PDA

View Full Version : So what did you get?

GeneralLee10
12-25-2010, 20:43
Now the Christmas is over what did everyone get? Did you get what you asked for? Did you get more than you asked for?

I got a Patagonia Nano Puff P/O.

wrongway_08
12-25-2010, 21:01
Got a Smart Wool beenie hat from my lady. Always loose them and they are one of my favorite pieces of gear. Ready for the winter hiking again!

Trailbender
12-25-2010, 21:32
Nothing, I have neither given or received gifts in years, I don't really need anything. My friends know by now how I feel about consumerism, so they know not to get me anything.

TheChop
12-25-2010, 21:34
A pedometer for my thru-hike...

It's solar powered.

Sierra Echo
12-25-2010, 21:34
I got a tom tom. Now i have good directions for those times i set out looking for trouble~!

Torch09
12-25-2010, 22:58
Tons of cash... the most thoughtful gift possible from people who don't understand the benefits of a poncho tarp...

WhoDey
12-25-2010, 23:08
Marmot Aegis jacket. It passed the shower test so its now time to test it in the field

Mtn Scout
12-25-2010, 23:27
comp bag, super cool flat knife, butane pocket torch, hiking meals, fuel bottles, etc i got loaded up!!!

Tinker
12-25-2010, 23:37
Regifted cotton socks from my son :p, regifted toothpaste from same, nuts and fruit from my wife and several friends. No hiking gear. None needed. I have enough to outfit a Boy Scout troop already. Best gift is yet to come - snow on Sun/Mon.
I might get the XC skis out early this year (I need to test my knee before I instruct in Feb.). It's been unusually sore lately. I hope it's nothing.
I am rich in friends, poor in cash, but, I'm never too broke to give thanks.

Graywolf
12-26-2010, 00:08
Absolutly nothing. But thats ok. As I sat there watching everyone else open presents, I began to congure up my next trip. So at least I didnt go way with nothing..:D

Graywolf

SweetAss03
12-26-2010, 00:46
Six moons Lunar duo! Now if this snow would go away!

Trailweaver
12-26-2010, 03:43
Channel # 5. My family doesn't know what gear to buy so they leave that to me. I will hit a gear store sometime before spring and get something new, I'm sure, but until then, I'll just smile sweetly when I spritz on Channel # 5.

restless
12-26-2010, 07:27
A job........and an apartment.

Mrs Baggins
12-26-2010, 08:07
Hubby filled my stocking with bags of beef jerky, M&Ms, smoked almonds, and peanut butter cups "so you can have lots of snacks to take on your day hikes." :)

Northern Lights
12-26-2010, 10:56
Platypus wine preserver, bear vault, soloist cook set and a leatherman wave. All fantastic gifts!

gunner76
12-26-2010, 11:06
I got a thread injector for DIY projects

jdb
12-26-2010, 11:10

Good For You!:banana

I got a couple light North Face Fleeces that will come in handy.

My son got a subscription to Backpacker Mag. I've never looked at it until now. Looks pretty good read.

tawa
12-26-2010, 11:10
A flashing green light---saying go for it---Just Do It!! Translation a wonderful wife telling this ole warrior with a restless soul and a deep desire for tru adventure to go for it.
The setting was late summer---setting on our back deck --watching the sun go down--my mind had been constantly preoccupied with one of these two dreams--since retiring---she knows me --she asks --whats wrong--what are u thinking about--lol--told her she didnt really want to know---after getting the look and badgering --I told her--I eed a new challenge and want to either cycle across the US or thru hike the AT trail---waiting for the *#1*!** to hit the fan--she smiles and says well-----whats holding u back!!!! YeeeeeHahhhh Tawa received the gift of a lifetime a green light to get rolling!!! Awesome stuff----awesome lady!
Hows that for an early Christmas gift!
Happy New Year

pistol p
12-26-2010, 12:02

Nice. The basics are the best! ;)

pistol p
12-26-2010, 12:03
Patron Silver......Dad knows best.

