PDA

View Full Version : Snow on Springer?

wacocelt
12-21-2004, 18:01
Howdy folks, is there snow on Springer now and if so, will there be more than a foot or so on the 1st of January do you think? I intend to buy snowshoes, but was hoping to be able to wait until just before the Smokies, any infromation/advice from folks that have hiked that region during this phase or just live in the area would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance, be well!

Christopher

orangebug
12-21-2004, 20:25
Save your money on snow shoes until Gatlinburg, if you even do it then. Instep crampons for ice may be useful. You will be very fortunate to see a foot of snow in Georgia, and much more likely to see ice.

wacocelt
12-21-2004, 20:55
My wife has been suggesting crampons, can anyone give me a low end price estimate on a set, please? Looks like I may just be taking it real easy and pumping out some killer 5 to 8 mile days. LOL
I'm gonna hike even if I have to start barefoot! Thanks for the heads up nonetheless OB!

stickman
12-21-2004, 22:37
The little four point instep crampons really saved my butt on a winter trip in teh Grand Canyon a couple of years ago. They are great for walking on but unsuitable for actual climbing. Campmore sells two kinds for between $7.00 and $30.00. I highly recommend getting a pair if hiking in icy conditions is a possibliity. They are also way better than Yaktrax, IMO.

Stickman

Percival
12-22-2004, 00:01
Is there really any performance difference between Ice Walkers and Instep Crampons? I'm looking at the ones at the campmor site.

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=47940&memberId=12500226

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=47886&memberId=12500226

Budster the Great
12-22-2004, 01:58
Is there really any performance difference between Ice Walkers and Instep Crampons?

Yes.

I have both, having bought the Ice Walkers first (because they were inexpensive). Unless you have an abnormally high tolerance for annoyance and personal risk, buy the Instep Crampons. The Ice Walkers slip, rotate, come off....

Safety Tips: the Instep Crampons are hinged in the middle, with a little nut/bolt holding them together. First, before every hike, check the nut/bolt on each one for tightness. Second, go to your local bolt supply place, get a couple extras of that nut/bolt combo, and bring the extras every time you use the crampons.

(I didn't do those things and now I have a lovely scar on my knee--which could have been MUCH worse.)

wacocelt
12-22-2004, 13:15
Great info and input folks, thanks! I'm going to be passing on snowshoes, even through the Smokies, and buying a pair of crampons, though i'm going to have to either a) buy them at Neel's Gap or b) have my wife buy them while I'm hiking and send them ahead, since getting my last few articles of clothing and bus ticket to Gainesville have tapped my current gear allowances. I'll just go real slow and pick my steps very carefully until I get them.
Thanks again for the responses!

Christopher