PDA

View Full Version : Hiking around Gettysburg

MattC
12-22-2010, 14:32
Has anyone ever hiked around gettysburg, or know about any trails near the town? I'd like to do a night hike when the weather gets nicer, and being a history major I have a list a places I would like to visit, and perhaps camp if thats available.

thanks!

ki0eh
12-22-2010, 14:42
Plenty of trails around the A.T. in Michaux State Forest just west and north of town. Here's some examples: http://www.midatlantichikes.com/pa.htm

the goat
12-22-2010, 14:42
i stealth camped on little round top one night. (i.e. just sleeping bag & pad, no tent)

plan on going up there after dark, there are some nice, flat boulders as you head down from the road/ trail access.

Jack Tarlin
12-22-2010, 15:01
The A.T. North of there is nicer than just South; I especially like Quarry Gap Shelter; some great secluded campsites very close to the shelter so you can camp, socialize with other folks, cook, etc., but still have a quiet place to yourself when it's lights out.

Blissful
12-22-2010, 15:05
i stealth camped on little round top one night. (i.e. just sleeping bag & pad, no tent)

plan on going up there after dark, there are some nice, flat boulders as you head down from the road/ trail access.

Wow always wondered what that would be like at night...
Not sure I could camp on ground like that where men fought and died. Just me. At Antietam I swear you can smell the gunpowder at the bridge.

the goat
12-22-2010, 15:30
Wow always wondered what that would be like at night...
Not sure I could camp on ground like that where men fought and died. Just me. At Antietam I swear you can smell the gunpowder at the bridge.

it was a pretty eerie feeling being perched up there all night.

i woke up to relieve myself in the middle of the night, and the statue of (general warren?) about gave me a heart attack.

waywardfool
12-22-2010, 15:44
Lots of folks walk up there. We've taken the Scouts up every few years, do a bus tour to get oriented, then spend a day walking. Walking across those fields gives you some sense of what they went thru, especially when we went in July (as was the battle). But...we got to wear shorts instead of wool. Puts it in perspective.

My wife and I went up there in early November a few years ago. Spent a couple of days riding bikes (bicycles) around the battlefield roads. It was during the week, great weather, and only saw a handful of cars each day.

Don H
12-22-2010, 16:10
If you want to hike the battlefield and learn a little of the history pick up the Gettysburg Heritage Trail Guide at the visitors center, it's about $2. It guides you on a 12 mile (I think) hike through all the interesting points on the battlefield.

finskie
12-22-2010, 22:20
I love the mention of www.midatlantichikes.com (http://www.midatlantichikes.com)... found this site 2 yrs or so ago and all my favorite non AT hikes come from this site. Great maps and trail guides, and no ridiculous member fee. nice call ki0eh.

jethro
12-23-2010, 00:14
Many, many moons ago I did this program as a Scout and I've been fond of Gettysburg ever since. Although it's day hikes, hopefully you'll find it useful: http://newbirthoffreedom.org/gettysburg-heritage-trails-program/