PDA

View Full Version : Georgia

tenn_hiker
12-23-2010, 16:02
Hey, im hoping to do a section hike of Georgia over spring break. I was wondering if someone could tell me the best plan to hike it. I have a ride to the trail head and and a ride when im done all i need to know is where i should get off the trail at and where i should hike to on what days..

Thanks,
tenn hiker :jump

flemdawg1
12-23-2010, 16:23
How many days? And what kinda shape are you in?

tenn_hiker
12-23-2010, 17:20
spring break is 9 days total but im thinking ill have around 7 days if i need more thats fine if i need less it doesnt really matter. and shape wise id say im in pretty good shape i work out 5 days a week and try to run or walk whenever i can.. -TH

Cookerhiker
12-23-2010, 17:20
Hey, im hoping to do a section hike of Georgia over spring break. I was wondering if someone could tell me the best plan to hike it. I have a ride to the trail head and and a ride when im done all i need to know is where i should get off the trail at and where i should hike to on what days..

Thanks,
tenn hiker :jump

Seem like a lot of interest in hiking Georgia has been expressed lately here on WB...

I"m sure you'll get some good responses here but meanwhile, check out this thread: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=67448

Cabin Fever
12-23-2010, 17:26
If you are in decent shape, you should have no problem hiking from Amicalola all the way to US 76 @ Dicks Creek Gap which would be around 75 miles. Georgia is tough, but not that tough.

tenn_hiker
12-23-2010, 18:05
If you are in decent shape, you should have no problem hiking from Amicalola all the way to US 76 @ Dicks Creek Gap which would be around 75 miles. Georgia is tough, but not that tough.
well im thinking i might go into NC just so i can do all of the georgia section.. dicks creeks gap is like 9 miles short of the border isnt it?

Seem like a lot of interest in hiking Georgia has been expressed lately here on WB...

I"m sure you'll get some good responses here but meanwhile, check out this thread: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=67448

Thanks that thread helped i cant wait to get on the trail... i cant wait the thru hike.. haha section hiking just isnt my thing id rather thru hike.. but i guess i gotta do what i can when i can.. thanks again for the help..

generoll
12-23-2010, 18:24
If your drop off and pick up are good then get dropped off at Springer and picked up at either Deep Gap or Standing Indian back country information kiosk.

tenn_hiker
12-23-2010, 21:33
i know im going to start at springer me and my dad are going to hike the aproach trail then when i start the actual a.t he is going to turn back.. i heard that in georgia you can camp any where.. is that true?

generoll
12-23-2010, 21:46
true. no designated campsites.

Cabin Fever
12-23-2010, 23:14
i know im going to start at springer me and my dad are going to hike the aproach trail then when i start the actual a.t he is going to turn back.. i heard that in georgia you can camp any where.. is that true?

Teach a man to fish moment...

For all of the Appalachian Trail (I think): If you are in a National Forest, you can camp anywhere. If you are in a National Park, you cannot. This covers a large portion of the Trail. State forests and state parks may have different rules, but I would say they are probably open to camping anywhere (except Baxter of course).

Cookerhiker
12-24-2010, 10:46
...For all of the Appalachian Trail (I think): If you are in a National Forest, you can camp anywhere. If you are in a National Park, you cannot. This covers a large portion of the Trail. State forests and state parks may have different rules, but I would say they are probably open to camping anywhere (except Baxter of course).

National Parks - Smokies, thruhikers must pick up a permit and you must stay in the shelters - no camping between shelters. Shenandoah NP - you need a permit and there are regulations posted on the Park website but you are allowed to back-country camp.

National Forests - Cabin Fever's statement is generally true with the notable exception of White Mountain NF in NH where above-treeline camping is limited to the designated areas or you stay in the AMC huts.

States - NJ and CT restrict camping to designated camping areas only. Some are shelters, some are campsites but in any case, you can't camp in-between. NY restricts camping in Harriman State Park to shelters. The Trail Guide for NY & NJ says all camping along of the AT in NY is limited to shelters & designated campsites. However east of the Hudson River, this restriction is not a legal prohibition, just the opinion of the NY/NJ Trail Conference. Massachusetts prohibits camping on the Mt. Greylock summit.

In Maine, camping above treeline on mountaintops e.g. Saddleback, Bigalows is discouraged by the state and MATC but I'm not sure it's a legal prohibition.

tenn_hiker
12-24-2010, 11:42
okayy, cool.. so in georgia i can basically just pack my bag and hike till i reach the spot where i want to hike? i dont have to really plan any milage per day.. but i just need to figure out an average number of miles to hike each day to be done in like 7 days.. so my next question.. is standing indian the first place to get off the trail past the NC border? and how far is it from springer?

thanks again for all the help.

tenn_hiker
12-24-2010, 11:44
so in georgia i can basically just pack my bag and hike till i reach the spot where i want to hike?

i meant to say i can pack my bag and hike till i reach where i want to stop

bigcranky
12-24-2010, 11:47
Yes.

