arrogant posts I've read in a long time.

Do you really think Bill Gates will be impressed with your college degree? Do you really think Bill Gates is an uneducated moron with no accomplishments that FAR FAR FAR supercede your college degree? Do you really believe Bill Gates doesn't know jack***?

I would have hoped that you learned in the college of life that you don't need to be condescending or debase others to have your own achievements be recognized.

weary
12-27-2010, 12:50
That's one of the most ignorant, condescending, and arrogant posts I've read in a long time.

Do you really think Bill Gates will be impressed with your college degree? Do you really think Bill Gates is an uneducated moron with no accomplishments that FAR FAR FAR supercede your college degree? Do you really believe Bill Gates doesn't know jack***?

I would have hoped that you learned in the college of life that you don't need to be condescending or debase others to have your own achievements be recognized.
Think irony

RGB
12-27-2010, 14:23

Hahahaha! You don't know what sarcasm is, do you. I was merely offering a metaphor to show how arrogant and condescending the person I quoted was in telling another whiteblazer that his opinion was as valuable as his post count. Read the entire post before flying off the handle and making a fool of yourself next time.

4eyedbuzzard
12-27-2010, 14:26
...Even if it did take more than 12 months I would find it a GREAT hiking accomplishment! My question to Sam is, "why limit yourself to 1 yr? Isn't it enough to accomplish this feat in any length of time?"

Absolutely. Besides, here at the ATC (All-in Trail Conservancy) we give equal recognition to thru-hikers and section hikers. You get the same 12,500 miler certificate and rocker patch whether you hike it in one year, or over 20 years, or even more. :rolleyes: :D

Big Dawg
12-27-2010, 15:29
I bet Sam would have a big laugh reading this thread.

chief
12-27-2010, 15:35
I bet Sam has a big laugh every time he gets a donation!

Lone Wolf
12-27-2010, 15:36

:):cool::sun:banana hahahaha

neighbor dave
12-27-2010, 15:45
it's jus' walkin':-?;)

Lone Wolf
12-27-2010, 15:46
it's jus' walkin':-?;)

and lots of it in a very short amount of time. IF......

Big Dawg
12-27-2010, 17:24

yeah,,,, & getting a donation from LW while reading this thread,,, now that would put him over the edge.:eek::D C'mon LW, throw him a dime,,, w/ a link to this thread.

I wonder which will last longer,,, his hike or this thread. My bet is on WB.

4eyedbuzzard
12-27-2010, 17:33
I wonder which will last longer,,, his hike or this thread. My bet is on WB.
We should change the name of the thread to, "There's no such thing as a Samuel H. Gardner." That would guaranty it.

kolokolo
12-27-2010, 18:46
I wish him the best of luck. That would be an amazing accomplishment.

George
12-27-2010, 18:50
I offer to double any donation made by LW - think my retirement is still safe?

Dogwood
12-27-2010, 18:55
WalkinDude, another post, no matter what you think your intention was, or how you wish to explain your post, that demonstrates how arrogant and condescending you can be!

rickb
12-27-2010, 19:02
This thread is just a repeat of the one started here, right?

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=59377&highlight=pistol+team

hobbs
12-27-2010, 19:12
This thread is just a repeat of the one started here, right?

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=59377&highlight=pistol+team
yes thats the tread thats started the topic.

I cant say if this guy will make it or not. I am doing my forst thru this spring on the AT. i make no judgement because I perfer noot to be judged. But if he makes it. Great,if he fails while trying. he just learned a big lesson.

the goat
12-29-2010, 11:03
i bet he makes it.

mweinstone
12-29-2010, 11:11
it can be done by the human body thats a fact. the spirit residing within is another story.lol.like, if your life depended on it, yeah you could do it. maby. but if you did do it id be worried your mind might be tweaked. its a mindbender and if this guy would just do a tripple crowner in say, 6 months, well id be less worried for his mind. gabeesh?

Turtle Feet
12-29-2010, 15:43
For all who care - you can follow his progress on Google Latitudes

http://www.theinitiativesite.com/media/google-latitude/

Run Sam, Run!

RGB
12-29-2010, 15:47
WalkinDude, another post, no matter what you think your intention was, or how you wish to explain your post, that demonstrates how arrogant and condescending you can be!

And how awesome I can be.

hobbs
12-29-2010, 15:57
Not to sound cynical at you but when I was your age we had young idealists sharpe with the witt. They all flunked out of the Military school I went to. Talked a big game like you do and came up short. For 2 reasons. one thought they were all that and wouldn't listen to the people who knew and were instructors. Second showed they couldn't think through a problem and come up with a viable solution. I think you have that issue! Just a thought.....:sun

weary
12-29-2010, 17:30
Hey, Dogwood, Walkin Dude is a kid having a bit of fun. Nothing he has posted warrants your animosity

Mongoose2
12-29-2010, 19:01

And no doubt smart and good lookin!

RGB
12-29-2010, 19:15
Not to sound cynical at you but when I was your age we had young idealists sharpe with the witt. They all flunked out of the Military school I went to. Talked a big game like you do and came up short. For 2 reasons. one thought they were all that and wouldn't listen to the people who knew and were instructors. Second showed they couldn't think through a problem and come up with a viable solution. I think you have that issue! Just a thought.....:sun

I can own up to being overtly sarcastic. Sometimes to the point of being completely misunderstood. This thread is a shining example. My fault.

What was the problem I was supposed to be solving again?

Sly
12-29-2010, 19:18
this kid has ZERO experience with long distance, multi-day, high mileage backpacking

So what, lots of people do the AT without ever backpacking beforehand. He hiked 60 miles in one day and lived in a snow cave over the winter, few could do that.

4eyedbuzzard
12-29-2010, 20:06
So what, lots of people do the AT without ever backpacking beforehand. He hiked 60 miles in one day and lived in a snow cave over the winter, few could do that.
Realistically though:
He holds no records for any single trail.
He has never thru-hiked any of the trails.
He has no experience with the terrain or conditions he'll experience on the PCT, CDT, or AT.
I think people might be more willing to take this seriously if he had a history and track record of some sort. Without that though, he's just another guy with a dream, a press release, and a hand out for donations.

Lone Wolf
12-29-2010, 22:50

whoopee! he ain't gonna make it

mweinstone
12-29-2010, 22:57
lwolfs mocking the mockers. and i agree with his mockings.mock on sir.

hes gonna make it cause we all know it. ha.

Lone Wolf
12-29-2010, 23:04
lwolfs mocking the mockers. and i agree with his mockings.mock on sir.

hes gonna make it cause we all know it. ha.

it can't be done unsupported in 365 days. period

hobbs
12-29-2010, 23:07
I can own up to being overtly sarcastic. Sometimes to the point of being completely misunderstood. This thread is a shining example. My fault.

What was the problem I was supposed to be solving again?

I have no idea walkin dude lost in the thread like everyone else is getting.It's all becomeing garbled.

mweinstone
12-29-2010, 23:46
heres how it can be done.
their is no nite
there is no day
you have no tent
you have no stove
there is no weather
there is no sick
there is no hurt
there is no rest
there is no zero
there is no town
theres you walking
you sleeping
and only going to town or stores for oats.

HiKen2011
12-29-2010, 23:50
heres how it can be done.
their is no nite
there is no day
you have no tent
you have no stove
there is no weather
there is no sick
there is no hurt
there is no rest
there is no zero
there is no town
theres you walking
you sleeping
and only going to town or stores for oats.

I love oats!!!!!!!

mweinstone
12-29-2010, 23:50
this threds almost etherial. whats that mean? not real? and how many times a day do we all go around usin big words we dont know? do presidents do it? anyway, oats. think about it man. oats may be the only way. think horse.become mr ed. feel the strings....lol!

4eyedbuzzard
12-29-2010, 23:52
Off your meds again Wilbur?

rickb
12-30-2010, 08:52
this one year thing IS the major goal. read his statement

Here is what I saw:

"This involves solo hiking the four longest hiking trails in the United States, back-to-back continuously without any time off. I hope to finish in one year but it is my ultimate goal to complete this trek continuously regardless of a time frame. The journey of the endeavor is most important to me."

neighbor dave
12-30-2010, 09:02
Realistically though:
He holds no records for any single trail.
He has never thru-hiked any of the trails.
He has no experience with the terrain or conditions he'll experience on the PCT, CDT, or AT.
I think people might be more willing to take this seriously if he had a history and track record of some sort. Without that though, he's just another guy with a dream, a press release, and a hand out for donations.

not for nuthin' but historically speakin' dating back to the beginning of time, i think that's how most adventurers started out.:sun

4eyedbuzzard
12-30-2010, 10:24
not for nuthin' but historically speakin' dating back to the beginning of time, i think that's how most adventurers started out.:sun
I disagree. Historically speaking, most adventurers in this and most other types of pursuit(s) have built upon years of experience.

neighbor dave
12-30-2010, 11:36
I disagree. Historically speaking, most adventurers in this and most other types of pursuit(s) have built upon years of experience.

i hear ya buzz,kinda along the lines of christopher columbus had some sailin' experience before he ventured out to discover the new world, but it's just walkin' and i think the guy probably has a few years of that under his belt. :sun
happy new year!!!

