PDA

View Full Version : Would you go?

10-K
12-25-2010, 13:48
I'm packed up and ready to head to Davenport Gap and hike back to Erwin (102 miles) in the morning and am wondering if I should attempt it or not. Looks like a least of foot of snow, probably more in the higher elevations.

Alternatives are to start at Hot Springs (70 miles), Allen Gap (50ish miles) or even Devil's Fork Gap (32 miles).

No problem with gear/clothing/safety issues - I'm just wondering if it would be such a tough slog that it wouldn't be much fun. I was hiking in 14" of snow about this time last year in New York and it was quite a lot of work.....

Lone Wolf
12-25-2010, 13:51
give it a shot. life is short. plenty of places to bail. have fun, take pics

restless
12-25-2010, 13:53
Being from that area, I can attest as to how brutal it can be hiking in deep snow. I worked up at LeConte for a season and it is tough hiking in deep snow, especially if post holing. It would probably be tough going up Snowbird and, depending on wind, Max Patch as well. If you have the time, I would try something shorter first and then maybe do something more afterwards. Look at weather for the next 10 days or so and go from that. Good luck!!

mweinstone
12-25-2010, 14:06
dont listen to him. max patch! the easyest thing to do is go and find out its a no go and come back. missing max patch all to yourself building snowmen? priceless. theres allways the hope the wind will have been right to leave the way clear. or that the crust will allow the best smoothest walking. and,..theirs the chance the trail will be icepack and horrid runoff . gamble. and win the best max patch visit of the year. you can close the patch.and then hike on snow that fills the gaps between the rocks and allows miles of easy hikin. you know those days in the snow are the best. dont make me sit here and watch you take the old man trip. go for it youngin!.make lots of photos.

mweinstone
12-25-2010, 14:09
sorry, should have said , snowperson.

Lone Wolf
12-25-2010, 14:13
sorry, should have said , snowperson.

you PC liberal weenie sheepperson

fehchet
12-25-2010, 14:52
Go for it. Take your time. Have fun. And, yes, "take pics".

C-Stepper
12-25-2010, 15:29
I'm going to the Smokies tomorrow...more worried about the drive than the hike. I'd only planned a lazy 10 miles/ day, still doable in deep snow.

Tipi Walter
12-25-2010, 15:32
If it's bad you can struggle to get to a great spot and set up camp and hunker in for 4 or 5 days. This is what I do when the snow is too deep or the snow hangs on brush over the trail and you can't walk anyway. Sit put and enjoy it.

CrumbSnatcher
12-25-2010, 15:35
go for it! take some lightweight snow shoes with ya:cool:

TheChop
12-25-2010, 15:50
No because I'm a huge wuss but you should definitely do it.

Rocket Jones
12-25-2010, 19:18
If you're experienced with winter hiking and camping then why not? If not experienced, then I'd recommend getting that experience in a less extreme situation.

10-K
12-25-2010, 19:43
The latest update says there's up to 2' of snow in the higher elevations between Hot Springs and Davenport Gap.

I think I'm going to dial it back and hike from Devil's Fork Gap to Erwin. I know that section like the back of my hand and when I get back to Erwin I'll go up to Iron Mt. Gap and hike back to Erwin again..

wrongway_08
12-25-2010, 21:05
Go for it! Even with the 2 feet of snow. Would make a good Parade Of Fools trip.

10-K
12-25-2010, 21:13
I'm going to check it out in the morning and decide. The absolute worse is that I'll start from Erwin and hike south and see how far I can get.

Right now I'm thinking Hot Springs / Allen's Gap / Devil's Fork Gap, depending on how much we get tonight and what the roads look like in the morning.

10-K
12-26-2010, 09:01
Still snowing like crazy and calling for up to 5 more inches here in the valley.

I'm going to try and make it over to Devil's Fork Gap in a few hours and see if I can get back to Erwin.

I can't wait to see how much snow is on top of Big Bald!

mweinstone
12-26-2010, 09:17
those of us with springer feaver fighting for our lives need not hear more of your galavantings sir.

tell big bald matty says high!

10-K
12-26-2010, 09:26
those of us with springer feaver fighting for our lives need not hear more of your galavantings sir.

tell big bald matty says high!

I'm sorry Matty, I never thought of it like that.

I will convey your greetings!

mweinstone
12-26-2010, 09:31
is carvers gap between the balds? whats that post say down in the low spot?

mweinstone
12-26-2010, 09:38
you know hiking out of town in a snowstorm for the trail is the best dont you. the highest a hiker can hope for is the roads close behind him as he shuts off the radio and heads for the top.and huge flakes the size of tortillas start as the car door slams. and apon reaching camp , falling asleep and wakeing up in the morning, the snow has piled high. ahh, the posthole back ! still...the best.its part being alone on the mountain, part challenging the mountain and part visual perfection observed. i hate you now. i will ask my god for forgiveness.leave! drive now! hurry! ahhahahahhah!