PDA

View Full Version : Trekking Poles - Yes or No ?

JohnG10
12-22-2010, 13:54
I see trekking poles seem to be in vogue. Did you find trekking poles worth carrying, or were they one of the things you mailed home after awhile ?

I tried some out on a hike or two, and my impression was they were great for stream crossings, and areas with lots of rock that might otherwise trip you up occaisionally - but they didn't seem to make walking any easier on most of the trail and just became irritating.

So, are they worth carrying for a thru-hike ? The collapsible ones are significantly heavier than the short tent poles needed for tarptents...

Thanks.

ChinMusic
12-22-2010, 13:58
.... but they didn't seem to make walking any easier on most of the trail and just became irritating.

You answered your own question. If you don't find them useful don't take them. You can always change your mind once you start. Start without them and adjust as you see fit.

Most folks find them useful, but "most" is not 100%.

Lone Wolf
12-22-2010, 14:07
i don't think poles are useful at all

Carbo
12-22-2010, 14:10
At my age they did make a big difference, my knees don't hurt like they used to. They also saved me from quite a few falls, and yes they help crossing streams as well as going up really steep grades and ease the pounding on long down-hill parts. In the beginning my arms did ache a bit but as my upper body adapted all was ok.

TheChop
12-22-2010, 14:13
I find them exceedingly useful. I use them to get my upper body very involved in climbs and brace myself on descents.

But if you've used them twice now and don't see a benefit then they're probably not for you. There's certainly a technique to them and it takes a bit of practice but if you don't see the benefit then don't get them.

Finder57
12-22-2010, 14:14
John,

After checking with a few of my friends who've used them, I borrowed a pair for a 43 mile backpack on Isle Royale last June. I loved them, so I bought a pair of my own. I just finished a NOBO section hike of the Georgia A.T., coming off the trail on Dec. 2. I don't think I could've finished the hike in good physical shape without them. I'm 57, with good knees, but was still sore after descending Blood Mt., for example. The trail was constantly wet, and the poles helped me navigate slippery, rocky sections without falling. They work for me!

Blissful
12-22-2010, 15:07
Poles saved my hike by saving my knees and keeping me from numerous falls. I carry the ultralight Leki ones.

Reid
12-22-2010, 15:14
Different folks different strokes. I don't find them useful for me but some do. I just despise tents that are designed to use trekking poles.

ChinMusic
12-22-2010, 15:17
I just despise tents that are designed to use trekking poles.
Despise????

RevLee
12-22-2010, 15:52
Try them a few more times. They definitely help my knees and let me increase my speed on the ups and downs. They also saved me from multiple falls, especially in the snow.

I met several people this year who didn't start with poles, but had bought some by the time they reached Damascus.

Doc Mike
12-22-2010, 16:13
I just got new leki poles last night and had to go a 3 mile hike in 5-6 inches of snow. Loved them on the uphills especially. but had to problems
1. carpal tunnel in left hand started making my hand go numb after about 2 miles.
2. one of the wrist straps is very very hard to adjust it just doesn't pull through as easy as the other one.

Overall i love them especially on the climbs so i think the are worth carrying, but may just carry them on the flats to avoid the carpal tunnel thing.

doc Mike

Phreak
12-22-2010, 16:22
I use them when speed hiking/fastpacking but not when I'm doing low mileage days.

Boothill
12-22-2010, 16:24
i find my trekking poles almost invaluable, i have 2 bad ankles from way too many and sports injuries and my knees aren't exactly in great shape either, without the trekking poles i would have numerous sprained ankles and they take alot of pressure of my knees on downhill sections witch reduces the discomfort in my knees greatly

boot

Serial 07
12-22-2010, 16:29
i didn't use'em during my thru hike...now that i have a pair, i love'em and wouldn't imagine doing a thru without them...they are totally unnecessary for me, but i find that i move faster (they help me power up mountains and give me more control going down hill) when i have them...

Reid
12-22-2010, 16:41
Despise????

Well I like the designs sometimes but I don't want a big pole in the middle of my shelter like the shangri la 2 I had, and the 3 I had. I use a nice MSR one man tube shelter right now.

maybe clem
12-22-2010, 16:52
I didn't start my thru with poles but I sure ended with them. Aside from rocks and stream crossings they're handy for things like moving branches and critters off the trail, retrieving dropped items that have rolled off the trail and a little downhill, getting down a bearbag, and some tents use them instead of tent poles, saving weight.

Firefighter503
12-22-2010, 17:24
Another vote here for trekking poles. 1000% more enjoyable at the end of the day for me. No pain at all on my knees (might also have something to do with the new boots).

fiddlehead
12-22-2010, 18:02
"In vogue" is the right word(s).
Not necessary but many do it for different reasons. (i'm not one of them though)
KISS

Rocket Jones
12-22-2010, 18:35
I just got new leki poles last night and had to go a 3 mile hike in 5-6 inches of snow. Loved them on the uphills especially. but had to problems
1. carpal tunnel in left hand started making my hand go numb after about 2 miles.
2. one of the wrist straps is very very hard to adjust it just doesn't pull through as easy as the other one.