4eyedbuzzard
12-30-2010, 11:56
i hear ya buzz,kinda along the lines of christopher columbus had some sailin' experience before he ventured out to discover the new world, but it's just walkin' and i think the guy probably has a few years of that under his belt. :sun
happy new year!!!

Funny, I did think of Columbus and a few others as well. And you're right, it is just walking (well, fast walking with likely some running thrown in). But it's 12,500 miles of walking!

Wilson
12-30-2010, 12:00
When does he start?

Wilson
12-30-2010, 12:09
nevermind, starts saturday

Trillium
12-30-2010, 12:30
I've only read the first page and this 8th page so I don't know what was said on pages 2-7 but all the naysayers just confirm the negativity that a lot of critics say exists on this message board.

He said his 'goal' is 365 days but he will be ok w/ longer; he just wants to do a continuous hike of the 4 trails. So, what if it takes 2 years or 14 months like Sly mentioned; it will still be a personal achievement for him. I think that is something to be celebrated.

You Go Samuel! Best of luck!

the goat
12-30-2010, 13:06
I've only read the first page and this 8th page so I don't know what was said on pages 2-7 but all the naysayers just confirm the negativity that a lot of critics say exists on this message board.

debate over whether this feat is possible, isn't really negativity. not to mention there are quite a few here rooting for him (me included).

would life be any fun if everyone felt the same way and never disagreed?

differing viewpoints and variety are the spice of life.

Lone Wolf
12-30-2010, 13:24

just reality not negativity. he stated his goal was to set a record. i said it won't be done. just a fact :)

4eyedbuzzard
12-30-2010, 13:24

He said his 'goal' is 365 days but he will be ok w/ longer; he just wants to do a continuous hike of the 4 trails. So, what if it takes 2 years or 14 months like Sly mentioned; it will still be a personal achievement for him. I think that is something to be celebrated.

You Go Samuel! Best of luck!
Comments on the difficulty of what he states he wants to do doesn't equal negativity - just realism. Criticism is part of life, and comes with the territory, especially when people publicly invite it, which he did by publicly advertising his hike attempt and by soliciting donations and sponsors.

Not all things are possible simply because somebody wants or thinks they can achieve them, regardless of the Kumbaya mentality that has infected much of society.

neighbor dave
12-30-2010, 13:55
>>>Not all things are possible simply because somebody wants or thinks they can achieve them<<<<
i agree with buzzard.
some people make huge amounts of money stating what they think they can do, and then wind up not doing much of anything, i have no idea why we put up with it.:sun:D

Squeaky 2
12-30-2010, 16:05
I often wondered about the details of how the Triple Crown was hiked in one calendar yr by the 3 that I know who have stated they have accomplished this task? I suspect, OFTEN, something is being left out of the details that made these feats possible!

I would think he could more gently ease into his 35 MPD(LOL!) if he leap frogged around, at least once, from trail to trail hiking the sections of the southern PCT and CDT, and possibly the AT, for example, where he could post BIG miles at the get-go where he had better weather and easier hiking rather than start a winter hike through the northern U.S. on the NCT?

if you have any questions about the details of my hike then fire away.but dont sumise that i OFTEN leave things out. i stayed true to my goal with every footstep.

my goal was to make the hike as hard as possible and achieve my goal. to be honest i didnt rate the calendar triple crown as being hard, believe it or not thats why i started in May on the PCT to make it a challenge.

this guy has the same approach and i have had many emails with him on his trip and i am very confident this can be done.

to be honest had i hiked the CDT before hand i would have hiked the 3 trails in under 200 days. it cost alot of time with nav problems and had a knock on effect with a storm on the AT which cost a further 4 weeks!

my advice to sam was to hike the CDT as a prep but he had no time.

his lack of experience and long trail fitness is NOT a problem. it only takes about 4 weeks to get the trail fitness he will need in his legs. i had never used a map and compass, ice axe, crampons and had no winter or snow experience before my trip. sam has spent many months living in a snow cave so has enough winter experience.

as someone posted earlier it only takes 1 bad step out of 30 million to put a stop to his trip.

he will need alot of good fortune with weather, thats for sure, but he will only need to get to the PCT by mid to late june then he will have superb fitness and conditioning to make up the ground. I think the AT winter will be key.

all the best Sam:banana

Wilson
12-30-2010, 17:13
just reality not negativity. he stated his goal was to set a record. i said it won't be done. just a fact :)
If there's no current record for time, would'nt just completing them set the first record? Even if it took him 24 months. Or has someone already done them faster than say 24 (or whatever) months?

rickb
12-30-2010, 18:00
Wilson gets it. Not sure why everyone at Whiteblaze is so fixated on this guy completing his trip in 1 year. Here is what Sam posted in his intro:

I hope to finish in one year but it is my ultimate goal to complete this trek continuously regardless of a time frame.

mweinstone
12-30-2010, 18:08
i like the guy who keeps pointing out that one misstep and its over. that is funny.

one rattelsnake
one really beautiful woman
one asteroid
one rapture
one raptor
one panepidemic
one nuke
one lack of interest
one lack of energy
one gigantic blister
one gigantic tic
one of bozo's western kinfolk

and the number one thing that spells hike over according to the naysayers?.......

one caldera eruption.

Lone Wolf
12-30-2010, 18:16
Wilson gets it. Not sure why everyone at Whiteblaze is so fixated on this guy completing his trip in 1 year. Here is what Sam posted in his intro:

it's what's in the 3 sentences before that. why even say you're going for a record? is not the whole idea for the website to get donations and publicity? just go walkin' and not tell anybody and IF he makes it then brag

rickb
12-30-2010, 18:22
it's what's in the 3 sentences before that. why even say you're going for a record? is not the whole idea for the website to get donations and publicity? just go walkin' and not tell anybody and IF he makes it then brag

You mean this?

On January 1st of 2011, I will set out on a 12,500+ mile “All-In Trek” to establish a new record of unassisted ultra-light long-distance backpacking. It will be the first ever, attempt of the “All-In Trek”. This involves solo hiking the four longest hiking trails in the United States, back-to-back continuously without any time off. I hope to finish in one year but it is my ultimate goal to complete this trek continuously regardless of a time frame. The journey of the endeavor is most important to me.

Dogwood
12-30-2010, 20:16

I'll say it again, "I'm rooting for this guy!" Sounds like he is a dreamer but he has motivation and a lot of heart! Those attributes will be needed to sustain him! BUT, those who thru-hike the AT with NO previous long distance hiking experience typically take 4 months or longer - for 2200 miles - only a small part of the total duration and length of what Sam plans on doing. While living/staying in one place like a snow cave over winter points to this man's character it IS NOT the same as hiking in winter snow conditions attempting to stick to a 35 MPD schedule! I'm virtually assured he will have to hike in some snow or deal with snowy trails in NCT sections in places like NY, PA, OH, possibly MI(upper peninsula) and WS. Depending on timing he may encounter snow in the north on any one of the other trails too. This is going to effect daily mileage!, not to even count that he will have to hike during short hr days during winter meaning he will start hiking before sunrise and hike into the night after sunset in the dark during winter to attain 35 MPD(s)! BRR! In my mind, attempting a winter thru-hike of the NCT is a HUGE endeavor in itself! I think it wise, if he starts in Jan in NY on the NCT, that he be flexible enough, wise enough, and have deep enough pockets, that he can jump to another trail where faster and easier hiking conditions may exist OR ditch the 1 yr time frame!

In addition, since Sam is says he's attempting to avg 35 MPD, with NO days off, for 12 months STRAIGHT, UNSUPPORTED, he will have to actually avg MORE THAN 35 MPD to allow for the time spent getting into/out of resupply points, resupplying, regearing for changing conditions, and traveling between trails(buses, airlines, etc). It's my best guess that he will have to have several, maybe more than several, PLUS 35 MPD's to make up for time lost elsewhere, that I'm not so sure he's counted on. This just puts additional stress on these mutiple hikes/journeys and an already stressed body and mind!

I have noticed some people, who attempt speed or tight fixed timed schedule hikes, who are not familiar with LONG distance and LONG duration backpacking, NOT take into account the time it takes to do many necessary trail chores or things pertaining to hiking! Consequently, their calculated avg MPD are actually miscalculations that they find hard pressed to keep up with!

I'm sure Sam has dicussed this with others, but it's my thought if he hit the trail in hiking shape going summer UL knowing where he would resupply, or better yet having a mailed resupply box awaiting, he could meet his 35 MPD, and POSSIBLY GREATER, which, again, I think he will HAVE TO DO, if he hiked the New Mexico section of the CDT and the southern CA(Mojave Desert, up to Kennedy Meadows) section of the PCT during winter thereby eliminating some of the winter hiking farther north. THEN, after considering previous thought of multiple options, making the decision of where to continue next based on weather.

Another of my thoughts is, "how much money has this guy set aside for this series of treks?" How deep is he still in the raising money stage?

