PDA

View Full Version : The Approach Trail (Silly question)

Fog Horn
12-26-2010, 13:49
I searched the forum for this question but came up empty so pardon me if its been discussed before, but I had a question about the approach trail.

In the beginning of the hike, no matter how much I'm conditioned before I go, I'd like to limit my hiking days to around ten miles (easier said than done, I know). This means that the approach trail would add an entire day to my schedule. I put in my head to skip it entirely (its just the approach trail, afterall) but when I was reading this forum it seems like the overwhelming majority of thru hikers also hike the approach trail.

Is there something that I'm missing here? Is it traditional to take the approach trail? Or is there a hiker cultural significance to it? Is there a reason that most people decide to do it other than that it is there?

I feel silly asking this, but if there is a significant reason to hiking the approach trail, I don't want to miss out.

atraildreamer
12-26-2010, 14:02
Is there something that I'm missing here? Is it traditional to take the approach trail? Or is there a hiker cultural significance to it? Is there a reason that most people decide to do it other than that it is there?

Well...how else are you going to get to the beginning of the AT? I don't think that any roads go to the top of Springer. What's one more day in a 5-6 month journey? Although you could emulate Jumpstart and skydive to the start of the trail. :-?

restless
12-26-2010, 14:11
Useless miles. Some hikers quit on the approach trail. Skip it. Take FR42 to the top of Springer. Walk 0.9mi S to the summit. Turn around. Walk to Maine. Quite simple actually.

springerfever
12-26-2010, 14:11
Easier access to trail than long forest service road.

Lots of folks like to weigh pack and "sign-in" at Amicalola Visitors Center.

If you use the FS42 trailhead you have to hike SOUTH, touch the start of the AT at Springer and then turnaround to head NORTH.

If you are planning an actual thru-hike, does adding an "entire day to your schedule" actually bother you. If so, thats probably going to be an issue for you not too far into your hike. All sorts of varaibles are going to force you to modify your schedule.

The eight or so miles to Springer shelter are not a cake-walk. You WILL be tired and that shelter will be a welcome sight for you. If you want to continue a few more.....Stover Creek shelter is a not too much furthur.

I would highly recommend the Approach trail for the above reasons.

max patch
12-26-2010, 14:13
I don't have any proof, but I suspect that most thru hikers start at the usfs 42 parking lot 0.9 miles north of Springer rather than the approach trail.

Reasons to start at the approach could include:

1. It used to be (most of it anyway) part of the original AT back when the trail started at Mt Ogelthorpe.

2. It only adds to day to a 6 month ish trip.

3. Some people like the idea of hiking up to Springer rather than driving up Springer.

4. The falls at the state park are the largest east of the Mississippi (disputed by some).

5. People like the tradition of weighing their pack at the ranger station.

6. You can get to AFSP on paved roads. Some people don't want their spouse or elderly parents driving alone on the forest service road.

In terms of thru hiking the AT it doesn't matter which one you choose.

Fog Horn
12-26-2010, 14:15
It doesn't bother me to add the extra day, I'm buffering my "schedule" with two weeks of just in case time (accident, injury, just plain tired and wanna spend more time in a hostel).

I just don't get the point of it. That's kinda why I asked.

How far south would you have to hike to touch the start of the AT?

There are a few shuttle services that go to Amicolola and then to Springer, which means (I think) I could sign the guest book and just move on.

I'm not counting it out, the approach trail, I'm just trying to weigh the pros and cons but didn't know any of them, which is why I'm asking the experienced hikers here :)

max patch
12-26-2010, 14:17
How far south would you have to hike to touch the start of the AT?

0.9 mile

Fog Horn
12-26-2010, 14:18
Thanks Max, that was extremely helpful and answered a question I had at the exact same time I asked it haha.

TheChop
12-26-2010, 14:26
My biggest reason for hiking the Approach is I don't like the idea of walking up to the beginning of the trail and then starting by walking down the trail I just walked up. Just the idea getting dropped off, walking up, turning around, walking back down, getting to the parking lot where I got dropped off and THEN I start really hiking the AT.

Hiking it kind of gives you a little ceremony in my mind. It's almost like the AppTrail is like that last leg of the Tour de France where it doesn't really count. You can use it to have people hike with you to begin with, etc. Also it doesn't take long to get to Springer so you can do a little half/three-quarter day dip your toe into it and then wake up and start hiking.

Lot of reasons for and against. My thinking is it's 2179 miles. What's another 8?

JERMM
12-26-2010, 14:33
My biggest reason for hiking the Approach is I don't like the idea of walking up to the beginning of the trail and then starting by walking down the trail I just walked up. Just the idea getting dropped off, walking up, turning around, walking back down, getting to the parking lot where I got dropped off and THEN I start really hiking the AT.

sounds like it's safe to say you won't be attempting a SOBO thru-hike

JERMM
12-26-2010, 14:37
Fog Horn, there's no need to hike the approach trail, it's not part of the AT, it's easy to get a ride up to FS42 parking lot where you'll be dropped of, from there it's an easy 0.9 mile hike up to the Springer Mtn summit, sign the register at the summit and start hiking.

tenn_hiker
12-26-2010, 14:47
why does it sound like that? jw

mweinstone
12-26-2010, 14:54
start at amacalola. sleep in the shelter at the visitors center. this way you say godby to folks who drove you and have a nite alone without haveing to hike after a long drive. you wont sleep a wink but youll spring up in the morning, and bolt to the top and get there early and rest and chat and have the slowest, easyest possible start so you can have all the time and energy to enjoy such a time. rush to the top and start from fs42? no.

