PDA

View Full Version : Parking at Springer USFS 42

buckshot
12-23-2010, 10:45
Hello-
Been looking on here for a while. Nice place for good information.
1st time posting.

I am planning on walking north from Springer for 7-8 days some time in early/mid March. My wife is gonna pick me up at however far I get.
I do not want to take the approach trail. Are vehicles
left in the parking lot on FS 42 messed with very often? I realize it could happen anywhere anytime, but is it a habitual problem in that area?

thanks,
buckshot

max patch
12-23-2010, 13:10
The lot at Springer is considered safe. However, there has been the isolated instance of vandalism -- very rare -- but it is not 100% safe. I would leave my car there for a week and not worry about it.

However, if you want to be as close to 100% safe as possible you have a couple of alternatives. 1. Park at ASP and hike the approach, or, 2. Spend the nite at the Hiker Hostel in Dahlonega, leave your car there, and have them shuttle you to Springer. Leaving in March you'll need to firm up your dates and make a reservation.

Another option may be to use the services of Ron Havens motel in Hiawassee.

If you wife is coming from AL to pick you up it would probably be cheaper to pay Hiker Hostel or another shuttler to get you instead.

Its best to hike to your car but if you don't know how far you are going that is problematic.

buckshot
12-23-2010, 20:05
Appreciate it. I may end up using a shuttle but my wife and dad-in-law think it will be fun to come retrieve me?!

mmorgan
02-11-2011, 11:15
I read in the AT Guide book that there is a fee for parking in that lot. Does anyone know the fee?

max patch
02-11-2011, 12:49
I read in the AT Guide book that there is a fee for parking in that lot. Does anyone know the fee?

They stopped charging for parking at the usfs 42 lot around 5 years ago.

Sly
02-11-2011, 13:39

They stopped charging for parking at the usfs 42 lot around 5 years ago.

Imagine that... ;)

mmorgan
02-11-2011, 14:08
Just go to show how long I have been preparing for this! My guide book is 12th edition from 2004.

Trailweaver
02-12-2011, 04:46
You could still use the Hiker Hostel - have your wife and her father come there to spend the night the night before you are to be picked up and they could give her directions as to where to go to pick you up so they could do it. The HH isn't "just for hikers" - it's really a nice place.

I've never had a problem with parking in the USFS 42 lot, but for that length of time, I would leave a car at the HH.

Red Hat
02-12-2011, 11:39
Driving up 42 can be iffy in early March as it can be very icy/snowy and downright dangerous. That said, Josh from the Hiker Hostel, still drives up every morning, and hasn't had an accident yet, that I know of... I'd say, park at the Hiker Hostel and get the shuttle up.

hasapint
03-22-2011, 07:47
Can anyone recommend a GPS location for the parking lot on USFS 42?

peakbagger
03-22-2011, 08:13
With regards to a GPS location, whatever you do dont depend on the map files stored in a GPS to locate the parking lot. There are a lot of old forest service roads in the area and some may not be passable even though the GPS says they are. I found the Delorme map quides very usefull when I was sectioning in the area, but do not know when they were last updated. They did differentiate between closed roads and open roads, although soem of the "fords" (stream crossings with no bridges) took a bit of getting used to.

Montana Mac
03-22-2011, 08:36
Directions:

these are from the gatc website:

From GA Hwy. 52 in Cartecay (12.1 miles west of Amicalola Falls State Park or 7.4 miles east of Ellijay), turn north on Roy Road between Methodist Church and Stanley's Grocery and go 9.7 miles to end of road.
Turn right and go 2.2 miles to Mt. Pleasant Baptist Church (these are paved roads).
Turn right onto gravel USFS Road #42 and go 6.8 miles to the parking area on north side of road.
its a right turn onto roy road coming from afsp. should be no problems with the forest service rd

GPS from GoogleEarth

34 38' 15.38N 84 11' 42.69"W

hasapint
03-22-2011, 11:08
Thank you both so much!

Ladytrekker
03-22-2011, 11:28
Thank you both so much!

I am not sure how often they grade that road but when I was there last year you really needed an SUV or truck and if I remember correctly it took us about 45 minutes on a pretty pitted rocky dirt road to get to the Springer Mountain trailhead. I left my car at Neels Gap and was shuttled to Springer and then hiked back to my car. There were quite a few cars there and we ran into alot of other hikers not sure if I would leave my car there. But then again I left it at Neels not sure how safe that is other than my truck was untouched when I got back to it.

SouthMark
03-22-2011, 12:17
As for vandalism at that parking lot, Thanksgiving two years ago there was a blue car parked there with the keys and a sign in the window that the car had been abandoned. It would still run, CDs in the floor, title on the glove box and no one had messed with it. It was still there when I returned.