In March, the Trail in Georgia will be full of beginning thru-hikers. If you start at Springer and head north, you will spend a lot of time with the same hikers for the week. If you start in NC and head south, you will meet many different northbound thru-hikers on the trail and in camp. For me, I preferred the southbound option, so I could meet more people, but YMMV.

tenn_hiker
12-24-2010, 11:59
spring break is april 23rd to the 30th so i wont be out there in march.. will there be any thru hikers in april? i wanna meet some. i hope to thru hike when i get out of highschool.. i was gunna through hike it this year.. or attempt to but my plans fell through..

map man
12-24-2010, 12:55
The Thru-hikers Companion would be helpful to you when planning. You can get to it at aldha.org (click on "Thru-hiker Companion," then on the next page, "On-line Companion," then on the next page, "Georgia, North Carolina, Tennessee."). You will see that it is 83.3 miles from Springer to Deep Gap (USFS 71, closed in some winter months), the first decent road access in North Carolina. That would be about 12 miles of hiking a day. If the Amicalola Approach Trail is included add 8.8 miles if you start from the Visitor's Center, and 7.6 if you start from the lodge -- so that would be more like 13 miles per day if that distance is included.

If you don't want to carry 7 days of food with you, leave a resupply box at the Walasi Yi store at Neels Gap (US 19 and 129), 30.7 miles from Springer. The trail goes right through this place so you won't even have to leave the trail to resupply.

I hiked (and acted as a support vehicle for two friends in their early 50s) this section you are talking about this last October and one of my companions, who was in good shape, was able to hike 12 and 13 mile days without trouble, while the other friend, not in such great shape, could only do 9 to 10 mile days.

bigcranky
12-24-2010, 14:38
spring break is april 23rd to the 30th so i wont be out there in march.. will there be any thru hikers in april? i wanna meet some. i hope to thru hike when i get out of highschool.. i was gunna through hike it this year.. or attempt to but my plans fell through..

Oh, sorry, just noticed your age -- I assumed you were in college.

Yes, there will still be some starting thru-hikers, though not as many. If you start hiking on a weekend, that will increase your chances of meeting other hikers.

You can easily get more food at Neels Gap, so you only need to carry half of your food at a time.

tenn_hiker
12-24-2010, 16:21
okay im probably starting that Saturday. and i know i dont need to resupply twice but i know someone in hiwassee and im probly going to stay with them for a night and hit the trail again in morning and im probly going to leave a resupply at the Walasi Yi store at Neels Gap so would it help to leave a resupply with my friends in hiwassee or just resupply once?

and map man thanks for think info.

bigcranky
12-24-2010, 17:12
That will either be your first or last night on the Trail, so I would not bother with a resupply if it were me.

tenn_hiker
12-24-2010, 17:33
okay, i havent really looked at a map that much so i guess the only resupply should be at neels gap? where are the best water sources along the trail..?:-?

bigcranky
12-24-2010, 22:26
Download the Georgia section of the ALDHA Companion from their web site. It has all the info you need on water, camp sites, resupply, mileage, etc. And it's free.

tenn_hiker
12-24-2010, 23:28
Download the Georgia section of the ALDHA Companion from their web site. It has all the info you need on water, camp sites, resupply, mileage, etc. And it's free.

Awesome i think thats going tobe everything i need! thanks to everyone that helped

littledragon
02-05-2011, 18:07
anyone know if the folks at Walasi Yi give shuttles to Springer via USFS 42? My son and 3 friends need this type of shuttle Mar. 10. They plan to stop at Walasi Yi due to time constraints. Will the road be passable? What can you tell me so that I can help them?

Thanks.

littledragon
02-05-2011, 18:11
Hope someone can help with this- my son and 3 friends are planning to do a section in Ga. starting Mar. 10. They want to go from Springer to Walasi Yi Center- leaving the car at the parking area near the center and getting a shuttle via USFS 42 to the trail. Who does that kind of shuttling? Thanks.

MkBibble
02-05-2011, 18:29
There are several. I've used Survivor Dave several times. Great guy.

http://atsurvivordave.com/

MkBibble
02-05-2011, 18:32
There are also several others listed here:

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.mqLTIYOwGlF/b.4805499/k.547C/Getting_to_the_Trail.htm

littledragon
02-05-2011, 19:23
Thanks for the info for shuttles to Springer via USFS 42!!! It is greatly appreciated. I have finished Ga.and am close to my 1000 mile mark for the AT.- the guys are just getting started! I want them to have a great expericence.