Fog Horn
12-26-2010, 15:02
start at amacalola. sleep in the shelter at the visitors center. this way you say godby to folks who drove you and have a nite alone without haveing to hike after a long drive. you wont sleep a wink but youll spring up in the morning, and bolt to the top and get there early and rest and chat and have the slowest, easyest possible start so you can have all the time and energy to enjoy such a time. rush to the top and start from fs42? no.

The hostel there seems like a good place to say good bye to people, then sleep in a bed/bunk and they shuttle you to which ever start you want to go to. I don't see how it would be more of a rush and more stressful to start eight miles further up.

JERMM
12-26-2010, 15:08
why does it sound like that? jw

tenn-hiker, the Chop is said

IMO if someone doesn't like or want to hike the 0.9m to the Springer summit then they're probably not going to want the hike the 5.0m up the summit of Katahdin then back down the same section of trail to start a SOBO hike. Seems to me there's no difference in principle.

JERMM
12-26-2010, 15:11
The hostel there seems like a good place to say good bye to people, then sleep in a bed/bunk and they shuttle you to which ever start you want to go to. I don't see how it would be more of a rush and more stressful to start eight miles further up.

FH are you speaking of the Hiker Hostel, if you are then yes, stay with them the night before your hike and let then shuttle you to the FS42/Springer parking lot.

tenn_hiker
12-26-2010, 15:14

IMO if someone doesn't like or want to hike the 0.9m to the Springer summit then they're probably not going to want the hike the 5.0m up the summit of Katahdin then back down the same section of trail to start a SOBO hike. Seems to me there's no difference in principle.

yeah i guess so.. ive never looked into a SOBO hike so i didnt know you had to hike up and then back down. but if i went NOBO id rather do the approach trail cause springer mountain is the start of the A.T., the first summit you reach, its just the beginning of the next 4-6 months of your life. if it was me id hike the approach trail stay at the springer mountain shelter then get up early and get a good start on the trail

Slo-go'en
12-26-2010, 15:15
Since quite a few people now spend thier first night in Georgia at the Hiker Hostel which gives you the option of either starting at the FS road or the approch trail, I have a feeling a lot more people opt to skip the approch trail these days then in the past.

If you are staying at the hostel and don't mind paying for an extra night there, you could slack pack the approch trail as a warm up hike to streach your legs, which isn't a bad idea before you dive into the trail.

Fog Horn
12-26-2010, 15:23
yeah i guess so.. ive never looked into a SOBO hike so i didnt know you had to hike up and then back down. but if i went NOBO id rather do the approach trail cause springer mountain is the start of the A.T., the first summit you reach, its just the beginning of the next 4-6 months of your life. if it was me id hike the approach trail stay at the springer mountain shelter then get up early and get a good start on the trail

I get this mentality, I do. But I think my personality in general will have me thinking: I spent so long getting to this journey, putting my life in order so that I could hike for 5/6 months. Why hike the APPTrail when I can get this adventure started!

TheChop
12-26-2010, 15:28

I considered doing a SOBO but going all the way down to Georgia to do the AppTrail and then going all the way to Maine to start seems like a big hassle.

Although seriously if I was doing a SOBO hike I'd fly a helicopter to Baxter Peak, jump out and roll, get up and walk away while the helicopter crashes and explodes behind me. Like a boss.

mweinstone
12-26-2010, 15:33
remember, when you sleep at amacalola shelter at the visitor center, it means you dont have to arrive before dark. but if you drive to the trail and start hiking, it puts time constraints on the drive. spending the night at the shelter before hiking anywhere gives you that launchpad freedom of disconecting the ambilical cord and switching to internal systems. you can wake at dawn and split without speaking to a soul. and arrive at the summit haveing nary spoken a word. very relaxing way to start for me.

tenn_hiker
12-26-2010, 15:37
I get this mentality, I do. But I think my personality in general will have me thinking: I spent so long getting to this journey, putting my life in order so that I could hike for 5/6 months. Why hike the APPTrail when I can get this adventure started!

yeah theres no right or wrong answer about hiking the app trail. some people like it some dont.

I considered doing a SOBO but going all the way down to Georgia to do the AppTrail and then going all the way to Maine to start seems like a big hassle.
1st. why would you do the app trail then go to maine and start? do the approach trail when you get to springer mountain..

Although seriously if I was doing a SOBO hike I'd fly a helicopter to Baxter Peak, jump out and roll, get up and walk away while the helicopter crashes and explodes behind me. Like a boss.

2nd. thats an awsome idea!! haha

bigcranky
12-26-2010, 16:40
Historically most folks got dropped off at the park, and hiked the approach trail. Driving to the top seems to have become a lot more popular in recent years, though.

We did the Approach Trail in '03 on our long section hike. Glad we did it. If I ever get to start a thru-hike in Georgia, I'll probably do it again. I would enjoy the climb, and I would want to spend the first night on Springer itself. And there's something that just feels right about walking through the arch to start the hike.

Do the approach trail, don't do it, whatever makes you happy.

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/2/6/6/start_thumb.jpg (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=10926&c=member&imageuser=266)

ChinMusic
12-26-2010, 17:03
remember, when you sleep at amacalola shelter at the visitor center, it means you dont have to arrive before dark. but if you drive to the trail and start hiking, it puts time constraints on the drive. spending the night at the shelter before hiking anywhere gives you that launchpad freedom of disconecting the ambilical cord and switching to internal systems. you can wake at dawn and split without speaking to a soul. and arrive at the summit haveing nary spoken a word. very relaxing way to start for me.
I plan on just taking a nice short afternoon hike from the Falls to the Len Foote Inn. Day 2 would get me to Springer well before noon and on to Hawk.

