PDA

View Full Version : Fording streams in freezing temps. Crocs or boots?

The Counselor
12-26-2010, 13:26
Do you remove your boots and ford in crocs or similar? If so, does it take a while to get your feet back into feeling like alive parts of your body? Do you stick your wet feet right back into your socks and boots? I could see me having some serious circulation issues with this approach. Of course, if the water gets in over the tops of my boots, I suppose I'm in the same boat (or lack thereof!).

Tipi Walter
12-26-2010, 13:58
Always crocs. On a winter trip you cannot afford to get your boots wet and then frozen. They may get wet when walking thru the snow, but don't intentionally soak your boots for creek crossings---use the crocs.

wrongway_08
12-26-2010, 13:59
ditto on above

neighbor dave
12-26-2010, 14:23
leave yer boots on, bring two heavy duty contractor trash bags with you, one for each leg, procede with caution

DLANOIE
12-26-2010, 14:31
Or you could lug a pair of knee hi rubber boots.:-?:confused::rolleyes::D

Cooldays
12-26-2010, 15:15
I did 3 stream crossings to the knee in the gsmp a few weeks ago in 7 inches of snow at 32 degrees. I used neoprene socks in a pair of mesh top rubber sole sailboard booties with no insulation. the 3 oz neoprene socks and 1lb + booties kept me just fine and in fact i hiked about 3 miles in the snow with warm toes rather than keep changing my boots and and socks at each crossing.

My hiking partner put plastic bags on her feet and the wool socks outside the bags and just trudged right through letting everthing soak and she was fine. I wonder what her boots would be like the next day though.... we hiked out that evening.

I like my way better but the weight cost is significant. From now on whenever i winter camp i bring my neoprene socks at least as an emergency sock i think.

Also not sure how well it would work at realllly cold temps but near freezing it was just fine.

cooldays

mweinstone
12-26-2010, 15:40
the safe way is remove soxs,wear boot across. replace sox. hike till dry.

Wise Old Owl
12-26-2010, 15:54
Bear Grillis has demoed this numerous times ...wrap boots around your neck, garbage bag your pack - get naked... kiss your nuts good bye....

grayfox
12-26-2010, 16:29
Cold temps in any season require a different way of thinking from a usual hiker mindset. The rule, to break at your own peril, is: do not get wet. Do not get wet from outside. Do not get wet from inside. Go slow and go careful. One thing-like wet feet- might not hurt you, two things might be survivable, by the time you have three small problems at the same time--well, that is just too many things to be wrong at once. Do not let the small, avoidable, problems accumulate to make an unavoidable outcome.

What you really need to do is a risk assessment of each decision. You want to ask, 'What if...' type questions every time you take a risk that would be made more dangerous when it is cold. Like, 'What if I walk through this stream and get my boots wet and then twist my ankle on the ice along the shore and, even though the warm car is only two miles up the trail, then I get stuck out here waiting for rescue and...oops, no cell phone signal down here by the creek...now what?'

You always have to have a backup plan in winter. Like--If I get wet crossing this stream, or slip and fall in, I will be able to make a fire and dry out and get warm befor moving on. Always deal with a small problem as soon as possible. Problems tend to attract each other.

To answer the question--don't get your boots wet. Have some dry socks ready to put on. Do some exercises or move on soon and eat a few snacks because smetimes you do not realize how much energy you used up getting across the water. Crocs are good if they don't fall off easily and are not slippery when wet--mine do and are.

Ironbelly
12-26-2010, 16:53
Neoprene dive booties. Great for winter stream crossings, and as camp shoes in colder weather and in a worst case could be used to hike in though they probally wouldn't make it for more than a couple days as they are not made to be hiked in really. In summer time it's crocs.

I have tried many options for the winter and instead of dealing with wet boots and having to lug down booties for around camp I just bring the dive booties. After crossing a stream just wring them out, give them a good shake and they will either dry out fairly quickly or freeze which isn't a big deal as they are still warm at camp even if still damp/frozen and will dry fairly quickly after you put them back on.

weary
12-26-2010, 17:06
the safe way is remove soxs,wear boot across. replace sox. hike till dry.
That's been my technique, summer and winter, for the past 50 years or so. I still have both feet -- and all my toes -- so it's worked so far.