Kerosene
02-05-2011, 20:19
Here is the itinerary that I followed in early April 2004 (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=261800) for you to consider:

12 miles from The Lodge to Hickory Flatts Cemetary
12 miles to the summit of Ramrock Mountain
12 miles to Neels Gap (hostel at trail crossing and cabins 0.5 miles right)
18 miles to Blue Mtn. Shelter
18 miles to Dicks Creek Gap (lodging in Hiawassee)
14 miles to Deep Gap (NC), with an additional 4 miles down the Kimsey Creek Trail to Standing Indian Campground and car

The 3 consecutive 18-milers were surprisingly easy after the warm-up days. We did have good weather, although very cold and windy the first two days. Hikers were in good general shape, aged 35-45 at the time.

KillerKowalski
02-09-2011, 21:40
Kerosene-

How are the campsites on the GA section?

dragoro
02-09-2011, 23:14
The Georgia campsites are all great. At least in my opinion.

KillerKowalski
02-10-2011, 22:24
Any idea of a map that is free for the GA campsites? I do not want to purchase the one from ATC for an arm and a leg.

I have a feeling that when I go in mid April shelters will be full.

dragoro
02-10-2011, 22:32
Campsites are all pretty obvious and spread out basically every 7 to 10 miles. Don't really need a map for the Georgia section, other then for knowing when your at a road intersection for hiker towns.

dragoro
02-10-2011, 22:34
Campsites are all pretty obvious and spread out basically every 7 to 10 miles. Don't really need a map for the Georgia section, other then for knowing when your at a road intersection for hiker towns.

And the trail will be so busy in march and April you shouldn't have a problem finding out when your coming up to a road to a hiker town.

KillerKowalski
02-10-2011, 22:51
Sorry, I should of been more clear. I know there are a lot based on the GA Club Google map. But, I need it for planning wise. I plan my mileage before every trip.

dragoro
02-10-2011, 22:55
There's the Appalachian trail thru hikers guide , which is what most people use, on sale for 10 bucks at amazon.com

dragoro
02-10-2011, 22:58
I'm sorry it's called appalachian trail thru hikers companion.

Awol1970
02-10-2011, 23:00
Killer if you promise not to leave any garbage and not to build a fire except in a well established fire ring I give you permission to camp anywhere you please. I have that power.

dragoro
02-10-2011, 23:05
Killer if you promise not to leave any garbage and not to build a fire except in a well established fire ring I give you permission to camp anywhere you please. I have that power.

Definitely true, ya can camp pretty much anywhere along the trail in Georgia.

KillerKowalski
02-10-2011, 23:07
Yes, I understand that and I apprecitate the info, but that is not what I am looking for. Plus, I would not camp anywhere unless there was already a designated spot. I back in and back out. I have a 13 gallon garbage bag half filled at IR last year in seven days.

KillerKowalski
02-10-2011, 23:08
*pack in and pack out.

dragoro
02-10-2011, 23:20
The companion gives elevation and distance markers to water, campsites, roads and what have you. What exactly are you looking for?

KillerKowalski
02-11-2011, 00:34
I am exactly looking for locations and mileage between campsites. I already have the GA section map for mileage with shelter mileages, but not the campsites. The thing is that I want to plan mileage and can't knowing the shelters will be taken when I come. I rather plan to tent and a default, but do not want to buy a book for a little information I need.

dragoro
02-11-2011, 01:11
All shelter sites have campsites. You could always try getting the appalachian trail data book. Much smaller book and cheaper. Will still have the info your looking for. Doubt you'll find anything cheaper, it's only like 6 bucks.

KillerKowalski
02-11-2011, 02:09
Okay. I will check it out. Have you hiked this section? If so, what time of year?

Awol1970
02-11-2011, 08:06
Killer? You are making this harder than it needs to be. All the shelters have ample places to camp. If you don't want to set up your tent at the shelter then get creative and camp where you please. It truly is that simple. Truly.

dragoro
02-11-2011, 10:31
Okay. I will check it out. Have you hiked this section? If so, what time of year?

Yep, hiked the Georgia section last April.

KillerKowalski
02-12-2011, 01:43
Awol-

I am just very particular about not moving flora to pitch a tent in area that has not been designated.

Dragoro-

How was the weather?

dragoro
02-12-2011, 02:04
Chilly at night, some rain, but over all pretty nice.

Razor
02-13-2011, 01:27
The Georgia section has campsites everywhere you turn. There is always room to pitch in the shelter areas( although during March,April it is very crowded)The only section you can not find a good site is betwen Woods Hole and Neal Gap and you don't want to stay there anyway. There are stelth sites developed sites and easy sites every few miles--just watch your water ,if you dry camp. If you are not good at setting up and knowing a durable surface, then stay at the shelter and tent there.Just remember to use Leave No Trace principles to guide your acts.

daddytwosticks
02-13-2011, 17:53
There's a great site to camp right after Wood's Hole Shelter and before you start the hike up Blood Mountain - Slaughter Gap campsites. Good water source here and several level tent pads. No bear cables when I stayed ther last April. :)