I've done exactly this before on a section hike and liked it.

weary
12-26-2010, 18:43
Ah. It's a never ending question. The Appalachian Trail runs from mountain summit to mountain summit. How does one traditionally get to a summit? One walks up.

Now it just happens that Springer, being a pretty low and easy mountain, has a road almost all the way up. Some prefer to ride up mountains whenever possible. I suggest that those that prefer driving spend their six months driving up and down to the short trail at the end of the forest service road to the top Springer, and to Kingmans Dome, Mount Washington, and other peaks that allow one to escape walking. It certainly would be an interesting way to explore parts of the trail. Bill Bryson became famous and rich driving a lot of roads that came reasonably close to the Appalachian Trail.

The rest of us who wish to proclaim our walking proclivities should ideally start at the base of the mountains that lead to the summits of the two trail termini.

Fog Horn
12-26-2010, 18:53
That seems overly harsh weary. If someone doesn't want to take the approach trail they may as well not hike the AT?

I think that if someone decides to walk over two thousand miles, they're proclaiming their walking proclivity with that.

(also Bill Bryson's A Walk in the Woods was written a decade AFTER he got rich and famous for writing travel and language books)

rickb
12-26-2010, 20:09

As a SOBO, I started at Roaring Brook Campground (on the north side of Katahdin) in order to avoid backtracking.

At the time, I thought it was more poetic to see that my first step ever on the AT was at Baxter Peak on Katahdin.

Why walk backwards? That's just dumb. ;-)

Toolshed
12-26-2010, 20:14
I don't have any empirical data, but I would imagine that most who started at SFR42 and finished probably wished they'd have started at Amicalola...

Tinker
12-26-2010, 20:16
Ah. It's a never ending question. The Appalachian Trail runs from mountain summit to mountain summit. How does one traditionally get to a summit? One walks up.

Now it just happens that Springer, being a pretty low and easy mountain, has a road almost all the way up. Some prefer to ride up mountains whenever possible. I suggest that those that prefer driving spend their six months driving up and down to the short trail at the end of the forest service road to the top Springer, and to Kingmans Dome, Mount Washington, and other peaks that allow one to escape walking. It certainly would be an interesting way to explore parts of the trail. Bill Bryson became famous and rich driving a lot of roads that came reasonably close to the Appalachian Trail.

The rest of us who wish to proclaim our walking proclivities should ideally start at the base of the mountains that lead to the summits of the two trail termini.

True purists start at sea level: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=38618&catid=member&imageuser=2502

Fog Horn
12-26-2010, 20:18
I don't have any empirical data, but I would imagine that most who started at SFR42 and finished probably wished they'd have started at Amicalola...

I think that is the part that I am internally battling with. I don't want to finish and then feel like I'm missing out on some important part of the trail. That's why I asked on this thread, because logically, on paper, there is absolutely no need to do the APPTrail.

I'm leaning towards the idea of slackpacking it and spending another night at the hostel.

rickb
12-26-2010, 20:22
I think that is the part that I am internally battling with. I don't want to finish and then feel like I'm missing out on some important part of the trail. That's why I asked on this thread, because logically, on paper, there is absolutely no need to do the APPTrail.

I'm leaning towards the idea of slackpacking it and spending another night at the hostel.

I think that might make you the first to take that approach.

max patch
12-26-2010, 20:24
If you're interested in history the Black Gap shelter on the approach used to be the old Springer Mtn shelter and was helicoptered to its current site years ago.

Good ole Wingfoot had an interesting perspective on hiking the approach (his recommendation) versus driving to the summit. He pointed out that those who take short cuts early - even before getting to the start of the trail! - are more likely to take short cuts later. Slippery slope and all that.

Lone Wolf
12-26-2010, 20:33
sure it's just an 8 mile non-AT blue-blaze side trail and over 6 months it shouldn't matter but there's hundreds of miles of blue-blaze side trails that most "through hikers" never see and they're much more scenic and rewarding.

Fog Horn
12-26-2010, 20:43
If you're interested in history the Black Gap shelter on the approach used to be the old Springer Mtn shelter and was helicoptered to its current site years ago.

Good ole Wingfoot had an interesting perspective on hiking the approach (his recommendation) versus driving to the summit. He pointed out that those who take short cuts early - even before getting to the start of the trail! - are more likely to take short cuts later. Slippery slope and all that.

But its not a short cut. Its not part of the trail.

max patch
12-26-2010, 20:58

It used to be...

I started at Nimblewill Gap. Wouldn't do that again. I'll start at AFSP and do the approach next time. But thats just me. You can do whatever you want with a clean conscience; the white blazes don't start until the you reach the summit of Springer.

bigcranky
12-26-2010, 21:46

True. But you'll walk plenty of miles that aren't part of the Trail.

For our first long section, we left our car at The Hike Inn near Fontana Dam, and got a ride from Jeff, the owner, to Springer. I'll never forget him telling us that at some point, somewhere up the Trail, we would be glad that we had done the Approach Trail. He was right.

This is just me, and I don't judge anybody else, but I would feel like I was cheating myself, just a little, if I got a ride to the top.

mweinstone
12-26-2010, 21:51
is proclivity something to do with a womans body?

trailangelbronco
12-26-2010, 22:42
I remember reading posts on Wing Foot's old site 10-12 years ago and they were a bunch of so called hard core thru hikers. They hated many things, like slack packing, blue blazing, Day hikers, section hikers and especially SouthBounders. I'd love to gether some of those hardcore's and see their opinion, lol.