Squeaky 2, I'm glad to hear Sam has contacted you regarding this series of journeys. I did not mean to sound like I was impugning you integrity. There are details about how you did what you say you did that I would like to know. This thread isn't the place for that though. If I could I would like to PM you.

Although, negativity to Sam's goal is evident on this thread, I don't think it negative to rightly assess and plan for this extent of a journey and its challenges, actually a series of consecutive journeys and MANY challenges, whether it be accomplished in 1 yr or less or longer. Considering Sam did mention he would like to do it in 1 yr time frame he did leave himself open to comments about that goal. I do not see it wrong or negative that others point out what he's up against and offer their CONSTRUCTIVE criticism and possibly some solutions! I support him reaching his goal!

Go Sam Go!

Dogwood
12-30-2010, 20:27
LW, I get where you are coming from but if you carefully read what rickb posted the record that Sam alludes to is not about the 1 yr time frame of doing all these hikes it's the idea of hiking all 4 trails consecutively(back-to-back) without time off!

Personally, I don't know why he has to put the, "with no time off", I assume by that he means with no zeros, qualifier in there! Isn't it just hard enough to hike these 4 trails consecutively!

Blissful
12-30-2010, 23:07
Not sure on his equipment choice either - would not want to be caught dead in the north country of MI, etc with a neo air pad (!) and a zero degree bag. yikes

At least it will be interesting to follow - if he keeps the journal up that is

Captain Blue
12-31-2010, 00:22
Sam has changed his goal and his web site. He made a change to his original mission ...

His home page used to say "It is my goal to complete this trek in one calendar year."

Now it says "I hope to finish in one year but it is my ultimate goal to complete this trek continuously regardless of a time frame."

==>> check Google's cached pages for verification.

He must have realized his chances of achieving his original goal were slim to none at best. In case his web site changes again here is the original wording on the home page:

On January 1st of 2011, I will set out on a 12,500+ mile “All-In Trek” to establish a new record of unassisted ultra-light long-distance backpacking. It will be the first ever, attempt of the “All-In Trek”. This involves solo hiking the four longest hiking trails in the United States, back-to-back continuously without any time off. It is my goal to complete this trek in one calendar year.

RGB
12-31-2010, 00:30
The thing I'm not getting is why he wants to try to set a record when he hasn't even thru-hiked anything. You don't try to set a new mile record on your first run!

mweinstone
12-31-2010, 00:33
so what? he learned from this thread and used the info gathered. good move i say. he donst need flack.of all the limits ever pushed by people in all their endevors,not so many as you would think were pushed by anything other than ordinary folks with exstrodenary dreams.your focus determins your reality.

Colter
12-31-2010, 13:14
The thing I'm not getting is why he wants to try to set a record when he hasn't even thru-hiked anything. You don't try to set a new mile record on your first run!

To me that's the bottom line. He doesn't have enough time to learn on the trail with that kind of goal.

weary
12-31-2010, 13:49
Some records are easy to achieve. Just attempt something no one has ever attempted before, or particularly wants to do. No matter how far you get every step is a new record. I set a record once. I was with the first party to walk in winter through the middle of Baxter State Park, From Mattagamon on the north, to South Branch Ponds, Russell POnd, Roaring Brook and out at Toque POnd.. It wasn't much of a feat. None of us had done anything very exciting before or since. But the park had only opened to winter use a few years earlier and we were the first, as far as we know to make the attempt.

Probably several others may claim the same record. We didn't tell many people, so that who ever did the same walk in the future could also say the same, that they were first as far as they know.

Tinker
12-31-2010, 18:21
It's kinda like that with "who was the first thruhiker of the AT?" Almost universally, Earl Shaffer is considered to be the first, but there's a Boy Scout troop who claimed to do it first. Shaffer had the documentation, the troop did not.
Whatever the case may be, the burden of being the first is that the second may do it faster or better, whatever.
Eric Ryback was the first hiker to hike the AT, PCT, and CDT. He didn't do it in one season, however, and few people remember who he is.
Fame is fleeting.

rickb
12-31-2010, 18:26
Many thru hike attempts are very much a paint by number sort of thing.

No matter what happens, Sam's won't be.

That is something that should be celebrated, I think.

grumpypickle
12-31-2010, 19:20
This is pretty cool as a vision, but when you start to break down the realities, it is hard to imagine him being successful in a 1 year time frame. Yes, he has to average 35 MPD, but he will be in snowshoes carrying almost 40 pounds for the first 3 months with probably 9-10 hours of daylight to work with. I don't think he is doing 35 MPD under those conditions. Is he going to make it up on the PCT? the CDT? Maybe. But it still leaves him having to average 40 MPD on the AT. I am dubious. The point has been made before, clearly sounds like someone with little long distance experience.

hobbs
12-31-2010, 20:13
Lone wolf is right. look at the record for speed Ward Leanard set. ^) days on the AT. If it were todays it would be 37 miles aday to get that.
My point is Ward had the experiance and could do 37 days. This guy noone heard of saying he can do the whole U.S. On average 40 miles aday? How many X country biathletes around the world who held olympic medals in that sport and trained in this type of conditions never tried this? Your saying yeah their skiers big difference. I say no alot of them are backcountry backpackers also. If they wouldnt try it why is this guy the one? No this guy is dreaming. Ps Lone Wolf love to hear your tales when I hit damascus on my thru. Buy you a beer! For the tales.

fiddlehead
12-31-2010, 22:26
Eric Ryback was the first hiker to hike the AT, PCT, and CDT. He didn't do it in one season, however, and few people remember who he is.
Fame is fleeting.

Oh, I think many know who Eric Ryback is.

Sly
12-31-2010, 22:51

You don't? It's precisely what Earl Shaffer did by completing the 1st thru-hike.

HiKen2011
12-31-2010, 23:32
It'll be tough, maybe impossible like LW says, who know's. I wish him the best of luck, I'm pulling for him!!!!!!!!!!

HiKen2011

moytoy
01-01-2011, 07:20
Well today is the big day for him. I am going to watch his journal entry's and see how it's going. Does anybody know how he is going to keep his journal log updated?

Sly
01-01-2011, 11:32
Well today is the big day for him. I am going to watch his journal entry's and see how it's going. Does anybody know how he is going to keep his journal log updated?

apparently he's in NY, ready to start...

tweets...

Big day today. Can Hardly believe it's here. Couldn't be more stoked to get my walk on!
1 hour ago (http://twitter.com/#%21/SamuelHGardner/status/21204112066482176) via TweetDeck (http://www.tweetdeck.com/) Favorite (http://twitter.com/#) Retweet (http://twitter.com/#) Reply (http://twitter.com/#)

well we made it to New York! spending new years eve with the family. going out for breakfast than starting the trek mid morning!

12 hours ago (http://twitter.com/#%21/SamuelHGardner/status/21038765430546432) via web Favorite (http://twitter.com/#) Retweet (http://twitter.com/#) Reply (http://twitter.com/#)

Squeaky 2
01-01-2011, 14:44
This is pretty cool as a vision, but when you start to break down the realities, it is hard to imagine him being successful in a 1 year time frame. Yes, he has to average 35 MPD, but he will be in snowshoes carrying almost 40 pounds for the first 3 months with probably 9-10 hours of daylight to work with. I don't think he is doing 35 MPD under those conditions. Is he going to make it up on the PCT? the CDT? Maybe. But it still leaves him having to average 40 MPD on the AT. I am dubious. The point has been made before, clearly sounds like someone with little long distance experience.

thats true he will be snowshoeing for 3 months or so, so imagine the shape this guy will be in when the trails clear for summer. 40 + miles will be very doable and somewhat cruisey in the summer months.

getting to the PCT by june is also very doable. the PCT and CDT in sub 140 days is also very doable with the conditioning he will have. even with a tough winter 40 miles a day on the AT is also doable on most parts.

my AT leg i averaged about 37 mpd from hanover south inc alot of time lost resupplying. my average hiking day without resupply was very close to the current AT record. i remember alot of days hiking over 45 miles in deep snow, because of the conditioning i had from the 1,000's during the year.

physically its about getting conditioned on the first 4-8 weeks, after this physically he will be fine barring an injury. but its going to be a crazy mental battle the whole way!

i honestly believe this can be done. hitching into towns and the weather are out of sams control and he will need alot of good fortune here!

fiddlehead
01-01-2011, 17:10
thats true he will be snowshoeing for 3 months or so, so imagine the shape this guy will be in when the trails clear for summer. 40 + miles will be very doable and somewhat cruisey in the summer months.

getting to the PCT by june is also very doable. the PCT and CDT in sub 140 days is also very doable with the conditioning he will have. even with a tough winter 40 miles a day on the AT is also doable on most parts.

my AT leg i averaged about 37 mpd from hanover south inc alot of time lost resupplying. my average hiking day without resupply was very close to the current AT record. i remember alot of days hiking over 45 miles in deep snow, because of the conditioning i had from the 1,000's during the year.

physically its about getting conditioned on the first 4-8 weeks, after this physically he will be fine barring an injury. but its going to be a crazy mental battle the whole way!

i honestly believe this can be done. hitching into towns and the weather are out of sams control and he will need alot of good fortune here!

