PDA

View Full Version : Rei blowout on high quality down bag

Wise Old Owl
12-25-2010, 13:20
http://www.rei.com/product/780903

750 DOWN AND 29 OUNCES.

khumbukat
12-25-2010, 13:27
Great deal. The only reason I don't have one, is 57" shoulder girth. Very snug. Happy Trails.

Rain Man
12-25-2010, 14:08
I have this bag. A great bag, IMHO!

Rain:sunMan

P.S. Marry Christmas!

:)

thelightinside
12-25-2010, 21:24
Stuff size says 7.5 x 15...how much does it compress or is this pretty accurate?

Wise Old Owl
12-25-2010, 22:42
Think the size of a grapefruit.

Torch09
12-25-2010, 22:46
ahaha! I literally JUST bought this before getting on WB! Been watching for a good down bag (finally ready to upgrade from years of synthetics) and decided this one was the best deal out there. Hope its as good as I've heard!

Spogatz
12-25-2010, 23:14
I couldn't fit one shoulder in that thing. I need something with some ROOM....

Colter
12-25-2010, 23:33
Think the size of a grapefruit.

For the stuffed bag? 7.5 x 15 inches is the stated size of the stuff sack. I'm sure it could be compressed more, but not to the size of a grapefruit.

Tinker
12-25-2010, 23:41
Great deal. The only reason I don't have one, is 57" shoulder girth. Very snug. Happy Trails.

That's quite snug. You'd need to be a pencil to get inside with any clothing on. My chest is a 46, I have broad shoulders, I'm told, and I can barely squeeze into a 60" circumference bag with underwear on only.

STICK
12-26-2010, 02:11
Yep, I wouldn't fit either, but if you can it may be a good deal.

bigcranky
12-26-2010, 10:02
The women's model is also on sale:
http://www.rei.com/product/780921

My daughter has this bag (actually the original unisex version.) It's a high quality bag for a good price, but yeah, it's a snug fit mummy.

Rain Man
12-26-2010, 14:50
My daughter has this bag (actually the original unisex version.) It's a high quality bag for a good price...

Yep, I should've said, my wife has the women's version, which our youngest daughter uses all the time. Again, a great bag. Neither wife nor I are tiny slender people, but the bags seem to work for us just fine. Thankfully. Our other bags are Holubar (no longer in business) and the fit seems about the same, so I have nothing else to compare them to.

STICK
12-26-2010, 15:46
Measuring around my shoulders I am ~ 53". I laid in a WM Ultralight and zipped it up and felt a little confined, which measures 59" at the shoulders. Maybe I spread out when I lay down...but it felt like with anything more than a light baselayer on I would feel too uncomfortable. My Helium measures 62" across the shoulders and that is just right. Gives me plenty of room to roll around in without feeling constrained as well as add additional layers if needed. So, I am pretty sure that I couldn't zip up the zipper on a 57" shoulder girth...

Now my wife on the other hand could...easily...

Wise Old Owl
12-26-2010, 16:11
For the stuffed bag? 7.5 x 15 inches is the stated size of the stuff sack. I'm sure it could be compressed more, but not to the size of a grapefruit.

No I dump the stuff bags... I substitute sill Sea to Summit and yes its wider at the bottom.... I loose an ounce and win on size.

thelightinside
12-26-2010, 17:50
So I'm planning to thru nobo starting in mid March. I currently have a (synthetic) Eureka Casper 15 and am seriously considering buying the women's version of this Sub Kilo. The Casper is too long, but I'm 5'6" and the Sub Kilo says it fits up to that. What's better: way too long or snug? I've never had a down bag either so the whole "worthless when wet" thing concerns me.

Somebody please talk me into or out of buying this thing before I make a shotgun decision (or miss out on a deal)!

bigcranky
12-26-2010, 19:07
"Way too long" is too long. You need to heat up all that extra space. "Snug" may be too short, though. You really need to try out the bag -- and REI will take it back, no questions asked. (And you can return it at a store if you want to save return shipping.)

Keeping a down bag dry is really a lot easier than some people make out. Get a waterproof stuff sack, like the Granite Gear or O.R. roll top silnyon bags. Take moderate care with the bag. It'll be fine.

Rain Man
12-26-2010, 19:10
What's better: way too long or snug? I've never had a down bag either so the whole "worthless when wet" thing concerns me.

This is just personal opinion and my experience, but I've never had a down bag get wet on the AT. A little damp maybe, but never wet. Your own body heat tends to "dry out" clothes and bags overnight anyway.

Also, I prefer long bags, so that I can put my shoes in a plastic bag and stuff 'em into the bottom of my sleeping bag on cold nights. I have NEVER had to put on frozen shoes/boots in the morning, nor tie frozen shoe laces.

BradMT
12-27-2010, 00:35
57" shoulder girth is for kids, not adults.

Wise Old Owl
12-27-2010, 10:53
So I'm planning to thru nobo starting in mid March. I currently have a (synthetic) Eureka Casper 15 and am seriously considering buying the women's version of this Sub Kilo. The Casper is too long, but I'm 5'6" and the Sub Kilo says it fits up to that. What's better: way too long or snug? I've never had a down bag either so the whole "worthless when wet" thing concerns me.

Somebody please talk me into or out of buying this thing before I make a shotgun decision (or miss out on a deal)!

5'6" vertical is 5'10" horizontal - your feet flop down for comfort, if you forget about this the feet pull the hood around the head and you would be uncomfortable at night.

You don't miss out on a deal - remember you can order it , try it at home, sleep in the backyard - don't like it send it back

flemdawg1
12-27-2010, 12:51
5'6" vertical is 5'10" horizontal - your feet flop down for comfort, if you forget about this the feet pull the hood around the head and you would be uncomfortable at night.

You don't miss out on a deal - remember you can order it , try it at home, sleep in the backyard - don't like it send it back

Not neccesarily, it depends on how you lay when you sleep. I'm 6', and never even felt constricted using bags for 6 fters due me curling up when I lay down.

Spokes
12-27-2010, 13:08
Drats! That is too tight a shoulder size. My Marmot Helium is 62" and at times feels tight.