As I stated earlier, I'll be dropping jet packs along the trail and dropping them before each tough elevation gain. I'll try to leave a lil juice in the first one and maybe someone can pack it back down for ya at Amicalola.

max patch
12-26-2010, 22:46
I remember reading posts on Wing Foot's old site 10-12 years ago and they were a bunch of so called hard core thru hikers. They hated many things, like slack packing, blue blazing, Day hikers, section hikers and especially SouthBounders. I'd love to gether some of those hardcore's and see their opinion, lol.

That is 100% wrong.

weary
12-26-2010, 22:57
That seems overly harsh weary. If someone doesn't want to take the approach trail they may as well not hike the AT?

I think that if someone decides to walk over two thousand miles, they're proclaiming their walking proclivity with that.

(also Bill Bryson's A Walk in the Woods was written a decade AFTER he got rich and famous for writing travel and language books)
I'm not necessarily suggesting that. Just suggesting that a few mountains have options. I tend to take the option "less traveled by."

Such as on Mount Washington in New Hampshire. The summit has had both a road and a railroad to the summit for most of a century and a half. I've never counted, but I've probably been on the summit two dozen times. Once as a child I traveled by train though it was so long ago I don't remember the trip. A couple of times I've driven, mostly to take my aging mother, who first walked me up. FWIW those proved to be her final trips to top.

The rest of the time, I've walked up. My most vivid memories have involved walking to the top. But that's just me. Drive up Springer if you think that would be more exciting or more fun. I'll walk

trailangelbronco
12-26-2010, 23:04
That is 100% wrong.

I remember it very well. Maybe not all, but most.

weary
12-26-2010, 23:07
is proclivity something to do with a womans body?
I have no idea what it means. It had a good sound so I added it to my post. I know nothing about meaning. But if it sounds good, it is good, as someone said once. Maybe Duke Ellington.

mweinstone
12-26-2010, 23:07
A P P A L A C H I A N
A P P R O A C H

gabish?

QiWiz
12-26-2010, 23:12
I prefer not to drive up a road to the AT, hike SOBO to the summit of Springer, then retrace my steps NOBO on the AT to where I started. Just doesn't seem right to me. I prefer the suffering/work of hiking most of a day just to reach my starting point. Seems more meaninglful and "worthy" somehow. Also not the easiest way to do it, which adds appeal.

Fog Horn
12-26-2010, 23:20
The rest of the time, I've walked up. My most vivid memories have involved walking to the top. But that's just me. Drive up Springer if you think that would be more exciting or more fun. I'll walk

I hear ya. I didn't start this thread trying to pit one view against another. Just trying to see if I would be missing out on something by missing that part of the "trail". I thank you for your opinion :)

pro·cliv·i·ty (prhttp://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/omacr.gif-klhttp://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/ibreve.gifvhttp://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/prime.gifhttp://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/ibreve.gif-thttp://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/emacr.gif)n. pl. pro·cliv·i·ties A natural propensity or inclination; predisposition.

scope
12-26-2010, 23:26

Definitely not a short cut, sort of part of the trail, but not in a technical sense. Its all just hiking, whether you start at Amicalola or not. I personally can't imagine after walking 2000+ miles that I'd be really bent out of shape about 8+ miles I "missed" at the beginning. However, I will say that beginning at Amicalola seems to me more like the beginning of a great trail than does the dinky parking lot on FS42.

mweinstone
12-26-2010, 23:41
if post counts dont denote wisdom, how come i glance over there when im reading someones post?

is this thread good because were all hiking the approach vicariously in our minds right now?

and what does it mean when thrus are asked," so how far is the whole trail?"
and they answer,"its 2179 miles,...well,...plus 8 for the approch trail,...witch i did."

are there bears on the approach trail?
is the approach trail like being at the foot of everest for anyone else? no? just me? k.

pistol p
12-27-2010, 00:06

Ohhh, that would be tight!!!

TheChop
12-27-2010, 00:26
Then I'd brush the dust off my shoulder, put on my shades and say, "That's gonna leave a trace."

Trailweaver
12-27-2010, 02:09
The only thing special about the approach trail is a huge flight of stairs. With a loaded pack, I wouldn't think this would be much fun. Do it as a day hike without a pack, then get your shuttle to the Springer parking lot. Hike to the top of Springer, sign the shelter register, and then go on your way NOBO. If you hike the approach trail with your loaded pack, you may very well quit at the top of Springer. ; - ) I've heard so many people gripe about the approach trail I can't tell you - there's nothing that is written in stone that says you have to do that trail in order to start hiking the AT!

DapperD
12-27-2010, 02:14
I searched the forum for this question but came up empty so pardon me if its been discussed before, but I had a question about the approach trail.

In the beginning of the hike, no matter how much I'm conditioned before I go, I'd like to limit my hiking days to around ten miles (easier said than done, I know). This means that the approach trail would add an entire day to my schedule. I put in my head to skip it entirely (its just the approach trail, afterall) but when I was reading this forum it seems like the overwhelming majority of thru hikers also hike the approach trail.