Huh? You appear to be saying the PCT, then CDT then AT can all be done in 6 or 7 months. (dpending on when in June he would start)
I don't see it.

Dogwood
01-01-2011, 17:23
OK I can't resist. Squeaky, did you hike each of the Triple Crown Trails in their entirety one at a time or did you leap frog around to find the best(fastest and easiest sections to hike on each of the trails) sections at a time? Do you recall what routes(official or some aternates, for example on the CDT, or the other trails) or how many miles of the CDT you hiked. I think it might be important to note these details because the miles hiked by CDT thru-hikers can vary wildly by several hundreds of miles(upto 600 miles) depending on CDT route! Did you ski or snowshoe any miles? What yr did you do this? Do you feel, in hindsight, that during the yr that you accomplished this feat you had agreeable/fortunate winter weather on the northern sections of the Triple Crown Trails? Did you do your series of hikes unsupported? without resupply drops? What previous hiking experience, if any, did you already posssess? What previous physical and/or mental conditioning did you possess prior to your trek? Did you hit the trail in hiking shape, for example? Did you go UL? What were your sustaining attributes? mindset? How did you get over the multidude of challenges? I think we all could learn something if you would be willing to share about these details!

Like you Squeaky, I DO NOT, no longer think, it amazing to complete thru-hikes, a series of thru-hikes, a super long duration or super milieage trek(Siberia, Brooks Range in Alaska, Andes, C to C, etc), or a Triple Crown in a calendar year. Not because these are not currently recognized as GREAT feats but because I think the human potential is still largely untapped which could make what now seems amazing/impossible to be tomorrow's customary/ordinary! Is not that precisely what Earl Schaffer did?

Thanks Squeaky

AND, YES, I ALSO HONESTLY BELIEVE SAM CAN ACCOMPLISH THE GOAL OF THRU-HIKING ALL THESE TRAILS CONSECUTIVELY! However, I would like to see him either definitely commit to a 1 yr time frame goal or abandon it entirely and go for a consecitive series of thru-hikes with no definite time frame. Either you are going for a 1 yr time frame or you are not(just the way I think)!

russb
01-01-2011, 17:31
While he will be snowshoeing while in the forest of the Adirondacks, the NCT is "far from complete" through New York as thr route through the adks has not been finalized. He will spend a lot of time on roads as he goes through the Adk and then connects with the Onondaga Trail (and the FLT). I wish I could see his exact route from Crowne Pt to Forestport. I figure he will be on roads for more than 50% of that section.

4eyedbuzzard
01-01-2011, 18:11
You don't? It's precisely what Earl Shaffer did by completing the 1st thru-hike.
Not really, though Earl did face a lot of criticism from ATC and others when he did it. It was called a stunt by many, and in some ways it was, but it turned out to be a positive for the trail and ATC.

Earl thrued in 124 days - call it 17 to 18 mpd. There was no existing record he was trying to beat and there were no time constraints other than possibly the onset of winter in ME.

This guy wants to hike all 4 trails back-to-back at 36 mpd - pretty much record pace for an unsupported hiker (and the guy that did that was very special - read into it what you want). That's a tall order. My best guess is that injury or weather will put an early end to completing it in a year and probably even back-to-back. Not trying to be mean, just realistic.

rickb
01-01-2011, 18:33
My best guess is that injury or weather will put an early end to completing it in a year and probably even back-to-back. Not trying to be mean, just realistic.

I agree that you are "probably" correct. Sam has taken on a huge challenge.

That said, it is really neat that he is giving this a shot, don't you think?

I can't figure why so many see the timetable as the most important part of this story. All hikes evolve over their course, and Sam's will too.

Some speed hikers may set things up so that they will quit just as soon as tit becomes apparent they won't finish according to a specific time table, but most seem to press for more sophisticated reasons, right?

The big story here is not at all about speed.

I will be interested in hearing how Sam does with the short days. That must b e frustrating when Trails may not be well marked, and frankly very dangerous on road walks. I hope that he has a reflective vest and bike lights or something like that.

There will be special challenges to the NCT this time of year to be sure.

I for one will be following Sam's progress with respect, no matter how this turns out. I bet he surprises a lot of people though.

rickb
01-01-2011, 18:35
Deleting a duplicate post

Sly
01-01-2011, 18:52
The big story here is not at all about speed.

I don't know if his original intention changed but it seemed like many, including myself, believed his timetable was one year. Without a timetable hanging over his head it increases his chances fivefold.

Sly
01-01-2011, 18:54
Not really, though Earl did face a lot of criticism from ATC and others when he did it. It was called a stunt by many, and in some ways it was, but it turned out to be a positive for the trail and ATC.

It's the exact same. Earl set out to do something that had never been done, which most thought impossible.

Dogwood
01-01-2011, 18:59
Russb, you just brought up another aspect/detail about doing a series of hikes like Sam is attempting or that hiking a Triple Crown in 1 yr like Squeaky did that I would ask. Was road walking involved because of closed sections of trail or bad weather? Road walking, in my mind, is MUCH easier, AND faster, than plodding along at high elevation in winter conditions in deep snow!(think Cascades(WA), Sierrras, and some parts of OR) on the PCT, or CDT(CO or MT or the Winds), or VT, the Whites, or ME on the AT. While the feat of road walking sections of trail is still GREAT kinda changes the details a bit from what might be preconceived as HIKING all 3 Triple Crown Trails in 1 yr. Again, not trying to impugne anyone's integrity or pass judgement on anyone, just would like to know some of the details.

Squeaky 2
01-01-2011, 19:23
OK I can't resist. Squeaky, did you hike each of the Triple Crown Trails in their entirety one at a time or did you leap frog around to find the best(fastest and easiest sections to hike on each of the trails) sections at a time? Do you recall what routes(official or some aternates, for example on the CDT, or the other trails) or how many miles of the CDT you hiked. I think it might be important to note these details because the miles hiked by CDT thru-hikers can vary wildly by several hundreds of miles(upto 600 miles) depending on CDT route! Did you ski or snowshoe any miles? What yr did you do this? Do you feel, in hindsight, that during the yr that you accomplished this feat you had agreeable/fortunate winter weather on the northern sections of the Triple Crown Trails? Did you do your series of hikes unsupported? without resupply drops? What previous hiking experience, if any, did you already posssess? What previous physical and/or mental conditioning did you possess prior to your trek? Did you hit the trail in hiking shape, for example? Did you go UL? What were your sustaining attributes? mindset? How did you get over the multidude of challenges? I think we all could learn something if you would be willing to share about these details!

Like you Squeaky, I DO NOT, no longer think, it amazing to complete thru-hikes, a series of thru-hikes, a super long duration or super milieage trek(Siberia, Brooks Range in Alaska, Andes, C to C, etc), or a Triple Crown in a calendar year. Not because these are not currently recognized as GREAT feats but because I think the human potential is still largely untapped which could make what now seems amazing/impossible to be tomorrow's customary/ordinary! Is not that precisely what Earl Schaffer did?

Thanks Squeaky

AND, YES, I ALSO HONESTLY BELIEVE SAM CAN ACCOMPLISH THE GOAL OF THRU-HIKING ALL THESE TRAILS CONSECUTIVELY! However, I would like to see him either definitely commit to a 1 yr time frame goal or abandon it entirely and go for a consecitive series of thru-hikes with no definite time frame. Either you are going for a 1 yr time frame or you are not(just the way I think)!

firstly fiddlehead as i said previously had i thrued the CDT before i would have done the 3 trails in under 200 days so i know for a fact it can be done. nav problems caused delays and left me in the middle of a massive nor'easter which cost me atleast 3 weeks.

nice questions dogwood and i hope not to cause a stir with my answers but i will answer them honestly.

i hiked each trail inits entirety before the next. to claim the calendar year TC its only fair and out of great respect for the trails that i had to overcome each obstacle no matter how tough. to jump around bad weather and snow is not what its truely about. the miles are easy, the weather and trail conditions are not. also by jumping around you dramatically increase the weather window and take the challenge away.
as i said before i thought the CTC was easy starting on the AT. thats why i started much later in the year on the PCT to make it tougher!

i was aware of the cut offs on the CDT and advised to take them to save countless miles and time. there was no way i even considered taking even one them. again it would have taken so much away from the challenge. to me they were other peoples excuses to take short cuts. also along route i found out that the trail misses the rocky mountain NP. i added this loop in aswell. it was a 25 mile loop or a 3 mile road walk into town. i dont get why people miss this out, one of the highlights of the CDT! Nean seems to think i hiked over 3,000 miles on my route. i would say it was close as the miles are defanately about 10% longer than what was on my maps.

i had to snow shoe the mahoosacs! damn that was tough. could write a book on that experience! for the sierras i postholed 600 miles or so averaging 25-30 miles for that section.

the weather i dont think could have been tougher. maybe more snow pack in oregan or washington but thats it! the sierras had record snow pack in some sections. montana had record heat wave when i went through. the 100 mile wilderness was totally flooded and i mean flooded! due to record rain fall. mount washington had 3 times its record snowfall for october in the first 2 weks of the month! 6 feet if i remember. 4 ft fell on me in one storm alone with 12 foot plus snow drifts. right in the mahoosacs of all places! the rest of the winter was very cold and alot of snow. more than normal, alot more! the smokies took 5 days alone! the weather was possibly as hard as it could have been, oh yeah the east coast had record hurricane season that fall aswell. there was alot more aswell!

