PDA

View Full Version : Anybody hiking over the holidays?

10-K
12-23-2010, 08:45
Anyone going hiking over the holidays?

I'm hiking Davenport Gap (I-40/Waterville Rd) back to Erwin, leaving on the 26th.

I've only got 4 days and if there's significant snowfall between now and then I'll shorten as necessary, leaving from Hot Springs or Devil's Fork Gap instead.

Driver8
12-23-2010, 08:52
A local day-hike or two, then vacation to the GA/SC bottom lands. Will walk about there a lot, too. :)

jeremesh
12-23-2010, 08:55
Taking my brother-in-law and sister-in-law on a day hike but nothing major. hoping for some snow.

TheChop
12-23-2010, 09:01
Taking my brother-in-law and sister-in-law on a day hike but nothing major. hoping for some snow.

Doing a shakedown hike on the Foothills Trail but from Jan. 2-7. My hiking partner won't hike on Saturdays or I'd like to start the year on a trail.

10-K
12-23-2010, 09:35
Doing a shakedown hike on the Foothills Trail but from Jan. 2-7. My hiking partner won't hike on Saturdays or I'd like to start the year on a trail.

The Foothills Trail is a great hike, I bet you like it. Are you going to hike the whole trail? I hiked it west to east saving the big climb up Table Rock till last so my food bag would be empty. :)

Chuch
12-23-2010, 10:08
Its looking like VA is likely to get pounded with Snow over the weekend, so probably not. If it warms up next week, I will probably get out for a little local hike to try out a bunch of new Xmas gear here in Virginia Beach, Seashore State Park.

jeremesh
12-23-2010, 10:19
Its looking like VA is likely to get pounded with Snow over the weekend, so probably not. If it warms up next week, I will probably get out for a little local hike to try out a bunch of new Xmas gear here in Virginia Beach, Seashore State Park.

Sounds like Shenandoah could be a destination then :)

TheChop
12-23-2010, 10:25
The Foothills Trail is a great hike, I bet you like it. Are you going to hike the whole trail? I hiked it west to east saving the big climb up Table Rock till last so my food bag would be empty. :)

Yeah we're doing a thru hike. There's been some debate as to which way we'll hike it. On one hand you get the big hump over with first day. On the other way you have the hump when you're in the best shape and have the lightest loud. Honestly I think weather will decide. If it's really cold at the beginning we'll stay in the lowlands. If it's going to be "warm" in the beginning we'll hit the elevation.

10-K
12-23-2010, 10:31
Yeah we're doing a thru hike. There's been some debate as to which way we'll hike it. On one hand you get the big hump over with first day. On the other way you have the hump when you're in the best shape and have the lightest loud. Honestly I think weather will decide. If it's really cold at the beginning we'll stay in the lowlands. If it's going to be "warm" in the beginning we'll hit the elevation.

If you really wanted to you could do a food cache and hump it over Tablerock at the beginning with a lighter load. If you do start on the west end and hike towards Tablerock the first day is easy hiking.

One sigificant thing about this trail is that you won't need to carry much water - it's everywhere.. Great campsites all along the way too.

sbhikes
12-23-2010, 10:35
It's been raining an awful lot here and I think more is coming. We've had a foot of rain in the past couple of days. An inch an hour at some times. Not my favorite hiking weather. But if it clears well enough, I might find a trail with few creeks to cross and go. Or I might just day hike every day between Christmas and New Years.

chelko
12-23-2010, 10:51
I have reservations for Icewater Spring and LeConte in the Smokies for the 26th and 27th. I will be going with my two adult children and am looking forward to it. We have a plan B if 441 is closed due to ice and snow. We will go in at Deep creek and do a loop with Deep Creek, Sunkota ridge and Thomas Divide.

DLANOIE
12-23-2010, 11:04
Taking my huskie/german shepard with me on a quick day hike tomorrow. I'm climbing Old Blue Mnt starting from South Arm Rd. near Andover. I was clouded in at the sumitt during my thru and haven't been back since. Weather appears to be clear and sunny for Friday so I can't wait.

:banana:banana:banana:banana:banana:banana:banana: banana

Nizhoni
12-23-2010, 14:15
Going with two adults and my two boxers to finish up the GA trail and hiking into NC Dec 25-30. Looking foward to seeing a bit of snow ;-) Anyone else going to be in that area?

Lone Wolf
12-23-2010, 14:34

yeah back and forth to Quinceys for $1.50 beers

C-Stepper
12-23-2010, 16:27
Yay, a Smokies hike in the snow.

sbhikes
12-23-2010, 16:36
I had a brilliant idea! Death Valley! This is the best time of year to go. Maybe I will go there.

Driver8
12-23-2010, 18:28
I had a brilliant idea! Death Valley! This is the best time of year to go. Maybe I will go there.

Like! You most likely won't get flooded!

wornoutboots
12-23-2010, 18:32
yeah back and forth to Quinceys for $1.50 beers

Hey you could get in some good miles if you just went back n forth from Dots, get 1 beer, to Qunceys, get 1 beer, to Dots 1 beer to Quinceys 1beer & so on :)

emerald
12-23-2010, 20:19

Yes, alone, wherever the most interesting birds are expected to be hiding, whether or not it counts!:)

brian2o0o
12-23-2010, 22:18
Me and the wife will be in Franklin. Hope to do some day hikes and check out the new outfitter downtown if its open. Supposed to snow saturday, sunday, and monday!

hobbs
12-23-2010, 22:28
Plan on hitting Macfee's knob and couple other trails around here. but if it snows. I will have to bust out the snow shoes.

im lost
12-24-2010, 02:24
catawba area with my daughter , lil brother and his son cant wait

The Counselor
12-24-2010, 09:56
An overnight in the Sipsey Wilderness with two hiking buddies. IF I can get over this strep throat and if the cold doesn't cause two or more of us to wait for warmer weather.

10-K
12-24-2010, 10:57
Watching the weather - looks like a go from Davenport Gap which is good - I'd like to out more than a day or two. Lots and lots of exit points if anything goes wrong.

I need a nice long hike anyway.. my WB post count vs. miles hiked count is off the chain this past week.

camojack
12-24-2010, 14:07
I'll be hiking...in Hawaii. Mele Kalikimaka! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEvGKUXW0iI) :sun

The Solemates
12-24-2010, 14:14
it wouldnt be christmas without hiking! i cant remember a year when we didnt hike over the holidays.

wrongway_08
12-24-2010, 16:00
I wish. Stuck around the house. Rather be out stuck in the woods. You all have a great time, wish I was out there with you.

Best gift you can give, fresh air, scenery, stars, health and a cool breeze to top it all off!