PDA

View Full Version : trip prep help

Mtn Scout
12-25-2010, 04:38
we are planning a fishing/hiking trip in the spring. i have bought a smaller pack and am hoping to go out of it because i think it will be a perfect test. i need yalls opinions on what to take etc. i am not completely focused on weight but the more i can shed the better i will be. th pack i will hopefully be taking in 1864ci. i know i will have the following

- GT Ul hammock 11oz
-marmot bag 2lbs 2 oz
- homebrew tarp- 1lb 3 oz
- hiking poles 16oz
-cook set 16 oz including tons of fuel
- food have not weighed
- camel back full of h20 8lbs
-sleeping pad 13oz
- water filter 9 oz
there is some other things but i dont have my list in front of me its going to be a fri-sun trip and i am trying to keep minimal only to try to fit in this pack. i can move to another pack and i will have all the room in the world. looking for advice on what you guys think. amount of clothes, what you would not take what you would etc. i am contemplating taking a prop lantern or getting a candle lantern adn would like some tips on that. i know prop would be have but we have talked about one guy toting the fuel etc. i think my main drive for the small pack is because they said it could not be done but i believe with WB help and hiking even can be done:banana:D the fishing gear will be strapped to the outer of the pack so there is no concern with that

Mtn Scout
12-25-2010, 04:40
and please excuse my lack of proper punctuation and spelling

Mtn Scout
12-25-2010, 04:45
and if your wondering why i am up so late i am on the phone with verizon trying to activate one of santa's gifts

Rocket Jones
12-25-2010, 09:08
Clothing choices is going to depend on the weather you expect, and that's impossible to predict right now. Late Spring? Early Spring? Area headed to?

Simple answer: base layer, insulating layer, shell layer. Need one for hiking, maybe extra insulation for fishing time. Extra one of each for in camp.

YMMV, but that's where I'd start.

Mtn Scout
12-25-2010, 23:18
it will be beginning of march. headed to the chattooga river area. i know it will be chilly during the day from being in the water so i am thinking a layer of fleece for bed time. i will be sleeping in a 25 degree marmot bag on a foam pad in a hammock

10-K
12-25-2010, 23:56
A gallon of water is a lot to carry....