PDA

View Full Version : Dug up old gear: What to use, what to toss?

HopsnBarley
12-23-2010, 15:25
Hey all, first post here, a little background:

Did some backpacking back in the boy scouts and with my dad, usually one or two nights, sometimes three I think. Always in PA, sometimes in winter. Fast forward and now I'm 26, and I've got the itch to get back out there. I'm in the process of moving to an area with a really prime section of the MST that is perfect for weekend trips with 22 miles of trail, three shelters, and some water sources.

I'm back in PA for Christmas and I dug up our old gear. My dad's pack (L) is now perfect for me and my old pack (M) would do for my wife if she ever decides to join me, although I think once the temperature warms enough the bugs will be too bad for her.

The packs are in great shape. They are external frame and light enough. The straps are not the latest and greatest but they'll do for now. Pulling the gear out was a little safari in itself as there were some nice sized insects spending the winter in there and several remnants of old cocoons. I separated the packs from the frames and they are going round and round in the washer right now with cold water and a small amount of fragrance free detergent. I tossed the stuff sack in too. I plan to hang these to dry; let me know if you think it's ok to tumble dry maybe with no heat, or just dry them with heat. The frames and straps got a damp cloth wipe-down.

Ok, here is the more questionable stuff. Keep in mind this stuff has been jammed in the garage for about a decade.

I found a nice little stove and some fuel canisters. The stove is not ultralight and doesn't have a piezo starter but I'll gladly use it for now. The canisters are butane/propane mix and the stove is for the same. There is one partially full canister and two full ones. I'm thinking these should be perfectly good to use but I won't rely on them. In other words, I might take one old canister and one new canister on a trip, but not two old ones.

Two "self inflating" sleeping pads. These were stored (contrary to the instructions) in the rolled up, deflated, cinched down condition. I'm thinking the foam will never really recover, and they might not self inflate so great anymore. I wasn't going to throw them out yet but I'm betting that buying a new pad will be money well spent.

A sleeping bag that I haven't taken out of the sack to fully investigate yet. I'm leaning toward buying a new one. New ones are probably warmer, lighter, and more compact.

Pur hand pump water filter. I want the collective opinion on this one. Maybe a proper cleaning can give this a new life. Seems perfectly good to me, but if 10 years of storage has reduced its ability to give me safe drinking water, it isn't worth the risk.

A bottle of water purification tablets and a bottle of neutralizing tablets to accompany them. We carried these as a backup to the filter if it were to break or get lost or whatever. I'm inclined to throw these out and spend a few bucks on a new backup.

Rain covers look great, nothing wrong with those. Mess kit might get used, but freezer bag cooking seems pretty great to me so I'll probably just use a small pot for heating and an insulated mug. Ponchos are pretty heavy, we'll see about those. Headlamp is ancient, made me laugh.

HopsnBarley
12-23-2010, 15:28
Hah, ok not my first post, but my second.

skinewmexico
12-23-2010, 15:34
I woulnd't dry the packs in the dryer, they'll dry out fast enough by hanging. And while external frames aren't cool now, they work great and can be surprisingly light. You're probably dead on about the pads, although they might come back. I'd get a POE Ether Thermo 6 to replace them, although 99% of the people on this forum don't recognize any pad that isn't made by Thermarest. I'd probably replace the bag with down (GoLite was having a 40% off sale), and you might be able to get a new cartridge for the water filter. A stove is a stove to me.

mudhead
12-23-2010, 15:36
Two "self inflating" sleeping pads. These were stored (contrary to the instructions) in the rolled up, deflated, cinched down condition. I'm thinking the foam will never really recover, and they might not self inflate so great anymore. I wasn't going to throw them out yet but I'm betting that buying a new pad will be money well spent.

Take them out and blow them up. Probably car camping heavy, but leave them inflated to see if they leak. If you plan on just pitching them let me know what they are.

So you have to help it inflate. Might be ok...

HopsnBarley
12-23-2010, 15:38
I just took the pack out of the wash and they look good. Concur that hanging dry should be fine, they aren't too wet anyway.

I'll give those pads a chance.

HopsnBarley
12-23-2010, 17:12
The pads are responding nicely to being unpacked and warmed up, but my dad says he remembers that his slowly leaks overnight and isn't worth much for keeping warm. That one is a "Slumberjack" which has one twist valve at the corner. I didn't measure it but it is only long enough to go under roughly knees to head. The other is a "CampMat" pad. This one has three thinly padded inflatable chambers with a thinner one for the feet and a bonus inflatable pillow section with no padding. It also has built in straps. I want to say that it was the one I used and I have no memory of any of the chambers leaking. The chambered one seems nicer so I'll try it. I'll also weigh this stuff when I get home.

Toolshed
12-23-2010, 17:31
check those canisters.. if they are camping gaz/Bleuet, then you are likely SOOL for refills in the states. Coleman bought CZ around 15 years ago and they had a program back then where you could turn in your old CZ stove that took the old style canisters (Ones that didn't screw in, but were punctured when put on the stove, but then had to be left with the stove or the fuel would spray out and empty the canister).
The new stoves has screw on canister that worked great. CZ 270 and a CZ 5XX. However Coleman stopped making them around 10 years ago and now there is no product support in the states.
I still think one of Coleman's master plans was to buy it just to corner the CZ competition in the states.
If it isn't Camping gaz, then never mind.....:banana

Toolshed
12-23-2010, 17:34
On the sleeping pads, if the last person to use it did not let it dry out (normally storing inflated with the valve open takes care of this) and Assuming they used warm moist breathes to "help" inflate it, yo might find som mold or fungus inside there - It won't affect you, but it could eat at the PU coating inside the pad and casue a slow leak.