The most critical thing in cold weather, or even chilly weather, is to not fall in. So when crossing streams I use the instrument that provides the most traction and is least likely to slip on icy and slippery rocks, my boots.

veteran
12-26-2010, 18:19
Use Felt Sole neoprene boots for better traction on smooth slippery surfaces.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31mfUHbRdiL._SS500_.jpg

Highway Man
12-26-2010, 18:24
I think the water running in the mountains is cold to me no matter what season it is at. I never want to get my shoes wet to the maximum degree as much as possible. I'd wade in the stream in wet boots if my boots are already wet inside out. Otherwise, I choose to wear croc to ford the stream though it take a little while to get my feet warmed up again. I usually use upper parts of the socks to dry my feet before putting them into the shoes.

Tinker
12-26-2010, 18:38
leave yer boots on, bring two heavy duty contractor trash bags with you, one for each leg, procede with caution

Bad advice. Like canoeing in a poncho, if you fell in the water could fill up the bags (or poncho) and drown you. Happens to fishermen with waders every year.

weary
12-26-2010, 23:15
That's been my technique, summer and winter, for the past 50 years or so. I still have both feet -- and all my toes -- so it's worked so far.

The most critical thing in cold weather, or even chilly weather, is to not fall in. So when crossing streams I use the instrument that provides the most traction and is least likely to slip on icy and slippery rocks, my boots.
JUst an addendum. I've found that boots don't usually get soaked when wading most streams. JUst the surface gets wet. Dump the water, replace your socks and continue on your way. Any trapped moisture quickly dissipates.

mweinstone
12-26-2010, 23:58
i agree. but ist makeing me worry. pole shift?

Dogwood
12-27-2010, 02:58
WOO, to the pt, accurate, and funny as hell the way you phrased it!

Wil
12-27-2010, 05:18
JUst an addendum. I've found that boots don't usually get soaked when wading most streams. JUst the surface gets wet. Dump the water, replace your socks and continue on your way. Any trapped moisture quickly dissipates.In situations where I have gotten through immersion in water pretty quickly, I kick my boots and gaiters into loose snow (ideally a fluffy drift) _immediately_ on reaching shore. Acts like a sponge. Then, over time, knock/kick/peel off the resulting wet snow/ice, which has never penetrated the boot. In many cases moisture never penetrates enough for me to need to change socks.

This does draw heat from your feet as whatever insensible moisture that _has_ penetrated is driven off. So it's only practical when you know you've got a margin, where your feet are not, already, on the brink of being cold. And, obviously, the boots and gaiters must have at least a little bit of water resistance.

humunuku
12-27-2010, 13:40
I do bare feet...your feet will warm up quickly once you start hiking again

Black Wolf
12-28-2010, 22:02
I do bare feet...your feet will warm up quickly once you start hiking again

Grin and bare it...I'll keep socks on at times for traction...so long as I keep Mr.Happy dry...my feet warm back up pretty fast...although I am considering bringing along my neoprene boots for my thru...

Black Wolf
12-28-2010, 22:04
Use Felt Sole neoprene boots for better traction on smooth slippery surfaces.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31mfUHbRdiL._SS500_.jpg

I haven't worn the felt soles..my dive boots are rubber soled..I'll keep these in mind...I like 'em...

