PDA

View Full Version : Cup with a handle Cozy

Nameless
12-21-2004, 05:17
Hello,

I'm currently looking into how to design my cup/cozy and would love some feedback.

I have a few quite cheap, old plastic company cups that have always served me well, but I would like to update with a cozy. My lightest one is 1.75 oz (measured on a scale that goes to the closest quarter oz) so I have decided to take it. It has a stand thing on the bottom to keep the bottom from overheating and melting stuff, so that will go tomorrow. Then I hope to make a cozy to go with it, to always keep my drinks and food warm (I use my cup as a bowl, my pot lid as a plate, and life is great)

I originally just planned to cut off the handle, but after some thought that defiantly isn’t going to happen. I have a tendency to lose things rather easily, so have learned to in the past drill a hole through the end of my fork, tie a shoelace through it, lace that through my cup handle, and tie it too my pack. It’s much harder to lose something with a long string tied to it, or if it is tied to your pack. And that way you can tie a dirty cup onto your pack after you are done drinking something warm, and clean it when you roll into camp later. So, in short, the handle stays.

My first plan is to superglue a circle of blue closed cell foam pad to the bottom. That way it is always there, and I cannot lose it.

Should I superglue the pad to the sided of the cup? Does it matter that I will not be able to remove the cozy to clean it? Or should I tape it around the cup, so I could remove it when needed? Is there some other way to attach the sides?

Thankyou
Pink

orangebug
12-21-2004, 06:27
I'm not sure I understand why you would do this. Why not just use an insulated cup from the local convenience store, complete with a handle and a top?

I use my cup as a cup for warm drinks including Instant Breakfast, cocoa, tea or whatever. I use my pot as my bowl, dinner plate and a pot. I use my lid to help speed up boiling and to contain cooking gear in my pack. My empty cup serves to carry items like sunglasses, Snickers bars and snacks.

jlb2012
12-21-2004, 08:57
one idea that I heard of wrt the handle of the cup - cut it off and duct tape on a mini 'biner instead - makes it easy to clip to your pack

Nameless
12-22-2004, 07:51
Orangebug - And why would i throw away a perfectly good cup just to get a new one? That costs more money, and only creates more waste in this wastefull country.

HOI - I may consider that carabiner idea, it sounds kinda cool. I kinda like my slightly larger cup more, and after I removed the handle i think it might work...

But my main concern hasnt been answered. Will it matter if i superglue the pad to the cup? will it be impossible to keep clean?

Thanks
Pink

jlb2012
12-22-2004, 08:05
But my main concern hasnt been answered. Will it matter if i superglue the pad to the cup? will it be impossible to keep clean?

Thanks
Pink

Well in general cozys tend to be a bit difficult to keep clean - there has been many times when I have been eating out of my cozy and noticed a little ripe smell from prior meals but I just tell my self that its just the cozy and not the stuff inside the zip lock and keep chowing down. WRT to a cup I suspect that the smell problem will be less but still a possible issue. If you are concerned I would suggest only supergluing the bottom on and then duct tape the sides on so that the side pad can be changed out if it gets to be too smelly. Cut the side pad a little small and the bottom pad a little large and wrap the duct tape tight and it will stay together fairly well IMO.

weary
12-22-2004, 08:48
Probably and yes.

Weary

SGT Rock
12-22-2004, 10:28
My cozies are made from cloth and get washed every time I do laundry of field equipment.

Nameless
12-24-2004, 06:40
SGT Rock,

How do you make your cozies with fabric?

Thanks
Pink