:D

swash
12-26-2010, 12:15
Alps Mountaineering Zephyr 2 tent, REI membership, lots of REI giftcards

bishopj
12-26-2010, 12:36
Got a nice new pair of boot really nice first time got boots that fit right for xmas

mweinstone
12-26-2010, 12:39
a callfrom jester, witch i ignored
a call from lwolf, witch i ignored
a call from max, witch i took
a call from my brother, witch i took
a call from my friend eric, witch i ignored
a call from a collection company, witch i took
a visit from cammo jack i tryed to ignore and his half a box of ginger snaps
a box from HiKen2011 in dalonga with food and bucks i couldnt refuse but wish i could cause hes poor.
an email from my freind in cali whos 73 with a poem that im glad she sent

and the #1 thing i got was,...
the call from lwolf, witch i ignored

Buzz Saw
12-26-2010, 12:44
black diamond trail shock hiking poles, Ipod, water proof compression sack for my sleeping bag, new pack cover, and like Tawa the blessings from my most wonderful wife for a thru hike this spring. Life is good.

Lone Wolf
12-26-2010, 12:47
chinese food buzz

Smooth & Wasabi
12-26-2010, 12:49
Full set of maps for the Adirondacks, baselayers, extra platys, and hopefully soon from myself some new backcountry ski boots. Merry Christmas!

hobbs
12-26-2010, 12:53
A gift card from my brother. Fudge from my sister inlaw. New Mountain hardwear gaitors. A zpack tarp comes feb. A new jetbil companion cup. Msr quart pan. I didn't have to talk to my sister. Thats priceless!!!

Tabasco
12-26-2010, 12:57
A pair of too thin, too small SmartWool socks. Socks sized for size 11.5 shoes, and I wear 14's. Brother-in-law. 'Nuff said.

STICK
12-26-2010, 13:02
Panasonic Lumix FH20 Camera with an extra battery & a 8 GB SDHC Class 6 card
A MountainSmith and a LowePro Camera Case (The LowePro is lighter but the MS is more convenient)
ZPacks Cuben Fiber CloudKilt & Pack Cover
ULA Circuit

I think that is it as far as hiking gear is concerned...

The best present I got was to be with my family and friends...to see their smiling faces and have a good time with them without being called in to work...

It was a great holiday...

jerseydave
12-26-2010, 13:25
Santa was good to me.

Eureka spitfire, small inexpensive HA cookset, baselayer stuff, SNP guide book, some fleece stuff, all off of my wishlist.

Thank you Santa........ he did good by everyone in the family this year, unfortunately I fear next Christmas may be a bit "lean" for us do to some job related issues I see on the horizon so I'm glad St. Nicholas allowed us a nice Christmas this year.

Hope everyone enjoyed their Holidays

Dave

SullyJoe
12-27-2010, 19:48
A pair of glittens
A wool hat lined entirely with fleece(which for some reason is hard to come by)
A pair of ice trekker diamond grips (started testing these out, and so far they are awrsome - they really work on every surface!)
Hiking socks (can't have too many)
A pair of convertable pants
And a lighter knife
Every last piece of gear i needed for my thru starting in feb. I am sooooo excited!
Oh, and a first aid kit (mom is always thinking of my safety)

Ox97GaMe
12-27-2010, 19:57
I got a new 3 season Kelty tent and a Jacks R Better underquilt for my Hennessey. And then I was told to go to the woods to try them out. The underquilt is heavenly, even with all this snow and cold weather. The tent stayed home this time. Maybe I will try it out next weekend. :)

sbhikes
12-27-2010, 20:07
A Go-lite chrome. My old one had at least 3000 miles on it and was full of holes. I got lots of cookies, too. My mom is at that stage of life where she's going through old photos and giving them to her kids, so I got a book with my baby and kid pictures in it. Oh the horror of those 70s and 80s clothes and hairstyles.

jeremesh
12-27-2010, 20:54
Enough REI gift cards to get my Osprey Atmos 65.

BigHodag
12-27-2010, 21:53
My spouse gave me the Ursack (http://ursack.com) I have been coveting. Seems she actually listened to me this past fall when I was asked what I needed/wanted for Christmas.

http://youtu.be/So-8czr7bGU

Look forward to using this in NJ rather than tossing lines over branches.

