PDA

View Full Version : Looking to upgrade

skydog
12-23-2010, 16:50
I got a grand trunk skeeter beater just to see if I like the hammock thing... well I like it and now im looking to upgrade. I have been looking at the ENO double and single, a Hennessy Expedition, and a Trek Light double. Just wondering how everyones experience is with these hammocks and which one they like best. If there is a brand or style im looking over im deff open to suggestions.
Thanks

jeremesh
12-23-2010, 17:48
I got a grand trunk skeeter beater just to see if I like the hammock thing... well I like it and now im looking to upgrade. I have been looking at the ENO double and single, a Hennessy Expedition, and a Trek Light double. Just wondering how everyones experience is with these hammocks and which one they like best. If there is a brand or style im looking over im deff open to suggestions.
Thanks

Lots of choices. If you go over to hammockforums.net, you will probably get your best information but the general consensus from what I see is that the Warbonnet black bird is the hammock of choice.

I have a Clark NX250 and a HH Expedition Asym. I prefer the clark.

Bags4266
12-23-2010, 17:55
Do you sew or are tight w/ someone who does? If so, make your own it's idiot proof.
5'x 10' breathable piece of 1.5 to 1.9 oz nylon depending on you weight and hem the edges. Hammock forum will show you how to gather the ends. You can make one for around $15.00

Doc Mike
12-23-2010, 20:09
Love my HH but have heard good things about others. seems its hard to go wrong.

Good luck and checl out jacks r better
http://www.jacksrbetter.com/

Doc Mike

ps I don't work with them or have any connection but have been real happy with their products.

gunner76
12-24-2010, 08:53
Get a Warbonnet BlackBird. My wife and I own several hammocks but our BlackBirds are our go to camping hammocks. Plus if you decide you do not like it you can sell on Hammockforums.net in a couple of hours for almost full price

Bags4266
12-24-2010, 13:25
Well if upgrading from a GT you will find the BBWB almost 3x the weight from a GT. Consider what time of the year you do most of your hanging and if you need a netting or not. You could have a basic hammock and a bugnet thats removable to save weight.

Tinker
12-24-2010, 21:30
I downgraded. After owning a Hennessy for three years I went back to a basic gathered end hammock with a separate bug netting. It's cooler in the summer, easier to get in and out of, and I can leave the netting home when the bugs die off in cooler weather.

Bags4266
12-24-2010, 23:50
Ya know, I'm sure the WBBB is a great hammock, no questions asked, but the jezz there are other options that are lighter and just as comfy.

topshelf
12-25-2010, 10:28
well if you like the grand trunk so much then what do you personally look for in an upgrade? I mean if you like this one so much, why not just keep using it?

I personally use a trek light double and liked it so much that I've added a new suspension, a ridgeline to help me hang it more consistent, plus it allows me to hang things from it when inside. I've sewn on my own bug net, much like the blackbird. I took off the stuff sack and turned it into a bishop bag.

It was very hard for me to justify buying a newer more expensive hammock when I loved the one I had.