PDA

View Full Version : Itchy wool mitts

Percival
12-21-2004, 19:37
I just bought a pair of Dachstein boiled wool mitts, and they itch. They also shed wool fibers on my hand when I take them off. Any solution?

orangebug
12-21-2004, 20:16
Glove liners.

I like Smartwools, as they work well for handling hot pots.

Percival
12-21-2004, 23:39
I have glove liners and the wool mitts shed all over them. Main problem is they itch, with or without glove liners.

DebW
12-22-2004, 11:15
I just bought a pair of Dachstein boiled wool mitts, and they itch. They also shed wool fibers on my hand when I take them off. Any solution?

I have Dachstein mitts and love them, but mine are about 25 years old. I did buy a couple pairs for friends 2 years ago at Campmor and they seemed a little different than my old ones. Wool does vary in softness/scratchiness depending on wool quality. A few coarse fibers can be pretty noticable. Have you worn them in very cold conditions, or just tried them briefly? Wool always seems much scratchier when you are too warm wearing it, unbearable when you are sweating, and comfortable when you need its warmth. Not sure if this is real or psychological. Give them a chance on an overnight trip at 10F or below. I bet you'll like them then. Sorry I can't offer more practical advice.

bailcor
12-22-2004, 11:26
Go to www.zyflex.com and click on accessories. Click on Thermal Mittens.
Only 2.8 oz's, fleece lined, highly wind and water resistance. Only $14.00.
I recently used them in below 0 temperature.

orangebug
12-22-2004, 20:19
Obviously, your hands itch because you aren't smart and experienced enough to deserve quality wool mittens. The reaper will welcome your fingers. Don't mess with nature.

Lobo
12-22-2004, 20:44
I think that if you hand wash your Dachsteins a few times you will remove some of the loose fibers. If you are allergic to wool, you should probably buy and wear some thin glove liners like those sold at EMS. I wore my Dachsteins and leather overmitts while camping in the Adirondack Mts. in NY many years ago when the temperatures were reportedly 20 degrees below zero. My hands never got cold but my feet did.