Overall i love them especially on the climbs so i think the are worth carrying, but may just carry them on the flats to avoid the carpal tunnel thing.

doc Mike

If you get a chance, check out a pair of Pacer Poles. Instead of using the straps for leverage on your wrist, your hand is cradled in the grip which makes it much easier on the wrist.

They're not terribly common, but they're out there and worth looking into.

Slo-go'en
12-22-2010, 19:05
If your a youngster, you can get away without them. For us oldsters with lots of miles on our knees, they are a Godsend.

The only time I find them a pain and at times down right dangerous is going down steep, rocky trails here in NH and Maine. I toss the poles down the hill and grab onto trees and roots instead. That allows me to swing around and dance down the trail better.

finskie
12-22-2010, 19:10
Do a 20 miler here in Rocksylvania, and your knees and ankles will be thanking you for the poles.

Jack Tarlin
12-22-2010, 19:13
When I first started long-distance hiking, more than 15 years ago, I thought "trekking poles" were a ridiculous affectation, utterly goofy looking, and essentially a ridiculous way for small outdoor companies to convince people to purchase something they really could do quite well without.

Today, I would not consider hiking without them, period.

Lone Wolf
12-22-2010, 19:28
Do a 20 miler here in Rocksylvania, and your knees and ankles will be thanking you for the poles.

i've walked hundreds of miles in PA and my knees and ankles were fine without sticks :)

zeus307
12-22-2010, 19:48
Poles in my opinion are a must! They help you gain and keep you balance over rocks and rough and rocky terrain. They have saved me from falling several times!!! They are a must in my book!!

HIKE LONG AND PROSPER LIFE

rjjones
12-22-2010, 20:00
Love mine!Ups,downs,rocks,creek crossings and even on level ground they can be usefull to me.I was an old school single staff hiker and i'm glad i gave poles a try.And as a PA guy they help navigate all the small rocks.But i'm old and slow :D RJ

Wil
12-22-2010, 20:02
The key is to begin using poles before the knee degradation begins. I'm happy now to be mitigating the damage, but wish I had started using them when I "didn't need them."

BTW I hate trekking poles. They're klanky, noisy, they scar the terrain. I felt a lot freer and more natural without them: there's nothing like the unencumbered bouncy step of a healthy 30-40 year old hiker. Also, the backcountry would be far less cluttered if we ancients were force-retired to armchairs rather than still out there, our hiking lifetimes artificially prolonged by the poles.

Sassafras Lass
12-22-2010, 20:30
I see trekking poles seem to be in vogue. Did you find trekking poles worth carrying, or were they one of the things you mailed home after awhile ?

I tried some out on a hike or two, and my impression was they were great for stream crossings, and areas with lots of rock that might otherwise trip you up occaisionally - but they didn't seem to make walking any easier on most of the trail and just became irritating.

So, are they worth carrying for a thru-hike ? The collapsible ones are significantly heavier than the short tent poles needed for tarptents...

Thanks.

I do use them. Got them specifically for the AT and as soon as I used them in the Smokies I said, "Where have you been my whole life?!" They help when trekking severe grade, they help take some pounding off my knees, they turn my Double Rainbow TT into a free-standing shelter . . . I wouldn't give them up for anything.

gunner76
12-22-2010, 20:49
You can get a set at WallyWorld for about $20. If you don't like them you are not out any big bucks. I weigh 275 and have been using a set of them for a year now. My 21 year old son also uses a set when we hike.

Trailweaver
12-23-2010, 03:31
I only use one hiking stick, and think poles would be annoying to me. That stick has saved me from falling many times, and I'm grateful for it on every hike. The last hike I did went through an area that was totally overgrown with weeds - weeds waist high at least - and obscuring the trail completely. That stick came in mighty handy for separating the weeds to check for a snake. Have also used it to gently encourage a snake to move on off the trail. (I didn't use it - a hiking buddy did.)

Try the stick, or poles, and see how you do. My guess is you'll like it. If not, then just do your own thing. Expensive poles don't have to be your only option.

Torch09
12-23-2010, 06:24
I don't know what to do with my hands while i'm hiking if I don't have my poles. I sometimes use them like drumsticks when I'm rocking out to music or hold them out to my sides and pretend i'm flying. I trust them enough to use them to vault over blow downs and other obsticles. I consider the tents that utilize them to be one of the greatest innovations in modern backpacking.

