PDA

View Full Version : Rain/Wind Jacket Suggestions

swash
12-24-2010, 00:13
I'm looking to buy a rain jacket that will also double as my wind jacket. I searched and found that many people use the Marmot Precip as both. For those of you who do does it breath well?

Also, will any rain jacket double as a wind jacket because of the material it is made with? I'm guessing they do and the only thing you have to consider is how well it ventilates.

I'm also trying to stay close to $75

4eyedbuzzard
12-24-2010, 00:20
Does it breathe well? No. It breathes some. The pit zips help. Using it as both a rain and a wind shell is a compromise. One tip is to remove insulation layers when you use it if you're hiking because it will have a vapor barrier effect - you'll get too warm AND your insulation will get wet with sweat / condensation. When you stop, put the dry insulation layers back on before you get chilled.

hikerboy57
12-24-2010, 09:07
Picked up the Marmot mica, Its lighter than the precip, more breathable, and pretty much bombproof.. Wore it in pouring rain w/ 35 lb pack, kept me dry as a bone. A little more expensive, but worth it.

perrito
12-24-2010, 10:17
Check out the Mountain Hardwear Quark. It's a little more expensive, but you can find it on sale sometimes.

Tinker
12-24-2010, 11:47
I'm looking to buy a rain jacket that will also double as my wind jacket. I searched and found that many people use the Marmot Precip as both. For those of you who do does it breath well?

Also, will any rain jacket double as a wind jacket because of the material it is made with? I'm guessing they do and the only thing you have to consider is how well it ventilates.

I'm also trying to stay close to $75

Former Precip user here - Not breathable at all, as far as I can tell. Sweatsuit in warmer weather. Nice vents, though.
Current Gore-Tex and eVent user. Both of these (not the Gore PacLite, though) are more breathable than Precip, but I can out-sweat both of them in warmer weather - easily.
If your funds are limited, I'd suggest that you buy a coated, non-breathable rain jacket with good ventilation and a windbreaker (without a liner) at Salvation Army or other goodwill center. When I was young and poor that's what I did. An extra 6-8 oz. won't kill you, and you'll have far more versatility than you would trying to make a rainjacket function as a windshirt/breaker.
Btw: Breath is what you have.
Breathe is what you do with it.:)

verber
12-24-2010, 12:54
+1 to tinker. Most of the PU coated jackets aren't that breathable. eVENT is the best but you can still overwhelm it with high activity levels in cooler weather, or moderate activity level in warmer weather. Separating the windshirt from your rain jacket is good. If you have the money, I think the Patagonia Houdini is the best windshirt on the market.

One other option on the rain jacket front are DriDucks... cheaper, lighters, and more breathable than any of the Marmot jackets people regularly talk about. Mine typically last a couple of seasons before they wear out. That's not great, but at $20 for jacket and pants, I think I can live with it.

--Mark

swash
12-24-2010, 14:08
I should mention that I don't wear any rain gear while hiking, only for camp. I'm thinking a lightweight windbreaker for hiking/camp and a rain jacket for camp. Ventilation shouldn't be that big of an issue then

rookiehiker
12-29-2010, 00:09
I have a columbia raintech jacket and have no issues with it.

STICK
12-29-2010, 00:26
I have read some good reviews on the GoLite Tumalo jacket. It is normally $150.00 but if you use the code "DSW10" in the checkout it will knock the price down to $90. I know it's a little higher than you stated, but not by much, and at $60 off, it is actually a steal...If I could pull out the $90 somewhere it would be on it's way to my door step...

Wags
12-29-2010, 12:56
my advice is don't spend a lot of money. there are many options out there that work fine for the rain without dropping a lot of coin... personally i think the "breathability" factor is overstated and often times plays into marketing but not real world experience. if i start getting hot i simply unzip my jacket. doesn't get any more breathable than that...

swash
12-30-2010, 16:34
I just picked up a Kelty all-weather jacket on clearance at Target for only $10, originally $35. It's wind proof, water resistant, and just what I need. Only 9.5 ounces too so it's pretty light

jabber
12-30-2010, 23:22
I got a EMS Thunderhead for about 70.00 & it works great, The pit zips really help if you start getting hot/sweaty.