i was unsupported and hitched into towns. i had very few maildrops and mainly shopped in grocery stores. alot of time was taken up in town, missing post offices and not getting hitches! that was hard to take as none of these is anything to do with hiking trails.

i thrued the AT and PCT before. i had never used an ice axe and crampons, map, compass, gps, snowshoes and learned it all on route! my first use of ice axe and crampons was free climbing straight over forrester pass!

i was in great shape starting. hod carrying as a day job and running 20 plus miles 3 times a week, many tough runs with heavy packs and wieghts, then 8 weeks full time training. i was not in shape, 120 miles in and i was nusring a bad knee. it wasnt until 1,000 miles in that i got my trail legs. after then physically i was strong although always seemed to have small niggles to get through. once the chips were down on the AT i had the conditioning to rise above it with all the previous miles.

my mid set was such that i was going to stand on that last white blaze no matter what before the end of the year! when times were tough and the weather bad i used to sing 'you'll never walk alone' at the top of my voice. i purposely took no music to make the mental side as tough as possible!

i may rattle on about the AT leg but it was harder than the other 2 ten fold! after taking over 4 weeks to do the first 300 miles i was left with leaving hanover on the 9th of november. i had to average 34 miles per day just to finish. i got there 3 days earlier. my averga was about 39 miles per day for the section to the start of the smokies. i lost alot of time resupplying, atleast a few days. taking out these day i was right on andrew thompsons current speed record. to put that in perspective he was fully supported in summer conditions, i was in winter unsupprted in a tough winter to boot! lots of snow, short daylight hours and carrying all my gear. my avergae was about 42-43 miles per day v's his 45.5 miles.
some joked and mocked my attempt to go for sub 40 days on the AT. but i think i can and will do it one day. also it would be deemed not possible to take andrews record unsupported, i also think its possible with my winter times

sam will have to commit every foot step to make this in one year. my only doubt is that he is not bothered if it doesnt. for me that is the only reason he will not do it in one year. you have to be committed to one goal and not be affraid of failing. he is capable but must commit 100% to the year goal to achieve it.

my goal was to know that it couldnt have been tougher and i made it. when i stood on that last white blaze i honestly looked back and felt it could not have been any harder!

Del Q
01-01-2011, 19:31
One thing for sure, when he wakes up every day it will be pretty clear what needs to get done. The math is against him for sure, having said that I like betting on underdogs, so with a 1% chance that is 100:1, or $100 to $10,000.

Maybe we should get an online gambling site to begin accepting bets on this one!

Dogwood
01-01-2011, 19:39
That was GREAT Squeaky! Thanks for letting us ALL know what's possible! I'm smiling from ear to ear right now!

Captain Blue
01-01-2011, 19:50
In Ohio the NCT follows the Buckeye Trail for a lot of its miles. From what I read recently hiking the Buckeye Trail involves road walking 55% of the time. Long distance hikers on the Buckeye Trail complain about getting lost. There are many faded, obscure and missing blazes along the way. Hiking the NCT/BT is a much different experience than hiking the AT. I suspect we will hear from Sam about getting lost and/or making wrong turns and this will slow him down.

Bronk
01-02-2011, 07:32
Seems to me he didn't do much planning or research if he didn't find out until he got there that the trailhead wasn't where he thought it was...one would think a minimum of planning for this kind of thing would be to talk to someone whom has thruhiked each of these trails and at least look at some maps and guidebooks...had he done that he would have known where the trail started. Its obvious from his first day that he has little idea what he is doing...course that may work to his advantage.

"Bite off more than you can chew, then chew it."
--Harry Truman

mweinstone
01-02-2011, 08:26
umm,...walking is learned very early. i bet hes good at it. and trails are easy to follow

4eyedbuzzard
01-02-2011, 09:02
From Sam's journal at http://www.theinitiativesite.com/journal/

"Only got in about 15 miles today because I didn’t start walking until 11:30am and the trail or lack of, turned me for a loop. Also found a hwy map at a gas station.
Hiked on the hwy until it got dark at 5. I didn’t feel safe walking on the road at night so I pulled off the road a little ways and set up camp. So how’s that for a first day? I think it’s funny now. Didn’t really think that before though. haha. Well it’s time to get some
food. Cheers!"

15 miles in 5.5 hrs.

2.72 mph road walking.

Can't find trail, afraid of road walk at night, unprepared (maps, nav info).

Todays weather is rain turning to snow, then colder. I hope his preparation, skills, and gear for staying dry and warm is better than his trip planning so far.

9 - 10 hours of daylight today. Be interesting to see how many hours of hiking he gets in.

Realistically though, as far as the one year timeframe, I'll go out on a limb and "call it" right now. TOD 5:00 pm, 1/1/11. This is pretty much over. I just hope he stays safe and enjoys his hike for however long he pursues it.

I know, I'm a doom and gloom naysayer. Go ahead, chastise me.

Lone Wolf
01-02-2011, 09:45
hmmmmmmm :)

neighbor dave
01-02-2011, 10:00
firstly fiddlehead as i said previously had i thrued the CDT before i would have done the 3 trails in under 200 days so i know for a fact it can be done. nav problems caused delays and left me in the middle of a massive nor'easter which cost me atleast 3 weeks.

nice questions dogwood and i hope not to cause a stir with my answers but i will answer them honestly.

i hiked each trail inits entirety before the next. to claim the calendar year TC its only fair and out of great respect for the trails that i had to overcome each obstacle no matter how tough. to jump around bad weather and snow is not what its truely about. the miles are easy, the weather and trail conditions are not. also by jumping around you dramatically increase the weather window and take the challenge away.
as i said before i thought the CTC was easy starting on the AT. thats why i started much later in the year on the PCT to make it tougher!

i was aware of the cut offs on the CDT and advised to take them to save countless miles and time. there was no way i even considered taking even one them. again it would have taken so much away from the challenge. to me they were other peoples excuses to take short cuts. also along route i found out that the trail misses the rocky mountain NP. i added this loop in aswell. it was a 25 mile loop or a 3 mile road walk into town. i dont get why people miss this out, one of the highlights of the CDT! Nean seems to think i hiked over 3,000 miles on my route. i would say it was close as the miles are defanately about 10% longer than what was on my maps.

i had to snow shoe the mahoosacs! damn that was tough. could write a book on that experience! for the sierras i postholed 600 miles or so averaging 25-30 miles for that section.

the weather i dont think could have been tougher. maybe more snow pack in oregan or washington but thats it! the sierras had record snow pack in some sections. montana had record heat wave when i went through. the 100 mile wilderness was totally flooded and i mean flooded! due to record rain fall. mount washington had 3 times its record snowfall for october in the first 2 weks of the month! 6 feet if i remember. 4 ft fell on me in one storm alone with 12 foot plus snow drifts. right in the mahoosacs of all places! the rest of the winter was very cold and alot of snow. more than normal, alot more! the smokies took 5 days alone! the weather was possibly as hard as it could have been, oh yeah the east coast had record hurricane season that fall aswell. there was alot more aswell!

i was unsupported and hitched into towns. i had very few maildrops and mainly shopped in grocery stores. alot of time was taken up in town, missing post offices and not getting hitches! that was hard to take as none of these is anything to do with hiking trails.

i thrued the AT and PCT before. i had never used an ice axe and crampons, map, compass, gps, snowshoes and learned it all on route! my first use of ice axe and crampons was free climbing straight over forrester pass!

i was in great shape starting. hod carrying as a day job and running 20 plus miles 3 times a week, many tough runs with heavy packs and wieghts, then 8 weeks full time training. i was not in shape, 120 miles in and i was nusring a bad knee. it wasnt until 1,000 miles in that i got my trail legs. after then physically i was strong although always seemed to have small niggles to get through. once the chips were down on the AT i had the conditioning to rise above it with all the previous miles.

my mid set was such that i was going to stand on that last white blaze no matter what before the end of the year! when times were tough and the weather bad i used to sing 'you'll never walk alone' at the top of my voice. i purposely took no music to make the mental side as tough as possible!

i may rattle on about the AT leg but it was harder than the other 2 ten fold! after taking over 4 weeks to do the first 300 miles i was left with leaving hanover on the 9th of november. i had to average 34 miles per day just to finish. i got there 3 days earlier. my averga was about 39 miles per day for the section to the start of the smokies. i lost alot of time resupplying, atleast a few days. taking out these day i was right on andrew thompsons current speed record. to put that in perspective he was fully supported in summer conditions, i was in winter unsupprted in a tough winter to boot! lots of snow, short daylight hours and carrying all my gear. my avergae was about 42-43 miles per day v's his 45.5 miles.
some joked and mocked my attempt to go for sub 40 days on the AT. but i think i can and will do it one day. also it would be deemed not possible to take andrews record unsupported, i also think its possible with my winter times

sam will have to commit every foot step to make this in one year. my only doubt is that he is not bothered if it doesnt. for me that is the only reason he will not do it in one year. you have to be committed to one goal and not be affraid of failing. he is capable but must commit 100% to the year goal to achieve it.

my goal was to know that it couldnt have been tougher and i made it. when i stood on that last white blaze i honestly looked back and felt it could not have been any harder!

perfect!
limey's are tougher than most

Lone Wolf
01-02-2011, 10:50
off to a bad start

4eyedbuzzard
01-02-2011, 11:05
off to a bad start

Last reported location (within 65 meters) at 8:45am via "Google Latitude-Find Samuel (http://www.theinitiativesite.com/media/google-latitude/)"

http://www.super8.com/Super8/Booking/branded/SE/images/03737_b1.jpg

Half Note
01-02-2011, 11:07
LOL, no way, are you serious?

