PDA

View Full Version : Why thru-hike?

jollyroger
12-22-2010, 14:10
My name is Jeff "Jolly Roger" Richardson. I did a NOBO in 2007. Now I am trying to finish my degree, and I need your help. In order to graduate, I must complete a survey-based research project. I am researching the reasons why peple attempt to walk 2,175 + miles, what we call a thru-hike. Below is a link to a survey I have made to find out some of the reasons thru-hikers offer for this. The survey is free, should not take 5 mins. to complete, and does not ask for any identifying information. It is for anyone who has, has attempted to, or is planning to thru-hike the A.T. The results found will be shared with the ATC, and other creditable trail resources.

If you decide to participate, please pass the link along to anyone else you know who has, or has attempted to thru-hike the A.T.
Thank you for your time,
JollyRoger

the link:
http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/PGHZPYT

BrianLe
12-22-2010, 15:43
The survey app froze on my, FWIW, on the second question --- I clicked on one of the radio buttons and it didn't "check", just no reaction. Then I clicked "prev" and it did go back to the previous screen, when I hit "next" to go back, now my questions were checked. Perhaps a browser issue; if there are requirements on specific browsers or browser settings, suggest you pass those along as I almost abandoned this.

You might also consider starting out asking if this is a first long distance trail or not, as I suspect that some answers will be different for someone who has hiked this or another long distance trail previously, and is answering in the context of the most recent one. The question of having hiked over 100 miles before doesn't really get it, thousands of miles in one go is qualitatively different than a section hike of just over 100 miles.

It was indeed a very short and quick survey. I'm quite a skeptic in general when it comes to such surveys, FWIW, believing that all too often that assumptions and biases built in to the questions, and to the interpretations of the answers, skew things such that the results gleaned are misleading, disproportionate, or sometimes just flat wrong. I hope that does not turn out to be the case with your project (but then, how would you know if it did ...).

Best of luck.

TheChop
12-22-2010, 15:48
The money's no good but I'm doing it for the women.

Luddite
12-22-2010, 15:52
I'm doing it so people think I'm cool and unique

Rocket Jones
12-22-2010, 15:53
Why did the chicken hike the AT? To get to the other end.

Don H
12-22-2010, 16:01
"... not because they are easy, but because they are hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, "

4shot
12-22-2010, 20:11

rain on your parade young man but people that know you won't think any more or less of you after your thru hike than they do know...i.e. the ones that love you now will continue to love you, the ones that that don't like you know will find no reason to change their minds simply because you have walked 2,170 miles or whatever. But go ahead and hike anyway.....it's an awesome experience to be sure whatever your reason.

Sassafras Lass
12-22-2010, 20:26

Me too. Afterwards I'm gonna go on Oprah and tell her how much I suffered and denied myself luxuries - maybe she'll spring for a house :p

4eyedbuzzard
12-22-2010, 21:03
"... not because they are easy, but because they are hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, "

Just a tad over the top? It's walking, not space travel.

Driver8
12-22-2010, 23:21
rain on your parade young man ...

Might want to get your sarcasm detector checked. ...

Driver8
12-22-2010, 23:22

Ahsk not what the Trail can do for you, ahsk rahther what you ... can do ... for the Trail. ...

10-K
12-22-2010, 23:27

That's one small step for mankind, one giant leap for the AT....

4shot
12-22-2010, 23:56
Might want to get your sarcasm detector checked. ...

Wasn't trying to be sarcastic although the guy i was replying to might have been.

Wil
12-23-2010, 00:14
I'm doing it so people think I'm cool and uniqueIt's the eternal dilemma (as long as we've had computer BBS's and the Internet anyway). Use a smiley and it ruins it for anybody with a nice sense of whimsy, but don't use the smiley and ...

I don't know if anyone here is old enough to remember Pat Paulson. Deadpan. Rolled me on the floor, but some people thought he was running for president.