Jab.

HiKen2011
12-30-2010, 23:24
my advice is don't spend a lot of money. there are many options out there that work fine for the rain without dropping a lot of coin... personally i think the "breathability" factor is overstated and often times plays into marketing but not real world experience. if i start getting hot i simply unzip my jacket. doesn't get any more breathable than that...

I concur, I have the Marmot Precip, not very breathable, but waterproof with pit zips and like Wags said unzip it!!!!!!

swash
12-31-2010, 01:11
The only bad thing (well there are two actually) about the Kelty jacket is that 1) no pit zips and 2) it's 100% polyester. From my research polyester will create a sauna and offer no breathing. At least it will wick away all of my sweat caused by wearing it...

Rick500
12-31-2010, 12:58
+1 on what's been said about the Precip. Not super-breathable but it works out fine for me.

Snowleopard
12-31-2010, 22:27
I just went through this process and ended up with something more expensive. This is what I found in my research for lower priced rain jacket:
Dri Ducks or Frogg Toggs -- super cheap ($20), light, breathes well, OK for trail hiking, too fragile for bushwhacking or winter hiking when the snow bends the branches down to the ground. I'll use my DriDucks for summer hikes.
Marmot Mica: $90. This has mixed reviews. Light, breathes, DWR needs to be renewed often.
http://www.campsaver.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=marmot+mica

Cabela's Rainy River, Goretex Paclite, on sale now $99.95. This got a good review at backpackinglight. 16 oz in a large tall (tall has a separate listing)
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-GORE-TEX-PacLite-Rainy-River-Parka-Regular/1165338.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=/catalog/search.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsc h%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Drainy%2Briver %26x%3D0%26y%3D0%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts&Ntt=rainy+river&WTz_l=Header;Search-All%20Products

Red Ledge Thunderlight, $38.93. Doesn't breath well but got a good review at backpackinglight.com because it was well ventilated; surprisingly well made for the price according to BPL. Check to be sure this version has pit zips. This might work well combined with a really cheap light Salvation Army breathable windbreaker for when it's not raining.
http://www.rei.com/outlet/search?vcat=OUTLET_SEARCH&query=thunderlight&button.x=0&button.y=0

After writing this I noticed OP has bought something. Hope it works well for you, the price is certainly good.

Tinker
01-01-2011, 12:57
The only bad thing (well there are two actually) about the Kelty jacket is that 1) no pit zips and 2) it's 100% polyester. From my research polyester will create a sauna and offer no breathing. At least it will wick away all of my sweat caused by wearing it...

Wick it to where? It's coated. There's nowhere for the sweat to go. You'll just have to unzip it and hope the wind's at your back. :)

It'll do, I'm sure - for most conditions.

Deacon
01-01-2011, 13:03
How about the Six Moon Design Gatewood Cape as a rain jacket? I realize it is expensive compared to other choices mentioned here; but I can think of several advantages:

Advantages:
1) It gives complete coverage over body and pack. When hiking along and rain suddenly starts, just reach back in the pack pocket and throw over pack and all without stopping to remove pack.

2) Unlike ponchos, the Cape is closed on all sides and affords protection from wind blown rain.

3) Unlike ponchos, he Cape zips up/down the front for ventilation.

Potential Disadvantages:
1) Arms are exposed outside of Cape and can get cold.

2) Material is silnylon and not breathable, however is totally open on the bottom. The Cape hangs about knee length.

3) Expensive ~ $130.00 but total coverage at 11 ounces.

