PDA

View Full Version : thinking of thru hike in march or april

valiweva
12-25-2010, 15:23
hi,my name is valiweva and I'm 58 years old and live in Mass. I hope
God willing ,I will be on the trail when it officially opens.A couple work/family items to work out but a bad day hiking is better than a good day of work.

4eyedbuzzard
12-25-2010, 16:14
The trail itself is always officially open. Are you going NOBO or SOBO? Baxter State Park closes to camping in winter (Oct 15 thru May ?), but the trail is open and you can still climb Katahdin.

valiweva
12-25-2010, 16:39
Nobo starting. @Springer

Tinker
12-26-2010, 00:16
Interesting trail name, Mark. How did you get it?
Tinker -one who "fixes" things that don't necessarily need fixin'.
I have a link to my '06 Ga. section which I did with the wave of NOBOs in March.
Here: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=13776&highlight=tinker+Akto
There is another link to my Webshots photos in the above link. Enjoy.
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

StormBird
12-26-2010, 04:46
I'm not sure what your question is.

The trail is an amazing experience that I would recommend to almost anyone. Go for it if it works out with your life experiences!:)

sparky2000
12-26-2010, 07:19
Many have suggested that one would be wise (?) to do a week long "get the legs ready" shakedown before starting th NoBo - u'le get the feel of backpacking and answer many questions by ur experience. Take a week off then begin.

sparky2000
12-26-2010, 07:19
Many have suggested that one would be wise (?) to do a week long "get the legs ready" shakedown before starting th NoBo - u'le get the feel of backpacking and answer many questions by ur experience. Take a week off then begin.

TheChop
12-26-2010, 23:27
Hike the entire thing in May or April? Good luck with that but I'm sure Lone Wolf will be by soon to say it can't be done.

Do it. Get out and do it.

lonewolftrekker
12-27-2010, 17:53
2010 I started March 5th leaving myself plenty of time too finish by Oct. 15th. My problem was I was rushing still to keep up with the friends I was hiking with... I hurt myself... I made it to MA but collapsed in the heat. this year I am starting early again, possibly starting in Alabama/Arkansas whatever that state is...to GA to ME... every step is worth it. this time I am not going to push it...Man I am walking with life and possibly to Katadin this year... so I would go earlier if you dont mind some ankle deep sno.

Blissful
12-27-2010, 18:10
but a bad day hiking is better than a good day of work.

You will be tested on this, guaranteed. Can be some tough days on the trail. :) But a lifetime experience

4eyedbuzzard
12-27-2010, 18:22
Yeah, maybe Alabama. Then again, maybe Arkansas. So many "A" states. Pretty confusing. Is the postal code for Arkansas AR or AK? Whatever, it's something like that anyway. I'd go to Alabama if for no other reason it would avoid confusion with those post office state codes. Lord only know where you might wind up if you use the wrong one. Maybe a map might help.

DapperD
12-29-2010, 22:29
hi,my name is valiweva and I'm 58 years old and live in Mass. I hope
God willing ,I will be on the trail when it officially opens.A couple work/family items to work out but a bad day hiking is better than a good day of work.This is so true! The trail may eventually begin to seem like work at times, but at least you will be your own boss:D Have a great hike!