Blissful
12-27-2010, 21:58
No hiking gear this year from others. I bought myself two pairs of trail runners for spring and summer hiking.

Panzer1
12-27-2010, 22:01
a callfrom jester, witch i ignored
a call from lwolf, witch i ignored
a call from max, witch i took
a call from my brother, witch i took
a call from my friend eric, witch i ignored
a call from a collection company, witch i took
a visit from cammo jack i tryed to ignore and his half a box of ginger snaps
a box from HiKen2011 in dalonga with food and bucks i couldnt refuse but wish i could cause hes poor.
an email from my freind in cali whos 73 with a poem that im glad she sent

and the #1 thing i got was,...
the call from lwolf, witch i ignored

ha ha ha.. I was smart enough to send a text message
you can't ignore that. :banana

Panzer

redwing
12-27-2010, 22:08
Got a Tarptent Contrail and it brought my pack weight down to 19.5#:sun

soulslosher
12-27-2010, 22:36
Gregory Z55
Stove
Montrail Mountain Masochist GTX Trail Runners

I'll be using all of them on my thru. :-)

Feral Bill
12-28-2010, 01:17
Barefoot Sisters Southbound. Those women can write!

rapchizzle
12-28-2010, 09:38
I got a sweet marine portable VHF radio and marine handheld GPS. Gotta get the tough waterproof stuff with all the time I spend on the water

milk
12-29-2010, 00:11
I bought myself an Osprey Aether 60L pack

My lil bro got me
petzl tikka plus 2
ems baselayer shirt
Platypus 1L
Sea to summit 8L dry sack
Ems Med pack cover (returning cuz the sinch cord sucks)

My aunt gave me
A full day of snowboarding
REI baselayer pants

My mom gave me vibram shoes

Nice take I recon

mcskinney
12-29-2010, 02:57
Nesco dehydrator
R.E.I. gift card which I spent on a replacement midweight baselayer and a drysack and some maps.

I gave used books.

Namaste
12-29-2010, 10:22
I didn't get the knee replacement :). In fact, no hiking stuff. I like to buy what I need when I need it.

Don H
12-29-2010, 10:34
I think I got the green light for a thru from my wife. She gave me toe warmers, hand warmers, a new Olympus Stylus Tough 8010 with extra batteries and memory chip, and some trail mix.

inabag
12-29-2010, 16:57
From others to me:
Fleece Balaclava
6oz Daypack
Mora Knife and custom sheath
a number of books about the AT

From me to me:
Gram weenie pro
Evernew pot
Montbell #5
Long sleeve baselayer

Was a good xmas for backpacking.

Yahtzee
12-29-2010, 17:21
Leki-like hiking pole with LED lamp on top of the handle. Can't wait to see how the light projects on a night-hike.

Mrs Baggins
12-30-2010, 12:58
Just got a package from my sister - - a screw-apart plastic wine goblet, a plastic whiskey "glass" (both from REI), a small bottle of Merlot, a small bottle of Jack Daniel's, and a note: "Merry Christmas! There is no reason one cannot be civilized whilst one is on the trail." ;) Love it!

Morning Glory
12-30-2010, 15:18
A Jetboil Flash. Can't wait to try it out.

Wise Old Owl
12-30-2010, 15:20
3/4 underquilt in camo!

http://www.hammockgear.com/cart/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=3_6

Namaste
12-30-2010, 16:12
Just got a package from my sister - - a screw-apart plastic wine goblet, a plastic whiskey "glass" (both from REI), a small bottle of Merlot, a small bottle of Jack Daniel's, and a note: "Merry Christmas! There is no reason one cannot be civilized whilst one is on the trail." ;) Love it!

Fabulous package of goodies! I agree.

Turtle Feet
12-30-2010, 16:34
As far as hiking gear...

Ti-TriCaldera Cone

Feathered Friends Booties

Benchmade Mini-Griptilian Knife

TREK! dvd

"Footpath My Ass" book

I have a very kind and generous family!!!