If anyone has a Gatewood Cape, I would like to hear their experiences.

hikerboy57
01-01-2011, 13:07
I just went through this process and ended up with something more expensive. This is what I found in my research for lower priced rain jacket:
Dri Ducks or Frogg Toggs -- super cheap ($20), light, breathes well, OK for trail hiking, too fragile for bushwhacking or winter hiking when the snow bends the branches down to the ground. I'll use my DriDucks for summer hikes.
Marmot Mica: $90. This has mixed reviews. Light, breathes, DWR needs to be renewed often.
http://www.campsaver.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=marmot+mica

Cabela's Rainy River, Goretex Paclite, on sale now $99.95. This got a good review at backpackinglight. 16 oz in a large tall (tall has a separate listing)
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-GORE-TEX-PacLite-Rainy-River-Parka-Regular/1165338.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=/catalog/search.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsc h%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Drainy%2Briver %26x%3D0%26y%3D0%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts&Ntt=rainy+river&WTz_l=Header;Search-All%20Products

Red Ledge Thunderlight, $38.93. Doesn't breath well but got a good review at backpackinglight.com because it was well ventilated; surprisingly well made for the price according to BPL. Check to be sure this version has pit zips. This might work well combined with a really cheap light Salvation Army breathable windbreaker for when it's not raining.
http://www.rei.com/outlet/search?vcat=OUTLET_SEARCH&query=thunderlight&button.x=0&button.y=0

After writing this I noticed OP has bought something. Hope it works well for you, the price is certainly good.
I owned the Red Ledge, found it okay for changeable weather,light rain. the brerathability was okay but didnt keep me dry during downpours. My Marmot Mica was a bit pricy, but in spite of no pit zips, has excellent breathability, and kept me dry as a bone.

Dogwood
01-01-2011, 18:41
I like separating the wind jacket from the rain jacket when I think conditions dicate I can. For example, if I think it's not going to rain hard or the odds are low this will happen, but the weather stiill might be gusty, possibly encountering lite mist, and coldish(above 35* though and typically not at the highest elevations I hike - above 14K ft) I'll reach for one of my UL goto wind jackets as a shell which include the GoLite Wisp and Marmot Ion(hood removed!). Montane and some other gear manufacturers make excellent truely highly breathable windshirts(check Verber's gear review site for the latest info and solid gear opinions!). The advantages, for me, IMO, when separating the wind jacket from the rain jacket and going with just the wind jacket is decreased wt(save maybe 3-4 ozs) and wind jackets, for me, are a bit more breathable.

With a thru-hiking rain jacket, mainly on established trails, I'm seeking a hood that doesn't impair my vision, a visor that keeps water from dripping on my face and stays off my face, hand pockets(this is important to me!), something that is truely WP(and stays that way), doesn't need to be babied, is highly compressible taking up a very small volume, has a tail/hem waistline(long enough for my long torso) so rain doesn't go down my backside or into my rain pants from the waist, that breathes resonably well(although this is somewhat subjective of a quality and SO OVERUSED as a marketing tool), and that's 8 oz or less in my Lg/XL size. Until I find something with a better combination of those characteristics the Marmot Mica is what I go with when I'm desiring a rain jacket doubling as a wind jacket. For 3-4 ozs more than just a WR wind jacket not only do I get a wind jacket but a fully functional rain jacket with the Mica! Bought mine at Dicks Sporting Goods when they first arrived on the hiking scene about 2 1/2 - 3 yrs ago for $70 with a promotional code discount. Have washed it with no soap many times and IT'S STILL FULLY WP with no holes, rips, zipper snags, velcro issues, etc after countless times protecting me in the heaviest of rain, sideways sleet, blowing snow, and gusty wind. I also like that the Mica has an adjustable hood cord that is comfortable around my face and seals out moisture/traps a bit of heat, adjustable micro waist cord that seals out water and wind entry/traps more warmth, and has adjustable tight sealing velcro cuffs that seal out moisture from running up my arms. I've learned to do without the pit zips though for thru-hiking. In hot steamy jungles hikes may reconsider a rain jacket with pit zips though. Just like other more breathable rain jacket shell materials(Gore-tex PacLite, eVent) pit zips aren't required as much because the shell breathes so well and there are all those other adjustable venting options including the full length chest zip. With pit zips or not you can overwhelm any rain jacket/wind jacket's ability to breathe - IF YOU LET THAT HAPPEN.