I feel silly asking this, but if there is a significant reason to hiking the approach trail, I don't want to miss out.From what I understand, it is somewhat traditional for those beginning a thru-hike at Springer Mountain to begin their approach to it by starting at the visitor center at Amicalola Falls State Park, walking thru the stone archway, and then beginning an ascent to the top of the falls by climbing which is now like 425 stairs. If this isn't the way you want to begin, and you don't feel like starting ahead of Springer Mountain and hiking about 1 mile back to it, then what I have learned is that you can have someone drive you up to the top of the falls, where there is an upper lot, bathrooms, soda machine, etc...and across from that lot is the approach trail, where it begins atop the falls. You can begin your hike from there, and I think it is like 8 miles or so to Springer Mountain. This way may be preferable to you since you won't have to backtrack, and you will still be able to begin your hike at Amicalola:sun.

Nokia
12-27-2010, 04:45
Done both. The approach trail is a waste of time. Plus when you get to the first road crossing you are going to go back to the hotel for more buffet. Then prolly zero a day away. Well, I would.:D

Carbo
12-27-2010, 06:51
Shakespeare had the approach trail in mind when he wrote: Much Ado About Nothing. It don't make no difference one way or the other in the end.

Lone Wolf
12-27-2010, 07:12
It don't make no difference one way or the other in the end.

true cuz most who start will never make it to the end

MedicineMan
12-27-2010, 07:31
Just happened to notice that Lone Wolf has almost as many posts as miles under his boots, now there is wisdom shared and trodden.

TheChop
12-27-2010, 09:26
The only thing special about the approach trail is a huge flight of stairs. With a loaded pack, I wouldn't think this would be much fun.

The only thing special about the Appalachian Trail is the 2175 mile length. With a loaded pack, I wouldn't think this would be much fun.:D

Lone Wolf
12-27-2010, 09:45
I feel silly asking this, but if there is a significant reason to hiking the approach trail, I don't want to miss out.
no reason. no sense running extra miles when trying to run a marathon.
the cutesy little arch, scale and shelters on the blu-blaze trail weren't always there

springerfever
12-27-2010, 09:47
[QUOTE=Trailweaver;1084455]The only thing special about the approach trail is a huge flight of stairs. With a loaded pack, I wouldn't think this would be much fun.

Stairs are just a little warmup for the climb up Mt. Albert, just north of Standing Indian in North Carolina.

AT doesn't actually start till the first whiteblaze atop Springer. It don't make no difference whether you hike the approach or not...HYOH.

Personally, when I start my thru-hike, I will hike the approach and take my time with picture taking and meeting other potential thruhikers. I've been wanting to thru-hike for the last ten years and I might actually attempt the slowest thruhike possible. But then, that's just me !!

The Scribe
12-27-2010, 10:20
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChop http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/wb_style/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=1084208#post1084208)

Ohhh, that would be tight!!!

Walk away? LOL. Running maybe.....from the Baxter Park Authority. LOL.

weary
12-27-2010, 12:02
The only thing special about the approach trail is a huge flight of stairs. With a loaded pack, I wouldn't think this would be much fun. Do it as a day hike without a pack, then get your shuttle to the Springer parking lot. Hike to the top of Springer, sign the shelter register, and then go on your way NOBO. If you hike the approach trail with your loaded pack, you may very well quit at the top of Springer. ; - ) I've heard so many people gripe about the approach trail I can't tell you - there's nothing that is written in stone that says you have to do that trail in order to start hiking the AT!
Trailweaver. Hadn't you noticed yet. There is nothing written in stone about any part of the Appalachian Trail, and except for a few places like Katahdin, nothing special. It's all just trails, through the woods, up and down mountains, along roads, past towns.

I found the approach trail an interesting trail -- even before they built those convenient steps to the top of one of the largest waterfalls in the east, itself well worth pondering. I started late in the day and camped the first night beside a pretty stream and spent the evening identifying the first spring flowers.

The approach trail had other distractions. More wild flowers. The wreck of a single engine plane, and, of course, the historic plaque picturing a hiker in an ancient pack that announced the start of the Appalachian Trail. As I remember was plaque was just as one approached the summit from the trail coming up from Amicalola Park. From the forest service road one would have to cross the summit of Springer before seeing this landmark of the Appalachian Trail, which tells us something about the history of this unique trail and the role of the state park in this history.

jersey joe
12-27-2010, 13:39
One reason why I hiked the approach trail is because of how Bryson wrote about it. He sort of made it more famous by writing about how he and Katz struggled up it.

trailangelbronco
12-27-2010, 14:09
Too bad they never really did

Fog Horn
12-27-2010, 14:49
The approach trail had other distractions. More wild flowers. The wreck of a single engine plane, and, of course, the historic plaque picturing a hiker in an ancient pack that announced the start of the Appalachian Trail. As I remember was plaque was just as one approached the summit from the trail coming up from Amicalola Park. From the forest service road one would have to cross the summit of Springer before seeing this landmark of the Appalachian Trail, which tells us something about the history of this unique trail and the role of the state park in this history.

I don't think there will be any flowers when I plan on passing through, but whats up with the wreck of a single engine plane? Is that still there?

I think I'm pretty much sold with the water fall, but throw in a plane wreck and no can defend.

Fog Horn
12-27-2010, 14:54
One reason why I hiked the approach trail is because of how Bryson wrote about it. He sort of made it more famous by writing about how he and Katz struggled up it.

I love a couple of his other books but I had a really hard time getting through the Walk in the Woods. Katz made it funny, because of his struggles and his sarcastic attitude, but I lost interest as soon as I read that he went home, and they weren't planning on finishing the trail.

Blissful
12-27-2010, 14:54
Useless miles. Some hikers quit on the approach trail. Skip it. Take FR42 to the top of Springer. Walk 0.9mi S to the summit. Turn around. Walk to Maine. Quite simple actually.

With that kind of attitude Maine will be hard to reach...

