PDA

View Full Version : Ridge Walk Section Hike, May 2011

MikeK
12-25-2010, 17:24
Planning a 5 day section hike in late May and looking for some advice/suggestions. Both myself and partner are experienced AT hikers and have done GA (multiple times), western section of GSMNP (Fontana to Clingmans), and a piece of SNP (north of Rockfish Gap). My hiking partner is requesting this section be primarily ridge walking with great views. Any state is open for consideration, but minimizing air travel time from FL and relatively good logistics support (shuttle providers, road access, nearby hostels/hotels) a plus. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Thanks
Mike

10-K
12-25-2010, 17:48
What about starting at Clingmans and going north for 5 days. Don't know about your hiking speed but Hot Springs is 75 miles up the trail - that would be 15 mpd...

Kerosene
12-25-2010, 19:05
Other options might be:
Max Patch to Sams Gap
Carvers Gap (Roan Mtn.) to Damascus
Hampton to Massie Gap
Damascus to Atkins

If flying, you'd probably fly into Tri-Cities Airport (TRI) near Johnson City, TN for each of these. There are a number of reliable shuttlers running out of Erwin and Damascus.

You'll get some great views with each of these hikes, but I don't think that there is a 5-day, all-ridgeline hike with great views along the AT -- you're going to have to climb some mountains to get the views!

rdljr
12-25-2010, 20:03
If you are ok with a bit of snow/ice and want some of the best views to be had, the Whites in NH have a lot of great ridge line to walk and flights from FL to NH are cheap and plentiful and the shuttles and hut should be open sometime in late May. Best of all it is pre-bug and pre tourist season.
RDL