PDA

View Full Version : Maps

littlefoot33
12-24-2010, 15:56
I know this is kinda silly and you guys are gonna laugh at me, but I am a sucker for actual, legit, paper maps. The kind with creases that you can fold into nice little squares and mark-up with notes every night. I'd probably be fine without them, but I'd just like to have them for a visual reference as I plan my trip and tentatively plan mail-drops and meet-ups and stuff.

Where is the cheapest place to get them for the AT? So far the best I found online was $200+ on the AT Conservancy site. That's more than my tent cost.

Much thanks!

wrongway_08
12-24-2010, 16:21
No cheap place to get them, I bought the complete set and all guides for the maps from the A.T. website. I think cost was around $160.00 - that might have also included the cost of the thru-hiker companio also. I will look for the web site for you.

https://www.atctrailstore.org/catalog/itemlist.cfm?atcmem=0&catid=42&pcatid=0&compid=1

this is the site

couscous
12-24-2010, 16:25
Where is the cheapest place to get them for the AT?
From someone selling a used set...
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=67114
Other options include printing your own maps from software like Delorme Topo 9 or printing them from online sources. Hard to develop the perfect map with enough topo detail and points of interest while still covering an adequate section of trail.

wrongway_08
12-24-2010, 16:25
Sorry, missed the part of your post about the $200.00 plus ....:o

Yea, look for used on this site. Best bet.

10-K
12-24-2010, 17:47
Buy the set, take care of them and you'll be able to get at least 50-60% of your money back reselling them.

TheChop
12-24-2010, 17:59
Just got my set and have been pouring through them. It's a whole boatload of information and a massive amount of maps. I'm not getting up off the couch to count but I'd say 40-45 maps included. 4-5 bucks a map is a good deal. Some of the National Geographic maps are 10-12 bucks by themselves plus you get the little guide books.

The only odd part I've noticed are the guidebooks are written SOBO so if you're NOBO you read them backwards which seems very very weird.

10-K
12-24-2010, 18:00
The only odd part I've noticed are the guidebooks are written SOBO so if you're NOBO you read them backwards which seems very very weird.

Maybe the assumption is the trail starts in Maine and ends in Georgia instead of the other way around.

nobo = right handed sobo = left handed :)

No Cows
12-24-2010, 18:10
Just got my set and have been pouring through them. It's a whole boatload of information and a massive amount of maps. I'm not getting up off the couch to count but I'd say 40-45 maps included. 4-5 bucks a map is a good deal. Some of the National Geographic maps are 10-12 bucks by themselves plus you get the little guide books.

The data book is written that way also, odd since most folks hike NOBO but I'm sure there's reason

shelterbuilder
12-24-2010, 19:47
Congratulations on becoming so wise at such a young age!:D

A good set of maps - coupled with a good compass that you know how to use - is an asset that can get you out of a jam when those around you are stumbling around in circles.

Used, from someone here, is probably your cheapest option. (Personally, I tend to keep my old maps/guidebooks - they make an interesting historical read later in life, as you can look back through them and notice changes that have taken place: re-locations, new shelters, old shelters removed, etc.)

BTW, the OLD maps and guidebooks for Pa. used to read in both directions (the book was divided in half - half reading NOBO, the other half reading SOBO)...but the old maps left a GREAT deal to be desired in terms of today's quality and detail - black and white maps for most of the state, and an extremely small scale reproduction of the topography.

Good luck!

RichardD
12-26-2010, 00:02
I too like maps and am considering purchasing the complete set. However a couple of years ago when I hiked part of the AT I picked up a map in a hiker box then was given another further down the trail by another hiker. The maps, of the trail in Virginia, contained only a narrow strip of perhaps only a mile or so in width. The map showed the trail detail admirably but showed almost nothing of the surroundings.
Perhaps someone with the complete set can tell me, are they all this way or do some of the maps show a lot more of the surroundings?
I know I would be quite disappointed if I spent the $230 or so for the set from the conservancy and found most of them to be just narrow strips.
I like to be able to study the map, pick out the surrounding mountains and see the locations of the surrounding towns.
I know its not needed for trail navigation but I enjoy studying the maps.