4eyedbuzzard
01-02-2011, 11:18
LOL, no way, are you serious?
That's where the google locator (GPS / Cell triangulation) app on his cell puts him when it last updated at 8:45. Who knows. Maybe he turned off his cell or exited the app and was just walking by, or stopped for breakfast a McDonalds (there's one on the same corner).

His gear list says he is carrying no shelter other than a bivy. Pretty wet out last night and this morning. Wouldn't have been a fun night if you ask me. Probably would be nicer in a tent. Even nicer in a motel. I'm a sucker for that warm and dry crap though. Not saying I would or could do it or do better - mostly / entirely because I honestly have no desire to sleep in a bivy in the winter.

Skidsteer
01-02-2011, 11:18
That's gonna hurt his average. :D

rickb
01-02-2011, 11:24
Why would walking by a motel hurt his average? Road walking (as looks to be required in that stretch) is generally much faster that trail walking-- even when the trail is in perfect condition. These kinds of posts show that the critique of the 1-year time frame (which is clearly more important to people on this list than to the guy out on the elements walking the walk), is just a &quot;politically correct&quot; way of criticizing the entire endeavor. This kind of effort should not be mocked.

Lone Wolf
01-02-2011, 11:26
the entire endeavor won't last very long

4eyedbuzzard
01-02-2011, 11:41
Why would walking by a motel hurt his average? Road walking (as looks to be required in that stretch) is generally much faster that trail walking-- even when the trail is in perfect condition. These kinds of posts show that the critique of the 1-year time frame (which is clearly more important to people on this list than to the guy out on the elements walking the walk), is just a &quot;politically correct&quot; way of criticizing the entire endeavor. This kind of effort should not be mocked.
You really think he's on the move? :-?
I'm thinking maybe he bailed to the Super 8 last night - and I wouldn't blame him one bit. He's only got a bivy with no tent or tarp if his gear list is accurate. That's on the absurd side for winter in the north if you ask me, unless you plan a night out around some really fair weather. Last night he tweeted he was having trouble sleeping by the side of the road at around 8 pm. He only road walked 15 miles in 5 1/2 hours yesterday, averaging 2.72 mph while road walking. He ain't gonna hike faster on a trail. And if he wants to make miles, he's going to have to walk both trails and roads during the dark - half the NCT is on roads.

Lone Wolf
01-02-2011, 11:46
this "hike" is a half-hearted attempt. 15 miles on day 1 is piss poor

RGB
01-02-2011, 11:49

Though my posts have been on the critical side, I'm not mocking the effort itself. Just the people who have claimed that it is possible to do it in one year. The "anything's possible" people. The "I really have no clue how he's going to do it, but still think he can" people. They're about to learn the difference between fairy tales and reality, it seems, a lot quicker than I even expected.

Phreak
01-02-2011, 12:11
15 miles on day 1 is piss poorI'm all for this guy and his adventure but I have to agree 15 miles on day 1 is a joke.

4eyedbuzzard
01-02-2011, 13:57
Though my posts have been on the critical side, I'm not mocking the effort itself.

Nor am I. I know I couldn't do it. I know I would never attempt it. I also know that there are only perhaps a handful of experienced, proven hikers that could even have a chance at doing it. And he isn't experienced or proven.

Just the people who have claimed that it is possible to do it in one year. The "anything's possible" people. The "I really have no clue how he's going to do it, but still think he can" people. They're about to learn the difference between fairy tales and reality, it seems, a lot quicker than I even expected.

I think it might be "possible", as noted above. But, yeah, there's way too much belief in the notion of "anything's possible". 1) Not all things are possible. 2) Not all things that are possible are possible for all people.

Just because someone can dream it doesn't mean that they can do it - regardless of commitment level.

Phreak
01-02-2011, 14:10
Just because someone can dream it doesn't mean that they can do it - regardless of commitment level.
True, but at least he's giving it a shot. I give him credit for trying. I'm sure this will be a huge learning experience for him.

4eyedbuzzard
01-02-2011, 14:23
True, but at least he's giving it a shot. I give him credit for trying. I'm sure this will be a huge learning experience for him.

I think it's great he is trying it, challenging himself, etc. And no doubt he will learn a lot about both himself and others regardless of the outcome. But I think all the self-promotion, hype, soliciting, talk of future speaking engagements, etc. is pretty tasteless. Reeks of motivational blowhard stuff.

Hike first, talk later.

4eyedbuzzard
01-02-2011, 15:51
Latest update http://www.theinitiativesite.com/media/google-latitude/ at 2:30pm

Just south of Smith Bay on Eagle Lake. 6.7 miles from prior post at 8:45 am. 6.5 miles or so in the last 6 hours.

jersey joe
01-02-2011, 15:59
Fantastic post squeaky, it made for a good read.

Sly
01-02-2011, 17:31
along route i found out that the trail misses the rocky mountain NP. i added this loop in aswell. it was a 25 mile loop or a 3 mile road walk into town. i dont get why people miss this out, one of the highlights of the CDT!

For most, especially northbounders, it's a permitting problem unless you plan on hiking the entire loop in one day, like you did. I believe you're also supposed to get a bear cansiter if you overnight in the park. We got drunk in Grand Lake and called it close enough.

Phreak
01-02-2011, 18:43
Last reported location (within 65 meters) at 8:45am via "Google Latitude-Find Samuel (http://www.theinitiativesite.com/media/google-latitude/)"

http://www.super8.com/Super8/Booking/branded/SE/images/03737_b1.jpg

According to his latest post, he was at the McDonalds across the street from the Hotel 8. He's currently setting up camp outside a Post Office.

pistol p
01-02-2011, 19:09
Just caught on to this post...

I wish him luck. I know when I heard about Lichter hiking the 10,000 in one year (IAT, PCT, CDT), I was blown away. I believe that he was averaging 33mpd minus zeros. With this winter we are having, I would hate to be out in the upper midwest come Feb-March. With 2 days off a month, he'd have to go 35mpd. Looooong hours, slower speed.

Good luck, man.

-Pete

4eyedbuzzard
01-02-2011, 19:20
Current location per http://www.theinitiativesite.com/media/google-latitude/ approximately intersection of NY-74 and US-9 / I-87.
Approximate miles from 8:45 am this morning to 5:00 pm this afternoon: 17.5

17.5 miles / 8 hrs = 2.2 mph average road walking

Total miles to date (start point = NY-185 E/Bridge to VT) 32.5

From http://www.theinitiativesite.com/journal/

I talked to my friends matt and hannah back home. They are my support team back on the home front. They figured out road walk directions for me get to some “honest to goodness” NCT trail. It’s about 120 miles away. Feels good to have a plan again. Not sure how long it’ll take me to get there.
Gotta find a post office sometime soon. Theres a few pieces of gear I’d like to send home to lighten the load.

Wow :eek: Sucks when you don't even know where or what the trail you're hiking on is. He probably should have looked into that beforehand. I kind of noticed on the internet that there really isn't any NCT through the 'Daks - it's more of a "work [not] in progress". I thought he was an Eagle Scout, be prepared and all that. Has a B.S. in Geology. Somethings missing though. Maybe common sense and a firm grasp on reality?

Squeaky 2
01-02-2011, 19:29
Though my posts have been on the critical side, I'm not mocking the effort itself. Just the people who have claimed that it is possible to do it in one year. The "anything's possible" people. The "I really have no clue how he's going to do it, but still think he can" people. They're about to learn the difference between fairy tales and reality, it seems, a lot quicker than I even expected.

it is doaable but it doesnt leave much to chance. looking back and knowing that you only get stronger on these trips, the PCT, CDT and AT are very much doable in sub 180/200 days with the intense training the NCT will give him.

shocked to read he is only carrying a bivy! is this true? i used a mountain hardware tent that was under 2 lb and bomb proof!

got to get over the night road walking, not nice but roads are easy miles. should have some good flashing red bike lights on his pack to make him visible to cars etc.

give him a few weeks though, i was limping after 120 miles. the start is the toughest part until he gets his legs

Sly
01-02-2011, 19:31
Wow :eek: Sucks when you don't even know where or what the trail you're hiking on is. He probably should have looked into that beforehand. I kind of noticed on the internet that there really isn't any NCT through the 'Daks - it's more of a "work [not] in progress". I thought he was an Eagle Scout, be prepared and all that. Has a B.S. in Geology. Somethings missing though. Maybe common sense and a firm grasp on reality?