Whenever I consider leaving them at home, I remember all the times they saved me from eating $#!t on the trail.

fehchet
12-23-2010, 07:46
"Hiking Sticks" as Miss Janet calls them are good for clearing cobwebs from the trail when I'm first down the trail in the morning (and I usually am). After clearing cobwebs for severl miles, it is always good to hear someone hiking from the other direction. That is unless they are short in stature. Hiking Sticks are also great fending off some unleashed pit bull attacking me in the "100 Mile Wilderness". I was able to keep the snarling and drooling mutt at bay until his "master" arrived with apologies and "never done that before" lies. Trouble is the dog attacked my Kiwi friends back down the trail. Their poles saved them too.

njordan2
12-23-2010, 09:36
Trekking poles are great. They help take some of the load off your legs and give you stability. Also, if you on an extended trip, they help keep your upper body in shape.

pistol p
12-25-2010, 12:26
I too, enjoy the benefits of using them. I've spent 15 years skateboarding, and 15 years standing on concrete floors at my job. Both of which have took a toll on my knees and feet. Not to mention, I am quite clumsy :)
They have saved me from falling many times on slick rocks, muddy downhills, and fording waterways. When I was hiking the Kalalau a couple years ago, they helped me knock down what must have been 100 spider webs from start to finish. Those things were big.

Ultimately, the choice is yours though. It could be a good idea to carry some with you. If you end up not needing them, you could either strap them to your pack(not a lot of weight), and see if you might want them later. Or, you could just send them home. In my opinion, it's just preventative maintenance.

Happy trekking, poles or not!

Tim51
12-25-2010, 13:13
This topic of poles-or-no seems will always be an ongoing debate. For myself, i went back and forth trying to decide......(yes, need poles!....no, poles are stupid!....sure ya poles!....no, i'll pick up a tree branch!) ....So, last week i bought some hiking poles at Wal-mart. They actually seem like decent poles, hard plastic handles of course....maybe they'll fall apart after about 10 feet, i dunno. I figure if it turns out i don't want or need them, then i'm out a whole $18.77

Doc Mike
12-30-2010, 10:29
I've had my poles for a little over a week and have 30 plus miles with them. The last 4 miles post holing in 10 inch snow. It took about 6-8 miles to get comfortable with them and on the last 4 miles in the snow they reallly make a difference. I would walk with them and without them and it was a big difference. road walking or flat no poles needed. Hills and slippery I highly recommend.

Doc Mike

horicon
12-30-2010, 10:37
Yes to the polls. You will need them in Pennasylvania.

Pony
12-30-2010, 18:49
[QUOTE=Slo-go'en;1082864]The only time I find them a pain and at times down right dangerous is going down steep, rocky trails here in NH and Maine.[QUOTE]

Ha. I took one look at Mahoosuc Notch and collapsed my poles and strapped them to my pack.

I would say if you are not sure, buy a pair of the Walmart cheapies. Carry them for at least a week, and if you don't like them, leave them in a hiker box.

10-K
12-30-2010, 19:00
Ha. I took one look at Mahoosuc Notch and collapsed my poles and strapped them to my pack.

Same for Kathadin and most of the Whites, especially the Presidentials.

Pioneer Spirit
12-30-2010, 19:04
I used a pair of $3 thrift store Metro ski poles on a couple of hikes and found myself carrying them in my hand quite a bit. I just about gave up using poles alltogether. It was just as easy to grab a stick somewhere along the way like we used to do decades ago.

They work best on steep downhills, for poking stuff and for spider webs. Use one to stick on the other side of logs across the trail in snake zones before sticking pink, fleshy legs over.

I use wal-mart sticks now but only take one along.

Indi
12-31-2010, 18:22
I've had knee issues in the past (sports injuries), so I can't imagine walking without them. They really do take an awful lot of the hard knocks and they usually save me a fall or two to boot (it's a great thing my parents didn't name me 'Grace.' I'd be a walking oxymoron). I understand there's a lot of people vehemently opposed to them, but I don't really understand the why to it... I wouldn't attempt anything like an AT thru without that extra help for my poor knees, myself! I guess if you have never been overweight or had previous knee injuries, though, then they might not be necessary...?

longroad853
12-31-2010, 23:22
Same with me, used mine for the very first time while snowshoeing and after 20 minutes or so my right hand started to go numb ! I thought it was the beginning of a heart attack ! I do find them very useful however but the carpel tunnel is a drag. I found clapping my hands together took care of the numbness.

HiKen2011
12-31-2010, 23:41
Yes.................

4eyedbuzzard
12-31-2010, 23:54
Hiked with a single staff for years - never without one. Going to try poles this year. Went showshoeing a couple of times last week. Starting to get the rhythm down. It's a bit like doing pole plants while skiing but without turning. I can see where they'll be a big advantage crossing streams, bog bridges, etc. We'll see.

Ironbelly
01-01-2011, 08:01
One thing that I have found to help allieviate the numbness that you can encounter, especially if you have carpal tunnel, is to properly use the straps on the trekking poles so that your not actually squeezing the pole grips very hard if at all. And to also lower the poles a little lower so that your arms are a little lower than parallel to help with circulation.

My right hand used to go numb all the time, and occassionally my left hand would too. Now that I do those two simple things I rarely if ever get the numbness. The only time I get it now is when I can really holding onto the pole grip during a tricky descent etc. ymmv

nitewalker
01-01-2011, 08:56
scientific evidence that poles help....

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/archive/index.php/t-62621.html