PDA

View Full Version : Snow shoe poles?

Mrs Baggins
12-23-2010, 16:18
I just got my first pair of snow shoes for my birthday, and now I'm seeing "snow shoe poles" for sale. Are they really necessary? Can I do something to modify my Komperdell hiking poles for the snow? I'm just going to be using the snow shoes on the local trails, not climbing up any Eigers :eek: with them.

Luddite
12-23-2010, 16:21
You can get snow baskets for them.

http://www.rei.com/product/745695?preferredSku=7456950018&cm_mmc=cse_froogle-_-datafeed-_-product-_-7456950018&mr:trackingCode=177F4FFE-FB85-DE11-B7F3-0019B9C043EB&mr:referralID=NA

Mooselook Marty
12-23-2010, 16:56
Any trekking poles work fine for snowshoes. The snow baskets can help, in deep powder especially. They are a hindrance more than a help where the snow is like mashed potatoes, as it collects on the top of the baskets, making the poles quite heavy. You have to clap the poles together to get the snow off. Royal pain.

Elder
12-23-2010, 17:12
Different baskets for different conditions.
The Trekking (small) baskets are for hiking to protect the lower shaft and keep them from digging deep in soft soil.
The Snowflake/ standard ski baskets work for many snows and trails in the winter.
The Snowshoe Baskets are larger and more flexible to "float" on deeper, powder snow.
Have fun!

Slo-go'en
12-23-2010, 17:22
To answer the first question, yes, you definately want to use poles. Like everyone else said, you can get snow baskets for the hiking poles you already have. I use my old, heavy duty Leki poles for snow shoeing as I'm afraid my new light duty poles won't take some of the stress I put on them in the snow.

Blue Jay
12-23-2010, 20:18
I live next to a X-country ski/ Snow shoe Lodge, one of the main reasons I live here. Every one who skis, uses poles due to the fact that they help you turn at speed, gliding on flat surfaces and holding your position and not slipping back on up hills. I have not seen a single person use poles for snow shoeing because snow shoeing you do not want to turn at speed (you're walking), you get no glide with snowshoes and you don't slip back at all with snowshoes. Even the status you get while hiking with them is gone.

Slosteppin
12-23-2010, 20:43
No, poles are not necessary for snowshoeing.
I use poles for hiking and, of course, for XC skiing.
I never use poles for snowshoeing. Most of my friends do use poles. I think they just get in the way; poles and sometimes friends. I'm already walking on two big platforms. I don't need anything more to stay upright and slow me down more.

Slosteppin

leaftye
12-23-2010, 20:46
I tripped over my own snowshoes a LOT when I first got them. I still do it. I'd be doing face plants if I didn't have trekking poles.

peakbagger
12-23-2010, 21:36
Most of the folks that I hike with in the winter use poles. When I dont use them, its a lot more work especially when going up hill. It does take awhile to get used to them as it transfers load to the upper body. There are more than few spots I have been over the years where if I didnt have poles, I wouldnt have made it up a steep slope. I use Leki three piece poles and swap my summer baskets with winter baskets. The Leki twist locks do not work as well in the winter and I find that they loosen up more often so I check them on occasion.

shelterbuilder
12-23-2010, 21:58
I've snowshoed without poles (in my younger years), and I've snowshoed with poles (now that I'm an old fart). FWIW, I prefer to use the poles (the same poles that I use with my X-C skiis) - I find that I have better balance, and it seems to me as if it's actually easier going. I don't know how much forward motion I'm adding by using the poles, but it has to be some significant amount.

Yes, under some conditions I have to bang the poles together to clear the snow from the snow baskets...so what!

Maybe your local ski shop will have an after-Christmas sale on poles....

Toolshed
12-23-2010, 22:37
Color me with ShelterBuilder. I prefer them now - especially on steep ups and downs. the best fun is glissading on steep downs where you can go 15-18 feet with each step until the crampon digs in and brings you to a halt. It worked very well on my old Sherpa ice claws (tucker binding no heel claw).
Now I have Atlas's with a big heel crampon. not as far now.. (Course it might be the 50 year old joints too):).

But try this: get on a very narrow trail and try to back up without poles.
Also If you are going to be anywhere where you think you might hit deep spruce traps, you might want a set of poles.