Best to see now if you are ready for this adventure or not. If you can't do this or aren't flexible enough to add a day to one's schedule, you likely will not be able to the rest.

So do the approach trail.

im(humble)o

Phreak
12-27-2010, 15:03
I don't think there will be any flowers when I plan on passing through, but whats up with the wreck of a single engine plane? Is that still there?

I think I'm pretty much sold with the water fall, but throw in a plane wreck and no can defend.
There is a plaque near the crash site but I haven't physically scene any wreckage in the area.

max patch
12-27-2010, 16:02
but whats up with the wreck of a single engine plane? Is that still there?

Twenty five years or so after the crash (!) the remains of the plane were finally removed around 1995 ish.

Red Raven
12-27-2010, 16:41
Just curious, but why doesn't the AT just start in Amicalola Falls State Park?

(Forgive me if this is obvious to most. I'm realtively new to the AT.)

Fog Horn
12-27-2010, 16:52
Just curious, but why doesn't the AT just start in Amicalola Falls State Park?

(Forgive me if this is obvious to most. I'm realtively new to the AT.)

I think they want it to go summit to summit.

weary
12-27-2010, 17:26

All depends on your start date. I've seen bloodroot near Amicalola as early as mid Marsh. By early April through May it will be a common plant through Georgia and North Carolina and on higher elevations even further north.

I'm not a flower person, but I do like to identify whatever I see while hiking. Aside from adding to knowledge about the trail, It's an excuse for taking a break without announcing "I'm old and tired, and need to stop for a few minutes."

The need for a rest is another reason for carrying a camera. There's nothing like taking five minutes lining up the perfect lighting for a photo for catching one's breath and resting your knees.

Carbo
12-27-2010, 17:43
I think they want it to go summit to summit.

They? The hike your own hike rule makers?

Fog Horn
12-27-2010, 17:46
They? The hike your own hike rule makers?

That doesn't make sense. People who hike the AT aren't the ones who declare where the start is nor the finish. They hike what is already declared.

kolokolo
12-27-2010, 18:12
Haven't seen the arch or the approach trail at Amicolala Falls. Started a long section hike at FS42, hiking from there to the top of Springer. Don't know if I missed anything or not.

I only know the approach trail from pictures and descriptions, and it sounds like for some people it is a good thing. It is a symbolic start for their hike, an official place to begin that looks like the beginning of a great hike. If a hiker finds that motivating, then more power to them.

Maybe it's different on a thru hike, too, where you are planning to cover the entire trail. For me, with time constraints, tacking on another 8 miles that were not even part of the trail didn't make sense.

Everybody has to set their own priorities, find their own sources of motivation, and hike their own hike.

Carbo
12-27-2010, 18:13
That doesn't make sense. People who hike the AT aren't the ones who declare where the start is nor the finish. They hike what is already declared.

You're right, it doesn't make sense.

The people telling us where to hike on the AT, have not hiked the AT? I'll stop now since I'm just glad to have a trail to hike, wherever it starts and ends.

10-K
12-27-2010, 18:16

Both sobos and nobos have to go up and come down Katahdin...

Sobos actually have it easier because they can walk *down* the approach trail instead of up it. Katahdin is the same for both.

Blissful
12-27-2010, 18:17
I'm just glad to have a trail to hike, wherever it starts and ends.

The quote of the day.

Nice

:)

Blissful
12-27-2010, 18:18
Both sobos and nobos have to go up and come down Katahdin...

Sobos actually have it easier because they can walk *down* the approach trail instead of up it. Katahdin is the same for both.

ha ha I didn't go down the approach trail. No way. :)

10-K
12-27-2010, 18:20
ha ha I didn't go down the approach trail. No way. :)

I said "can", not "must". :)

I didn't hike the approach trail either but I'm going to when I hike the BMT...

Blissful
12-27-2010, 18:26
I think the Approach is a must for NOBOS just so you get acclimated more quickly to the trail. Plus its just a great way to start things off (of course this is strictly my opinion. ). SOBOS have no choice they must do a VERY difficult approach to begin their hike. Honestly, people complaining about hiking the little ol Springer Approach trail should try doing the approach to Katahdin right off the bat on tender feet and no shape.

SOBO at Springer - who cares about an approach trail? You're done! (or almost, in my case)

George
12-27-2010, 19:04
skip the approach trail, smokies to it's kinda tough, virginia drags on skip that also, god gave legs to walk but also a thumb to hitch so use it - still call yourself a thru, bryson did

weary
12-27-2010, 19:05
.....I'm just glad to have a trail to hike, wherever it starts and ends.
I'm just glad to have trails to hike, wherever they start or end. I went to Georgia to see some southern trails and after exploring them to see if I could get back home by walking north.

So I took the approach trail and virtually every other side trail that struck me as interesting at the time. One or two were short cuts. Most made the route longer because they lead to interesting overlooks and waterfalls.

I dawdled so long that I had to bypass Massachusetts and Connnecticut in order to make Katahdin before snowfall. Why Katahdin? It just seemed like the proper end to six months in the mountains and woods. I had previously done all of Maine at least twice, some of Maine, including Katahdin, dozens of times. As they say hike your own hike. Mine that year called for much hiked Katahdin, not since-hiked CT-MA. TEHO

jersey joe
12-27-2010, 20:11
Another reason to hike the approach trail is because the park just seems like the perfecf starting point. Loved ones, or whomever, have a place to drop you off and say goodbye. The arch serves as a nice gateway to the north.

