PDA

View Full Version : January - Any sections do-able?

bmwsmity
12-22-2010, 20:40
So it's been since September since my last section hike (80miles through GSMNP)... and I'm dying to get on the trail again since my business is closed in the winter.

I love winter camping... and my hammock setup is good down to about 20degrees..

Are there any sections of the trail that are more hospitable to winter backpacking? i.e. not as high elevation, therefore less snow, warmer overnight temps... or is it a pipe dream?

My next section would start at Standing Bear, up to Max Patch, and on towards VA... I can usually get out for 2 weeks at a time... I'd love to do 10-14 days sometime this winter...

Thanks for any input :)

Blissful
12-22-2010, 21:06
20 degree set-up in Jan? Doubtful unless you strike an Indian summer. I'd be patient and wait.

weary
12-22-2010, 21:50
20 degree set-up in Jan? Doubtful unless you strike an Indian summer. I'd be patient and wait.Hammocks provide great shelter. Just not in January. Buy. rent, or borrow a tent.

Cookerhiker
12-22-2010, 22:46
Since you've asked about "any section" of the Trail, I presume you're not hung up on resuming at Standing Bear but are open to other stretches further north.

I'd suggest looking at the Mid-Atlantic i.e. Maryland, PA, and NJ. That's not to say that it's necessarily much warmer or devoid of snow; you still have to check conditions. But the combination of lower elevations and plentiful access points i.e. road crossings makes this area a better bet than the higher elevations of the South. How about Harpers Ferry to Duncannon? 125 miles.

Again, check the conditions beforehand.

Kerosene
12-23-2010, 11:12
I'd also encourage you to consider the Mid-Atlantic states, as the temperatures and snowfall can be quite variable week-to-week. I really enjoy walking in 2-4" of snow.

DLANOIE
12-23-2010, 11:52
Hammocks provide great shelter. Just not in January. Buy. rent, or borrow a tent.

I would disagree. As long as you have the right setup winter camping in a hammock is totally doable. I have been camping with a hammock for eight years and most of my experience is in the winter.

So why not?

:D:D:D:D:D

Kerosene
12-23-2010, 15:43
Hammocking can work great in the winter...it's just that you have to ensure you bring sufficient top-and-bottom insulation and try to get out of the wind. If you tent, you need to have enough padding underneath you, plus a warm bag/quilt. Regardless of the shelter, you'll carry a lot more weight than you would for 3-season trips.

Perhaps there are other considerations, such as vapor barriers, as you dip below 0F, but I'm too old to be out in that type of cold anymore. ;)

bmwsmity
12-24-2010, 18:10
Thanks for the input...

I was also thinking about the Mid-Atlantic states for the same reason (hence my saying anywhere on the trail)

I'll have to look at the sections, but I may just bring my hammock and use it as a back-up plan, while relying on the shelters for my primary shelter... are shelters still relatively prevalent in the Mid-Atlantic?

125 miles sounds perfect...

I did 135 miles in March...the second day in we got 6+ inches of snow, so there were drifts waist-deep and many long miles of knee-deep snow... I had a hammock with me then and did just fine down to at least 20degrees...it may have even been colder up on Trey Mtn at 5k', 20mph winds, and snow :)

Also to note, I'm pretty resistant to cold...i prefer winter camping actually. I keep my house at 55-60 degrees.

I may still bring a tent instead (i have one, its just way heavier than my hammock)... I have a nice NeoAir sleeping pad, so I could do just about any temp with that setup I'm sure ( I have plenty of winter clothing, and a 15 degree down bag, and silk bag liner )

I'm thinkin that starting at Harpers' sounds good :) Thanks!

bmwsmity
12-24-2010, 18:13
Just checked the Thru-Hiker's companion... definitely plenty of shelters in that section...

My plans begin :D