PDA

View Full Version : How are the conditions around Roanoke/McAfee Knob?

ravenleg
12-24-2010, 00:24
A college buddy and I from Ohio are looking at driving down to VA to do a four day/three night trek from Rt 620 to I-81 the week after Xmas. We're planning to tent the first night next to a creek between Rt 624 and Rt 785, do night two at Catawba shelter, and then night three at Lamberts Meadow shelter.

Does anyone know how the snow currently is up on the ridge around Dragon's Tooth or McAfee Knob? How will the water sources be through there? And does that sounds like a reasonable itinerary above given the current conditions?

It looks like there's a big parking lot just a few hundred yards north of where the trail spills out onto I-81, is that a good place to leave a car? I have cousins in the area who could then drop us off at the other end.

I've done some winter backpacking before but being 300 miles away makes it difficult to plan this thing without knowing exactly how it is down there, especially with the winter we've been having.

Any advice or info would be greatly appreciated!

im lost
12-24-2010, 02:14
Will be going up to rte 311 on sunday to check out trail conditions supposed to get a little snow friday and saturday. My brother and I will be going to the same area with our oldest kids next week also..ahhhhhh winter

Starbuck
12-24-2010, 09:54
I went up about 2 days ago and the trail was in decent shape.. We're expecting a little accumulation on Christmas, but not enough to worry about too much. Springs were running then, but it's been extremely cold in Blacksburg so I'd come prepared. Windy, chilly, and I believe it's supposed to warm up around New Years (Possible rain though... gross!).

As for parking, I've parked at that intersection many times without problems, so you should be fine.

:) have a good time!

Ol Mole
12-25-2010, 09:00
Snow has come for Christmas. An inch is on the ground now, but forecast is for less than 4 inches.

I'm planning to hike there on New Years weekend.

Happy Trails.