Lone Wolf
12-27-2010, 20:53
skip the approach trail, smokies to it's kinda tough, virginia drags on skip that also, god gave legs to walk but also a thumb to hitch so use it - still call yourself a thru, bryson did

bryson never called himself a through hiker. get your facts straight and quit postin' on your emotions :cool:

George
12-27-2010, 20:57
no emotions , just stirren the pot

Lone Wolf
12-27-2010, 21:11
no emotions , just stirren the pot

ok. i've never done that

Fog Horn
12-27-2010, 21:14
ok. i've never done that

I'm new here and even I can LOL at that ;)

SwitchbackVT
12-27-2010, 22:01
I definitely plan on starting with the approach trail next March. No, those miles don't technically count, but I think passing beneath that arch is a great tradition and something I'll remember fondly.

You're still going to be a thru hiker whether you do those miles or not though, so don't stress about it too much. If you're hike starts by rallying a car up a rugged dirt road, that's cool too--you're still hiking the AT so who gives a damn! Good luck, see you on the trail!:sun

Doc Mike
12-27-2010, 22:16
Tthe only person you have to justify your choice to is you. HYOH

Sassafras Lass
12-28-2010, 12:47
and to Kingmans Dome [QUOTE]
Did you mean Clingman's Dome?

[QUOTE=Trailweaver;1084455] I've heard so many people gripe about the approach trail I can't tell you - there's nothing that is written in stone that says you have to do that trail in order to start hiking the AT!
While that's true, it seems odd to me that folks wouldn't start off doing some real hiking - if you can't hack stairs how can you hack the trail?

I found the approach trail an interesting trail -- even before they built those convenient steps to the top of one of the largest waterfalls in the east, itself well worth pondering. ..... As I remember was plaque was just as one approached the summit from the trail coming up from Amicalola Park. From the forest service road one would have to cross the summit of Springer before seeing this landmark of the Appalachian Trail, which tells us something about the history of this unique trail and the role of the state park in this history.
Question - I'm trying to find information on Springer Mt. and keep finding a bunch of stuff that's not easy to wade through. Essentially, the approach trail is the trail that goes past the waterfall, yes? And it begins at the Visitor's Center? Is there more than one hiking trail to reach the summit? And I gather that the Lodge is halfway up the mountain? (not that we're staying, we're pushing to either Springer shelter or Stover Creek)

It is a symbolic start for their hike, an official place to begin that looks like the beginning of a great hike. .... Everybody has to set their own priorities, find their own sources of motivation, and hike their own hike.
So true.

The arch serves as a nice gateway to the north.
I agree - I can't wait to get our first AT photo there. :)

rapchizzle
12-28-2010, 22:08
I definitely plan on starting with the approach trail next March. No, those miles don't technically count, but I think passing beneath that arch is a great tradition and something I'll remember fondly.

I'm right there with you. I mean, if I'm going to hike for 4-6 months, what's a few more miles?

Lone Wolf
12-28-2010, 22:13
that arch is a very recent "tradition"

mweinstone
12-29-2010, 11:53
wolf is a bubble burster. i admit i enjoy a good bubble bursting myself. right now wolfs thinking hes only pionting out fact. and now hes thinking, thats right matty, in an effort to teach. and now hes thinking,...matty needs to get out of that city and come live in the south. and now hes thinking i can move in to his back step. and now hes thinking of going for a stroll.the arch's recentness or not recentness is popycock. the arch is nothing. its the scale. thats the money memory!lol.

jersey joe
12-29-2010, 12:03
that arch is a very recent "tradition"
Perhaps, but it's a good one!

jersey joe
12-29-2010, 12:04
the arch is nothing. its the scale. thats the money memory!lol.
Wouldn't it be great if they had a scale hanging from the center of the arch?!?

weary
12-29-2010, 14:15
Some trail miles are more interesting than others, but I've never experienced a trail that had only "useless miles."

Far more useless in my opinion is walking 2,175 miles and hating most of the weeks and months while doing so. I hiked because I enjoyed doing so. Not to claim an imaginary glory.

I was appalled by the number of hikers I met who complained daily about the trail and couldn't wait until the ordeal ended. Their celebration on the summit of Katahdin must have been somewhat like a celebration when being discharged from a hospital after a long illness.

My advice is not to thru hike if you don't enjoy the process. Because once it ends no one will much care, one way, or the other.

4eyedbuzzard
12-29-2010, 14:28
...Far more useless in my opinion is walking 2,175 miles and hating most of the weeks and months while doing so. I hiked because I enjoyed doing so. Not to claim an imaginary glory.

I was appalled by the number of hikers I met who complained daily about the trail and couldn't wait until the ordeal ended. Their celebration on the summit of Katahdin must have been somewhat like a celebration when being discharged from a hospital after a long illness.

My advice is not to thru hike if you don't enjoy the process. Because once it ends no one will much care, one way, or the other.
Fascinating, isn't it? :-? It's almost as if some are pointing a gun to their own head. I understand a little griping when things don't go as planned or having one or two bad days, but it shouldn't be a ongoing miserable undertaking as there's ultimately no point or reason to do it, other than enjoying the hike itself.

tenn_hiker
12-29-2010, 14:31
I suggest that those that prefer driving spend their six months driving up and down to the short trail at the end of the forest service road to the top Springer, and to Kingmans Dome, Mount Washington, and other peaks that allow one to escape walking.

FYI its clingmans dome... not kingmans... just sayin

weary
12-29-2010, 17:38
Yeah. I know. I figured that out a bit ago. I've only been on Clingmans dome a half dozen times. I wonder why some names just sort sneak away.