So what are you and LW going to be the naysayers all year long or, figure if you can produce enough negative energy he'll quit soon than later? :rolleyes:

Rocket Jones
01-02-2011, 19:35
What struck me was his statement that he's setting up for the night next to a post office so he can mail some gear home in the morning. He's going to burn a lot of morning waiting for the PO to open, when he could be making miles.

Also, he mentions his home support team feeding him directions. Wasn't this supposed to be an unsupported hike?

I wish him luck, but with the way this is rapidly and radically morphing away from his initial stated purpose to reality, well, he'll have taken one helluva long walk.

Skidsteer
01-02-2011, 19:36
According to his latest post, he was at the McDonalds across the street from the Hotel 8. He's currently setting up camp outside a Post Office.

Mapping it out looks like, at most, about 32 miles at the end of day 2? :-?

This is.....well nevermind.

Dogwood
01-02-2011, 19:36
For most, especially northbounders, it's a permitting problem unless you plan on hiking the entire loop in one day, like you did. I believe you're also supposed to get a bear cansiter if you overnight in the park. We got drunk in Grand Lake and called it close enough.

I totally agree with Squeaky on his Rocky Mountain Nat. Park. loop comments. Whether going SOBO or NOBO on the CDT this is part of the CDT AND, IT'S A NATIONAL PARK!!! It has some GREAT scenery and a cool alpine section too!!! Although I was on the CDT SOBO you hike right past the Backcountry Permit Office at RMNP going SOBO before you do the 23 mile loop so getting a permit is not so difficult at all. What I didn't like is that the NP makes you have a bear canister IF you camp along the loop, like you stated Sly. For those doing the loop in one day WITHOUT having to camp no bear canister is required.

I found it an ideal situation to hike on SOBO to the ShadowCliff Hostel(inexpensive, excellent view, GREAT People at a GREAT Hostel!) in Grand Lake and slackpack the 23 mile RMNP loop the next day. This is an ideal situation for a slackpack because the ShadowCliff Hostel is practically at the TH's for the RMNP loop.

Going NOBO on the CDT and doing the "official" CDT route through RMNP is only a SLIGHT hassle if you plan on camping and need to get a camping permit and bear canister. Even if a NOBO CDTer was to get a permit they could get one ahead of time by calling the Backcountry Office, and/or stopping by the BC Office to obtain a bear canister/permit. Getting to the BC Office from Grand Lake/ShadowCliff Hostel is an easy short hitch so it's REALLY NOT all that much of a hassle.

Having this gotta go go go gotta be somewhere else thru-hiker attutude that sometimes develops among thru-hikers and justifies a thru-hiker passing by the "official" and scenic CDT route THROUGH A NATIONAL PARK is just the kind of thing I seek to avoid! Damn Shame, IMO!! Makes me start to wonder what other short-cuts some CDT thru-hikers are justifying too!!!

Lone Wolf
01-02-2011, 19:48
So what are you and LW going to be the naysayers all year long or, figure if you can produce enough negative energy he'll quit soon than later? :rolleyes:

naysay all year? nah. he'll be home a lot sooner :cool:

Disney
01-02-2011, 19:58

I tend to agree. On such a time sensitive goal, early low miles make it impossible from the get go. His first miles are road miles, and if he's not making 30+ per day, he's sunk.

My guess is he will abandon the 1 year time and attempt simply to do all 4 consecutively. It's an impressive feat in and of itself.

BTW Squeaky, I had the good fortune to run into you at Miss Janet's in December of 2005 at your one hostel stop. I enjoyed your post very much and never got the chance to say congratulations. So Congratulations.

rickb
01-02-2011, 20:34
Regardless of what the WB nay sayers and paint by number hikers state regarding time limits, this is what Samuel H Gardner wrote before taking on the challenge:

I hope to finish in one year but it is my ultimate goal to complete this trek continuously regardless of a time frame. The journey of the endeavor is most important to me.

Seems to me, starting out with relatively short mileage gives his body a chance to adapt and will increase his long-term chances of getting farther down the trail(s).

Lone Wolf
01-02-2011, 20:38
Regardless of what the WB nay sayers and paint by number hikers state regarding time limits, this is what Samuel H Gardner wrote before taking on the challenge:

Seems to me, starting out with relatively short mileage gives his body a chance to adapt and will increase his long-term chances of getting farther down the trail(s).

he also stated in his first sentence he was starting out to set a record

4eyedbuzzard
01-02-2011, 20:43

Negative energy? Like anti-particles and Hawking radiation? Nah.

Here's the skinny. The man says he's gonna do something that most people think is pretty damn hard. He asks for support, puts up marketing, calls it "The All-in Hike". Ooooooh! Very impressive. Publishes a web site, and all that. Big dreams and big talk but as of yet, no big hike.

He talked the talked. Now he's faced with the walk the walk part. To do that he's gotta be moving dawn to dusk and then some, and running - not walking when he's got pavement under his feet, cause he ain't gonna be near as fast on trails. Hell, I'm twice his age and injured and I can road walk 17 mpd. He's realistically gotta do 2 to 3 times that per day on roads when in a good weather window, which he has for the next week or so.

So far he's all he's doing is a Dolly Parton hike - Hikin' 9 to 5. I'm figuring we'll get his two-weeks notice pretty soon. First good winter storm. I just honestly hope he doesn't get hurt or in trouble.

rickb
01-02-2011, 20:43

Correct. But not time dependent.

On January 1st of 2011, I will set out on a 12,500+ mile “All-In Trek” to establish a new record of unassisted ultra-light long-distance backpacking. It will be the first ever, attempt of the “All-In Trek”. This involves solo hiking the four longest hiking trails in the United States, back-to-back continuously without any time off.

Lone Wolf
01-02-2011, 20:46
Correct. But not time dependent.

whatever. this "hike" will come to an end sooner than later. just a fact

Skidsteer
01-02-2011, 20:59

"I hope to finish in one year but it is my ultimate goal to complete this trek continuously regardless of a time frame. The journey of the endeavor is most important to me."

Nope. He changed it. His original statement was:

On January 1st of 2011, I will set out on a 12,500+ mile “All-In Trek” to establish a new record of unassisted ultra-light long-distance backpacking. It will be the first ever, attempt of the “All-In Trek”. This involves solo hiking the four longest hiking trails in the United States, back-to-back continuously without any time off. It is my goal to complete this trek in one calendar year.

Hell, I'm twice his age and injured and I can road walk 17 mpd. He's realistically gotta do 2 to 3 times that per day on roads when in a good weather window, which he has for the next week or so.

Exactly. He's doing what many weekend hikers do for fun.

Dogwood
01-02-2011, 21:02

Not that I totally disagree with you LW, but like I previously posted, and will repost, the record I think Sam is allluding to is doing these 4 trails consecutively, which to my knowledge has never been done before, which would make it a first time event and RECORD, NOT THE RECORD OF DOING ALL 4 TRAILS IN 1 YR, which after carefully reading and rereading his goal statements should be clear!

vamelungeon
01-02-2011, 21:23
At least he's not sitting on his butt on a couch typing on a laptop in some internet forum like I am right now.

RITBlake
01-02-2011, 21:49
15 miles on day one tells you everything you need to know about the hiker and his hike. Unprepared and inexperienced. A very bad combination given the route/timeline ahead. That's not negativity people, that's reality.

He's fresh. He should beasting these road walks. Not prepared to hike after 5 pm on the roads? Gimme a break.

RITBlake
01-03-2011, 01:20
This vaguely reminds me of the two kids calling themselves the "Trail Heroes" who gathered a lot of attention around here but quit on just day three of their sobo thru hike.

http://www.trailheroes.com/basecamp/basecamp.html
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=50257

Made it three days. Lots of left over Powerbars. Thanks for playing.
http://trailheroes.com/paulscorner/paulscorner/paulscorner/atprep_files/page30-1002-full.jpg

RITBlake
01-03-2011, 01:28
One more good one:
http://gojoe.net/
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=49137

Sly
01-03-2011, 01:48
Having this gotta go go go gotta be somewhere else thru-hiker attutude that sometimes develops among thru-hikers and justifies a thru-hiker passing by the "official" and scenic CDT route THROUGH A NATIONAL PARK is just the kind of thing I seek to avoid! Damn Shame, IMO!! Makes me start to wonder what other short-cuts some CDT thru-hikers are justifying too!!!

Until you thru-hike the CDT you have no room to talk. Some of the "official" trail clearly sucks, especially when it's waterless, not scenic or new and routed to nowhere. And nobody needs to justify their hike to you or anybody else. There is no such thing as "official" trail purity on the CDT. Don't try and start it from behind your ****ing keyboard.

RGB
01-03-2011, 02:00
15 miles on day one tells you everything you need to know about the hiker and his hike. Unprepared and inexperienced. A very bad combination given the route/timeline ahead. That's not negativity people, that's reality.

He's fresh. He should beasting these road walks. Not prepared to hike after 5 pm on the roads? Gimme a break.