4eyedbuzzard
12-23-2010, 00:25
It's the eternal dilemma (as long as we've had computer BBS's and the Internet anyway). Use a smiley and it ruins it for anybody with a nice sense of whimsy, but don't use the smiley and ...
As Pat would have said, "Picky, picky, picky"

I don't know if anyone here is old enough to remember Pat Paulson. Deadpan. Rolled me on the floor, but some people thought he was running for president.

I remember his "run(s)" for President on the Smothers Brothers (say goodnight Dick)

Pat Paulsen, "Just a common, ordinary, simple savior of America's destiny."

Wil
12-23-2010, 00:51
Pat Paulsen, "Just a common, ordinary, simple savior of America's destiny."Which, said with a laugh, would not be funny at all, just a little silly at best. But with the deadpan delivery, it was killer!

That, as you understand, is my point about the smiley. It's cheating for _that_ kind of humor. I just think you have to take the risk that some people might take you seriously and bristle just a bit. Puts a lot of responsibility on the writer to be funny enough (or cute or whimsical or snarky or whatever) so that most people will get it.

Obviously, if you call somebody an SOB, or in many other kinds of humorous writing, you clearly have to smiley, just like many comedians laugh or smile at their own jokes, or mug it up so nobody misses the point.

Storm
12-23-2010, 01:46
I'm going to retire and just can't face those first six months at home with the mrs.

Wil
12-23-2010, 02:15
I'm going to retire and just can't face those first six months at home with the mrs.Think about it.

I've spent time with several older through-couples over the years; I notice they got LOTS more offers of food from the overnight/3 day hikers than did individuals or younger couples!

I think the subtle psychology of it is: we know this old guy can't take care of you. Very Freudian and complex, but a successful strategy from what I saw.

fredmugs
12-23-2010, 08:13
I love how you guys can take any serious request and trivialize it to the point you sound like a bunch of 8 year olds squabbling over who gets to sit in the front seat.

You guys are awesome!

Oh wait - the website is called survey monkey - nevermind.

Don H
12-23-2010, 09:05

I bet a lot of the younger folks here think I made this up.

Many of us hike because it's a personal goal, and a huge one at that. Just as the above quote set a huge goal for our country. And also proved that when we set a goal and work for it we can accomplish it. It is within our power..

4eyedbuzzard
12-23-2010, 10:35
I bet a lot of the younger folks here think I made this up.
Probably a few, which is a bit sad, but understandable.

Many of us hike because it's a personal goal, and a huge one at that. Just as the above quote set a huge goal for our country. And also proved that when we set a goal and work for it we can accomplish it. It is within our power..
I was just ribbin' ya a bit. ;)

I'm just really grateful that neither you nor anyone else went with, "I have a dream..." :D

Chicken Feathers
12-25-2010, 16:00
I'm going to retire and just can't face those first six months at home with the mrs. Get your hiking boots on you will love it what a great experience. I am 65 and got to H F this year contacted lyme disease and had to exit but plan on going back in June can't wait.:banana:banana:banana

rapchizzle
12-27-2010, 15:57
well, besides not wanting to get a real job and grow up, I can't think of a great reason not to.

Colter
12-27-2010, 20:49
The survey isn't working for me. As I go down the list it unchecks some previous questions as I proceed. Presumably we are supposed to rate each factor's importance, right, and they are independent of each other?

soulslosher
12-27-2010, 21:30
The survey isn't working for me. As I go down the list it unchecks some previous questions as I proceed. Presumably we are supposed to rate each factor's importance, right, and they are independent of each other?

There can't be two or more "most influential"s and so on Place the topics on a scale of 1-5 and rate accordingly.

Colter
12-27-2010, 21:57
There can't be two or more "most influential"s and so on Place the topics on a scale of 1-5 and rate accordingly.

Thanks. That must be it.

DapperD
12-28-2010, 01:34
http://www.mysomeday.com/Upload/lulu/US30_JMO0234_M-FB~White-Blaze-Marks-Appalachian-Trail-White-Mountains-New-Hampshire-USA-Posters.jpgBecause it's fun, challenging, rewarding, beautiful and because it's there:sun