PDA

View Full Version : A Hiker's Christmas

Mother Natures Son
12-25-2010, 08:27
What did you get this Christmas for hiking? I gave my wife a nice pair of boots and she can't wait untill we get on the trail to try them out!

SawnieRobertson
12-25-2010, 10:45
What did you get this Christmas for hiking? I gave my wife a nice pair of boots and she can't wait untill we get on the trail to try them out!

Give me enough time to enjoy one of the Royal Riviera pears that arrived from a special friend in Oregon last delivery last night, Christmas Eve, and my cup of Boca Java coffee surrounded by the sweet sounds of a CD put together by my daughter and her husband in Taos (also arrived last night). I've got to spend time, sitting here at my dining table within an arc formed by the AT, looking out the window at a beautiful snow-frosted scene.

Got the picture? Well, look over there at the ten big packages filled with trail gear that I had specified in my letter to Santa. It's going to be a great day!
--Kinnickinic:banana

Ladytrekker
12-25-2010, 11:31
I got myself a Mont-bell Super Spiral #1 Sleeping Bag. We do not commercially celebrate Christmas (not a religious thing it is a going in debt thing) so we just get together and have a family dinner for Christmas works great for us. But I did indulge myself a little. Not to mention I am in Florida and its has been in the low numbers and my 45 degree is not keeping me warm on the trail. And no snow for us. Happy Holidays.

Mismatch
12-25-2010, 12:12
I got a pair of Salomon Cosmic 4d GTX boots and a REI summit pack (flash 18). My grandparents got me a Spot (they're always worrying). All in all a great Christmas. Can't wait to get out on the trail!

10-K
12-25-2010, 12:13
I got a pair of lightweight Nikon binoculars! Just what I've been wanting to recognize landmarks from the mountaintops around here....

rjjones
12-25-2010, 12:15
For christmas this year i was given the green light to buy all the backpacking equipment i need in Jan,when its on sale.Tent,stove,water treatment and misc.Cant wait to take my next step towards my backpacking goals.Merry christmas to all.RJ

Storm
12-25-2010, 12:44
Got a Campmor 20 degree bag, some nylon pants, a fire steel and a book on wilderness survival. I'm starting to think someone wants me out of the house. :)

CinciJP
12-25-2010, 13:32
I got an unexpected gift of a NeoAir. Friends are great! :)

tenn_hiker
12-25-2010, 13:43
i got a 55 degree sleeping bag for my section hike this summer and some guide books and maps. cant wait to hit the trail!!

4eyedbuzzard
12-25-2010, 14:14
I got a Western Mountaineering!!! Caribou sleeping bag! I actually got it as a Hanukkah present. For Christmas I got a pair of snowshoes. Multiculturalism has its benefits. Thanks wifey!

The Counselor
12-25-2010, 14:22
I got hyperflow water filter, a great fleece pullover, some hand warmers, a hundred buck gift card to Bass Pro Shops for some boots, and a great new fishing hat. Now if I can just get over this strep in time for my planned overnight in the Sipsey Wilderness Wednesday, I'll be set. Merry Christmas!

beartripper
12-25-2010, 15:34
Twenty-two pack of Packit Gormet food. Now I think I need a new pot to hold this. I was looking at the Evernew Ti 1.3L, but a lot of the reviews of this product have got
me to wondering if this is really what I need. Happy Holidays!

Rain Man
12-25-2010, 18:34
Tikka XP headlamp (the one with the red light too).
Gift card to Mast General Store.
Mount Washington bandanna.
and three AT books I don't already have:

"The Laughalachian Trail" by Tom Waite
"Three Hundred Zeros" by Dennis Blandchard
"Becoming Odeyssa" by Jennifer Pharr Davis

I know what I'll be doing for the next few days!

And maybe we should ask what hiking stuff we GAVE to others?

I gave down mittens, some water- and wind-proof Columbia outer gloves, a balaclava, and belt/fanny pack.

Rain:sunMan

STICK
12-25-2010, 18:56
Panasonic Lumix FH20 Camera
MountainSmith Camera Carrying Bag & a LowePro Camera Carry Bag
Extra Battery & a 8 GB SDHC Class 6 Card
ZPacks Cuben Fiber CloudKilt
ZPacks Cuben Fiber Pack Cover
ULA Circuit

These are just the hiking things...

I got my wifey a new TNF Triclimate jacket. She has been a little envious of mine for a while, however hers is a little "better" than mine. It has pit zips...(Not that I use mine for hiking...well, I do take the liner with me on trips in the winter, at least until I get a new MontBell UL Down Inner...)

couscous
12-25-2010, 19:07
A custom suspension for one of my hammocks and a good hiking shirt from my daughter.
http://www.jeffdunham.com/shop/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/5e06319eda06f020e43594a9c230972d/f/i/file_7.png

Rocket Jones
12-25-2010, 19:10
The best thing I got was hugs from the kids and granddaughter.

Next best was word from my son-in-law that he wants to go with on a planned 3-day April hike in Shenandoah.

A big 20-liter drysack food bag.
A Photon Freedom.
A Polartec Buff
Cambridge Pocket Star Atlas
MP3 player that uses a AAA battery for power.

dirty coyote
12-27-2010, 22:13
The wife gave me a trip out to Cody Lundin's Aboriginal Living Skills School to go to an adventure course. Cool !

skinewmexico
12-28-2010, 10:54
I got a Western Mountaineering!!! Caribou sleeping bag! I actually got it as a Hanukkah present. For Christmas I got a pair of snowshoes. Multiculturalism has its benefits. Thanks wifey!

I think that's cheating!

I bought too much gear all year, so I was forced to buy a new carbon road bike. And "The Primal Diet" book.

58starter
12-28-2010, 11:45
I got a new Spitfire 1 tent and 15degree Casper sleeping bag, already set them up and love them. The sleeping bag is a long as I am 6'2" 225