PDA

View Full Version : How is the trail near srpinger now?

Cooldays
12-26-2010, 08:59
Is there more than a few inches of snow already anywhere? Can you follow the trail at this point? Is it crazy to do a section now. (I like the snow just not 2 to 3 feet of snow)

Thanks!

cooldays

Awol1970
12-26-2010, 09:45
Four or five years ago I drove up to the parking lot @ Springer on a Friday when there was a hint of a rumor of snow in the North GA mountains. I hiked up to the shelter just when the snow started to fall and was treated to 8" of powder the next morning. When i drove back down Sunday it became apparent that the only snow was above 2500'.

It is all about elevation in GA. On Monday when I went to work everyone was shocked to see snow drifted up high in the bed of my pickup. While we have an inch or snow on the ground in Atlanta right now it wouldn't surprise me in the least if there was a up to a foot or more on the peaks. That being said, I'd go in a heartbeat.

FatMan
12-26-2010, 11:16
Five to six inches at Grassy Gap (18 miles north on the trail) with more falling. I would not try to drive down FS42 to Springer right now, but I suppose it could be passable in the right vehicle with the right tires.

It is absolutely beautiful outside. I plan on booting up shortly and hitting the trail for a walk with the dogs.