Blissful
12-27-2010, 21:44
Depends on the maps. Some show more, some less (like PATC maps of the AT in SNP on up north to PA show more of the blue blaze trails). But all are geared toward the AT. However that should not deter one from a map purchase. I believe they are good to have.

rapchizzle
12-28-2010, 11:00
I enjoy a good paper map too. I figure I'm going to try and get the set before i go and have them mailed every so often. Then again, I just like maps. I've got a wall at my house covered in nautical charts of areas I've fished.

jeremesh
12-28-2010, 11:06
Maps are always cool.. I have been getting the AT maps a section at a time as I head into that area.

FatherTime09
01-05-2011, 22:52
I'm usually a pretty visual person too and enjoy being able to look at a map, but from the maps I've seen, the only advantage they will give you is being able to see the terrain ahead. I hiked with only the Companion (and with a guy with maps for a week or so) and the amount of information it has gives you a pretty good idea of what to expect. For instance, it gives the distance between landmarks and the elevations of each. That doesn't mean that between a spot that's 1000ft and another that's 1005ft you're not going to go down a few hundred and back up... BUT, you're going to hike it no matter what anyway right? I mean, I'm also the type of hiker that likes to take it as it comes too, so I'd mostly only check the distances at shelters or other major landmarks to see how much further to the next shelter (or town, and you're going to know ahead of time that you need to stop for resupply). But I'd pretty much decide in the morning what my destination was anyways, based on the miles.
So I'm rambling a bit here but here's my point: In my opinion, the Companion gives you all the information you will need. I would check it out if you haven't already. It would save you the money and the hassle of having the right maps at the right times.
Just one man's opinion.

C Seeker
01-06-2011, 12:18
look under buying used gear forum...someone is selling there whole set. I think it is for 170$ but don't quote me on it. Also keep your eyes open in used bookstores.

Igor
02-25-2011, 20:00
Is it a better idea to get the maps all at once prior to starting a thru, or are they readily available along the way (like no extra non-resupply trips to go get them)?

Chubbs4U
02-25-2011, 20:11
how often are the maps updated? Are they updated every few years, every year or only a few times overall?

WalkinHome
02-26-2011, 09:28
For common sense reasons, most maps and guides are updated whenever the inventory runs out. Some clubs may reprint their product if the changes are minimal. In Maine, that is about 5-6 years. An exception might be if there was a huge relocation but in this day and age, I think that is unlikely.

kayak karl
02-26-2011, 10:33
and the relocation's that are made for whatever reason are newly blazed and easy to follow.

GeneralLee10
02-26-2011, 13:04

It is 37 maps total. I numbered all my maps so that I could tell my wife I need maps number 12-16. A much easier way than tell someone I need the Tenn. map you know the one with.......
I lost one map going into the Whites map number 29 or 30 something close to that. Just lay them out on your table and match the matchlines up. It is very easy to do, well for me it was as I was in the Land Surveying business for 13 years.

GeneralLee10
02-26-2011, 13:19
I found that there was some errors were on the maps. Not a big deal, if you have the newest guide book in hand. The best thing the maps were for was a Blue Blaze trail or certain overlooks, water crossings/sources. the days total elev. gain and loss, meaning how many ups and downs that some books do not show you. In the Whites there are some short cuts you can take. Like the Zealand Falls trail I think it is. It cut off a big bend in the trail. There was a Trail that lead right to Gorham. Back in Ga Nc area you can take the Kimsley Creek Trail it will shave a day off your trek.
We came into Duncanon Pa at night: hit the road could not see a Blaze; started to walk in the wrong direction. I pulled out my map and said Hey guys it's this way. Many more helpful things on the maps!!! In my opinion the maps area worth what the cost.

The Counselor
02-26-2011, 22:29
Try carto-craft maps out of Birmingham. I am lucky to live here and I can visit the shop. It's one of a kind. Google it and give them a call. Good people.

FarmRookie DGH
03-06-2011, 12:17
In the Whites there are some short cuts you can take. Like the Zealand Falls trail I think it is. It cut off a big bend in the trail. There was a Trail that lead right to Gorham. Back in Ga Nc area you can take the Kimsley Creek Trail it will shave a day off your trek.

Why would a person take of on the epic adventure of a lifetime and then take a shortcut? It would seem to diminish the accomplishment.

