PDA

View Full Version : Parents letting me go

Chex Mix
12-22-2010, 13:37
I am 16 and am planning a thru for 2012, how can I convince my parents to let me go. A few days after I start I will turn 18.

Thanks

Lone Wolf
12-22-2010, 13:39
start 2 days after you turn 18

Luddite
12-22-2010, 13:43
A few days after I start I will turn 18.

Guess you won't need their permission then.

Croft
12-22-2010, 13:54
Find out what your parents' concerns are and address them. Perhaps a SPOT personal tracker would give them more peace of mind, if that's an issue; or finding a hiking partner so you wouldn't be alone. Or if they don't want you to take a break before college--well, figure out a compromise. Just depends on what they're worried about.

Carbo
12-22-2010, 13:55
Did you ask/tell your parents yet? You may be surprised by the answer.

If they already said no, ask them to go with you.

Hey, you can fight in a war, vote, and get married. Surely you should be able to go for a long walk.

jersey joe
12-22-2010, 14:02
Tell them you are thinking about joining the military and they'll beg you to go hiking?!?

thepitts
12-22-2010, 14:10
Howdy! Myself and a buddy of mine are heading SOBO right after we graduate our high school this year, so I know that logistics with parents concerning collage and safety can be rocky. My mother in particular is worried sick about me. Go with what Croft said, talk to your parental units, find out what they are worried about. We willl be bringing a SPOT device on our hike, in part to give our parents info. on where we are also to update other friends on our location. Keep gunning for approval, good luck!

Luddite
12-22-2010, 14:45
Tell them you are thinking about joining the military and they'll beg you to go hiking?!?

Yeah, tell 'em The Hurt Locker inspired you and you want to join an army bomb squad.

Monkeywrench
12-22-2010, 14:57
I met two 18 year olds on my 2009 thru-hike. One of them perhaps wasn't quite mature enough to be out on his own and made a bit of a pest of himself, the other impressed me greatly with her responsibility and self-sufficiency. Not all 18 year olds (or 58 year olds, for that matter) are equally mature. I guess you have to convince your parents you are one of the mature ones.

Blissful
12-22-2010, 15:02
Good to sit down and talk about it first. Maybe you won't need to convince. But I can say, going off to a college campus fresh out of HS is a lot worse. :)

TheChop
12-22-2010, 15:11
If all else fails I like the Army idea. Either that or get dead set on going to the most expensive private school that will accept you. ;)

skinewmexico
12-22-2010, 16:54
Spend the next 18 months being a model, responsible teenager.

Wilson
12-22-2010, 17:06
at 17, I enlisted into the army...at 18 you should be able to take a solo vacation.

wornoutboots
12-22-2010, 17:24
Research trail Jornals of others your age, email them for advice & when you find encouraging Trailjounals of others your age, forward them to your folks.

I also agree, hold yourself to higher standards & show a maturity level that your ready to take on this journey

tenn_hiker
12-22-2010, 17:42
i hope to do my thru hike in either 2012 or 2013.. it all depends on how everything goes..

johnnybgood
12-22-2010, 17:54
What concerns your parents most ? If its safety , the topic has been discussed often . Use the search function at the top. Also show your parents that you're prepared for this by being responsible at home .

Toolumpy
12-22-2010, 18:05
Legally at 17 they can't tell you what you can do but I'm sure you would like their blessing. Try to find some starting the same time then you can split.

Serial 07
12-22-2010, 18:06
the only "serial killer" that will be out there is me... :):):):banana

TheChop
12-22-2010, 18:07
I will be out there as well Serial. I slayed Cap'N Crunch yesterday.

Serial 07
12-22-2010, 18:09
seriously though, depending on what part of TN you are from, visiting you on the trail will be easy for the first couple of months...they can come and see that you are well taken care of and safe and by the time you make the turn around Harper's Ferry, you'll have their support...just come prepared, and with your head screwed on straight...

mountain squid
12-22-2010, 18:43
I am 16 and am planning a thru for 2012, how can I convince my parents to let me go. A few days after I start I will turn 18.

ThanksBring 'em on out some trail maintenance next yr. You'll get to do some trail work, meet the local maintainers (several of whom have hiked the entire trail, one of whom runs a very popular hostel on the trail), meet many hikers as they wander by and, in general, see the culture of the trail. Check out TEHCC (http://tehcc.org/).

Send me a PM if interested.

See you on the trail,
mt squid

LIhikers
12-22-2010, 20:24
Bring 'em on out some trail maintenance next yr. You'll get to do some trail work, meet the local maintainers (several of whom have hiked the entire trail, one of whom runs a very popular hostel on the trail), meet many hikers as they wander by and, in general, see the culture of the trail. Check out TEHCC (http://tehcc.org/).

Send me a PM if interested.

See you on the trail,
mt squid

While you've recieved plenty of good advice I think this is the best so far.
As a parent myself, I'd be more convinced by another adult, in the know about the ways of the Appalachian Trail, than by anything my sons would say. Also, try to get out for a hike of about 3 weeks this summer. That should be long enough for them to see that you can handle this situation but not so long that they feel like there's no end in sight.
Good luck and happy hiking!

niners
12-22-2010, 21:14
As a parent of an 18 year old doing the AT, I would be happy to talk to your
P's if you think it would help. Just PM me.

Press
12-22-2010, 21:15
Or maybe your parents are right and you are too young, the trail will still be there in a couple of years.

Trailweaver
12-23-2010, 03:02
I'm assuming that the parents are going to be asked to support this venture financially? It looks to me that you have two years to suck it up, get a job, save some funding, show some responsibility, and THEN ask them nicely if they will help you. If you are going to hike this trail, you are going to have to be mature, responsible, and smart. Start now.

Appalachian Tater
12-23-2010, 07:33
Once you have the money for your hike saved up, tell your mother you're trying to decide between a motorcycle and a thru-hike.

BradMT
12-26-2010, 01:20

Thanks

Good for you! Hope you follow through with your ambition.

A friend and I flew to Atlanta, hitchhiked to Springer Mountain, and hiked north on the AT all summer on our summer HS break. Covered around 700 miles in our limited time. That was 1977. I turned 16 YO on the GA/NC border.

My parents were pretty understanding...

TOW
12-26-2010, 07:50
seriously though, depending on what part of TN you are from, visiting you on the trail will be easy for the first couple of months...they can come and see that you are well taken care of and safe and by the time you make the turn around Harper's Ferry, you'll have their support...just come prepared, and with your head screwed on straight...
depending on what crowd he is hiking with he might be hammered if they see him....