Fog Horn
12-29-2010, 20:05
Yeah. I know. I figured that out a bit ago. I've only been on Clingmans dome a half dozen times. I wonder why some names just sort sneak away.

I do this with people all the time. I can see myself annoying the crud out of people on the trail by not remembering their trail or real names, lol

DrRichardCranium
12-29-2010, 22:33

We could compromise and call it Klingons Dome.

10-K
12-29-2010, 22:36
Fascinating, isn't it? :-? It's almost as if some are pointing a gun to their own head. I understand a little griping when things don't go as planned or having one or two bad days, but it shouldn't be a ongoing miserable undertaking as there's ultimately no point or reason to do it, other than enjoying the hike itself.

I've given this some thought, remembering some of the people I talked to that had this mindset and I believe most of them were short on cash.

Which makes sense. Once it becomes "just a hike" with very limited opportunity for some playtime off the trail it just becomes a chore and something to get done and over with.

Sugarfoot
12-30-2010, 12:46
Springer is different than Katahdin. With Katahdin, there is absolutely no doubt that you are at the beginning or the end of something big. It is a spectacular climb. Springer isn't that way. If not for the hiker dude plaque and the first white blaze, it would be just another of Georgia's lovely mountains. It's neither the tallest nor the most beautiful mountain in the state. When I begin something, I like to feel like I'm at a beginning. So I've always hiked the approach trail. By the time I get to Springer, my mind is adjusted to the woods. On the summit of Frosty Mountain, I take a break and give thanks that I can't hear cars or see civilization. The quiet calms me and when I get to Springer, the few hours it takes to get there makes me feel like I'm on sacred ground. That's my reason for starting at Amicolola, even though given the condition of my knees, I'll probably start at the top of the Falls next time. If you have the 2011 ATC calendar, take a look at the photo for next December. Van Hill of Georgia has done a beautiful job of capturing the summit of Springer in winter and the light conveys the spirit I feel on that mountain. Good job, Van!

ARambler
12-30-2010, 15:04
... When I begin something, I like to feel like I'm at a beginning. So I've always hiked the approach trail. ...!

I've been away from whiteblaze for awhile. When did it become acceptable to stay on topic for 100 posts???

I have only hiked 4 approach trails, from: the visitor center, the lodge (top of falls), FS 42, and Woody Gap. So, when I hike Springer from the Len Foote/hike Inn, and do it a 6th time, I will know which trail was best for me on the 6th hike. What I can say so far, is that the order of the various approches does not seem to be important to me. I like the option of repeating (so far only FS 42) or doing the trail a new way. The best hike was after an ice storm from the Lodge. This could have easily been the worst hike with slightly different weather of start time.
Rambler

soccrosse
12-31-2010, 07:58
Sounds like you have already made up your mind. Enjoy, and "hike your own hike".

Fog Horn
12-31-2010, 09:13
Sounds like you have already made up your mind. Enjoy, and "hike your own hike".

Thanks!! That is what this forum is good for, you can get the pros and cons on virtually anything hiking.

max patch
12-31-2010, 09:39
I don't think anyone has mentioned the "other approach" to Springer; drive about a mile or so past the fs42 parking lot to the Benton MacKaye trail and hike it SOBO to its intersection with the AT just north of the start of the trail.

SouthMark
12-31-2010, 10:11
Just wondering; if you were running a marathon would you start a few miles before the starting line? Just asking.

max patch
12-31-2010, 10:38
Just wondering; if you were running a marathon would you start a few miles before the starting line? Just asking.

Actually yes, I slowly jog for about a mile before a marathon.

bigcranky
12-31-2010, 11:53

No, I would have my car drop me at the EXACT starting line, so I wouldn't have to walk an inch more than the 26.1 miles I chose to run. :rolleyes:

Or maybe I would swim a couple of miles, then ride my bike to the starting line....

Rain Man
12-31-2010, 12:03

I've run lots of races in my day and you betcha, I'd run some warm up laps before lining up at the starting line.

Of course, the analogy is totally false. A marathon is a race. The AT is not a race. The AT is more like signing a song. Do you sing a song to see how fast you can do it, or do you sing it to enjoy the words and melody at a good "speed"?

False analogies give false answers. ;)

I've been to Springer twice. Once I did the approach trail, once I didn't. I hiked my own hike, according to the situation.

Rain:sunMan

10-K
12-31-2010, 12:39
How much does it cost to hike the approach trail?

ChinMusic
12-31-2010, 12:40
Actually yes, I slowly jog for about a mile before a marathon.
Proportionally the jog would be a bit over 500 feet for the Approach Trail......:D

Speakeasy TN
12-31-2010, 14:12
I've already hiked the approach trail, so I have no intention of adding it to the Thru. So early in the year, there won't be any of the wildflowers that are the redeeming part of the hike. My big reason is so that my wife and I can be together at the start of the adventure. The parting whenever it comes won't be easy, but I'd rather start with a kiss!

scope
12-31-2010, 15:36
How much does it cost to hike the approach trail?

$1 ...I'll be standing at the arch with a bucket come March. Its a bargain really with the words of inspiration I'll give, plus a few ibuprofen. :banana;)

I dunno, what would you do if your marathon choices were... 1-start at the back of the pack which would be the same percentage mileage behind the starting line (apprx a tenth of a mile); or 2-ride in a golf cart to the line and start running from there? :-?

Indi
12-31-2010, 18:04
$1 ...I'll be standing at the arch with a bucket come March. Its a bargain really with the words of inspiration I'll give, plus a few ibuprofen. :banana;)

That does sound like a hell of a deal to me. I'd buy that for a dollar. :D