Blissful
03-06-2011, 12:25
Hyoh......

Pony
03-08-2011, 16:22
Why would a person take of on the epic adventure of a lifetime and then take a shortcut? It would seem to diminish the accomplishment.

I skipped 8 miles of trail by taking a road walk instead of hiking over Crocker mountain. I don't feel like my hike was diminished at all.

Usually the person taking the "shortcut", doesn't have as much of an issue as others not taking the shortcut. Either way, I don't see where skipping a few miles of trail would ruin 5-6 months of hiking.

XCskiNYC
03-08-2011, 16:52
I found that there was some errors were on the maps. Not a big deal, if you have the newest guide book in hand. The best thing the maps were for was a Blue Blaze trail or certain overlooks, water crossings/sources. the days total elev. gain and loss, meaning how many ups and downs that some books do not show you. In the Whites there are some short cuts you can take. Like the Zealand Falls trail I think it is. It cut off a big bend in the trail. There was a Trail that lead right to Gorham. Back in Ga Nc area you can take the Kimsley Creek Trail it will shave a day off your trek.
We came into Duncanon Pa at night: hit the road could not see a Blaze; started to walk in the wrong direction. I pulled out my map and said Hey guys it's this way. Many more helpful things on the maps!!! In my opinion the maps area worth what the cost.

Since they can show you blue blazes and other alternate trails they're actually an important piece of safety gear. If you need to get yourself off the trail quickly, help somebody else do so, or go for help on foot, a good quality map will make that much easier than just hoping the next road crossing isn't too far (and that the road crossed isn't 30 miles from anything else).

Also, maps weigh less than a GPS (well, the entire AT set might outweight a GPS, but you'll probably figure out a way to not have to carry them all at once -- probably sending them ahead to PO's up the trail).

The map quality does vary from one area to the next, apparently depending on the trail club that's behind their design, even though they are all marketed through ATC. The NY-NJ maps are multi-colored and show quite a lot of the trails surrounding the AT in parks like Bear Mtn., Harriman, Fahenstock, and others. The CT-MA maps are in black-and-white but they are nicely detailed. I have a 1995 edition of the VT-NH maps and those are monochrome and a little scrunched, though they appear usable enough. In any case, the ATC map/book sets are, AFAIK, the only game in town for a detailed map set that's oriented to the lay of the trail, whichever direction it may run in at any given area.

weary
03-08-2011, 19:00
I skipped 8 miles of trail by taking a road walk instead of hiking over Crocker mountain. I don't feel like my hike was diminished at all.....
How do you know? You haven't seen the Crockers, two of the highest mountains in Maine and two great wild summits.

Cuffs
03-16-2011, 15:25
More AT maps... http://www.antigravitygear.com/pocket-profile-appalachian-trail-elevation-profile-map.html

GeneralLee10
03-16-2011, 15:39
Rookie[/COLOR] DGH;1124460]Why would a person take of on the epic adventure of a lifetime and then take a shortcut? It would seem to diminish the accomplishment.

First off, your name says it all. You are wrong in my eyes. I payed for it NOT you. It was my walk NOT yours. I made it my walk NOT yours. I had fun every foot step I took. I really do not care what you or another has to say or think about how I did what I did, again it was MY MONEY NOT YOURS!!!! To me they were not short cuts, to folks like you they are, that is why I said shortcuts; make more since to ya now "Rookie" Thus is the whole reason they have the HYOH saying. Go hike the trail and you might get to understand it a little-bit more.

Pony, I agree with you 100%.

Ol Mole
03-16-2011, 15:52
First off, your name says it all. You are wrong in my eyes. I payed for it NOT you. It was my walk NOT yours. I made it my walk NOT yours. I had fun every foot step I took. I really do not care what you or another has to say or think about how I did what I did, again it was MY MONEY NOT YOURS!!!! To me they were not short cuts, to folks like you they are, that is why I said shortcuts; make more since to ya now "Rookie" Thus is the whole reason they have the HYOH saying. Go hike the trail and you might get to understand it a little-bit more.

Pony, I agree with you 100%.

I agree also. HYOH. I love maps and having them with me have enalbled me to change my plans....to take that other trail, or the other way. It's less about miles and more about time and experience.

Happy Trails.