After reading the updates, I'm honestly worried he might get hurt out there in the snow. Bad news if can't keep your bearings on the roads. What's he going to do when the trail is covered and he doesn't have a signal to call and ask his sister for directions?

hobbs
01-03-2011, 02:06
This vaguely reminds me of the two kids calling themselves the "Trail Heroes" who gathered a lot of attention around here but quit on just day three of their sobo thru hike.

http://www.trailheroes.com/basecamp/basecamp.html
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=50257

Made it three days. Lots of left over Powerbars. Thanks for playing.
http://trailheroes.com/paulscorner/paulscorner/paulscorner/atprep_files/page30-1002-full.jpg
Thank you for the Threads RITBLAKe.... What ever hapened to them and the other Go Joe individual? I think the saying. Dont say anything just do it speaks volums. Thanks for the stories

SassyWindsor
01-03-2011, 02:37
I can't believe the 15 mile start, nor the mailing of things back. Maybe a case of mouth overloading his assessment.:)

Sly
01-03-2011, 02:45
I'm all for this guy and his adventure but I have to agree 15 miles on day 1 is a joke.

this "hike" is a half-hearted attempt. 15 miles on day 1 is piss poor

naysay all year? nah. he'll be home a lot sooner :cool:

Negative energy? Like anti-particles and Hawking radiation? Nah.

Nah, negative energy, like negative waves...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuStsFW4EmQ&feature=related

RGB
01-03-2011, 02:49
I can't believe the 15 mile start, nor the mailing of things back. Maybe a case of mouth overloading his assessment.:)

That is a very eloquent way of putting it. :)

Dogwood
01-03-2011, 03:43
I think it's time for a nice hike Sly. I can recommend a loop in RMNP.

BTW, that RMNP loop IS generally recognized as the "official" CDT route AND IS scenic, IS NOT waterless, IS NOT new, and DOES obviously go somewhere!

You are absolutely correct that no one needs to justify THEIR hike to me or anyone else, BUT that doesn't stop people from trying quite often though!

Lone Wolf
01-03-2011, 05:12
Nah, negative energy, like negative waves...

positively reality waves is all

neighbor dave
01-03-2011, 07:56
12 pages of pure horseshiit

RGB
01-03-2011, 08:50
I don't know if this comment on his journal entry was intended to be as humorous as it is to me:

"Step One: Decide to take on a record-setting, 12,000 mile, year-long hike.
Step Two: Buy maps!"

neighbor dave
01-03-2011, 09:20
idjit
.................................................. .................................................

fiddlehead
01-03-2011, 09:53
Two words I had hoped I never would hear in the same sentence: "Official CDT"
There goes the neighborhood.

fiddlehead
01-03-2011, 09:55
Go Sam!
Some of us are behind you!

Lone Wolf
01-03-2011, 10:04
Some of us are behind you!

i'd be too if this were a serious attempt

4eyedbuzzard
01-03-2011, 11:40
CAUTION: NAYSAYER POST FOLLOWS: Content may not be suitable for all audiences. Those of a politically correct "Live your dreams regardless of whether they are realistic or not" mindset, should exercise extreme caution before proceeding - you'll just get aggravated.

Exerpts from a blog following an interview with Samuel H Gardner at cheaptents.com 4 months ago at http://blog.cheaptents.com/all-in-trek-samuel-gardner-interview/ (http://blog.cheaptents.com/all-in-trek-samuel-gardner-interview/)
The bold highlights are my editing for emphasis.

"I am not sure about what seems to be a flurry of grandiose projects undertaken by relatively inexperienced people. Would it not be worthy for this person to simply hike the AT once, like thousands of other people have found it worthwhile to do? And if that went well, the CDT? After thus honing his abilities, to then attempt what no one has tried before?

It seems publicity, fueled by grandiosity, is now becoming an essential part of the would-be adventurer's toolkit." - "Buzz" [no relation to me, 4eyed]

I find that I have much the same opinion. Self-promotion, public spectacle, reality shows, etc. are turning many of these endeavors into a self-promoted circus sideshow.

"I agree with Buzz that Samuel would benefit from doing at least one long-distance hike before he attempted this one. . . it's one thing to know the information, and it's another to know how to apply it and to tailor it to your specific situation -- and that can only take place during a thru-hike.

Hiking 34 miles a day is not that hard. Hiking 34 miles everyday for 12 months is very hard. The key is being efficient with all routines tasks (breaking camp, cooking dinner, resupplying, etc.) and putting in long days. This is where a previous hike can really help -- you become efficient and you develop deep strength that allows your body to put in 14-16 hr days continuously.

Hiking 34 miles per day in the peak summer with abundant daylight is easy. Hiking 34 miles per day with 10 hours of daylight, on snowshoes, is really, really hard.

I'm not one to say that someone can or cannot do something, but Samuel definitely has his work cut out for him.

. . . I admire anybody ambitious and bold enough to take on a challenge like this, but I'm a pragmatist and offer my thoughts/advice when it's sought or when I think it can help. I maintain the first 3 points in my first post: (1) Samuel would have a better chance of success if he had thru-hiking experience; (2) he'll need to become really efficient in routine tasks to maintain a consistently fast pace; and (3) he'll need to somehow overcome the slow winter months during some other point in the trip. I think it'd be tough to make a counter-argument to any of these points. Samuel also needs also to be super motivated, to start the trip in great shape, etc., but I'm assuming that's obvious to him and everyone else already." - Andrew Skurka

Ah, pshaw, what does this Skurka guy know anyway.

"Although I have yet to complete a traditional thru hike, I do have experience in backpacking and living outside. . .I too anticipate a steep learning curve.
. . . I have the experience to plan and achieve this. I already know I could do a single trail thru hike because I have spent multiple months continuously living out of pack in summer and winter months.
. . . Its public because people are interested in it... You are reading and writing about it. And Daniel's answers were correct. I simply cannot afford this trip on my own. I was laid off from the job that was supposed to fund it entirely. I have since picked up odd job construction work and sold literately everything I own. Including my truck, surfboards, road bike, mountain bike, climbing gear, old backpacking gear, cloths, snowboard, books, scuba gear, tv and the list goes on. I even pawned what I could not sell and scrapped my mineral collection at the junkyard. Simply, it is all gone. The only thing left for additional funding is more construction work and more sponsorship. I am willing do to both because that is what its going to take to go on this trip.

. . . I won’t be commenting further on this thread again because I have lots of preparation to do." - Samuel H Gardner

On Sam's website it says he quit his job. Here it's laid-off. Having experienced both, I seem to remember a distinct difference regarding the voluntary / involuntary nature of both. Couldn't fund the hike himself - how unusual. Never seen any unemployed hikers like that before :rolleyes:. He says 4 months ago that he had lots of preparation to do, but never even researched the condition (as in an uncompleted project) of the first trail he was hiking. It's pretty evident to anyone who can read that the NCT is at this point more a plan than a reality. It's a patchwork of existing trails, some new dedicated NCT trail, connecting "links", and LOTS of road walking. And the trail situation (lack of) through the Adirondacks is well known. But he is somehow caught unaware by all this on day one?

And so we have the great "All-in Trek". Sam's all-in - and holding 8,3 unsuited. Just waiting now for the flop.

Lyle
01-03-2011, 15:26
He says up front, he HOPES to do it in one year, the actual GOAL is to just do it. He left himself sufficient wiggle room there.

Skidsteer
01-03-2011, 15:35
He says up front, he HOPES to do it in one year, the actual GOAL is to just do it. He left himself sufficient wiggle room there.

Nope. He changed it recently. The original statement on his website was:

Wonder how all the people that donated based on the original goal feel about the change in mission?

jsstewar
01-03-2011, 15:43

This caught my eye immediately as well. Yes, he's starting off with wanting to complete a record, but if he doesn't that's okay with him and I respect that a lot. I agree with the naysayers about the publicity and grandiosity and apparent lack of experience harboring potentially grotesque miscalculations, but I'll tell you, this guy is good at selling his dream and I respect that also.

I would be overwhelmingly impressed if he does it at all, regardless of a time frame. And I support him for that, yeah it seems pretty flashy, pretty hyped up, but he's walking now. He apparently got what he needed to start, we'll have to see where this goes. I'm not holding my breath for a year, but I'll be excited to find out if he's still walking after I finish my first AT thru next year.

Lyle
01-03-2011, 15:49

So do a lot of the AT thru hikers.

Lone Wolf
01-03-2011, 15:54

most do low mile days and take lots of time off. 2000 miles in 6 months ain't the same as 12,500 in 12 months

Luddite
01-03-2011, 16:01

Yeah, and the odds are stacked against them.

RGB
01-03-2011, 17:30
I think some of us are just pissed that we didn't think of this first. Eureka! Why work hard and save up like the average person when I can hire someone to build a website, slap a PayPal button on it, and let gullible people fund my dreams for me? In return, I'll offer the promise of a goal that I will drastically alter just before the hike, you know, just to shake things up a bit. Oh and let me be clear that this money isn't going to charity. It's cold hard cash baby!:sun

You gotta admire that entrepreneurial spirit. A true American hero.