WILLIAM HAYES
12-29-2010, 00:22
I just wear my trail runners and wring out my socks

George
12-29-2010, 00:45
I use mesh runners year round take off the socks roll up the pants and put the shoes back on. The ugliest crossing I ever did was 50 ft wide 18" deep with ice on each side, I had to walk out on the ice and stomp it till it breaks step down in the water then repeat it on the other side after 10 min of walking the legs were no longer numb

hnryclay
12-31-2010, 18:54
Boots, and Goretex Gaiters that are knee high are what I use, and stay dry in most cases. This is the case for miles and miles of slogging through snow melt as well. I rarely get wet feet with this combo, the boot in particular is an Asolo 520 and Outdoor research 16 inch Goretex Gaiters. However I feel any quality boot gaiter combo would work. I tried the all mesh trail runners, and they do not work in the winter for me. I have never tried crocs, nor do I own crocs. Before I was using this method I used TIVAs, this is just easier, and my feet don't get wet at all. That is in normal creeks, I have not tried to ford a 3' deep river in this setup and it would not work, just your average brook, or creek.

garlic08
12-31-2010, 20:05
Ditto the bare feet if the stream bottom is negotiable that way. If full of sharp rocks, socks off, shoes on.

fiddlehead
12-31-2010, 22:34
Each stream and each crossing can call for different techniques.
Usually, I just walk through with my shoes on.
But, i've tried and used most of the different ways listed on here usually depending on the temps.
Barefoot is best if you can do it. (as far as keeping warm afterwards)
Socks off, boots on is usually ok too.
I rock hop anything that i possibly can and have been known to travel as much as a mile looking for the best place to cross (not the AT however)
Cold cold water can suck for sure.
Just have lots of energy and move fast afterwards to keep the blood flowing till you dry things out.

Trailryder42
12-31-2010, 22:43
If full of sharp rocks, socks off, shoes on.

That doesn't make sense to me. If you meant to say "Crocs on", then sure.

If I wasn't going to just wade across in my hiking shoes/boots and had a pair of crocs, I'd take off my dry hiking shoes and socks, don the Crocs and make the crossing. Then re-don my dry shoes and socks.

Seems to me that if you can avoid having to hike in soaked shoes, you should.

When I first read that response I pictured you meaning to remove your socks and put your hiking shoes/boots back on for crossing the stream. You'd have to hike long enough in them for them to dry before re-donning your socks, or the socks would get soaked and you're still slogging along with wet feet.

weary
12-31-2010, 22:51
That doesn't make sense to me. If you meant to say "Crocs on", then sure.

If I wasn't going to just wade across in my hiking shoes/boots and had a pair of crocs, I'd take off my dry hiking shoes and socks, don the Crocs and make the crossing. Then re-don my dry shoes and socks.

Seems to me that if you can avoid having to hike in soaked shoes, you should.

When I first read that response I pictured you meaning to remove your socks and put your hiking shoes/boots back on for crossing the stream. You'd have to hike long enough in them for them to dry before re-donning your socks, or the socks would get soaked and you're still slogging along with wet feet.
Just try it. It works. Boots don't get soaked. Dump the water out. Mostly surface water remains.

QiWiz
01-01-2011, 19:09
Grin and bare it...I'll keep socks on at times for traction...so long as I keep Mr.Happy dry...my feet warm back up pretty fast...although I am considering bringing along my neoprene boots for my thru...

Agree = I would definitely go barefoot before getting my hiking shoes wet. Dry off feet quickly with a packtowel and put hiking shoes back on. Flowing water is no colder than 32 degrees while air temp may be colder. It's not as bad as it sounds. Your friends will be impressed till they try it and realize it's no big deal.

weary
01-01-2011, 19:48
Agree = I would definitely go barefoot before getting my hiking shoes wet. Dry off feet quickly with a packtowel and put hiking shoes back on. Flowing water is no colder than 32 degrees while air temp may be colder. It's not as bad as it sounds. Your friends will be impressed till they try it and realize it's no big deal.
Of course it's no big deal 95 plus % of the time. But the rest of the times in sub freezing situations, especially if a long way out, it can be life saving to stay dry.

The best way to stay dry is not to slip and get dunked. So if it looks pretty safe I remove my socks and walk across in my boot without socks. Replacing socks on the other side. Both boots and socks quickly dry in my expereince with my boots.

If the situation looks really hairy, I leave everything on and just cross. Or wait for a day or so for the water to go down.

No body has ever died from getting their hiking boots wet. Several probably have from slipping with bare feet and getting dunked in cold temperatures well away from civilization.